Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

If this is your first time going then yes, you are right on track for being overwhelmed and second-guessing. Totally normal! You want to be able to see everything in your short stay.
If you are spending the money on the Savannah View, make sure you spend a little time in your room to enjoy the view. Who else is going with you besides your DD13?
First, you have to figure out what is most important to everyone in your party. Ask each person the top a few things they want to do. You might not be able to hit all the rides and do 2 sit downs a day, all the shows and enjoy your room. Figure out the most important rides for everyone.
Do you know about allears.net menus? They have detailed menus. The schedule is out for parades, fireworks and extra magic hours so check out your dates and plan accordingly.

Good luck! You are going to have so much fun
Just DH, DD and myself. First time for all of us (well, except for like once when I was a kid, in a hurricane).
Plan is to do just one TS and one QS each day.
Problem is we haven't told DD yet. She can't keep a secret to save her life, and we have two younger foster children, who we are planning as if they will not be here come December. Anyway, if we start talking about this trip, it'll make them NUTS, so as of right now, she can't know, which means she can't help me plan things. We're in a pickle if the kids ARE still with us come December, but I really, really don't think they will be. In any event, can't ask for her input at this stage. Hopefully before FP opens up....

I think we will be an equal split between experience, rides, shows and food.

I will check out allears.net. Thanks so much for all the help!
I didn't think I was going to drink this DW kool-aid. But only a month into researching, I can totally see why people do this trip multiple times, yearly, etc. There is just so much to do.

First time going to DW for all of us. DD (13) is a HUGE animal lover, so we booked Dec 16-22 at Jambo Deluxe Studio - Savanna View w/free DDP.

Did I do the right thing? Will the views be worth it? Is this one of the rooms that is only on top floor? Are the views of animals worth it from the top?
L

We're doing our first visit in October for the Jambo Deluxe Studio Savanna View and will report back then with any advice/tips. The studios are all on the fifth floor (sixth is concierge) and we went back and forth on studio versus non-studio. In the end we prefer the look of the studios, plus convienence of small kitchen, and the higher up view should be great especially for sunsets. In theory you'd think we'll see more animals but albeit from a further distance (bring binoculars).

Do you have a back up resort in case the two foster kids are around? Will you stay with AKL? If so, I'd look into a dvc if that's the case.

Do you have a back up resort in case the two foster kids are around? Will you stay with AKL? If so, I'd look into a dvc if that's the case.

We will be in a pickle if our bonus kids are still here. They will not be allowed to travel to FL.

Has anyone received their room earlier than the check-in time of 4:00pm? We are taking a red eye from Los Angeles and arriving at 6:30am at Orlando. Taking the magical express, I think we should arrive at the resort around 9:00am-9:30am. Of course I am not expecting to get the room at time, just wanted an idea from other that have arrived early to the resort.

Thanks

Has anyone received their room earlier than the check-in time of 4:00pm? We are taking a red eye from Los Angeles and arriving at 6:30am at Orlando. Taking the magical express, I think we should arrive at the resort around 9:00am-9:30am. Of course I am not expecting to get the room at time, just wanted an idea from other that have arrived early to the resort.

Thanks

Our room was ready early on our last trip, but not that early. I think it was ready around 12:30 PM. However, even if your room isn't ready, you could leave your bags with bell services and head to a park. Better yet, pack swim suits in your carry-ons and enjoy the pool until your room is ready. With a red-eye flight, I would choose the pool over a park, though with my luck I'd fall asleep and wake up burnt.

Also, we let them know about what time we would be arriving, and it coincided with when the room was ready. I'm not sure if that was purposely done on their part or not. 9:30 AM would probably be pushing it for getting a room right away, but if they know what time you're arriving, they might try to get one ready for you asap.

Traveling to Disney in November and staying at this resort for the first time. Actually first time at a deluxe resort. I usually stay at All Star Movie resort. So excited. Saved my pennies but couldn't afford the savannah view. But thrilled to experience this hotel.

We will be there in November as well- the last time we had standard view we ended up near a feeding pen- so many animals by our balcony. Fingers crossed we get a partial view again!

Traveling to Disney in November and staying at this resort for the first time. Actually first time at a deluxe resort. I usually stay at All Star Movie resort. So excited. Saved my pennies but couldn't afford the savannah view. But thrilled to experience this hotel.

We have only stayed Standard View and have had excellent luck with views of the animals. The pool area is gorgeous, too, so I know we wouldn't mind that, either. I think it's a safe bet you'll love AKL even without the Savanna View. If you want to increase your chances of seeing animals from your room, though, use the Touring Plans fax service and request partial savanna view - or fax it yourself or call and have it noted on your reservation. The online check in from MDE did not have partial savanna view as an option last trip, so I was very glad we used the fax service from Touring Plans.

Thanks
I assume since you say check in is 4 pm that you have a DVC villa v. a room, if so you are, unfortunately, less likely to get access super early in a villa, because they just take longer to clean - not the studios so much, but the 1, 2 bedroom and the grand villas have kitchens and multiple bathrooms, plus housekeeping for the villas is not as fully staffed as regular rooms as there's no daily housekeeping and that's generally ok w/ owners because it helps to keep the dues lower. You might get lucky & I think there's a place in online check in were you can indicate that early availability of villa/room is the most important request, but plan for having to wait to get access to your villa.
We come in from the west coast too and I could see you arriving @ AKL as early as 8 am which on your west coast biological clock will really be 5 am :) it all depends on how long you wait at MCO for your DME bus to leave and how many stops your DME bus makes before AKL.
Pack in your carry on pool wear or items for whatever your plan is for that day. You can check your carry on w/ bell services and if you want to reclaim it before your room/villa is ready to retrieve something, you can. If the weather is nice hanging out by the pool is an excellent idea. If the weather isn't nice, there's still the hot tubs (so relaxing after a long flight) and the lobby at Jambo is beautiful and just hanging out in the chairs/sofas w/ an occasional walk about or trip to the Mara works as well. If you are able to doze on the 5 hr. flight (I assume you have a non stop) or operate well on little/no sleep then maybe you'll be up to hitting a park or DS or whatever.
I always plan arrival day to be a go with the flow kind of day, I just never know if I'll be tired from lack of sleep or tense from flight issues, or eager to hit a park to get my Disney fix immediately.

Last edited:
Yay! DH and I have decided on AKL for our anniversary trip next year(mid-June, I'll check back in when we have definitive dates). I have gone back and forth a million times, weighing the pros and cons and all of the deluxe resorts and this one is just "it" for me.

One question I thought of though after reading through this thread:
One of the biggest things that drew us to this resort is being able to view the animals while I caffinate in the morning. What savanna would be the best for doing that? I read that once a day the animals are taken in for care, so I'm hoping someone will be out between 6am and 8am!

I had hoped for the same thing but the animals were never out in the morning. I received this response after I returned and relayed my experience. Maybe you'll see a ton between 6am - 7am :) --

I have seen many posts over the years about the lack of animal sightings in the mornings. Just an FYI, we are regulars at AKL and have been told many times the animals go in every day for check ups from 7-10 am. Our best times for animal viewing from the balcony have always been in the late afternoon, particularly if it is raining. The rain seems to energize the animals and they often run around chasing each other during passing thunderstorms. Our favorite time was when we watched the wildebeest chasing a zebra all over the savannah. He finally jumped on top of a big mound of dirt suddenly and the wildebeest all bumped into each other and started chasing one another. We absolutely love AKL!!!

Well clearly this would've been helpful information for me to have known ahead of my "I'm going to spend mornings on my balcony with coffee and giraffes!" trip. :laughing:
Oh well, live and learn I guess.

When was this changed that they are in from 7-10?

In 2010 the morning was alive with animals- again we were near a feeding pen so that may be why we got to see so much.

Anyone there currently or recently? Did the refillable mugs have white handles still or did they match the lids at this point?

Thanks
That's actually pretty good. 12:30 ready...
Our room was ready early on our last trip, but not that early. I think it was ready around 12:30 PM. However, even if your room isn't ready, you could leave your bags with bell services and head to a park. Better yet, pack swim suits in your carry-ons and enjoy the pool until your room is ready. With a red-eye flight, I would choose the pool over a park, though with my luck I'd fall asleep and wake up burnt.

Also, we let them know about what time we would be arriving, and it coincided with when the room was ready. I'm not sure if that was purposely done on their part or not. 9:30 AM would probably be pushing it for getting a room right away, but if they know what time you're arriving, they might try to get one ready for you asap.
They can always store your gear w/ bell hop service..Then either hit the ground running or pool it that day.:confused3

When and where, are you staying. We will also be there in early Nov. Most likely SSR to start followed by Kidani

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter