It's just too dang easy...

Agreed. I'm done, but keep looking for stuff to "fill in" the gaps. Right now, I'm thinking DIL's gifts need beefing up. I ordered a couple of books from her wish list (let's not even talk about the "Miracle on 34th Street" Universal Wish List Amazon offers), but I think I might still get something else for her.

Where can I find this Universal Wish List? Although I've already ordered so much off of Amazon that I feel like I need to get our UPS driver a gift now because he's stopping at our house everyday!

I order often from Amazon but I do so with a lot of guilt. I have a family member who works in retail and I think Amazon will be the downfall of a lot of companies. And malls. That’s a lot of jobs.
This is why I try to hit as many actual stores as possible. Unfortunately some of the things I want cannot be bought at stores or used book stores. So to amazon I go!

Amazon save me lots of silly trips for things like small jingle bells. I need about 100 of them for DD10’s class party next week. Do I run to the craft store or spend 10 seconds online? TGF Amazon!

Now you all made me open my guilty eyes and look...78 orders...(and many with multiple items in them)...gulp! Well, at least I'm not the "winner" among the contestants on this thread!

I only have 26 orders in 6 months. I guess I have a little more self control than most of you on here:p.

But it's probably because I've got 2 kids in college and discretionary spending is at a minimum:(.

Which reminds me, google amazon student if you have a college student and get it free for 6 months then after that for half price:thumbsup2

I order often from Amazon but I do so with a lot of guilt. I have a family member who works in retail and I think Amazon will be the downfall of a lot of companies. And malls. That’s a lot of jobs.

I think jobs will be redistributed rather than eliminated. With an increase in internet shopping, ecommerce stores will need to hire more people and shipping companies will need additional people.

I don't really feel guilty.

I mean one of the Amazon facilities near me hired 1,000 full-time employees (so who knows how many part-time) plus more for managers and support teams. We have several facilities near me though not all may have 1,000+ employees each.

The only thing that I'm frustrated with is with retail stores going out of business where I buy clothes at. Clothes are just something I do not buy period (unless it's an item I have previously bought before and know will fit) online.

Malls went out of business partially because there was an oversaturation of malls in America. So many were built and close enough together.

I must say I'm impressed by the Amazon pros here :)

This year we didn't buy as much online on Amazon as we did last year. We need to get toys for 3 boys but we're out of town right before Christmas so we're just going to the store to get them rather than buy online.

We will do gift cards (ironically one person will get Amazon gift cards) for several people.

Two things we bought through LTD Commodities. In the year's past that probably would have been bought through Amazon.

One person we bought 2 items from Rally House (technically the store location was called Kansas Sampler but they are owned by the same people as Rally House).

What I bought for my husband wouldn't have been able to be bought online unless I had been to the store first to know it was long enough to fit him.

We did buy an item online through Shutterfly.

So far the only things for Christmas we have bought via Amazon was 2 Las Vegas books for my mom. My husband did buy 2 things for me on Amazon.

I have 68 orders in the last 6 months, 15 in the last 30 days. I have 8 things in my cart right now so there will be a few more before the month is over.

Amazon saved me a ton of money on medical supplies in the past year. I'm very grateful for that.

I am glad to see others trying not to buy more and more though. It's not just me! :)

Sure Amazon treats their employees like crap and the jobs are garbage. But Let's face it. Retail was a nice career when those born in the 60s were young. But gradually over their lives the jobs have become junk and employees treated like crap. And that was before Amazon was even thought of.

I don't feel bad about shopping online or with Amazon. We have huge Amazon facility near me that hires thousands of employees. Philadelphia and Camden are bidding for a new facility that would bring in 50K employees to the area. The reason I switched to online shopping was because ALL of the malls in my area are always crazy busy. I live within a 10-20 minute drive of at least 20 or more shopping malls, shopping centers or shopping strips. You can never find parking and it's always a zoo year round. I don't think they are lacking for business there.

Sure Amazon treats their employees like crap and the jobs are garbage. But Let's face it. Retail was a nice career when those born in the 60s were young. But gradually over their lives the jobs have become junk and employees treated like crap. And that was before Amazon was even thought of.
Eh I wouldn't really say they've become junk and employees are treated like crap. But even if that's your opinion, which is fine, it doesn't really relate to the poster's concern which was Amazon is/has put retail stores out of business. Retail stores have struggled as the way people do shopping has changed. Even online shopping has adjusted over time.

Payless didn't go out of business or struggle because their jobs have become junk and employees treated like crap. Radio Shack ditto, K-Mart and Sears ditto, Gordmans ditto, even how JCP struggles isn't due to their jobs being junk and employees treated like crap.

Eh I wouldn't really say they've become junk and employees are treated like crap. But even if that's your opinion, which is fine, it doesn't really relate to the poster's concern which was Amazon is/has put retail stores out of business. Retail stores have struggled as the way people do shopping has changed. Even online shopping has adjusted over time.

Payless didn't go out of business or struggle because their jobs have become junk and employees treated like crap. Radio Shack ditto, K-Mart and Sears ditto, Gordmans ditto, even how JCP struggles isn't due to their jobs being junk and employees treated like crap.

I never said they went out of business because they treat their employees like crap. And compared to when I was young, yes retail employees are treated like garbage. But that is also true in a lot of industries.

I never said they went out of business because they treat their employees like crap. And compared to when I was young, yes retail employees are treated like garbage. But that is also true in a lot of industries.
Apologies. The quote you had replied to said: "I order often from Amazon but I do so with a lot of guilt. I have a family member who works in retail and I think Amazon will be the downfall of a lot of companies. And malls. That’s a lot of jobs."

I wasn't getting the relation your comment of: "Sure Amazon treats their employees like crap and the jobs are garbage. But Let's face it. Retail was a nice career when those born in the 60s were young. But gradually over their lives the jobs have become junk and employees treated like crap. And that was before Amazon was even thought of." to that of the one you quoted.

This is exactly it! If I need something and know I won't have time to stop at the store until the weekend, it's so convenient to order it on Amazon and have it here in two days. Almost always, the prices are close or even a little better.

I would just have to remember to order a couple days before I need it. I'm more of a...run to the store tonight because I realized I needed something to add to dinner and a tube of toothpaste.

I was surprised that my total wasn't as much as I had anticipated. I have a credit card that I use only for Amazon and when the bill came the other day, I was almost afraid to open it, but it wasn't as bad as I had thought - lots of orders, but mostly low dollar items.
Well, there you go. You spent less then expected. More reason to hop on and order more stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter