It's The Port Orleans FAQ Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDC Nala

1937, what a year that was
I wrote this for another website and am adapting it for this forum...

ABOUT THE PHOTOS: The photo service where I posted them has shut down. I don't know where the photos are now. The computer that held them in its hard drive is currently inoperable. If I can find them on a disk I will repost them. If not, I'll visit Riverside and take some new ones.

Port Orleans Riverside (formerly Dixie Landings)
1251 Dixie Drive
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830
(407) 934-6000
Fax: (407) 934-5777
For reservations call: (407) 934-7639

porwaterwheel2.jpg

Port Orleans Riverside Resort Facts
Opening Date: February 2, 1992 (as Dixie Landings Resort)
Category: Moderate
Rooms: 2,048 (entire complex has 3,056 rooms)
Levels: Alligator Bayou guest buildings have 2 levels;
Magnolia Bend guest buildings have 2 or 3 levels.

Port Orleans Riverside is the largest section of the Port Orleans Resort Complex. The smaller section, with its own different theme, is Port Orleans French Quarter. The Port Orleans complex was formed by the merger of the Dixie Landings Resort and the Port Orleans Resort in March 2001. Each section is treated as a separate resort by Central Reservations and each has its own check-in desk and features. Guests staying at French Quarter may use the amenities at Riverside and vice versa.

Room Categories: Standard and water view. Standard view will overlook a parking lot, trees, or other buildings. Water view can overlook the river or a swimming pool. All rooms are approximately 314 sq. ft. Extra charge for water view rooms. Most rooms have two double beds. Rooms with king beds are available in both standard and water view but will cost the same as a water view room.

Port Orleans Riverside is located in the Downtown Disney Resort Area. Epcot is the closest theme park. Typhoon Lagoon is the closest water park.

porboat2.jpg

Transportation to Disney Attractions: A shuttle boat runs nightly on the Sassagoula River to Downtown Disney, which is also serviced by bus. Bus to all other destinations. 4 bus stops, transportation shared with French Quarter.

GUIDE TO THE SASSAGOULA STEAMBOAT COMPANY
Riverside’s main building is designed as an old cotton mill and riverboat depot. The resort is situated on the Sassagoula River, which runs into Lake Buena Vista at Downtown Disney.

porlobby1.jpg

Fultons General Store is located off the lobby.

DINING AT PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE

pormill4.jpg

The Riverside Mill food court has five counter-service areas.
porboatwrights5.jpg

Boatwrights Dining Hall is the only full-service restaurant at the Port Orleans resort complex. French Quarter guests (when there are French Quarter guests) may walk to Riverside along the river or take a shuttle boat to eat at Boatwrights.

The River Roost lounge offers specialty drinks, appetizers, and musical entertainment in the evenings.

GUIDE TO PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE GUEST AREAS
Riverside divides its rooms between two uniquely themed sections. Alligator Bayou is the backwoods “swamp” area. It is made up of 16 separate small buildings with two stories and tin roofs. Smoking is permitted in Buildings 17, 27, 28, 34 and 36.
porbayou10.jpg

963 rooms in Alligator Bayou are equipped with trundle beds. You may request a trundle room for an extra $15 per night. The trundle beds make this section an economical alternative for families of five. The trundle bed is not large enough for an adult but will fit a child.

portrundle.jpg

Magnolia Bend features 4 large plantation-style mansion buildings – Acadian House, Magnolia Terrace, Oak Manor and Parterre Place. Smoking is permitted in Acadian House and Oak Manor.
porpartierre2.jpg

RECREATION AT PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE

Ol’ Man Island – Riverside’s main pool is an old-fashoned swimming hole located on an island surrounded by the Sassagoula River. There’s also the Muddy Rivers Pool Bar if you want to sit on the porch with a drink.
porpool6.jpg

There’s also a large playground.

Quiet Pools: Riverside has five quiet pools.

porfishing1.jpg

Fishin’ Hole: Cast your rod and reel it in at the stocked fishing hole. You can rent a cane pole and catch catfish, perch, bass and bluegill in the pond. There’s a catch-and-release policy so you’ll have to throw ‘em back. You can also book a fishing excursion on the Sassagoula River. Bring your rod and tackle, or rent them.

Arcade: The Medicine Show Arcade is located just off the main lobby.

Marina: Rent a pontoon boat or water mouse and take a ride down the Sassagoula River. Guests at Port Orleans French Quarter must use the Riverside marina for boat rentals. Here is where you can catch the Downtown Disney shuttle boat.

PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER

there is now a separate French Quarter FAQ. This one will be only for Riverside.

Because I can't edit the post above without deleting some pictures (and I don't want to delete any pictures) I'm posting changes here.

Smoking optional buildings are Oak Manor in the Mansions and Alligator Bayou buildings 18 and 38.

Carriage rides are offered in the evenings (weather permitting) from 6 to 9:30 pm. $30 per ride. Make reservations at the Riverside marina.

Port Orleans: French Quarter is open. Riverside guests may use all amenities at French Quarter and refill mugs in the French Quarter food court. Boats to Downtown Disney will stop at the French Quarter dock. Buses are often shared with FQ.

Looks beautiful TDC Nala! Thanks for all of that hard work!

Thanks so much!!! It's great that my thoughts were heard!!

I'll come up with a few questions for everyone, but why don't we all just give our impressions of PO, what we liked/didn't like...

Thanks eveyone!!

Sarah

Okay, first question. With the FTP how likely do you all think it is that I will get a room in one of the mansions (I will fax in my request 4 days before)? We're going (my fiance & I for our honeymoon) Aug 15-22.

Thanks!
Sarah

My fiance and I are hoping for a King bed Aug 10-16 in the mansions. I will be very disappointed if I don't get it. Well I should at least get the king bed part b/c I had to pay extra for that. Harlyey - did you reserve a king bed room too?

Thanks TDC Nala. You did such a great job. I was going to take this task upon myself (feeling very unqualified having only been there once). There was a realy need to these FAQ's.

I love Port Orleans Riverside. The grounds are what really make it so beautiful. It is such a wonderful place to relax at and just walk around, especially at night. The theme is also very way played out; it doesn't seem contrived or forced. The boat to downtown disney is also very nice, very relaxing. IMHO, I feel that Port Orleas Riverside rivals the deluxe resorts with it's beautiful landscaping, wonderful theme, and boat transportation.

Sarah,
To answer your question, I think you have a very good change of getting a mansion room. The AB rooms are the only ones with trundles bed (and most of them have them). They will probably need them for the families of five who booked the FTP. I think they usually put families in AB and couples in the Mansion, although I'm sure many people will now write that they were a couple and they stayed in the AB. If you had it noted on your reservation that your are celebrating your honeymoon there and that you request the Mansions, I'm sure you'll get it.

Thanks again TDC Nala!

Actually honeymo I didn't! I thought we'd get upgraded for sure, but we'll be okay if we don't. Even though it is my honeymoon, I don't plan on being in the room too much ;)

We're on a very tight budget (that's why we're at POR and not the Poly:p !)

Maybe we'll see each other! You could tell us all the stuff we should/shouldn't do! Have you been there before? Did you make any food ps's?

Sarah

Sarah,

I've stayed at POR twice before, once as POR and once as DL. We might not be much help though since its been forever since I've gone when I was on the gold plan, so we are going all out. I made lots of PSs. I have a thread on the restaurants board listing them all (it might be a page or two back).Here is the link http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392393 If you have any questions though I'll sure try to answer them.

I have more pictures that'll be going up sometime soon when I get a chance to put them up.

If you look at the fact that Riverside has 2,048 rooms, the odds that you'll be put in the mansions if you request them is pretty good (although they don't have a lot of king bed rooms so I don't know about the odds for that). If you're requesting a particular mansion, I don't know about that. When I stayed at Riverside I asked to be in Alligator Bayou Building 14 and was placed there both times, so at least in my experience they try to fill requests.

From the resort map it looks like all of the mansion bldgs are close to the main building. Is this true in reality?

I can't wait! I need a countdown thingy...

Sarah

I was under the impression that AB bld. #18 was a smoking building - is that incorrect?

Originally posted by harleyquinn
From the resort map it looks like all of the mansion bldgs are close to the main building. Is this true in reality?

I can't wait! I need a countdown thingy...

Sarah

Yes the mansions are somewhat closer to the main building. Walking from the furthest point from Parterre Place was a great walk for me. I was in room 9606 :).

Wonderful job TDC Nala!!!:bounce: :bounce:
so happy to see you start this thread on POR

we are staying at POR 7/16 to 7/23 -we will be in AB due to the need for a trundle bed- i have requested bld 14 or 15
this will be our first stay at POR

when we return i will be happy to answer any questions and give an update on renovations

the resort looks beautiful and i can't wait to get there!!

lisa:p

Dear Ladies and Gents,

My wife and I are to visit WDW for the first ever time and have booked at POR. Having now read your comments I would appreciate your thoughts on whether to ask for a particular building or just go with the flow. It is our Honeymoon and I do wish to make it as nice as poss. We have no kids and don't smoke. We are keen on water views and have paid the extra for these but is it possible to contact anyone at Disney to find out our allocated room for January or is it too early?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks from England

Kuli:Pinkbounc :bounce:

THE DENTIST , they will not assign your room until 4 days before your visit. You can call central reservations and ask them to put a room request in your reservation. Other people send them a fax. We have always been very lucky in getting our requests.

You will enjoy the resort no matter where your room is. Also mention you are on your honeymoon.

Hi, thanks for posting....great job...love Port Orleans Riverside, staying there next May, cant wait. especially after looking at all the great pictures you have posted. Really cant wait to get back there.
Thanks again
Denise:) :Pinkbounc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter