Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Hello! We normally stay at WL, but are thinking about trying AKL this time. I have heard the air conditioning cuts off when you lay down? Also- I have heard the rooms are much noiser in comparison to WL. Please tell me this is not the case as I want to stay at AKL!!

If I have a PPO Reservation at MK, what time would I need to leave AKL? How frequent are shuttles in AM?

When to be at the bus stop depends on what time the ADR is. I suggest be at the bus stop 45-60 minutes before your ADR. Buses start rolling at 6:30AM every day. Except when MK opens at 7AM, then they start rolling at 6AM.

My question's for those that have stayed AKL before and have stayed other deluxes, truthfully, is this your favorite resort and if so why?
AKL is one of my favorite resorts, along with YC and BWI. The animals are the big attraction, but I love the lobby and restaurants also. The gift shop has interesting African and African-themed merchandise. Even if you don't have a savanna view room, there are overlooks where you can watch the animals. You do feel like you are walking into another world or having a "vacation within a vacation" when you walk through the doors, but I don't feel that takes away the Disney experience because who does this kind of theming better than Disney?

I have a few questions but don't get me wrong, I've eaten at Boma so I've been to the resort before and therefore I have picked this resort for more reason's than that it's the cheaper of the deluxes. But I'm curious and want to get other's thoughts.
When the promotions came out I was already booked rack rate at AKL and I couldn't get a promotion but of course I still looked at other resorts but I told myself I was 99% sure I wouldn't switch (unless it was a room at Poly) and I didn't so I really really want to try this resort out.
My question's for those that have stayed AKL before and have stayed other deluxes, truthfully, is this your favorite resort and if so why? Where else have you stayed?
We are staying AKL for first time in 56 days. We have stayed at CBR and CSR and think the moderates are just too big for us. We've stayed BC a couple times and WL and my husband loves BC because of the location. Can't really get better than that. I love WL for location and theme. That's why I think I will like AKL since it's similar to WL with it's rustic theme.
If you take the animal part our of AKL, would you still love it? We are doing standard so not sure we will experience what others experience.
I know a lot of people say they feel like they are away from everything when they go there and it's like another vacation when they get back to the resort. But for me, I personally love being in the Disney theme all week long. I don't necessarily want to feel so far away that it doesn't feel Disney anymore.
I'm babbling but my question's are:
Where have you stayed besides AKL and why is it your favorite?

For deluxe resorts, I have stayed at both AKL Jambo House and AKV Kidani Village, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan and Dolphin, and Saratoga Springs (many of these multiple times), and AKL Jambo house is my favorite resort, a close second would be the Yacht and Beach Club resorts (I mostly think of them as the same resort). I love all of the restaurants, they are by far my favorite on property, the general vibe and feel of the resort is awesome, and we have always encountered excellent CMs. The pools and hot tubs are great (second favorite pool after SAB), as is the fitness center. Just because you have a standard room, doesn't mean that you won't experience the animals, as there are wonderful viewing locations all around the resort. I also love being in the Disney theme all week, and I don't think that AKL is any less Disney than the other Deluxe resorts, it also really isn't that far away, I still absolutely get that Disney feel while I am at AKL.

That said, AKL isn't for everyone, but I have enjoyed every one of my trips, and is the only resort that my husband and I absolutely MUST return to each and every year (we also choose AKL as our longest of the 3 trips we take each year). I will be trying out BLT and WL next year, and although I am sure that I will like them both, I know that I will return to AKL time and time again.

Edited to add: the previous poster reminded me how much I love the AKL gift shop, I think it is the best resort gift shop on property, and I enjoy browsing there multiple times each trip, even though I usually don't purchase anything.

Anyone know the likelihood of getting a king bed room if requested.... and the best way to request? We have a standard view room booked. It’s my husband and I with our 4 year old son. I know the sofa in the king bed rooms is a daybed according to the website, but I have yet to see a King bed room picture whatsoever on any website. Are king bed rooms at AKL some mythical, unattainable thing? Haha! I read this by one blogger, she’s requested 4 times and never received.

Anyone know the likelihood of getting a king bed room if requested.... and the best way to request? We have a standard view room booked. It’s my husband and I with our 4 year old son. I know the sofa in the king bed rooms is a daybed according to the website, but I have yet to see a King bed room picture whatsoever on any website. Are king bed rooms at AKL some mythical, unattainable thing? Haha! I read this by one blogger, she’s requested 4 times and never received.

Impossible to say. Whether you get a King is completely dependent on 2 things, occupancy and how many others requested the same. Neither of those are known by anyone outside the resort.

Best way is to call main reservations line and add a request of King room to your reservation. If you're using your own DVC points, you'll have to call Member Services. If you're renting points the owner will have to call Member Services for you.

What’s the visa promo? I have a Disney visa but haven’t gotten any offers

Hi so sorry I didn’t respond..sometimes I don’t come on very often.... Visa offer is 35% off I believe ..

I know there is a separate thread for concierge but can any of you tell me how close the concierge rooms are to the food, restaurants and the main lobby? For some reason we just realized this is actually our 5th wedding anniversary and we actually got a pin code as well that includes the concierge rooms. I know AKL is huge so are the CL rooms more central? Any thoughts or feedback on the value for the money ? We are currently booked in the Savannah room under the visa promotion

We have booked to stay here in Sept 2018 with the dining plan! First time at AKL we r so excited! Will be following this thread closely getting all the information I can!

Hi so sorry I didn’t respond..sometimes I don’t come on very often.... Visa offer is 35% off I believe ..

I know there is a separate thread for concierge but can any of you tell me how close the concierge rooms are to the food, restaurants and the main lobby? For some reason we just realized this is actually our 5th wedding anniversary and we actually got a pin code as well that includes the concierge rooms. I know AKL is huge so are the CL rooms more central? Any thoughts or feedback on the value for the money ? We are currently booked in the Savannah room under the visa promotion

We stayed concierge a couple weeks ago, we had a Savanna View, 4th floor (room number 4411). We were 3rd room from the lobby, and had a view of the Lobby Savanna walkout from our balcony. It was a short walk to the elevator.

We stayed concierge a couple weeks ago, we had a Savanna View, 4th floor (room number 4411). We were 3rd room from the lobby, and had a view of the Lobby Savanna walkout from our balcony. It was a short walk to the elevator.
That sounds very convenient ! Is it true that the actual lounge is on a different floor ? ( I actually just reread your post, the lobby is not the lounge right ?? Can you tell how little I know LOL )

We have a resort only trip booked next June. We are staying in a CL Savanna view room. I’ve read through the thread and looked at the maps. Are any of the CL Savanna view rooms located on the CL floor? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good room request? This is our first time at AKL so your help is much appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Our countdown is 60 days til our first trip at AKL! So excited! We have 2 standard rooms booked and would like, if possible, to get partial savannah views and to be next to each other..what's the easiest way to request this? I am so excited to walk into the lobby and see the Christmas tree. My two favorite things..Christmas and Disney.

That sounds very convenient ! Is it true that the actual lounge is on a different floor ? ( I actually just reread your post, the lobby is not the lounge right ?? Can you tell how little I know LOL )

The club level lounge is on the 6th floor, and is different from the lobby, the only club level rooms that are on the 6th floor with the lounge are the DVC club level rooms, all of the non-DVC club level rooms are on the 4th floor. I have only stayed in the DVC club level rooms so I will allow others to answer specific questions regarding the 4th floor club level rooms.

We have a resort only trip booked next June. We are staying in a CL Savannah view room. I’ve read through the thread and looked at the maps. Are any of the CL Savannah view rooms located on the CL floor? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good room request? This is our first time at AKL so your help is much appreciated! :)

The only club level rooms that are located on the CL floor are the DVC club level rooms.

It was pretty convenient. The lobby is 3rd floor, we were on the 4th floor, and the Club Lounge is 6th floor. From the lounge, you can look down to the lobby. We had to scan our magic band to go up to the 6th floor. Oddly, I tried using a mb from a previous trip (stayed at non-Club BWV), and it wouldn’t activate the 6th floor access.

Jiko, Boma, and Mara are on the first floor. Victoria Falls Lounge is on the 2nd floor and overlooks Boma. There’s also a wide staircase between the 3rd and 4th floor near the elevators that we used frequently when leaving. The gift store is also on the 3rd floor, near the lobby, and we would usually cut through it when going to or returning from the transportation buses.

When AKL was built they put the Lounge for CL on the 6th floor along w/ some nice large rooms. The downside was that those 6th floor rooms didn't have very good views of the savanna.
Whomever designed AKL apparently didn't take into account what seems obvious to me, which is that a person who is paying top dollar to stay CL at a resort who's main draw is that you can see animals will expect to actually see animals from their CL room.
Later they converted part of Jambo (5th floor & 6th floor rooms) to DVC and made the 6th floor Jambo villas into a DVC CL booking category - as the only DVC CL @ WDW those villas (even w/ their less than stellar views) are very much in demand w/ the DVC crowd.
The lounge stayed on the 6th floor and they also made some 4th floor rooms w/ their better savanna views into the CL rooms.

Our countdown is 60 days til our first trip at AKL! So excited! We have 2 standard rooms booked and would like, if possible, to get partial savannah views and to be next to each other..what's the easiest way to request this? I am so excited to walk into the lobby and see the Christmas tree. My two favorite things..Christmas and Disney.

With 2 requests like that, I would make sure to list the most important one to your party first. Requesting Kudu trail will give you a good chance at partial savannah view. Since you have 2 rooms (and that means 2 parties) I would call the general reservation line and have them link the 2 reservations and note your requests. Obviously nothing is guaranteed. Have fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter