I've never minded paying for what I perceive as value, but I hate feeling like I haven't paid enough

We will wait in line for the few rides we want to do, and then find the fun and magic in the other experiences we love.
My family is much more ride-focused, but I totally get where you're coming from. The problem, though, is that Disney has cut back so much on all of the other experiences. Many shows are still shuttered, with rumors that they will never come back. Parades are gone. Meet and greets are gone. Much of the street entertainment in the parks has been eliminated.

A lot of this was already happening before Covid, and much of it could have been restored by now but has not been. So it is hard to blame this solely on the pandemic.

Our family are either Vegan or Vegetarian, and that's why we love dining at Disney. Some really nice options at every restaurant, and the price isn't outrageous at all. We have a sit down meal at least once a day without breaking the bank.
We have a TS meal pretty much every day as well and have the same experience you've had.

"My question is what is anyone doing about it?"

Stop going. Go to Universal, go to Sea World. Find another place to take your vacations. That's all you can do. It won't work unless enough others stop going, however.

We stopped going. Last full WDW vacation was in 2015. DH and I went for two days in 2017 after a cruise because DH wanted to see Pandora. We were in the Orlando area in 2018 for a week and did US/IOA, saw Bohemian Rhapsody in IMAX, saw Blue Man Group, did a couple of nights at Disney Springs, did the Void (which the whole family loved), and did Medieval Times. There were 10 of us and we rented an 8 bedroom, 5 bath private pool home in Kissimmee for $275/night. We had a great time.

We found the whole DIsney experience to be very stressful. We normally traveled with family so the group I was planning for was between 8-12 people. I needed spreadsheets, maps, reservations, etc. I finally had it and we started going to Universal instead. We haven't gone back to Disney now since 2015. Love the ease of the trip, the ability to walk to the parks, the Express Pass, the restaurants... I could go on and on. We stay at the Portofino, which is like getting two vacations in one (the proximity to the parks make it very relaxing).

This past week we had family reach out saying they would like to plan a large family trip (5 siblings and their families) and WDW was on the list. They knew we just returned so they wanted our opinion/advice. We told them that we would not be willing to return and we definitely wouldn't recommend it for a very large party.
We are still considering the Orlando area but Universal and Sea World are now at the top of that destination instead of just WDW. I think it's the first time I've ever suggested other parks instead of WDW for a Florida trip :sad1:

This past week we had family reach out saying they would like to plan a large family trip (5 siblings and their families) and WDW was on the list. They knew we just returned so they wanted our opinion/advice. We told them that we would not be willing to return and we definitely wouldn't recommend it for a very large party.
We are still considering the Orlando area but Universal and Sea World are now at the top of that destination instead of just WDW. I think it's the first time I've ever suggested other parks instead of WDW for a Florida trip :sad1:
I don't think you will regret the decision to visit Universal with a large group. So EASY to plan!!

"My question is what is anyone doing about it?"

Stop going. Go to Universal, go to Sea World. Find another place to take your vacations. That's all you can do. It won't work unless enough others stop going, however.

Between 2016 and 2020 I went to Disney 5 times. I LOVE IT. 2016 was my families first, one and done trip. Obviously it was not.

This year I bought Annual passes to Universal, which we had never been to. We have already been twice this year with another two trips planned before our passes expire. That's what I did about it.

For years I had wanted to go to WDW in 2021 because my husband and I both turned 40 and had our 15 year anniversary. It didn't happen. We don't have a trip planned for 2022. It makes me SO SO sad bc WDW truly was my happy place for those few years.

Last edited:
Dessert parties are back...

$114 for "adults" 10 and over. But only those above 21 can enjoy the "included" alcohol.

I know they've always done it this way with "Disney adults" but it's still price gouging at it's finest.

Glad to see the priority is bringing back paid "solutions".

I think that this is happening across a lot of different area's of life, not just Disney. We are just getting less for more $ .

My favorite restaurant has a note on the menu that their crab cake prices are $4 more. OK. Then they give you a crab cake made with clearly inferior crab. A backfire crab cake for lump crab cake +$4 prices. Another example would be when food packages shrink yet the price increases.

I think that this is happening across a lot of different area's of life, not just Disney. We are just getting less for more $ .

My favorite restaurant has a note on the menu that their crab cake prices are $4 more. OK. Then they give you a crab cake made with clearly inferior crab. A backfire crab cake for lump crab cake +$4 prices. Another example would be when food packages shrink yet the price increases.
While this is true, IMO it's different with Disney.

It costs so much to get / stay there and then you have the admission price which then "allows" you to pay for all the other extras. Nothing about it feels inclusive anymore. It's just a massive a la carte experience now.

Dessert parties are back...

$114 for "adults" 10 and over. But only those above 21 can enjoy the "included" alcohol.

I know they've always done it this way with "Disney adults" but it's still price gouging at it's finest.

Not always. When I was a kid, Disney had "youth" admission prices. There was Child, Youth and Adult. Adult was age 18 and up.

We are out-of-state DVC owners. Typically purchase an AP (RIP Gold Pass) and go 3-4 weeks a year, staying a combination of on and off-site. We had planned on purchasing a new AP and going in December, with probably 3 other trips in 2022. Then they announced the ridiculous price increase for DVC AP, the $15 per person per day upcharge for Genie +, incredible increase to rack rate hotel prices and zero discounts available, etc. etc. etc.

Is it worth it? It depends.....I've certainly had some trips that the magic and memories are worth every penny we spent. But I've had PLENTY of trips that have just been ok. And a few which have been downright miserable (I've been sick, had kids who wouldn't sleep, had weather that was completely uncooperative, and a spring break trip in which the crowds straight up got the better of me). To some extent I've been able to balance the risk of disappointment by spreading our expense over several trips. So if we had one lackluster experience, we had another to look forward to and many good memories from other trips to provide consolation. But they have essentially cut travelers like me out of the equation - those of us who spent a good amount of money overall, but whose price per day was pretty low. We either have to go less often, or pay a significantly higher amount. And I'm not comfortable sinking much more into a trip when there's so many factors out of my control that could completely derail our experience.

On a whim, I priced a Universal vacation. For an annual passes for my family and a deluxe on-site room with UNLIMITED EXPRESS PASS, the cost is less than half of the cost of Disney AP's alone. We can WALK to the gate of each park from our hotel. The hotel is beautiful. And we essentially have fastpasses for all but two of the rides and one hour early entry to both parks each day. I have two sons - 5 and 10. They are much more interested in Harry Potter, Minions, Transformers, and Jurassic Park. Will Universal be able to complete with Disney for them? We'll have to see. But I feel way more hopeful than I expected before I'd researched it.....We're going to try it. And we decided to take the extra days and money and go explore the Everglades and Florida Keys. I'm looking forward to venturing out!

Hello
Im still curious. Y’all who’ve said your most recent trips were your best, why?

You’re thinking about how to make it work, right?

Well, I DID think about it, but dismissed it pretty quick. For the same price, I can buy tickets that get us into 5 Halloween Horror Nights at Universal. Also we are using our Universal Seasonal AP that cost $325 instead of what, $1300? Yikes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter