It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

Thanks for the hotel info! The restaurant reservation possibility and fast passes are tempting - not too sure how to value that though.
I need to go back to poring over the Asia Parks Boards now! And TDRExplorer!
For those who have not been, the Hilton Tokyo Bay etc I would say are kind of similar to staying at the Polynesian at WDW in terms of distance. And was easier to get to the parks than some at WDW and Explorers Lodge at HKDL (although that hotel is very cool!)
Not sure if the map off Google maps will work.

data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x60c6e01114b07be9!5m1!1s2018-05-13!8m2!3d35.627107!4d139.8737478

And was easier to get to the parks than some at WDW and Explorers Lodge at HKDL (although that hotel is very cool!)
data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x60c6e01114b07be9!5m1!1s2018-05-13!8m2!3d35.627107!4d139.8737478
I was debating staying at the explorer's lodge in November... I know you can take a shuttle which seemed fine but it is more complicated than I am thinking? Seems the Disneyland Hotel isn't THAT much closer in HK..?

Yep! They said they *might* get more rooms later and accommodate. Who can plan like that? I'm sure they won't have any trouble filling it up though, so its probably just smart business for them and their commission!
I guess, but that's someone I'm never booking with!

Sayhello

I can't figure out how to quote
The shuttle from Explorers at HKDL was not bad at all - we were there in early Jan. We have bad memories of hot shuttle waits at DLR and WDW, so we have 'shuttle anxiety'! HK Weather should be cool in November so that would help. At HKDL, you can walk from the Disneyland Hotel. We picked Explorers cause reviews were great and we had stayed at the Disneyland Hotel previously (when ABD used to stay there).
Monorail loop in Japan was easier and less stressful. My point was more that the Tokyo DL 'monorail hotels' are really close. But MiraCosta sounds amazing......decisions, decisions......

I can't figure out how to quote
There are 2 ways to quote.

Either hit "Reply" on the right bottom corner of the post you want to quote, which will paste the quote into the text box at the bottom of the page.

Or hit "+Quote" in the same spot, and then the "Insert Quotes" button that appears at the bottom left of the text box, and that will also post one or more quotes into the text box.

Sayhello

I was debating staying at the explorer's lodge in November... I know you can take a shuttle which seemed fine but it is more complicated than I am thinking? Seems the Disneyland Hotel isn't THAT much closer in HK..?

Having stayed at the HKDL Hotel and visited Explorer's Lodge, I'd stay at Explorer's Lodge next time regardless of price. It was just more interesting hotel.

Having stayed at the HKDL Hotel and visited Explorer's Lodge, I'd stay at Explorer's Lodge next time regardless of price. It was just more interesting hotel.

Agreed. I was going to go for HKDL Hotel but... its so much nicer at Explorers! I was just worried when @disneyphx suggested it was rough getting to the park from there.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like Explorer's; I much preferred the HKDL Hotel. Granted, I only did a walkthrough of Explorer's and didn't see any of the rooms, but I didn't like the look or feel of it at all. It felt like a cheap copy of Animal Kingdom Lodge to me.

Agreed. I was going to go for HKDL Hotel but... its so much nicer at Explorers! I was just worried when @disneyphx suggested it was rough getting to the park from there.

HKDL Hotel is slightly closer, but even that is a long walk. We took the shuttle from the park to Explorers. No issues.

Explorers Lodge is smaller than AKL, but I still thought it was a cool theme and well done. Here’s Joe Rohde’s thoughts Explorers vs AKL. I remembered it because we happened to be in HKDL when he instagrammed it - https://instagram.com/p/BaV7PGDnLtG/

Last edited:
Wow, 9 departures, 6 are waitlisted already. Prices have gone up by almost $1,000 on the remaining 3.

I suspect they'll be doing this trip again next year.

Wow, 9 departures, 6 are waitlisted already. Prices have gone up by almost $1,000 on the remaining 3.

Wow!! That's pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see if the interest is sustained, or all in one spurt, since so many people have been waiting for this one.

I noticed that the October 13 Adults Only trip is back on the website and the October 6 date is gone. Wonder if that was a clerical error?

Sayhello

With the summer Olympics in Tokyo next year 2020, they may offer fewer trips. Their July 14 and July 28 departures this year would overlap the Olympics. I can’t see them competing for hotel space plus the crowds will be huge. Pricing I expect would likely be impacted during that time.

I'm awful with remembering numbers. I knew there was a 9 and now there's a 10, before the comma. LOL $600 is still a pretty big rise for technically being open for 2 days.

That is amazing. My departure date (7/14) is now full. I suspect you are right about them doing it again next year. Seems like a solid hit for ABD. I hate to tell them I told you so, LOL :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter