is Spring Break madness or is it busy all the time in WDW?

sherilaine

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip for 2020 and are considering coming for 2 weeks across the spring break, meaning we'd take the kids out of school for a few extra days.

This will be our first trip to WDW having mastered DLR over the last 7 years.

I am wondering how much of a mad house spring break is compared to other times of the year? Or is it always pretty busy no matter when you go?

Thanks!

It probably matters more on WHEN your spring break is than anything else.

Up here in the northeast we have a winter break (3rd or 4th week feb) and a spring break (3rd or 4th week april)

Other parts have a break that moves with easter or one tied to passover.

Other parts have a fixed week in march.

I agree with the previous poster. Our Spring Break is the 3rd week of March. Looking at crowd calendars, it looks like the week after we are there is going to be more crowded. But it’s pretty crowded year round these days.

I have heard the crowd calendars for WDW are somewhat accurate so that helps - I am used to them not being worth the webspace they are found on for Disneyland though as it's just a zoo no matter when you go now.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have heard the crowd calendars for WDW are somewhat accurate so that helps - I am used to them not being worth the webspace they are found on for Disneyland though as it's just a zoo no matter when you go now.

Thanks for the feedback.

They're not. They have the same value as you described for DL...they're a waste of webspace. And they're deceptive/misleading anyway.

Also keep in mind all bets are off once GE opens. We just can't predict what the impact will be.

But since people are ALREADY MAKING RO reservations for 2020...

With SWGE opening late fall, I would not expect to see low crowds for quite some time. This will make previous crowd calendars largely irrelevant.

Figure out which time works best for you and come with a plan of attack... including best uses for fastpass, EMH, and any added value events you can afford like DAH or EMM.

Last edited:
Yes, I am asking outside of the SWGE factor - which is an unknown at this point - my guess is that it will be less of an overall impact to the world than the land but that is just my guess, but the land will come first so it will perhaps give some indication. That is also why we'd plan for 2 weeks to be able to have enough rest days between Disney and Universal to recover.

If it helps, I went spring break 2018 (last week of march). The parks were crowded, yes, but the resorts didn't feel so bad. CSR actually felt pretty "empty" and we never had more than a couple other people on the bus with us. Pop was way more crowded with teen groups (including the one I brought with me, ha!), but even the food court and pools never felt too crowded.

Like I said, the parks were busy, though not overwhelming. Resorts, no problems.

At this point, there are very few weeks where WDW is not busy.
However, Spring Break tens to be busier than normal. But it also depends on when your SPring Break is as they vary over about 6 weeks acros the country.
Go into it expecting it to be busy, plan for it, and enjoy it for what it is.

For what it's worth, we went last March for two weeks (the week before and the week of our Spring Break). The first week was MUCH less crowded than the second week. From March 4 - 9, we found the crowds and wait times to be comparable to our previous trips (mid-May and mid-November). The second week of March was definitely busier. It was most noticeable in Magic Kingdom - the other parks didn't seem quite so bad.

With SWGE opening late fall, I would not expect to see low crowds for quite some time. This will make previous crowd calendars largely irrelevant.

Figure out which time works best for you and come with a plan of attack... including best uses for fastpass, EMH, and any added value events you can afford like DAH or EMH.

Good advice although the term "added value" made me smile as I think of them as expensive add-on to avoid the crowds. You didn't need them as much in years past but now, I can't imagine going without them.

Plan in advance.

When is your spring break?

I'm in NJ and it's always the week after Easter. Yes WDW is busy year round but WDW is insane the week before and after Easter.

With a two week trip you will be able to do everything you want to do even if crowds are very heavy.

Last edited:
Here in Georgia we have a fixed spring break on the first full week of April. We must coincide with the masters golf tournament since everyone rents out their house and leaves town.

When is your spring break?

I'm in NJ and it's always the week after Easter. Yes WDW is busy year round but WDW is insane the week before and after Easter.

With a two week trip you will be able to do everything you want to do even if crowds are very heavy.

Right now we are looking at going from March 14-28 - with Easter being 2 weeks after we leave WDW, the weekend of April 10-13.

I am hoping that 2 weeks will certainly make it less stressful - we really want to have down time if we go and not come back needing a vacation from a vacation.

Right now we are looking at going from March 14-28 - and Easter is 2 weeks after we leave, weekend of April 10-13.

I am hoping that 2 weeks will certainly make it less stressful - we really want to have down time if we go and not come back needing a vacation from a vacation.

Honestly I don't think those two weeks will be so bad. Much better than the weeks around Easter. I think you'll be fine. Especially with two weeks!!

I've been several spring breaks and can tell you it can get pretty busy. It seems that many colleges have off either the first or second week in March, so that'll make things busier. And, as mentioned, where Easter lands can have a even bigger impact. The week leading up to and the week after Easter are really busy, especially the week before. And some years when Easter lands in March (it doesn't in 2020), that mid-March period can be really tough.

Honestly, Disney is doing a good job of getting people in there all the time now...there's hardly any letup anymore.

I went on a Spring break trip four years ago. It was the week before Easter/Passover. I found it to be VERY busy, especially EPCOT and HS for some reason. I would make sure to have some sort of plan.

Looking at your dates, I think you will be there before the big rush of guests The weeks before and after Easter are usually more crowded.

I have been during spring break in the weeks attached to Easter. It is busy, but I have also been many other times of the year and thought the crowd levels seemed fairly consistent at ALWAYS busy (besides September and January). Expect tremendous wait times on popular rides without FP+. Be prepared to rope drop or stay till closing to get things done. Overall though, I would go again during spring break. It wasn't that much worse, if any, than when I usually go in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter