Is Premium Economy worth it with Virgin?

Under what circumstances would you get a complimentary upgrade. Is it more likely to be issued to 2 people travelling rather than larger groups, and would children ever get it. The reason I ask is because I will be travelling with Virgin Feb 03 with DH and 2 children, basic economy class, and just wondered if there was even the slightest chance of us being this lucky - things like that don't usually happen to us, usually the people in front or behind. TY

Sam,

You should've got a Platinum "welcome pack". Give Amex a call and ask them to send one or look on their website and that should give you all the information you need.

On the subject of Amex "perks" I used to find them cheaper on accommodation and flights a few years ago, but lately I've been able to find the same flights & accom for less elsewhere. Don't know if I've just been unlucky :(

Lisa

Originally posted by Fantasia Sam
So Boo are you saying to me that Premium Economy isn't as good BA Club. If so I'll just fly BA Club and use my air miles.

In my opinion PE is not as good as BA's Club Class, particularly on routes that BA have converted so that the seats fold down to horizontal beds (have they done this on the Orlando route yet?). Given a choice of Club or PE I'd be in Club every time.

Regards

Rob

Rob

When we went in May the Stewards in Club told us that the Gatwick to Orlando route was one of the last routes to be converted to flat beds! I have to say it meant that there were a few little superficial problems with the cabin which they were obviously just leaving as it didn't seem worth repairing if they were going to be re-furbished. I wonder if BA's results will have any affect on whether or not they still go through with converting this route?

Thanks for your valued opinion on PE versus Club - I think I'm about ready to book.

I've only been in the Club cabin Club when flying on business, so can't help with getting good deals I'm afraid. Paying all that money for a holiday flight is just a distant dream...

Regards

Rob

FantasiaSam

Club World is definitely very different to Premium Economy: the former is business class, the later is economy with more space (like BA's World Traveller Plus):
- PE has 38" seat pitch, CW has at least 50".
- PE has reclining seats, CW has cradle seats or flat (if narrow) beds.
- PE serves economy food, CW serves much better food and wine.
- CW can use a proper business class lounge, PE passengers may ger to use a "servisair" lounge if they are lucky.

PE should be quite a bit better than economy, but is nowhere like business class.

CW is more like Virgin Upper Class: if it was a choice between those two, then I would choose Upper Class (although other people may choose Club World...):
- UC is the highest class on a Virgin Plane (on BA, you have First above you).
- UC doesn't have fully flat beds: most planes are fitted with seats which go flat, but at a slight angle (so you can slip down in your sleep... :-( ). Some people prefer BA because its bed seats go fully flat.
- UC has 2-2-2 seating on a 747, CW has 2-4-2 seating on a 747.
- UC has a freedom menu (order what you want when you want it), BA has a more traditionally set menu served at set times.
- UC has Virgin Clubhouses (very nice).
- Virgin FAs in UC are very friendly and relaxed (although with execllent service), BA can be a bit more formal.

CW or UC is down to personal choice.

Still if your choice is Virgin PE OR BA CW, there is no contest.... go for BA CW - you would be disappointed with PE in comparison to a business class product such as CW (although, as I said earlier, it is still a big improvement on economy...).

Boo

Inflight massages - and inflight bar - only on certain routes (same with "flat" beds): I don't believe that the Orlando flights have the onboard massages (the Miami flights didn't have them last Summer).

Still you could always have a massage/facial/hair cut/leg wax (ouch!)/body wrap etc. in the Virgin Clubhouse, at Gatwick, before you board... :-)

Boo

I haven't flown in BA Club, but I have read, 'seen' and heard (f-i-l regularly flies BA Club and First Class) enough to know that BA Club is far superior to Virgin Premium Economy. The only thing I would say is that you're not comparing like with like. You wouldn't normally expect to pay £1800 for PE. We paid £1100 last July and we're paying £767 for this October. Even Virgin Holidays' prices in its latest brochure are only £350 (round trip) on top of Economy prices. I can't imagine you could hope to get BA Club at prices anywhere near those (although if anyone knows better do let on!).

As Boo Boo Too says, PE is comparable with World Traveller Plus (which isn't available on the Orlando route), and Upper Class with Club.

On the new Virgin 747-400s on the Orlando route, the seats in Upper Class are 2-2 right at the front of the plane, increasing to 2-2-2 in the wider part of the fuselage. No bar, no massage, and the seats are not those shown on Virgin's website. However they are new, electronically operated Recaro seats, with enough space for dh to stand in front of me and talk to me when fully reclined! And with a 1:3 Cabin Crew:Passenger ratio, who needs a bar?!

and some people may argue that the Recaro seats are more comfortable than the new flat (but angled) seats (featured on the website)...

If miles/money are no object, then I would go for CW (or Virgin UC :-)), if not then PE is good. I think that the best prices you can get for CW of Virgin UC are about £1900 per person (or £1700 if you fly into MIA instead) - although if you own a Amex Platinum, you may get a good companion deal (buy one ticket - although that ticket may not be too cheap - companion flies free)... no idea. As Debbie says, PE is quite a lot cheaper. But you mentioned that you could use airmiles for BA CW, so that could be your answer.

Boo

We are flying PE for the first time next April. This may seem like a silly question but should we be dressing a bit more smarter than usual?! As you say, there is always the hope that you could be upgraded to UC and somehow I don't think jogging bottoms will fit the bill! :)

No don't bother dressing up unless you want to, especially on a flight where most people will be travelling to a holiday destination. Choose comfort over style!

I've been upgraded a few times and (with one exception) I was never wearing business clothes, just jeans and t-shirts. In my experience although business-standard clothes are more common in business and first class cabins, it is most certainly not a required dress standard.

Regards

Rob

I agree. In both the PE and UC cabins on the Orlando route I didn't see anyone in anything other than casual clothes. We got upgraded to UC and we were wearing casual clothes.

Originally posted by UKDEB

Mick - PE on the new 747-400s on the Orlando route is upstairs.

I always travel PE, not because I can really afford it, not because I want the extra luxury (great though it is), but because I am disabled and cannot get into the regular economy seats.

I can't climb upstairs either so it looks like I have to find a new carrier, or give up my visits to Disney altogether - and just when I bought into DVC!

Last trip (October 01) they gave my wife & I an upgrade to First Class, because I already had a booking for PE when they changed their aircraft.

I assume they won't accept aa PE booking from me in future if I can't get upstairs (or evacuate in an emergency).

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter