Its Halloween time at the Fort

The fort was quite empty when were riding bikes through yesterday. It's amazing how many people got those decorations down and were gone on Nov 1st.

Yes, it does, @wdw_dine_junkie . I noticed the same thing the few times I've been at Halloween.

This year, though, because Halloween was on a Tuesday (mid-week) that more folks might stay longer. Guess I was wrong.

It is kinda nice, though, to have it clear out and quiet down some.

Bama Ed

We survived the first night of fireworks last night. She did not like it and drooled a lot but she did it.

It was a 2:15 am wake up. Whisky was confused so decided to eat her dinner from last night. She was not happy to go in the crate and have us leave but I think she was happy the house was not moving. We were in the first bus and waited quite sometime. Was not dressed properly (yes I know better so my fault) but decided my plan for the 10k was to take it easy. I was in coral A and Bert was in coral B. His plan is to take both races easy. He did great 68 minutes, 11 minute miles and not feeling bad. I did 10:20s but actually started slow and got faster each mile. Everything feels ok at the moment so hoping to do similar tomorrow and the knee hangs in for 21km.

Here is the medal and unhappy puppy.
165A51B3-0E72-429E-9C66-CEA2214EB3C8.jpeg

2F4943A2-B503-4E35-B6A3-130840FF5686.jpeg

Bert is my hero! That's my goal. 68 minutes... for a 5k... :cheer2: :rotfl2: And he did it on his birthday.

I know. I know. That was his 10k time.

Nice job, both of you. Rest, Ice, Ibuprofen and get ready for the 1/2.

j

After the race and recovery, took whisky for a walk and romp at the dog park. Came home and had pancakes and bacon for brunch. Next we slept. All 3 of us outside under the awning or in whisky’s favorite spot.

0E0CB264-86B3-4D2B-BCDB-337FEF47044A.jpeg

I have been doing intermittent work this weekend to boot. Another romp at the dog park and now making dinner.

After the race and recovery, took whisky for a walk and romp at the dog park. Came home and had pancakes and bacon for brunch. Next we slept. All 3 of us outside under the awning or in whisky’s favorite spot.

View attachment 807651

I have been doing intermittent work this weekend to boot. Another romp at the dog park and now making dinner.
How does Whisky like the dog park? When I take mine, they can’t wait to get in and then once they are in, they can’t wait to get out.

How does Whisky like the dog park? When I take mine, they can’t wait to get in and then once they are in, they can’t wait to get out.
Loves it. Sniffs around, chases the ball, drinks lots of water, and generally likes to romp with another dog. We live in a condo so she is used to dog parks. She goes everyday unless the weather is bad.

Whisky is beautiful. I love her "poor me look". I get that from Missy all the time. Our Vet calls her Drams Queen, which she is. Congratulations on your runs.

Bert and Kris,

I peeked at the Half Marathon results and it looked like both of you had mile splits today similar to the pace for the 10k. I would think that was good, no? :confused3

I hope knees, hips, shins, etc. are all okay after the race today. Congrats to you both!

Ed

PS - and hey, I see ya'll will be moving into a new age bracket within the next year. ;)

Sorry I miss you guys Garneska, Kris and Bert. I'm more of a Facebook person now so I only check in here randomly. We were there last week and actually left yestarday. We eneded up on the same loop as Steve but with us both busy with the grands we only saw each other a couple of times. My goal is to really retire in 2 or 3 years and have more down time at the Fort. Which I did Saturday. We took our time packing and it was so much better when we had to leave. Maybe I can see more people next year.

Let's see if i can give an update that makes sense. Sorry i might repeat myself. It's Monday and we are working today and the rest of the week. I will try and do this in parts rather than by day.

Race Recap:

Saturday was 10k day. We got up at 2:15 and whisky decided she was finally going to eat some of her dinner. It was chilly out but we forgot to bring extra throw away clothes and i wanted to save what i had for Sunday. I took a long sleeve that i ended up wearing for the entire race and a poncho to block the wind. It was not really cold but for sitting outside for 2 hours it was not nice to be in shorts and for me long sleeves. I was glad for the poncho and Bert was even cold. We got on the first bus and we were there very early. I say we got to the gathering area by 3:10 and the race started at 5. The race itself was decent. We both decided to take it easy. I treated it like a training run. I finished with a 10:21 minute mile average and Bert 11:04. Both of us pleased and felt good after the race. We were back by 7 am.

Sunday was the half and bert thought it was de ja vue. I was happy we got the extra hour of sleep but up again at 2:15. Whisky again decided to eat dinner. We were not on the first bus and we sat a little bit before they sent us to wilderness lodge for a pick up and then to Epcot. I was happy with that as i did not want to be as early. We did have throw away clothes so i was much happier this morning. The weather was beautiful for running 60 and not humid. I was a bit worried about the course as you hit epcot right away and then around the boardwalk to HS. i thought it would be too crowded but i had no issues. We had a LOT of park time in HS. i was surprised by this. However lots of highway miles from mile 6 to 11. Then it was back to Epcot. I was secretly hoping to go under 2:15, while not a great time for me it is about where my fitness is with all the injuries. I did 2:16:19 so not too unhappy with it and very consistent at 10:24 minute miles. Bert was very happy he wanted to be consistent and was. He finished in 2:26:19 with 11:11 miles. My knee held on during the run but my knee was not happy once i stopped. It bothered me all day yesterday. Bert felt pretty good, until this morning. His achilles, both of them very painful. It was hard for him to walk. I on the other hand felt better, but we are both taking a few days off to recover.

Ok that was long and all about the race. WIll come back and do after party and whisky update.

Ok that was long and all about the race. WIll come back and do after party and whisky update.
Overall, a successful race weekend. Hopefully Bert's heels get better fast and your knee was just reminding you that you aren't 20 anymore. Once you remembered, the knee said; "Ok. We're good!" :yay:

j

Overall, a successful race weekend. Hopefully Bert's heels get better fast and your knee was just reminding you that you aren't 20 anymore. Once you remembered, the knee said; "Ok. We're good!" :yay:

j
That bolded part is basically what i am going through. i am trying to accept, though not always doing a great job of it, that i might not be as fast as i was 10 years ago. I really do love to run and want to be able to continue to do it much longer. I am trying to remind myself that going slower might keep me running longer and that is more the ultimate goal. I want to run 25 more years not 5 because i did stupid things.

I forgot to post the medals.
9C380110-2647-4CDA-AC4A-61FC2D7F2A38.jpeg

i think i have a moment to update on the the past couple of days including the after party.

Sunday was similar to saturday. After the recovery took Whisky to the dog park, then home for pancakes and sausage this time. After that was a nap. My knee hurt pretty good so i did not nap well. Then more walking of Whisky and to the after party.

Our ticket got us into Epcot at 5 and we could stay till 1 am. We had a dinner ressie at Takumi Tei at 6:15. we left the camper at 4:50. First time in a while i have been in a car line to park. Then we had to use a special entrance to get in, and then get our wrist band. We made it to Takumi Tei at 6. Epcot was PACKED. Was glad at that moment i would have a long dinner to keep me out of the crowds. We finished dinner at 8:30 and thought briefly about staying for the fireworks, but we were tired and it was packed. We left. Got back at 9 and then walked a whisky again. Hoping she survived the fireworks on her own in the crate. We were in bed just before 10 and i was out.

Adding pics of dinner. I forgot to take pics of most of the courses.

8FB678FB-F6EC-419B-B007-BEB7638DCD97.jpeg

FBECFB67-FA2B-44F1-9C96-3308259D8CEC.jpeg

61472D03-470C-41CC-B47B-CB19B190F1B0.jpeg

531C6C40-558C-4A07-9D94-5ECCD029B681.jpeg

7C73C8B7-A123-4867-861C-FFF5BCED0965.jpeg

Monday we walked whisky slowly and then had to work. As i said stupid busy the next few weeks so not getting out much. I was able to spend the day outside with whisky and so far today i am as well. Whisky is starting to relax some. We had a good night last night with a campfire and hot dogs. I took whisky inside for the fireworks and bert stayed with the fire. She was not happy and once the fireworks started she got right next to me and leaned against me. I could feel her shaking. I felt bad. Once through it though, back outside for smores and then another walk.

Today i decided one more rest day. We did walk a lot further this morning though. i plan to do a short easy run tomorrow. I think bert is waiting one more day. Whisky got to see the horse carriage come through, they were training. Boy was she interested. The horse actually caused her to get out from under the table. She is enjoying stick chewing and digging.

Tonight burgers on the grill.

Hi all! We arrived to Fort Wilderness on Saturday and got settled into site 1738. We have seen the famous trio of Bert, Kris and Whiskey out walking but haven’t yet been able to get to see them. We have Briar with us and she is doing fine. Tonight is dinner at Boma with friends. Officially we are her for IAPPA but so far just enjoying Disney and the Florida ☀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter