• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!

disneychic2

DIS Veteran
Okay, Mo, here it is...

Hi! My name is Lois and this is my first ever trip report. First ever new post for that matter! So if it's a little DIS-jointed, please forgive me.:rotfl:

I guess I start with the cast of characters for this trip. Besides myself, there was my husband Dan and our granddaughter Charlotte, who turned 5 on the trip. Oh, was I supposed to give the dates? I was, wasn't I...okay, our trip was Wednesday, Feb 5th to Thursday, Feb 13th of this year and we stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, which is our favorite resort.

A little background for those who don't know me. I am blessed with a husband who loves Disney almost as much as I do. We go to DW every year and sometimes twice in a year. I am mother to 4, 2 DD and 2 DS. We are empty nesters who love spending time together and enjoy a "date night" every Friday. We have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We plan to take each grandchild to Disney when they turn 5. So far, we've taken our oldest DGD, Selah and this was Charlotte's turn. I love planning my trips almost as much as taking them, and I love to read other TR and PTRs too. I'm on the DIS boards more than I should be, but I have "met" some amazing and dear friends on here, so it's all worth it!

I guess photos would be good at this point, so I'll give those a whirl.

Okay, it only took and hour and a half, but here they are:

First, Dan and I at Be Our Guest restaurant from our September trip.

And here is Charlotte;

I'm just going to say up front that I didn't take enough photos. But I was "in the moment" with Charlotte, so it's all good.

Okay, I'm up and running and I'll come back later to start the actual first day. It was quite interesting, but all came out well eventually. Or did it???

Here! Can't wait to read and see the pics when I get home... Having breakfast with V righr now.

D~

I'm here! Didn't quite make it first but close!

Glad to finally "meet" you. :wave:

Your Granddaughter is adorable and I can't wait to read more!

I'm here too. Looking forward to following along on Charlotte's adventures, our 2 year old Charlotte will be having her own in a couple of weeks.

I am here and i was IN THE INTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pfft... I was vaguely mentioned, in a round-about-way. :rolleyes1

but I have "met" some amazing and dear friends on here, so it's all worth it!
<----- Pretty sure the "amazing" and "dear" were me... She just didn't want to mention names. ::yes::

I loved FINALLY meeting you Lois!!! I have been so anxious for you to start this - and guess what? You look JUST like I imagined you would! :woohoo: Sweet, nice, kind, genuine... Yup... :thumbsup2 Perfect... And it's so great to finally meet Dan too... Two people I admire greatly for all they give to others. :lovestruc

And little Charlotte... She is just precious! Did you make her outfit? It's adorable!

I am so excited to hear about this trip. popcorn::

D~

I'm here too! And on the first page! Sorry D~ I think the "amazing" and "dear" friends she was referring to was me!

Its nice to finally put a face to a name! And Charlotte is as cute as a button!

Can't wait to read about your first day....I think....

First ever new post for that matter! So if it's a little DIS-jointed, please forgive me.:rotfl:

:rotfl2: You funny lady! Teehee!!

I'm hereeeeee! How adorable that you take your grandkiddos to Disney when they turn 5!! What lucky gandkiddos!!! Charlotte is adorable too!!

Can't wait to read more!
:thumbsup2

Here! Can't wait to read and see the pics when I get home... Having breakfast with V righr now.

D~

That was quick!! Hope you and V had lots of fun.

I'm here! Didn't quite make it first but close!

Glad to finally "meet" you. :wave:

Your Granddaughter is adorable and I can't wait to read more!

Ariana, hi! So glad you're here!

I'm here too. Looking forward to following along on Charlotte's adventures, our 2 year old Charlotte will be having her own in a couple of weeks.

Glad to have you aboard! Don't you just love the name Charlotte? I know your little Charlotte will have so much fun. I'm excited for you!

I am here and i was IN THE INTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotfl: Well, if it wasn't for you brow beating me...okay, encouraging me, I would never have started this thing!

Can't wait to hear all about it!
Your DGD is ADORABLE!!!!

Thanks! Glad you're joining in!

Pfft... I was vaguely mentioned, in a round-about-way. :rolleyes1

<----- Pretty sure the "amazing" and "dear" were me... She just didn't want to mention names. ::yes::D~

How did you know D~?? Of course you are amazing and dear to me!

I loved FINALLY meeting you Lois!!! I have been so anxious for you to start this - and guess what? You look JUST like I imagined you would! :woohoo: Sweet, nice, kind, genuine... Yup... :thumbsup2 Perfect... And it's so great to finally meet Dan too... Two people I admire greatly for all they give to others. :lovestruc

And little Charlotte... She is just precious! Did you make her outfit? It's adorable!

I am so excited to hear about this trip. popcorn::

D~

Awww, such sweet words D~. Thanks for being here and for the encouragement. I did make Charlotte's outfit, but I'll have to add a close up so you can see it is the characters from Frozen. She was surprised and overjoyed with the outfit.

You guys are simply ADORABLE!!! And Charlotte? why isn't she in the MOVIES?!?! :hug:

Thanks Mo! And believe me, Charlotte is a little actress. She knows all the songs from frozen and acts them out as she sings them. She poses for pics the same way your little diva does. I love it! I really am glad you're here...and before the weekend, too. I'm impressed!

I'm here too! And on the first page! Sorry D~ I think the "amazing" and "dear" friends she was referring to was me!

Its nice to finally put a face to a name! And Charlotte is as cute as a button!

Can't wait to read about your first day....I think....

Hi Tess! Of course I was referring to you my amazing and dear friend! So glad you're here!

Following along! :)

Welcome!! So glad you are following. I hope I make it interesting enough for everyone.

:rotfl2: You funny lady! Teehee!!

I'm hereeeeee! How adorable that you take your grandkiddos to Disney when they turn 5!! What lucky gandkiddos!!! Charlotte is adorable too!!

Can't wait to read more!
:thumbsup2

Oh goodie, you're here! And you being so busy and all, too. We have a lot of fun taking the grands to Disney. Only two so far, but it's nice to let them do whatever they want, ride a ride 5 times in a row, whatever. I tell them, it's their trip, we will do whatever they want. That sort of bit me in the behind on our first day this trip.

FIRST DAY

We live 8 minutes away from the airport we flew out of, so we were able to sleep in until 4:30AM on day of departure. We got to the airport about 40 minutes later. Dan dropped me off and went to park the car while I checked in.

Only, went I got inside, everything was dark, no one at the ticket counter, hey, I didn't need a ton of bricks to fall on me to figure out everything may not be okay. Pretty soon an airport employee asked me where we were headed. Yep, flight to Atlanta was cancelled. All flights for that morning were cancelled. Dan and I were sitting there trying to figure out what to do, when an Airtran employee came up to us and offered to see what she could do.

Long story short, although there was only one seat available for a non-stop flight to Orlando that was leaving at 11:20, she not only booked us on it, but issued our boarding passes for some really awesome seats and held our luggage for us so we wouldn't have to bother with trudging them back and forth again. On top of that, we got about $20 credit onto our account! Score!pixiedust:

Fast forward and we returned to the airport for our flight and it turns out ours will be the first flight to leave the airport for the day! Yikes! It was a great flight and we arrived in Orlando only 1 1/2 hours later than our earlier flight would have arrived. We went straight to the Magical Express area (see Ariana's ptr for pics! haha) and we were on board our bus in minutes. It left shortly afterwards. I think ME is one of the best perks Disney has come up with!

We stopped at Saratoga Springs first, then on to Port Orleans French Quarter. As soon as we stepped into the lobby, Charlotte came running up to me and threw herself at me and would not let go. I guess I should explain here that our DD, Emily and her DH Josh came from Colorado bringing Charlotte to us. Josh was on leave from Kuwait and they were staying off site with their 2 year old Caroline. They didn't want to horn in on our time with Charlotte, but we had plans together for a couple of meals, and to share her on her birthday.

You know, I really don't know how detailed I should get on this. Am I including too much narrative? Too many details? Help me out here. I've read a lot of reports, but I just get caught up in them and never paid attention to how they were done. I don't want to bore anyone here.

I did take a few photos with the thought that I would post them randomly and see if anyone could identify where they are. Dan is waiting for me to go do errands with him, so I need to stop here. So, I'll leave you with one of those random photos and see if anyone can guess where it is located.

The first one to guess will get....well, nothing! But bragging rights count, right? I'll be back!

Not too much at all... I think you are doing a great job.

Just write Lois... Either people will read or they won't. LOL You do such a great job replying to what others write in their reports - just write yours the same way. :thumbsup2

Sooo... Very happy to hear that your cancelled flight was delayed only a bit and you were able to get on the next one... And some awesome Pixie Dust to start off your trip too! I would be a bit nervous being the first flight to take off - but I guess I'd rather be taking off in it than landing.

I agree- I love ME too... It's what allows me to take these trips in the first place, since I don't drive in strange places.

How awesome that Charlotte's family was there too... It sounds like a nice compromise, I am sure that she would also want to spend time with her dad while he was home - so very nice for all of you that you could coordinate it that way.

I am totally stumped on the photo... It kind of looks like a bit of AK to me? But I have a suspicion I am wrong...

Have a great time running errands with Dan today!

D~

Just tell your story Lois. I love to hear the details.

Um.....I'm going to guess that picture was taken at HS on the studio tour???? Really, I don't have any concrete ideas....:wave2::confused3

Lois, love hearing about your trip. The more details and stories the better. It is a trip REPORT and we must know all. :)

No idea where that picture is but if I ever see it around WDW I will definitely think of you.

Taking all the kids to WDW when they are 5 sounds like so much fun. I love Charlotte's outfit. I'm sure your DD and her DH were happy to be in Florida enjoying the warm weather. Getting a 5 year old to Florida from Colorado on her own sounds a bit tricky. I can't believe that you and Dan made it to Florida. When you posted your flight was cancelled and everyone was having such crazy weather I was afraid you guys would never make it.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

You're doing great, DIS-ers love details, the more the better!!

Stinks about not knowing your flight was cancelled but glad it all worked out okay! Good thing you got that nice, helpful airline employee!

Not too much at all... I think you are doing a great job.

Just write Lois... Either people will read or they won't. LOL You do such a great job replying to what others write in their reports - just write yours the same way. :thumbsup2D~

Thanks, D~. I'll try to relax and just talk to my friends.:goodvibesD~[/QUOTE]

Sooo... Very happy to hear that your cancelled flight was delayed only a bit and you were able to get on the next one... And some awesome Pixie Dust to start off your trip too! I would be a bit nervous being the first flight to take off - but I guess I'd rather be taking off in it than landing.D~

The cancellations were due to weather in other places and getting planes to our airport, so I wasn't nervous about it at all. We did get de-iced, but then all was go. Honestly, our seats had so much room, I could extend my legs out in front of me completely! And I'm 5'8"! We went to subway on the way back to the airport and Dan got a sandwich and I got a salad to eat on the plane. It all worked out for the best I guess.

I agree- I love ME too... It's what allows me to take these trips in the first place, since I don't drive in strange places. D~

Dan especially appreciates it b/c he always says his vacation starts with ME. He counts not driving at all while there as part of his vacation.

How awesome that Charlotte's family was there too... It sounds like a nice compromise, I am sure that she would also want to spend time with her dad while he was home - so very nice for all of you that you could coordinate it that way.D~

They basically did it so we wouldn't need to fly to Colorado and then to Disney. And you're right, we wanted to make sure Charlotte got lots of time with her Daddy. And of course we loved being able to be with all of them since they live so far away. A true win win!:thumbsup2

I am totally stumped on the photo... It kind of looks like a bit of AK to me? But I have a suspicion I am wrong...

Have a great time running errands with Dan today!

D~

Good guess. But wrong. Sorry. I deliberately found things I had never noticed before either. There is just so much to see at Disney. We can never see everything. I'll give a hint later in my report.

Just tell your story Lois. I love to hear the details.

Thanks, Tess, I'll try to do just that.:goodvibes

Um.....I'm going to guess that picture was taken at HS on the studio tour???? Really, I don't have any concrete ideas....:wave2::confused3

Good guess, but not HS. I'll give a hint below.

Lois, love hearing about your trip. The more details and stories the better. It is a trip REPORT and we must know all. :)

Liz!! Hello and welcome!:wave2: Okay, you asked for it! You may be sorry!:rotfl:

No idea where that picture is but if I ever see it around WDW I will definitely think of you.

You know, I had never notice this before either. This is one of the harder ones I took I think. Hint coming below!;)

Taking all the kids to WDW when they are 5 sounds like so much fun. I love Charlotte's outfit. I'm sure your DD and her DH were happy to be in Florida enjoying the warm weather. Getting a 5 year old to Florida from Colorado on her own sounds a bit tricky. I can't believe that you and Dan made it to Florida. When you posted your flight was cancelled and everyone was having such crazy weather I was afraid you guys would never make it.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

Yes, we were so happy they were able to meet us down there. Otherwise, we would have flown to Colorado to pick Charlotte up. And since her Daddy was only on leave for 2 weeks, we didn't want to take tons of time with him away. But this gave him a chance to spend special time with Caroline as well.

Believe me, when it started sleeting while we were waiting to go back to the airport, I thought we'd not get off the ground either! But, it all worked out. And the weather just got worse at home, so we were very blessed. Nothing was taking off from Cleveland, which is the other airport we fly out of.

You're doing great, DIS-ers love details, the more the better!!

Stinks about not knowing your flight was cancelled but glad it all worked out okay! Good thing you got that nice, helpful airline employee!

Thanks for the encouragement Terri! The funny thing about not knowing our flight was cancelled...Dan checked his phone once we got back home and he had had a text or an email informing him of the cancellation. But it was a good thing we didn't know, otherwise we would have waited to go to the airport and might not have gotten on that flight. So, it all worked out perfectly! And, yes, this young lady went above and beyond. I think she would have a great career as a Disney CM!pixiedust:

Day 1 continued

I left us in the lobby of French Quarter. We got checked in and our room was ready. This was around 2PM. We all went to the room, which was in building 2, 3rd floor. Dan and I wanted to change into shorts since the weather was BEAUTIFUL!! In the mid 80s, which for me is just about perfect. Especially considering we just left single digit temps with minus wind chill.::yes::

i didn't take any pics of the room, we were so busy getting caught up with each other and the excitement was almost more than I could stand. I wanted to get to a park, and fast!! But which park? We had planned to start the day at Animal Kingdom, but that was when we expected to be there around 1:00. It would be 3:00 before we got to our first park, and since AK closes at 5, we decided to switch to HS.

So, after visiting a bit and changing clothes, Emily, Josh and Caroline headed back to their hotel, which was a DTD hotel. They took the boat to DTD and walked to their hotel from there. Meanwhile, Charlotte, Dan and I headed for the bus stop. We had about a 15 minute wait, but then, finally we were headed to A PARK!!!!! Yay! Charlotte was excited that there was a poster with the characters from Frozen on the bus. I know I should have a photo of her first bus ride, and Dan did take one of her and I, but there is no way I'm going to post that photo. Do I REALLY look like that??? Oh dear!

We got to HS and I always get so emotional to realize I'm actually there and not just wishing I was there. Now, when it's just Dan and me, we always start and end our trip at the Magic Kingdom. But since we didn't want to do MK for only a half day, we chose HS. We had told Charlotte before we left the hotel that this was her trip, that she would be able to decide what we did, what attractions, basically whatever she wanted to do was what we would do. Since she didn't know anything about HS, we thought starting with the Beauty and the Beast stage show would be good. It was almost time to start, so very little waiting...yay!

Okay, so we're enjoying the show and about 2/3rds of the way through, Charlotte leans into me and says...wait for it..."I want to go home.":scared1::scared1::scared1: Wait, what?? Me: "You mean back to Colorado or back to our hotel?" She said back to the hotel. She wants to play in the playground where she played while waiting for us to arrive. That sound you hear is me deflating.:faint: She said we could finish watching the show, which we did.

Okay, so after telling her she could make all the decisions, we're kinda stuck. Dan and I quickly decided that we could take the long way to the exit since she didn't know anything about the layout, so we headed over where the characters are in Animation Courtyard. There was Jake and Sophia and we pointed them out thinking she would want to see them. All she said was I want to go. Alrighty then. So, we headed toward the exit. :sad:

Now, one thing about Charlotte...she loves to shop. AND she knows Grandma loves to buy things for her. So, she spots one of the stores on the way out and wants to go in. She picked out some pretty cute Minnie ears which we buy for her.

Then she saw a Sophia doll and her little bunny, Clover and wanted those. Now, she had gotten quite a bit of money for her birthday and Emily told me to let her decide what she wanted to spend it on. I tried to talk her out of her choices only because she has so many stuffed dolls and animals already I thought she'd loose interest in those right away. But, those are what she wanted, so we got them, then headed for the exit. We did get one other pic before we left:

We didn't have to wait very long for a bus and were soon back to FQ. Once in the room, I gave Charlotte a little notebook that I had made for her and she played with her new purchases a bit before we headed down to get a bite to eat.

Charlotte had a grilled cheese and Dan had a burger with mushrooms. I wasn't hungry at all, so had some iced tea in my refillable mug. I hated that they were the same ones I have so many of already! While we were sitting there, a CM came up to our table and she gave Charlotte a special Beignet made in the shape of Minnie Mouse. More pixiedust: We didn't eat it as no one was hungry at that point, but you better believe I wrapped that puppy up and saved it for the next day. Here's a picture of it the next day after Charlotte tried an ear:

After a bath and a little dancing to Frozen music, Charlotte wanted to watch a couple of shows on Grandpa's iPad. Thus ends a day full of surprises and odd turns. Next up: where will we go tomorrow?? Will it be a day of playgrounds or will we make it to a park??

*****hint for the photo*******

It is not in one of the parks. Have a great day everyone!!

great googly moogly....two pages already....:lmao:

Okay, so now that I've actually read......I AM SO EXCITED!!! I think we were all worried that you would be super late to a very important date when you posted about your cancelled flight... Yay, for getting a better flight...and credit! Woohoo.

Too bad about having to leave the park so soon....this is my biggest fear. I have spent so long planning our trip and my 4yo will probably just want to hang out at the pool!!! But spending time together is great either way...and after all, it still is Disney, right?

btw....I think you are doing a great job with the TR. You are hilarious to me....I love it!

Bummer on leaving the park! :(

I think you deserve Grandma of the year for that! I would have so forced my kiddos to stay, lol! But how nice you honor what you say to them!

Kids are funny like that, and honestly the parks were overwhelming for me many times so I can just imagine as a child what that's like! We do our best to prep the kids for WDW by watching tons of shows, DVDs, and YouTube videos of the parks, rides and character meets. Then we study the maps and layout together and take time to discuss each attraction so that they are excited to pick out what they want to do, it helps give them some ownership and specific things to look forward to! I know you can't really do that living so far apart from one another though..

But still, that was a travel day so maybe she just needed some time! I hope so!

I do love a girl who loves to shop! So at least she found something she liked!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter