Is there Covid in your circle?

In my household and small circle it was just me who got it and I still have no idea how I got sick because I was almost comically careful. My sister has had lots of people in her in-laws' circle get sick, including her MIL, SIL, her niece and her niece's boyfriend. All have recovered. I still get fatigued quite easily, but am starting to walk a bit each day to try and get my strength back up.

My next door neighbor had it VERY early on, a Dad in my DS Boy Scout troop died, and one of his teammates got it about a month ago on a trip to Utah to play LAX. End list, for the entirety. Meanwhile, a guy I played soccer with prior to the shutdown drowned while surfing, and my Dad and 2 of my DWs coworkers died due to Cancer.

Life goes on...

In my household and small circle it was just me who got it and I still have no idea how I got sick because I was almost comically careful. My sister has had lots of people in her in-laws' circle get sick, including her MIL, SIL, her niece and her niece's boyfriend. All have recovered. I still get fatigued quite easily, but am starting to walk a bit each day to try and get my strength back up.
:( I would almost bet money your sister had it asymptomatically and passed it on to you. I remember your posts when you were sick - I'm very happy to hear you're doing OK. :flower3:

My daughter was exposed a week and a half ago. She had a negative rapid test on day 4, but retested a few days later and just got a positive rapid test today, completely asymptomatic. She has a pcr lab test scheduled tomorrow I think, to see which was correct. I am thankful she has no symptoms at all, we will do Christmas next week instead.

She lives alone, so easy to isolate. Very frustrating though, as we all have been so careful all these months.

Nobody in our circle of people who we've spent time with in person. Back in mid-February, DH & I both felt under the weather on and off for about a week and it was a lot of the COVID symptoms that people were talking about on the news in March. Mine eventually turned into a dry cough that came and went and just sort of lingered for about a month. I'm not asthmatic. Friend of mine went through the same thing in January and her dry cough hung around for a month and a half, but we didn't see each other in person.

Never got tested. We're all fine now. Have no plans to get tested since we don't have a need to.

Not in my immediate circle, but my niece had it a few weeks go. She lives about an hour away and is in nursing school. She’s young and healthy and fortunately only had some minor symptoms..fever, dry cough and loss of taste and smell.

:( I would almost bet money your sister had it asymptomatically and passed it on to you. I remember your posts when you were sick - I'm very happy to hear you're doing OK. :flower3:

Nah, this was during the first wave and I hadn't seen my sister in months- it couldn't have been her. If I was to bet, both of my cousins didn't take (and still don't take) the pandemic as seriously as they should. It might have been one of them because I live with them. Neither ever had any symptoms, but they both behave really irresponsibly.

And thanks for your good thoughts. I feel nearly myself, so it comes as a surprise every time I realize that I have to rest before completing some task like carrying a laundry basket up two flights of stairs or if my heart starts skipping beats when I'm just sitting around. My cardiologist has run me through a gamut of tests and my heart is healthy. So she told me it could be a coincidence because some menopausal women get palpitations, too. And I'm starting to run on, so thanks again. :flower3:

I tested positive the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I'm not 100% sure, but I speculate I got it from a coworker I was working on a project with. We were both masked, but I only had a runny nose and I learned he tested positive and thought I should check - sure enough, I was positive. We have now had a total of 5-6 cases in my office, but none seem directly connected unless mine was. The coworker I speculate I got it from was hospitalized for a week and still has lingering fatigue, but is back to work.

Oddly enough, DH and DD both tested negative, twice, while I was in isolation. In fact, DH and I shared a soda the Sunday night before I tested positive, yet remained negative. Such a strange virus! We thought for sure it wouldn't be "if" they got it, but "when"

Also, I am Type 1 Diabetic and overweight, yet I had a very mild case and seems to be an easy recovery. I had a runny nose, mild congestion, eventually lost taste and smell, and the worst was the fatigue. But I've had sinus infections and strep throat that has knocked me off my feet harder. I was extremely shocked given my health history. I am so so thankful.

I have extended family (one aunt, cousin and his wife and 3 year old) who has tested positive but seemed to be fairly mild to slightly moderate cases. No hospitalizations.

And like someone else mentioned, in my broader circle, I've seen many facebook friends or connections who have had it.
My immediate family has been fortunate. Everyone is essential and has worked throughout the pandemic. We exercise caution but live as normally as possible. So far no close contacts or quarantines. We are either lucky or precautions work...maybe both. I expect it to happen at some point although we will be vaccinated soon.
Timing of when everyone caught it and when they were last together.

I misspoke though. My mom did catch it from my grandma. They live together.

For myself and my friends, I caught it in October and none of my friends caught it. I quarantined and didn’t see anyone. 3 weeks later one of my friends and her whole family caught it. It was confirmed her DH caught it from a friend of his. My other friends haven’t had it.

My brother caught it from his boss in September. My aunt got it from her job in November and passed it to her family. My other aunt and her DD just tested positive last week and they believe her DD got it from school and passed it along to mom. Her husband is negative.

My coworker caught it from her son who caught it at school in October. One of the docs I work with caught it from a patient also in october but he wasn’t around the other coworker so they didn’t get it from each other. One coworkers husband got it from his job last week. She has been negative and working from home. Another coworkers husband caught it last week from his job too. Her and her kids have tested negative and she’s working from home too.
pretty good tracing!

My “bubble” is me and my husband- plus all his contacts at school as a teacher. So through him I know literally dozens of teachers and students who have had it (and have gotten us on quarantine before). And yes, some of them absolutely picked it up from school. (Half a gym class doesn’t end up positive by accident.)

Our neighbors also had it over the summer.

Through work: one of my co-workers in my group, plus my supervisor’s supervisor (who has actually had it twice now- once in April, once in November). And those are just the ones I used to see regularly before all this. My employer has had hundreds of cases. And one death.

The above isn’t really surprising- something like 8% of my state has tested positive.

My family (out of this state) is mostly lucky- closest is my husband’s cousin. The rest have been second cousins or whatever.

The “worst” for me personally were really close family friends. They all ended up with it to varying degrees, but one was in the hospital for three weeks. That was terrifying. He’s home now, thankfully.
Do you think teachers should be considered essential workers in the line-up for the vaccine? They seem t be skipping over that populations except in Florida where I've read many districts have sent requests to their governor.

I had a family member die on my side of the family. My husband has a nephew that had a mild case. We have stayed away from all for the most part.

I am an essential worker (well, that's debatable, honestly) and a contractor with his crew came in early December. The last day he was here, he said oh by the way, I tested positive and he was headed to Missouri to do his next job. I wasn't there the day he did the systems training but I watched video playback and that mask was around his chin the whole time. Now I have 3 people in my workgroup that have it. We had to close our business yesterday and it is definitely impacting not only my staff but our community. My assistant was one that got it and she is also a foster parent. Because she tested positive, she lost her foster kids. Just heartbreaking.

ETA: Just heard from another in my group that tested positive. There are only 8 of us, so we'll see how this goes. I am getting tested tomorrow and we moved Christmas back a few days.

Last edited:
Do you think teachers should be considered essential workers in the line-up for the vaccine? They seem t be skipping over that populations except in Florida where I've read many districts have sent requests to their governor.
I think they should absolutely be able to take the vaccine if schools are going to require in-person schooling.

In my husband’s district, there is spread happening in schools, as much as they deny it. They have also had bad runs with flu in the previous years, with multiple days called off each year in February. So it’s not like they’re known for being great at preventing spread of infectious diseases.

And this isn’t to say “give the vaccine to teachers before medical personnel,” it’s “give the vaccine to teachers before the general population.” I’ve read a few comments on social media that think the arguments for teachers getting priority mean teachers should get first priority over all, which isn’t what anyone is saying.

One of my coworkers had it, and recovered. He's 60.
Some people I know believe they may have had it last Winter, but that's unsubstantiated.

WV teachers are on the state's plan in group 1D. The department of ed has already collected the information of how many employees in the state want it.

Just finished quarantine. Third direct exposure since September by a student. Teachers are in the next phase in NY. After a very stressful December, I'm ready for my place in line. I wish they'd keep us full virtual til the end of January or something... I'm just assuming I'll be quarantined again within a week back after New Years. We live our lives expecting someone in the household to be quarantined any day.

Two deaths (including the first person in the US to die of Covid). two friends currently in ICU (one ventilated) and 10+ people who have had it and appear to have fully recovered (including a 6 month old).
These are not just people local to me, but rather, friends and family across the country.

I have 7 siblings and many nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews. 2 of my sisters in law have had it. One works in a hospital and the other in a high school. Neither of my brothers got it. In the one sister in laws family her 2 daughters, son in law and her parents got it. As far as the other family nobody else got it to my knowledge. None of my siblings nor I have had it including the 2 brothers whose wives had it which is kind of surprising since most of us are at risk or even high risk. We have lung issues, obesity, autoimmune issues, cancer survivors, etc. My youngest sister who is a nurse has received her first dose of the vaccine. She is probably the highest risk of all of us due to her job and health issues.

Not in my immediate circle. However, out of state relative has it and is now in hospital. Bowling alley where we bowl has had cases of people but no direct exposure. A false positive for another relative. Hopefully we will continue to stay safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter