• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there Covid in your circle?

My son (16) tested positive in early dec. He had mild symptoms for a few days. Headache, low grade fever, nothing severe and he is back to normal. No one else in the house tested positive.

No...

A couple of people we know tested positive at a rapid test site, then went for blood test... everyone one came back negative, straight from test sight to Doctors office for blood test......neighbor's and co-workers of DH...

My mom's friend live is a retirement community... she got a positive result at a rapid results testing center... her Daughter took her to get a blood test, next day... and she was negative, waited 48 hours before she got results... Thankfully she was negative... ... When she first tested positive she had to let everyone that she played cards with, Yes they play with Mask it is required when the play in the clubhouse... so they all went to get the rapid test... all positive for covid, so after her DD took her for blood test, she told them, and they all went for blood test... all negative except one guy... and a few days later he had to be taken to hospital for shortness of breath... they tested him for covid again - blood test... and he was negative, but he did have pneumonia... So my question is how did 40+ seniors rapid test all be positive, and with blood test all negative but one... then later find out he has pneumonia...Coincidence? are the rapid test that prone to false positives? or something entirely different?

Not undermining the testing, in no way, we need the testing... just asking some questions.. from what I knew they were pretty much on the money?

Thoughts... ?

So No is my answer ... not anyone we know closely or distantly

Last edited:
Before I went to take my son to get tested I read that the rapid test is only 60% accurate. Which is why i opted for a lab test which took almost 2 days to get the results but I am more confident the result was accurate.

There is no doubt in my mind that the actual positive case numbers that are being reported are inflated and I am confident the folks reporting those numbers know they are wrong. I guess they prefer to err on the side of caution but I am not convinced that reporting inflated numbers doesn't cause more harm than good.

There is very little but the vast majority of my circle is taking it pretty seriously and not attending unnecessary gatherings. I can think of 3 people that definitely had it and two work in healthcare.

No...

A couple of people we know tested positive at a rapid test site, then went for blood test all... everyone one came back negative, straight from test sight to Doctors office for blood test......neighbor's and co-workers of DH...

My mom's friend live is a retirement community... she got a positive result at a rapid results testing center... her Daughter took her to get a blood test, next day... and she was negative, waited 48 hours before she got results... Thankfully she was negative... ... When she first tested positive she had to let everyone that she played cards with, Yes they play with Mask it is required when the play in the clubhouse... so they all went to get the rapid test... all positive for covid, so after her DD took her for blood test, she told them, and they all went for blood test... all negative except one guy... and a few days later he had to be taken to hospital for shortness of breath... they tested him for covid again - blood test... and he was negative, but he did have pneumonia... So my question is how did 40+ seniors rapid test all be positive, and with blood test all negative but one... then later find out he has pneumonia...Coincidence? are the rapid test that prone to false positives? or something entirely different?

Not undermining the testing, in no way, we need the testing... just asking a questions.. from what I knew they were pretty much on the money?

Thoughts... ?

So No is my answer ... not anyone we know closely or distantly
What blood test are you talking about?

My nephew and his wife both had it. He felt pretty bad for awhile. She really wouldn't have known she had it without testing. She did loose her sense of taste.

I have extended family members that have had it and recovered. We also have friends that have had it and recovered. My cousin’s MIL passed away from it, But we have not been socializing and no one in my household has gotten it.

DD tested positive today. They did the rapid test because of her fever and symptoms. Her fiancee and his son were tested but by PCR as they aren't symptomatic. DH and I will be tested (rapid test) on Tuesday. We spent about 8 hours with DD on NYE, 6 hours on New Year's day, and all three of them were here for lunch for several hours yesterday. Today I drove DD to the doctor, and we sat in the car together for over 2 hours, waiting for them to see her. I had my mask on, but... I'm not terribly optimistic.

DD tested positive today. They did the rapid test because of her fever and symptoms. Her fiancee and his son were tested but by PCR as they aren't symptomatic. DH and I will be tested (rapid test) on Tuesday. We spent about 8 hours with DD on NYE, 6 hours on New Year's day, and all three of them were here for lunch for several hours yesterday. Today I drove DD to the doctor, and we sat in the car together for over 2 hours, waiting for them to see her. I had my mask on, but... I'm not terribly optimistic.

I understand not feeling optimistic but it is not definite— my youngest DD (14) tested positive a few weeks ago. I had spent a lot of time with her in close quarters unmasked in the several days before she started showing symptoms. Not only did I test negative, but my older DD’s who were also in the house with her, sharing the same bathroom, kitchen and meals unmasked also tested negative.

I understand not feeling optimistic but it is not definite— my youngest DD (14) tested positive a few weeks ago. I had spent a lot of time with her in close quarters unmasked in the several days before she started showing symptoms. Not only did I test negative, but my older DD’s who were also in the house with her, sharing the same bathroom, kitchen and meals unmasked also tested negative.
So this fascinates me. I’ve heard of quite a few instances where you’d think “oh for sure i will get it” because of close proximity. And then nothing. Just makes you wonder why.

I was with my son constantly while he was in quarantine... I checked on him, checked his fever, made sure he had food and water and occasional aspirin. I never wore a mask and I didn't get it. My last test (negative) test was a week after his positive result. I had no symptoms but was sure I had to have gotten it... Nope

I have it now.

I am a teacher working in a private middle school teaching face to face with masks, distancing, extra cleaning and health screening. I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow. But Saturday I woke up with a headache and some drainage in my throat. By Saturday night, I could tell the headache was due to sinus pressure, and I had a hard time getting warm. I took my temp - 99.1 versus my usual 97.3. This morning my temp was back to normal, but I still had the headache, and the congestion was moving down to my chest. By the evening, I had a rumbly cough, temp was back up. So right now I’m sitting in the Patient First parking lot at 9:30 at night waiting my turn to get a rapid Covid test.

11:00 pm - Just got my rapid results. I’m positive. The PCR results will come in a couple of days. I’m a little scared. Please keep me in your prayers.

So this fascinates me. I’ve heard of quite a few instances where you’d think “oh for sure i will get it” because of close proximity. And then nothing. Just makes you wonder why.
Yes. I find the details of the contacts and who gets it and who does not to be really interesting.

In our case, I believe DD contracted it the evening of Saturday, December 5th. I allowed her to go with a friend and the friend’s older sister (the driver) to Dunkin to get a drink. DD wore a mask, the sisters did not. What I didn’t know until later was that after they picked up DD, they picked up two other kids—friends of the driver, those kids were also not masked. She was gone about 30 minutes total. The following day, Sunday, I drove DD to and from volleyball practice (about 30-40 minutes each way). We were not masked and had windows up and heat on. She was temp checked going into volleyball and wore a mask during practice. I do not recall how much close contact I had with her on Monday. Tuesday was another volleyball day. I remember that she fell asleep after on-line school and was difficult to wake up to go to practice and was cranky during the car ride, but said she felt fine. She would have been temp checked and masked during practice. Wednesday when I got home from work she told me she hadn’t eaten all day and had a headache and the driver of the car was showing symptoms of COVID. Thursday morning she said the headache was worse, her throat was sore and the driver was being tested that morning. I called oldest DD who was working her food service job while home from college and told her to come home, cancelled all my work appointments and scheduled a tele med visit for youngest DD. Right before the visit we found out the driver tested positive and the other 3 kids in the car were also showing symptoms. DD was tested Friday (again in the car with her for about 1 1/2 hours although this time we were both masked), but we did not get her test results until the following Wednesday (the 16th). Both older DD’s and I tested later that day. They had rapid tests that were negative. They also sent their tests out for the longer test which were also negative, but those took a week. I tested Wednesday and got my negative result Thursday morning. All of the kids in the car eventually tested positive except the driver’s sister. She was symptomatic but never tested.

Once we knew that the car driver was positive we wore masks at home except while in our bedrooms and while eating and I stepped up the disinfecting of high touch surfaces a bit. I did try to keep youngest DD confined to her room and served her food in there, although she came out to use the bathroom and get drinks and complain about how bored and lonely she was. 🙄 I am still shocked that I didn’t get it. She was most likely not contagious on Sunday, but I suspect her tiredness on Tuesday was an early sign and I was very close to her unmasked for an extended period of time that day. Luckily her case was very mild, resolved in a few days and as far as I know she did not spread it to anyone else. The only contacts she had outside of the people in our house was her team and she seems certain none of them got it. Spreading it to others was my biggest worry and if we managed to avoid that I will be forever grateful.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope everything turns out well.

My 64 year-old brother tested positive twice over 3 days. He never developed any symptoms. He works at a nursing home. He lives with my mother and sister. Both of them were tested twice and were negative. He is now back at work after a couple of weeks off.

Also, our daughter's roommate tested positive and had cold symptoms that lasted a few days. Both my daughter and another roommate tested negative.

My uncle died of Covid19 last Monday. He was very healthy for 73. Not really my circle as he lives in a different town, but other than age, he had no preexisting conditions and was very fit. Another uncle had covid over Christmas and is in a nursing home now. We did the visiting outside his window thing I've seen in so many pictures.

Over the past month, I've had 9 family members test positive. 8 out of 9 had symptoms. My sister has been battling it at home for 16 days now. My BIL is in intensive care. The doctor told my sister he doesn't think he'll make it. :( My BIL & Sis own a business. They requested people wear masks, but refused to turn away anti-maskers. My poor sis is now regretting that.

Last edited:
I have it now.

I am a teacher working in a private middle school teaching face to face with masks, distancing, extra cleaning and health screening. I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow. But Saturday I woke up with a headache and some drainage in my throat. By Saturday night, I could tell the headache was due to sinus pressure, and I had a hard time getting warm. I took my temp - 99.1 versus my usual 97.3. This morning my temp was back to normal, but I still had the headache, and the congestion was moving down to my chest. By the evening, I had a rumbly cough, temp was back up. So right now I’m sitting in the Patient First parking lot at 9:30 at night waiting my turn to get a rapid Covid test.

11:00 pm - Just got my rapid results. I’m positive. The PCR results will come in a couple of days. I’m a little scared. Please keep me in your prayers.
I wish you a full and fast recovery!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter