Is Premium Economy worth it with Virgin?

I haven't experienced PE, so excuse me throwing in my 2 cent's worth without having first hand experience!

Personally, I'd go along with Deb's comment that PE is better - it's the 'worth it?' that's the hard bit to quantify. Personally, I'd rather make do with two lots of nine hours in economy and have more money to spend for the14 days in Florida (but then I'm not very tall).

I have happily paid extra for the legroom seats on charters, but the kind of prices quoted for scheduled PE upgrades put it into the 'not worth it' category for me, I'm afraid.

guess i'll just have to wait til i've flown virgin economy in sept and see if i would pay more money to fly in future

Rob,

You have an Amex card don't you. Do you still get access to the VIP lounge as a perk of being a card holder??

Lisa

Well we are going PE in December 2003.(the other two times were economy). It is a long time to wait!

There are 5 of us, 4 adults, 1 child (very well behaved). As we are paying for all the flights it did work out quite a bit more expensive (but I got 10% flying club discount). I am going to try and keep it a secret from the rest of the family. My Mum has a bad hip and it will be much more comfortable for her and I know the rest of us will enjoy it. Also as my parents are getting older this may be their last trip (mind you they said that last time) and they do so much for us that I like to spoil them and of course that means us too!! :p

The only thing is I am worried about flying economy after, once spoilt!

I don't think there is anyway all 5 of us would get upgraded to Upper Class.

It is more affordable now that the price has been reduced and I suppose it will be interesting to see if Virgin put the price up again, if it is too popular!!

Originally posted by lisag1
Rob,

You have an Amex card don't you. Do you still get access to the VIP lounge as a perk of being a card holder??

Lisa

Not that I'm aware of. It's only a basic BA/Amex card so maybe there are perks for Platinum members?

Regards

Rob

Yes, I had an offer from Virgin Flying Club recently for a Platimun Amex card and I got quite excited when I saw that you get free access to airport lounges. Then I noticed the fee for the card! :earseek: (about £250 per year, I think).

Claire - thanks for that. Do you know if it applies only to those booking with Virgin Holidays? We've booked flights only with Virgin Atlantic. We are members of the Flying Club, but not the Frequent Flyers Club. I was intending to book the lounge through ABC Holiday Extras, but maybe I'd better give Virgin a ring.

Hi,
Amex Platinum withdrew the offer of the use of the Virgin lounge this April according to Virgin Atlanic only Upper Class passengers or Flying Club gold members can use their lounge.Frequent Virgin Holiday's card holders can use "a lounge" for a fee but not Virgin's own lounge and only if they are flying as a Virgin Holiday customer.We used the Priority pass Lounge on our last trip and it was very comfortable.
One quick question on the new Virgin fleet is PE upstairs or down??

Mick.

:smooth:

UKDEB,
With regards to PE I was told ANYONE who booked PE had access to the lounge. But it's worth a call to clarify!!

Mickg7wdw,
I think that the seating on the new planes is all upstairs for PE, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Claire :D :D

Thanks Claire - I'll give them a call.

Mick - PE on the new 747-400s on the Orlando route is upstairs.

I don't know about the Orlando route, but I can tell you that there are some PE seats downstairs on the 747-400s that are on the LHR to San Francisco route. Rows 75, 76, 77 are downstairs, immediatley to the right as you get on, ie Upper Class to your left, the stairs upstairs in front of you and then as you turn right to go toward the back of the plane, the first 3 rows are PE. There are just two seats in each row as there is a solid wall on your left as you walk down (or your right if you are on the other side of the plane!!).

Right so where do I by cheaper PE seats on Virgin??

I'm being quoted £1800 on Expedia for a flight in December is that PE ? I'm sure I read somewhere that someone paid less than this?

BA are quoting me £1900 for Club at the same time.

Thanks

Try....

http://www.travelselect.com/cheapflights_v3/ (you will need to do an advanced search to get premium economy and budiness fares), and

http://www.airnet.co.uk/

Also try Virgin Travelstore/Holidays: prices the fly drive in economy and then add the upgrade fee for PE. I think the website is http://www.virgin.com/travelstore/index_cl.html (but am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong) - I think that you can get a discount for booking online.

I normally book my holiday seperately, but it is always worth comparing the prices of booking things independently to booking them as a package...

Good Luck
Boo

(if I the best prices I could get for PE was only £100 less than BA Club, I know what I would go with - Premium Economy is nothing like Business Class)

Thanks for all your comments so far..we've decided to go for it and spoil ourselves! Can anyone tell me more about the lounge that you have access to, is it open for under 12 year olds as well as adults? Is there one at Manchester or just Gatwick?

Has anyone flown from Manchester in the 'club Orlando' seats? Do you know whether PE from Manchester is upstairs or downstairs?

Thanks again!

I thought the PE upgrade was well worth it. I am only 5'10 and economy seats send me round the bend.

On the subject of Lounge access, Amex Centurion cardholders still get clubhouse access.

Rich

Rich,

What is the Amex Centurion Card and how does it differ from Platinum???

Lisa

Isn't the Centurion the black Amex card which is by invitation only? I dread to think what the annual fee is on that one!

Regards

Rob

All the same benefits as Platinum, insurance etc.

Amazing flight offers, but the best thing so far i have found is the concierge service.

i call up with a seemingly impossible rerquest 2 hours later, its sorted. Tickets or tables anywhere etc.

Flight Discounts and upgrades etc

Rich

So Boo are you saying to me that Premium Economy isn't as good BA Club. If so I'll just fly BA Club and use my air miles.

On the subject of Amex Cards - I am a Platinum member was not aware of all the benefits - where can I access a list to find out exactly what the benefits are, does anyone know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter