Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Has anyone received their room earlier than the check-in time of 4:00pm? We are taking a red eye from Los Angeles and arriving at 6:30am at Orlando. Taking the magical express, I think we should arrive at the resort around 9:00am-9:30am. Of course I am not expecting to get the room at time, just wanted an idea from other that have arrived early to the resort.

Thanks

Not a red eye traveler, but I would pack a separate bag with suits (or at least comfy lounging clothes), and grab a lounger at the pool, a stiff adult drink, and relax until your room was ready (if it is not ready when you arrive). That sounds heavenly, to be honest!

We checked out on Saturday, the 24th. :( We only had a standard room and chose upper floor and close to lobby for online check in with an early arrival- 8 or 9am, I can't remember which. Then 7 days before check-in I sent a fax respectfully requesting 2 things- a partial savanna view and bunk beds (that was the last day I was able to send a fax before leaving as we were staying at POR for our first 6 nights and then switched to AKL for the last 3). We received our room ready text at 9:50 am. We were assigned room 4132 and it was perfect for us! We were right above the people pen, very close to the lobby and the kids got bunk beds. It was amazing. We never saw animals in the morning- only in the afternoons/evenings when we would go back for a break and swim. It truly was awesome to walk into our room and see the giraffes or zebras just beyond our balcony! We loved AKL. :love:

How big are the bunk beds? Just wondering if my kids are getting too big/tall for them? One kid is about 5'6, the other 5'2. Both are close to 150lbs...

Oh my! So excited! 15 more days! We're doing CL this trip and plan to hang around the resort. Besides the pools, what are some of your favorite resort activities? DD9 and DS5.

Also, has anyone seen a July activity calendar yet?

Aussietravellers here is a link ot the page on wdwinfo with the animals http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/animal-kingdom-lodge/animals.htm

Thank you :goodvibes They have changed since we were last there.

Thank you :goodvibes. Yes, we know about the info in the room, we have stayed there before, but haven't for 7 years, so thought they may have changed (which they have). We always on the same savannah (one trip of 2 weeks and one trip of 3 weeks). So wanted to know before we left to request a savannah.
Just FYI, the info. in the link appears to be very dated, as in they don't even have the correct size for Sunset savanna which was enlarged when Kidani was built. They move animals around too, so there will be changes from 7 years ago!

Is there an elevator that's goes to pool level from the Zebra trail

Yes, we were on the Zebra Trail. Part of us were closer to the lobby and the other part were farther from the lobby and the elevator was between us. We met at the lobby frequently to go down to the lobby or pool/food court.

Yes, we were on the Zebra Trail. Part of us were closer to the lobby and the other part were farther from the lobby and the elevator was between us. We met at the lobby frequently to go down to the lobby or pool/food court.
Thank you

We booked standard from dec 1-7. We booked it about a month ago and the CM told me it will be a king bed with a day bed and asked if that was alright. I said "yes perfect" since we want a king bed.
I just today was looking at touring plans room views and it showed that there are only 4 rooms that are standard with king/day bed. Are we guaranteed one of those since she said it or can it change and if so, then I already pretty much know where we are going to be staying! There are two that are closer to the busses and look out onto the parking lot and two are to the left of the lobby closer to kidani. I'm hoping we get the one closest to the busses since we put a request in because we have a 13 month old. But I know requests aren't guaranteed

Room 2216 is showing an area of the kudu trail. Can you possibly see animals? It's a standard view. Can I request a specific room since I already know I'm getting a standard king with Daybed or will they get mad for requesting specific rooms?
https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/146/building?hotel=228&filters[rate_date]=07/03/2017&filters[view]=245&filters[lobby_distance]=any&filters[transportation_distance]=any&filters[accessibility]=any&filters[floors]=any&filters[rack_rate]=any&filters[ug]=&filters[sound]=any&filters[balcony]=&date=2017-07-03&rooms=true#

I have had several very beautiful "partial savanna view" standard rooms with great animal viewing, all on Kudu trail. I have never requested a specific room, just changed the touring plans fax wording to say what exactly I am looking for. If you request 2216 and there's already a family in it, the room assigner at the resort might not know why you liked that one and you could end up with a room that's not what you'd like at all.

As far as accuracy, a lot of folks have reported that touring plans did not have the correct beds/room type listed for every resort. Just make your room request based on what's most important to you and in order of importance. I.e. "King bed is most important to us but we would love to be near the lobby if possible. We would love to have a partial savanna view as we are celebrating our child's first visit" etc.

If it were me I would NOT request close to the bus stop unless you are totally cool with a parking lot view. I'd rather be close to the lobby on kudu or in one of the rooms right on the lobby, and many of both of those areas are standard views due to sightlines of roofs and the emergency people pen areas. The walk through the lobby each day will be breathtaking with the holiday decor! Just my two cents if I was traveling with a stroller I might say close to the lobby/elevator. There are a few elevators located throughout the resort so that should help with your long walks.

If you arrive and find you've been assigned a room too far from the lobby with your little one you can always ask to be moved. I hope you get the perfect room!

I have had several very beautiful "partial savanna view" standard rooms with great animal viewing, all on Kudu trail. I have never requested a specific room, just changed the touring plans fax wording to say what exactly I am looking for. If you request 2216 and there's already a family in it, the room assigner at the resort might not know why you liked that one and you could end up with a room that's not what you'd like at all.

As far as accuracy, a lot of folks have reported that touring plans did not have the correct beds/room type listed for every resort. Just make your room request based on what's most important to you and in order of importance. I.e. "King bed is most important to us but we would love to be near the lobby if possible. We would love to have a partial savanna view as we are celebrating our child's first visit" etc.

If it were me I would NOT request close to the bus stop unless you are totally cool with a parking lot view. I'd rather be close to the lobby on kudu or in one of the rooms right on the lobby, and many of both of those areas are standard views due to sightlines of roofs and the emergency people pen areas. The walk through the lobby each day will be breathtaking with the holiday decor! Just my two cents if I was traveling with a stroller I might say close to the lobby/elevator. There are a few elevators located throughout the resort so that should help with your long walks.

If you arrive and find you've been assigned a room too far from the lobby with your little one you can always ask to be moved. I hope you get the perfect room!
Thank you so much for your help! Is touring plans free and how does the faxing work? Is there a way I can request online or should I sign up for touring plans? I'd rather not spend too much extra money.
So if I want a partial Savannah view my best bet is to say partial Savannah view on kudu trail closest to the lobby?

Thank you so much for your help! Is touring plans free and how does the faxing work? Is there a way I can request online or should I sign up for touring plans? I'd rather not spend too much extra money.
So if I want a partial Savannah view my best bet is to say partial Savannah view on kudu trail closest to the lobby?
I don't know what touring plans charges -but you can always call Disney for free and ask that your requests be noted on your reservation.

Thanks this is good info.

Just FYI, the info. in the link appears to be very dated, as in they don't even have the correct size for Sunset savanna which was enlarged when Kidani was built. They move animals around too, so there will be changes from 7 years ago!
Thank you. I did expect there to be changes from 7 years ago so wanted to check to see where we would like to request. Last time we went they have a room category (Arusha Savannah) which I found to be gone now when we booked this upcoming trip. We just love the Zebras, so want to make sure we are on a savannah with the zebras (or at least, request the savannah that has the zebras and try to get that savannah). From what I can see, they are still on the Arusha Savannah.

Both previous visits on the Arusha Savannah there was one of the cattle, which had a bad head lean/tilt. We named her Leana (for Leaner, head leaning). My son who is now graduating high school (that's what our trip is for) even said to me the other day "I wonder if Leana is still there". We did the Wanyama Safari, where we got up close with Leana and we asked about her and why she leaned her head so much, wondering if it was the weight of her horns. They explained that they thought that it was a brain injury which had caused it (I think before they got her).
I know the animals changed a little from our first visit to our second visit (2 years apart), so 7 years is a very long time (can't believe it's been that long, it only feels like yesterday). Can't wait to get back there!

Thank you. I did expect there to be changes from 7 years ago so wanted to check to see where we would like to request. Last time we went they have a room category (Arusha Savannah) which I found to be gone now when we booked this upcoming trip. We just love the Zebras, so want to make sure we are on a savannah with the zebras (or at least, request the savannah that has the zebras and try to get that savannah). From what I can see, they are still on the Arusha Savannah.

Both previous visits on the Arusha Savannah there was one of the cattle, which had a bad head lean/tilt. We named her Leana (for Leaner, head leaning). My son who is now graduating high school (that's what our trip is for) even said to me the other day "I wonder if Leana is still there". We did the Wanyama Safari, where we got up close with Leana and we asked about her and why she leaned her head so much, wondering if it was the weight of her horns. They explained that they thought that it was a brain injury which had caused it (I think before they got her).
I know the animals changed a little from our first visit to our second visit (2 years apart), so 7 years is a very long time (can't believe it's been that long, it only feels like yesterday). Can't wait to get back there!
I remember that Ankole (aka Watusi) cow/steer - the head tilt was quite pronounced, we asked were it was on our last Wanyama (2016) and learned it is no longer there. Sunset savanna has a small herd of zebras (Hartmans) so if that's your favorite I'd ask for Kudu trail, Sunset savanna view. Arusha usually has a pair of zebras and Uzima sometimes has a pair.

Just back!!! The only thing keeping me going is planning my visit for next year. We had a savannah view 1 bedroom on Arusha and it was amazing. The best viewing time for animals is definitely late afternoon/early evening. The highlights of our trip included having a giraffe laying down outside our room for the evening, watching a giraffe gallop across the savannah, and (according to my fifteen year old) mating flamingos.
We are staying is a savannah view one bedroom at Jambo next month. I've had several people tell me that the rooms are better at Kidani and I should switch, however my family really wants to stay at Jambo. I have a room request I will fax thru Touring Plans, but do you have suggestions on what floor/ trail based on your trip?

We are eating at both Jiko and Sanaa for dinner during our stay. Does anyone have suggestions/ opinions on favorite things to order?

We are eating at both Jiko and Sanaa for dinner during our stay. Does anyone have suggestions/ opinions on favorite things to order?
We just ate at Jiko last week for the first time and it was wonderful! We had the bread service during the FREE culinary tour of Jiko and Boma. When we ate at Jiko for dinner we had the wild boar appetizer and the filet main course. Our boys both got the kids filet. I preferred the kids mac and cheese over the adult, the adult is more like hamburger macaroni (not a good description but it has crumbled meat in it). We skipped dessert.

Just found out that I passed my NCLEX-RN exam and I am officially a Registered Nurse! What a long and stressful road this has been. I cannot wait to celebrate my accomplishments in the most magical place on earth. Now I can go full steam ahead in my planning.
Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment, your hard work has paid off. Its crazy for me to think that i shared those same emotions 14 years ago.

We are staying is a savannah view one bedroom at Jambo next month. I've had several people tell me that the rooms are better at Kidani and I should switch, however my family really wants to stay at Jambo. I have a room request I will fax thru Touring Plans, but do you have suggestions on what floor/ trail based on your trip?
We much prefer Jambo but have stayed at Kidani several times. The 1 bedroom has an extra bathroom but that is not enough to make us want to stay there. We prefer the Arusha Savannah on the Zebra trail by the watering hole. My favorite room is 5525 because you have a great view but you are also far enough away from the public overlook that it is quiet and private. We don't mind being further from the lobby it is only about a five minute walk.

We much prefer Jambo but have stayed at Kidani several times. The 1 bedroom has an extra bathroom but that is not enough to make us want to stay there. We prefer the Arusha Savannah on the Zebra trail by the watering hole. My favorite room is 5525 because you have a great view but you are also far enough away from the public overlook that it is quiet and private. We don't mind being further from the lobby it is only about a five minute walk.

Does your room number indicate you were on the 5th floor? And you still saw lots of animals? Did the more distant view make it less enjoyable?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter