Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Stayed at AKL yesterday for a very last minute (literally booked Tuesday) for a very quick overnight stay. What a gorgeous place! We booked standard view, fully expecting to be overlooking a parking lot, we were pleasantly surprised to be overlooking one of the smaller savannahs, it was so cool! the only downer was the bus service to animal kingdom (People staying at animal kingdom lodge are going to want to go to animal kingdom. apparently someone should tell Disney this) we waited 45 minutes in a throng of people, gave up and went to the pool bar. Returned after relaxing with a beverage, waited for almost half an hour more with another growing throng of people before getting on an overpacked bus. the Bus service would deter me from a long visit, but I would love to do a no-parks trip here.

Attachments

• C1500FC3-1738-43E3-A5FD-AB890F354D3B.jpeg
    C1500FC3-1738-43E3-A5FD-AB890F354D3B.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 0636C7D9-51CF-4916-8D87-9215F942CAFC.jpeg
    0636C7D9-51CF-4916-8D87-9215F942CAFC.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 41
Stayed at AKL yesterday for a very last minute (literally booked Tuesday) for a very quick overnight stay. What a gorgeous place! We booked standard view, fully expecting to be overlooking a parking lot, we were pleasantly surprised to be overlooking one of the smaller savannahs, it was so cool! the only downer was the bus service to animal kingdom (People staying at animal kingdom lodge are going to want to go to animal kingdom. apparently someone should tell Disney this) we waited 45 minutes in a throng of people, gave up and went to the pool bar. Returned after relaxing with a beverage, waited for almost half an hour more with another growing throng of people before getting on an overpacked bus. the Bus service would deter me from a long visit, but I would love to do a no-parks trip here.
My husband and I just returned from a no park trip at AKL, such a relaxing hotel, plenty of seating inside lobby, and all around the pool area, some in sun for tanning, others in shade for a nap or reading. Even the lobby has a relaxed feeling to it. We needed it, gone through a few tough months and we needed a re-fresh. My opinion best hotel for recharging your batteries compared to other hotels.

Awesome view! What room/area was this?
As far as bus service, is there anything that lets you know when to expect the next bus or you just have to stand around and wait?

I assume this means you didn't have a vehicle? Your own or a rental, that is. Because obviously you could've driven to the park if that was the case.

I assume this means you didn't have a vehicle? Your own or a rental, that is. Because obviously you could've driven to the park if that was the case.
We did have a vehicle. But half the reason we booked a resort was to avoid the parking lot boiling asphalt death march, and to enjoy adult beverages at the park without doing driving math.

Awesome view! What room/area was this?
As far as bus service, is there anything that lets you know when to expect the next bus or you just have to stand around and wait?
This was room 3232, on the kudu trail. Its apparently a standard view room because of the fenced off part in front of it. But I was greatly impressed, I had fully expected a parking lot

This was room 3232, on the kudu trail. Its apparently a standard view room because of the fenced off part in front of it. But I was greatly impressed, I had fully expected a parking lot
Great to hear! I put a request in a couple weeks ago for Kudu Trail around that same room. Hoping it comes through!

Great to hear! I put a request in a couple weeks ago for Kudu Trail around that same room. Hoping it comes through!
We will be there in September for a surprise Halloween trip for our kids. We think our kids would love this view, but only had a standard view option through the Disney+ discount. How did you put in a request? Did you fax it? My online check in options were only "near elevator" or "near lobby". Thanks so much!

We will be there in September for a surprise Halloween trip for our kids. We think our kids would love this view, but only had a standard view option through the Disney+ discount. How did you put in a request? Did you fax it? My online check in options were only "near elevator" or "near lobby". Thanks so much!
I have a Touring Plans account and within there you can look at different room options and write a request that they will then send to the resort on your behalf. It’s like $15 for a year and it shows predicted crowd calendars, updated hours, special events, wait times, etc…

I have a Touring Plans account and within there you can look at different room options and write a request that they will then send to the resort on your behalf. It’s like $15 for a year and it shows predicted crowd calendars, updated hours, special events, wait times, etc…
Thank you so much! I will check in to that.

How did you put in a request? Did you fax it? My online check in options were only "near elevator" or "near lobby". Thanks so much!

From what is posted here on the Dis, the room assigners don't take faxes anymore. (Touring Plans sends emails, not faxes.)

If you don't want to pay for a Touring Plans subscription, you can call 407-W-DISNEY and give them your request. But I can't personally vouch for the success of either method.

But I can't personally vouch for the success of either method.
Same here - I have not used this method before because I typically don’t care which room I’m in. This is my daughter’s 21st birthday trip so I figured I’d try for a nicer view room. We check in on Friday, I can report back and let you all know how the request worked out for us.

I pay for Touring Plans, and all but one time have had been successful putting in a room request through them for a Standard room with a partial view. We've been on Kudu Trail, Sunset Savannah and my last trip a couple of weeks back was on Zebra trail, which didn't have as nice a view of the animals, but was a LOT closer walk to the lobby, which I appreciated!

Same here - I have not used this method before because I typically don’t care which room I’m in. This is my daughter’s 21st birthday trip so I figured I’d try for a nicer view room. We check in on Friday, I can report back and let you all know how the request worked out for us.
If you check in this Friday (in 3 days), it might be too late to have a room request considered. I've heard that they assign the rooms earlier than this.

You know, I think AKL may have spoiled me for staying at any other deluxe resort at WDW. This trip was the first one during which I stayed on property, and AKL wasn't my first choice - it was my fiancée's. I'm super glad now that's where she wanted to stay because it was fantastic. I loved the laid-back vibe and found all the natural design elements very relaxing and comforting.

I have wanted to stay at the Contemporary ever since I road the monorail through it at age 8 back in 1975, and after I found out the Boardwalk is walking distance to Epcot and HS, I thought it would be really cool to stay there. But looking at the pics of those resorts online since we got back, I just feel like they're not up to the level of AKL. If only the transportation and park access options at AKL were better.

If you check in this Friday (in 3 days), it might be too late to have a room request considered. I've heard that they assign the rooms earlier than this.
Oh, Touring Plans sent it for me a few weeks ago. At my 30 day mark I think.

You know, I think AKL may have spoiled me for staying at any other deluxe resort at WDW. This trip was the first one during which I stayed on property, and AKL wasn't my first choice - it was my fiancée's. I'm super glad now that's where she wanted to stay because it was fantastic. I loved the laid-back vibe and found all the natural design elements very relaxing and comforting.

I have wanted to stay at the Contemporary ever since I road the monorail through it at age 8 back in 1975, and after I found out the Boardwalk is walking distance to Epcot and HS, I thought it would be really cool to stay there. But looking at the pics of those resorts online since we got back, I just feel like they're not up to the level of AKL. If only the transportation and park access options at AKL were better.

I've stayed at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge for Deluxe resorts, as well as some of the Moderates, and AKL is still my favorite place to stay.

I've stayed at Grand Floridian, Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge for Deluxe resorts, as well as some of the Moderates, and AKL is still my favorite place to stay.
I was wondering about Wilderness Lodge. It seems like it is the closest to AKL in style and vibe.

I said it would be nice if AKL had more options for transportation (like a Skyliner stop for example), but the more I think about it, I think it being isolated is one of the things I liked about it. We couldn't see any other hotels or parks from our room so it didn't break the illusion of being in a hotel on the savannah. Looking out the window at WL and seeing the Contemporary across the lake would "break the immersion" for me a bit, so to speak.

I pay for Touring Plans, and all but one time have had been successful putting in a room request through them for a Standard room with a partial view. We've been on Kudu Trail, Sunset Savannah and my last trip a couple of weeks back was on Zebra trail, which didn't have as nice a view of the animals, but was a LOT closer walk to the lobby, which I appreciated!
We recently stayed on Zebra trail, we saw giraffes, zebras, wildebeasts, large deer like animals, crested cranes. I think the time of day is a factor and we were extremely happy with our view of the animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter