I've never minded paying for what I perceive as value, but I hate feeling like I haven't paid enough

This. WDW is riding a baby boomer and Gen X bubble. Parents and grandparents have booked the trips and paid the bills because of their wish to share their love of Disney with the next generations. My teenage niece couldn't be bothered going to WDW. Only Universal esp Hogwarts is of any interest. Millennials may be a bust market for WDW parks. So short-sighted to rack up the prices, drop the experience and fail to build a 5th gate that appeals to younger demographics.
In the past every family making a Disney trip essentially created multiple Disney families (one for each kid when they grew up and had a family of their own), now every family priced out of a trip or that just decides it's not worth the headaches, upcharges, etc. will reduce their revenue but only down the line, long after the current executives have gotten their golden parachutes or cashed out their options. Will they be able to overcome the loss given the new environment kids grow up in? Impossible to say but the reality is they're creating an unnecessary headwind instead of continuing the wave that got them where they are.

I am expecting to have a decent sum of money drop into my lap within the next 5 yrs or so. I was planning to start to consider (a lot of caveats there, I know!) a DVC purchase. Not now. I was looking forward to planning another WDW trip. Not now. I just returned from DLR last week. I was very glad I was able to get one more trip in before the Genie+/LL nonsense started, because I don't think I'll be going back again anytime soon. I've been to DLR more times than I can count. This new money grab/shake down breaks my heart. 😩

ETA: We are going to Yosemite next summer instead of any Disney trips.

Theres no shortage of folks distraught with the escalating costs with little to show for it.

My question is what is anyone doing about it?
As the saying goes, people vote with their feet and with their wallets. From the many comments here, we loyal-for-many-years D folks are deciding that we've exceeded our comfortable price-points. People are planning to cut back on the Disney experience and/or deciding to go elsewhere in the future. It's a added shame that this coincides with the 50th Anniversary at WDW.

We rebooked for February and next summer rack. No discount we don't go on principal. We bagged BC this summer and toured KY distilleries. Maybe more of that next year. There's always the WI Dells.

Visited a few weeks ago with my DH, DS (7) and DD (5). 3rd trip for both kids-last trip was late 2019. The kids preferred the resort and BB over the theme parks and it was eye opening. They love Disney characters and movies but visiting the parks wasn't the end all be all for them. I quickly realized that it was ME trying to push my Disney nostalgia on them and spending an insane amount of money for a lackluster experience (no Fastpass, parades, shows, tours, BBB, character meets, dining plan, housekeeping, etc) because of FOMO. Yes, some of the missing experiences are COVID related and Disney can't be blamed for that but I don't have confidence that we'll see Disney bring back the experiences without an upcharge. Genie is already proof of that. I love Disney and I love my memories of visiting the parks and participating in the college program but it no longer brings me the same joy because all I see is $$$$. I don't enjoy seeing areas that used be free for firework viewing now an upcharge for a dessert party. I don't want to pay $200 for a character meal with bad food. I miss Spectromagic dang it! :rotfl2:I'm okay with walking away from an annual WDW vacation and creating new memories and traditions. My wallet thanks me. :D

Theres no shortage of folks distraught with the escalating costs with little to show for it.

My question is what is anyone doing about it?
We visited Japan for my son's graduation trip and so went to Tokyo Disney the summer before Covid shut everything down. We felt the Disney magic there more than our last WDW trip. So while we will visit once during the 50th that may be it unless things improve. We were at DL's 50th so want to be able to attend both otherwise we may not even have planned to go this next year. Otherwise in 2 years we're hoping to go to Tokyo Disney again and even planning a trip to Europe with a Euro Disney add on. So we may still do Disney but it may not be WDW anymore.

Oddly enough aside from the airfare our Tokyo Disney part of the trip was less cost for a way better experience. My daughter still talks about the tap dancing Mickey from one of their shows. Even our visit to Honk Kong Disney was a better value/dollar we ended up buying a few extra souvenirs. My kids also talk about going back to USF for more Harry Potter since Hagrid's ride opened. They felt a nostalgic magic immersing into HP world similar to what I felt for Disney at their age. They ask about universal's Epic (my husband does too) timeline because of the Mario land. I think the next generation may have more nostalgia for Universal than Disney and from what I've seen definitely for boys. My daughter still loves Disney for the princesses but the boys don't have that going for them. While they were excited about SW, the fact that you can't guarantee you will even get to ride ROTR, without who knows what upcharge, has pretty much taken the excitement away. My college aged boys are budget conscious (college tuition costs will do that) and they have hit the point where they think it's too much which is funny since they aren't paying.

All this to simply say there are other Disney parks out there that may provide magic without the shake down and also that some kids may find the magic at a non-Disney park.

This. WDW is riding a baby boomer and Gen X bubble. Parents and grandparents have booked the trips and paid the bills because of their wish to share their love of Disney with the next generations. My teenage niece couldn't be bothered going to WDW. Only Universal esp Hogwarts is of any interest. Millennials may be a bust market for WDW parks. So short-sighted to rack up the prices, drop the experience and fail to build a 5th gate that appeals to younger demographics.
I think so, too.

On top of all the price increases, I'm just finding it EXHAUSTING to sort out all the options and add-ons. Truly, we are looking at adding 2 nights on after our shortened cruise (we have DVC and money in holding from tickets we never used) but I am tired and overwhelmed just thinking about learning the new procedures. I LOVE travel planning, but none of this seems fun to sort out.
Exactly!! I have enjoyed planning Disney trips as our friends and family visit us. It took careful planning to get them to all their favorite characters and on their most desired thrill rides and get everything done in a few short days. It was my hobby... so fun! Lots of planning ahead so the trip could feel spontaneous and was a success with no feeling of sacrifice. Now... I don't know where we need to be and when. I can't plan meals around unknown ride times. It doesn't matter how much money I have to throw at the problem - it's not simply a money problem. It's a TiME problem. We have lost control of our own time.

That's how planning a Disney vacations feels now.

It doesn't matter what your "budget" is. Disney is constantly trying to find ways to bust it, without actually offering anything extra.

I get it, they are a for-profit corporation, but it just feels dirty now. I don't mind when Taco Bell says "do you want to make that drink a medium for .10 more?" It's different when Disney says, "do you want to add something that used to be included (FP) onto your trip for an extra $360?" , "I know, we don't have enough ride capacity on ROTR, but we can get your family on for an extra $100" or "Would you like the park less crowded? Here's 4 hours after our regular paying guests leave for $250pp"

Again, I get it. They don't owe me anything.

But, like the title says, I hate feeling like what I've spent or committed to spend, isn't good enough for the company I'm giving it to.

Disney is in a unique situation where they don't really have to value their guests. The hotels are full, the parks are full, but the surveys come back with poor results. People are rushing to throw money at whatever the newest offering is. You can't blame them for this shift over the last decade or so, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

I enjoy Disney parks. I have since I was a kid. But I don't want to feel like an upside down piggy bank being shaken the entire trip for that last coin to come out.

I feel the same way. It used to be save save save and go to Disney World and that was it, you were there and it was an even playing field, only really separated by the people staying on and off property. I just feel like there is a huge financial shift. Separated by financials. If you can't afford it, you probably won't get to enjoy it as much. Money will separate guests.

And food prices...don't get me started. We are going this Wednesday and for the first time EVER, we only have 1 ADR for our 5 day trip. I told my daughter I'm done paying $120 for the 2 of us to eat lack-luster and mostly bad, food.

I own DVC, and between my crazy annual dues (almost $1500 a year) plus park tickets and now Genie+, I'm finding the fun not worth the trips. I would have to actually LIVE in Orlando to really feel I'm getting a value out of my annual passes.

I will keep my DVC for the next year or so, but will likely rent my points out to try and break even on my costs. Maybe even sell.

This is a thread about people who are disappointed. That’s the “everyone” they were referring to. No one would expect those that aren’t disappointing to do anything. We get that you aren’t disappointed - you go on every.single.thread about it and remind people. That’s great for you! But there are lots and lots (and lots and lots….) of people who are. There are other threads where your enthusiasm might be better appreciated.

Wrong reply.

Last edited:
That is why we waited until DD was 10 (now 11) to go to Disney. When I was pregnant I read an article about a guy trying to convince his wife that they needed to go back to Disney so that their youngest could 'experience Disney'. So he asked his daughter over dinner about her favorite part of their Disney trip, "The Hotel Pool." When we've met families who've been to Disney, I ask the kids that question. It is shocking how many times it is the pool. Not always, but often.

This is what we discovered the first time we were heading to Orlando. We were only going to be there for four days and the kids wanted to do SeaWorld, so I didn't plan on doing the Disney parks, just visit some of the resorts, hit the Boardwalk while the magician was there, ride the monorail, stuff like that. I was regularly reamed out by people scolding me for this choice, saying I "must" take my kids to the parks, that I was robbing them by not doing it, yadda yadda -- these were not Disney boards. they were timeshare boards or more general travel boards. But half the time when I got yelled at that way, other parents would post exactly what you're saying here; that when they actually asked their kids what they wanted to do, even after the kids had experienced the park, some of those kids liked the hotel pool better than they did Disney.

Plus I noticed long time back that the most rabid Disney haters I know were all dragged to Disney as kids by commando parents determined to get their money's worth. ;) That said, I think just about anyone can enjoy the Disney Parks if someone "in the know," who also knows them well, designs their visit for them. But for some kids, that means only partial days in the parks, more time at places like Tom Sawyer's Island and less time standing in line. And while every skeptic I've taken to the parks has enjoyed their visit, that doesn't mean they wouldn't have been just as happy doing something else that was a heck of a lot cheaper. The advantage of Disney is that you could find something there for everyone to enjoy, meaning it's a good place for large vacationing groups. But it can be the wrong choice if someone's primary goal is simply to please their kids with a special vacation.

It took careful planning to get them to all their favorite characters and on their most desired thrill rides and get everything done in a few short days. It was my hobby... so fun! Lots of planning ahead so the trip could feel spontaneous and was a success with no feeling of sacrifice.

This is how I feel, and I'm not sure I'm going to do the parks next time. We're not going until January 2022, so maybe I'll be happier about it then, but usually I enjoy the planning and right now there's just no way. But if the new system comes out soon enough and is working smoothly enough and I can find enough reviews to feel I know how it works before we go, I may get more enthused. Or not.

And food prices...don't get me started. We are going this Wednesday and for the first time EVER, we only have 1 ADR for our 5 day trip. I told my daughter I'm done paying $120 for the 2 of us to eat lack-luster and mostly bad, food.

People used to insist that Disney prices were high but that you got better quality food there than you did in the other parks. :rolleyes: That wasn't true even the first time we went, which was more than a decade back, at least comparing like for like (Disney does offer more sit down restaurants). The counter service plan at SeaWorld when we went was surprisingly varied, and the preparation consistently good. With Disney food, the quality is not so consistent. I've gotten stuff at Disney that literally no one in my party was willing to consume. At this point I don't buy food at Disney except with my Disney Rewards Card, which I view as a sunk cost anyhow, so if the food is bad somehow it's easier to shrug off. I know I'm paying for theming more than for good food at Disney restaurants, paying for the "experience," but even looked at that way I think a lot of it is overpriced. I don't consider myself a food snob -- matter of fact I've always favored peasant food -- but I do know when something has been over cooked or under cooked, or has been sitting under a heating lamp for entirely too long, or is stale, or made with bagged eggs instead of fresh --or tastes nothing like what it's supposed to be (Sunshine Seasons creme brulee, I'm looking at you!). It has long seemed to me that Disney dining is a bigger gamble than visiting the parks.

I replied to the wrong post. Thanks for asking.

I’ve seen some people say their most recent trips have been their most memorable so Im curious why that is?
Ah, okay. Thank you. I’m curious about that, too. Some of it is the same person over and over saying how great everything is, which I don’t get. But maybe they’ll explain.

That is why we waited until DD was 10 (now 11) to go to Disney. When I was pregnant I read an article about a guy trying to convince his wife that they needed to go back to Disney so that their youngest could 'experience Disney'. So he asked his daughter over dinner about her favorite part of their Disney trip, "The Hotel Pool." When we've met families who've been to Disney, I ask the kids that question. It is shocking how many times it is the pool. Not always, but often.
To think of how much money could be saved by going to the Golden Nugget in Vegas for a few days just for the awesome pool.

I took my niece when she was 4, almost 5. On the way home I asked her what her favorite parts of the trip were. #1 was the hotel pool. Others were trading pins, playing in the parks (Chip & Dale, Winnie the Pooh, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, etc.), meeting the characters, getting made up like Princess Ariel (BBB), trick or treating (MNSSHP) and other things that didn't involve rides. I think she got to 8-10 things before she mentioned any rides.

I took my niece when she was 4, almost 5. On the way home I asked her what her favorite parts of the trip were. #1 was the hotel pool. Others were trading pins, playing in the parks (Chip & Dale, Winnie the Pooh, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, etc.), meeting the characters, getting made up like Princess Ariel (BBB), trick or treating (MNSSHP) and other things that didn't involve rides. I think she got to 8-10 things before she mentioned any rides.
I say this all the time. The Genie + add on cost makes no sense to our family. What we love most about our Disney trips, is not the rides. Most of the rides included in this "upgrade", don't require a Lightning Lane Pass, or are 1970's technology and fun... nostalgic yes, but skippable if the lines are long. We will wait in line for the few rides we want to do, and then find the fun and magic in the other experiences we love.

I'm not sure where you're eating, but with the exception of Tusker House, my sister and I never pay this much for a TS meal, Generally we spend between $45 and $60 for the two of us. We were just there in May and although prices were somewhat higher, they weren't $60/person. But we don't do character dining, so perhaps that's the difference. Also, we don't drink alcoholic beverages.

ETA: I may have a completely different take on dining at WDW because I'm vegan, and out there in America it can be extremely difficult to get a decent vegan meal. At WDW, it's actually easy (with some planning), which is one of the things I really appreciate about WDW. There's even a vegan entree at Flame Tree now--a place I'd never eaten at before and was happy to discover.

I'm not sure where you're eating, but with the exception of Tusker House, my sister and I never pay this much for a TS meal, Generally we spend between $45 and $60 for the two of us. We were just there in May and although prices were somewhat higher, they weren't $60/person. But we don't do character dining, so perhaps that's the difference. Also, we don't drink alcoholic beverages.

ETA: I may have a completely different take on dining at WDW because I'm vegan, and out there in America it can be extremely difficult to get a decent vegan meal. At WDW, it's actually easy (with some planning), which is one of the things I really appreciate about WDW. There's even a vegan entree at Flame Tree now--a place I'd never eaten at before and was happy to discover.
Our family are either Vegan or Vegetarian, and that's why we love dining at Disney. Some really nice options at every restaurant, and the price isn't outrageous at all. We have a sit down meal at least once a day without breaking the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter