• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is one Disney Park worth the $$$$

Would it make sense to buy a two-day ticket, and plan another park day after your cruise? Might be a fun way to bookend the trip, and more economical per day than buying single day tickets.
2-day tickets cost almost as much as two 1-day tickets, so there is no significant cost savings there, unfortunately.
For the people who have done this, would you do it again?
We did this after our December Dream cruise last year, and for us it was money poorly spent, because the weather was bad (a bitter cold snap), and one family member was really slow due to a last-minute foot injury, and also didn't tolerate the cold well.

That said, it could be worth doing depending on your circumstances. If everyone is able-bodied & enthusiastic, and the weather tends to be great at the time you're going, then it might be worth it if crowds aren't bad when you're going.

That's a lot of "ifs", if you've noticed. It also doesn't help that you will miss rope-drop, based on your arrival time.

I'd opt for a Disney water park, instead, as they don't open until 10, will be less-crowded than the theme parks in October, and are cheaper, but still wonderful.

Last edited:
I would also vote for a nice resort and fun meal. I would probably eat at Disney Springs. It will still be super magical, but will not be so rushed.

i think its worth it> We did 1 day pre cruise and had a blast. Its a big deal to fly there so why not! Alternatively, the resorts have so much going on. You can resort hop and watch fireworks from Poly beach. You can use magical express if you have a resort reservation -- you dont even need a park ticket for that!

I've done it before and I would do it again. But I don't think I would do it tagged on to an already expensive vacation. We tagged it on to a relativley cheap beach vacation.

We went to Universal Studios for 4 days. On our 4th day (Thanksgiving), my son got up & announced that he'd had enough Universal and needed to ride the Haunted Mansion. We paid almost as much for those 4 one day tickets as we did for our Universal package...and it was worth every cent. It was killing me to be in Orlando and not being able to go to Disney lol.

I'm one of those people who usually does one and only one Disney park on an Orlando trip. That means I am forking over admissions of over $100 per person for a one day experience. I think the parks are world class, well done, lots of fun, and they are worth it to me as a fun splurge if it is in my budget.

I also, though, don't want to do more than one Disney park on a trip typically (although I am doing two next March). That means that discounts which are considerable on per day costs once you do four or more days (Discounts are next to nothing for three days or less and really only start at a ticket for four days or more) just aren't something I ever take advantage of because going to Disney that many days on a single trip or doing an all Disney vacation just isn't something that appeals to me and my family. For those who like that kind of thing a 10 day pass or annual pass if you are doing multiple Disney vacations with multiple days in the park are a much better value per day.

On my next trip to Orlando (main purpose is to attend a family wedding - nephew lives in Orlando and is getting married in his back yard at his home there), I am spending one day at SeaWorld, visiting my cousin in Tampa one day, going to the Magic Kingdom one day $115pp and doing a $99 behind the scenes tour there too, doing one day at Epcot with my 82 year old dad (Flower and Garden festival) just the two of us - again an admission of over $100 for one day, doing a chill out resort day/family visit day, doing a family pre wedding get together at Almonte Springs one day, and attending a wedding the following day. (seven day trip with three theme park days).

The park admissions are a lot of money for a single day. I can't dispute that. Are you they type of person who would spend close to that much for a tour on your cruise at one of your ports? Would you spend that much to go see a special sporting event, concert, or a Broadway show? If yes, I feel a day at a Disney park is a longer and better value than those types of experiences actually. Only you can really answer based on what your family likes / values and your family's vacation budget / economic situation.

Last edited:
My brother didn't want to pay to take his kids to the parks when the family went down for a work convention because it cost too much. My sister-in-law sweetly informed him they could just stay at the pool for 4 days...and he could stay home instead of going to the 4-5 NFL games he attends each season. The kids had a great time at Disney :)

We are taking a RC cruise in October. We can fly into Orlando the day before we leave and arrive at MCO at 8:13 a.m. We would love to spend the day at HS or another park that day and even stay at a Disney resort that night, then arrange for transportation to the Port for Sunday. One day tickets for five people are costly. For the people who have done this, would you do it again? Can you take ME for a one night stay or do you have to book a package of more than one day tickets?
If we had a day or 2 in the area, we'd definitely have to do a Disney day (or more).
In fact most of our winter vacations over the past 10 years or so, involve a cruise and 1-4 days at Disney or Universal or a combo of both.
If we have a short visit window, we sometimes even only do a 1 day ticket with park hoppers and do a "full commando" style day (rope drop until close - actually not as bad as it sounds in Jan/Feb the parks aren't open all that late) . We try to hit at least 3, and sometimes, all 4 parks. I think that was around $170 per person, per ticket when we did it in Feb of this year.
People who say it's too much for one day could be the ones who have the luxury of spending a week or more.
For those of us on a short timeline, 1 day for the family of 5 for $550 is the option we have (or 2 days for $1000, or 3 for $1500, or 4 for $2000)
So do we think it's "worth it"...put me down for a big yes

The pricing structure is setup to encourage longer stays.
1 day to 4 days is basically $100ish per day (1 park each day)
After you have been to all 4 parks, day 5 and on are just repeat visits (hence the much cheaper for each extra day you add after the first 4)

Last summer, we spent the week at Universal instead of WDW. We normally do a split stay if we're doing both, but my older son and I were in WDW a couple of months earlier for a school trip, and although I never get sick of WDW, I figured we could save some money by just staying at Universal for the family trip. Well, I knew I wouldn't be able to stand being so close and not going to WDW, and Pandora opened like the month before and I really wanted to see it, so as luck would have it, my other son's school was having an auction as part of a fundraiser, and I purchased 4 one-day hoppers for a little over $500 (so, I was getting a deal -- but still, it was an extra $500 for one day for 4 people). I think in my case it was worth it because of the hoppers aspect. We went from AK in the early morning to late morning, to MK for most of the day and for the 4th of July fireworks, and then back to AK to see RoL and experience Pandora at night. Granted, that's when they still had that Express Transportation option, so it was very easy to hop.

I think if you spend most of the day at the park and really try to plan your day to get the most out of it, then it's worth it if you really want to.

Are you they type of person who would spend close to that much for a tour on your cruise at one of your ports? Would you spend that much to go see a special sporting event or a Broadway show?

I agree. I know I would (and have) spent more money on concerts I really I want to see and that only lasts for 2-3 hours.

No way. Too rich for my blood! I'm speaking more to value -- I don't feel $115+ or whatever it is now for one day at a Disney park is worth it, especially as we're a family of 5. Besides, there are so many other ways to spend a day in FL that are not only more reasonably priced, but also provide a new and different experience. Sometimes trying something new is the best. Nicer hotel. Extravagant dinner out. Miniature golf. Gator tour. Fun Spot. State park. Sea World. Water park.

I couldn't pass up going to Disney World if I was that close. To save money you could go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon. Those are significantly cheaper than a regular park 1 day ticket. Water parks are so much fun, too!

If we had a day or 2 in the area, we'd definitely have to do a Disney day (or more).
In fact most of our winter vacations over the past 10 years or so, involve a cruise and 1-4 days at Disney or Universal or a combo of both.
If we have a short visit window, we sometimes even only do a 1 day ticket with park hoppers and do a "full commando" style day (rope drop until close - actually not as bad as it sounds in Jan/Feb the parks aren't open all that late) . We try to hit at least 3, and sometimes, all 4 parks. I think that was around $170 per person, per ticket when we did it in Feb of this year.
People who say it's too much for one day could be the ones who have the luxury of spending a week or more.
For those of us on a short timeline, 1 day for the family of 5 for $550 is the option we have (or 2 days for $1000, or 3 for $1500, or 4 for $2000)
So do we think it's "worth it"...put me down for a big yes

The pricing structure is setup to encourage longer stays.
1 day to 4 days is basically $100ish per day (1 park each day)
After you have been to all 4 parks, day 5 and on are just repeat visits (hence the much cheaper for each extra day you add after the first 4)

I actually looked at it in terms of adding onto an already expensive vacation. I am not at all sure I would want to pay for a one day ticket when I could find plenty for my family to do without entering the park that day. And then I looked at teh add on I am considering in December adn tossed my strategy out the door. A dessert party for 7 is going to add up and yet I am on the fence, and if my nieces wanted a party, we would spring for it. I guess it all comes down to a personal preference because value is so subjective.

For me no I wouldn't. It would be cost-driven but also experience driven.

1 day at WDW or USO would never be enough for me personally. I would be constantly thinking about how I only had 1 day, just 1 day for the parks and it would damper my excitement level.

I have always said if going to Orlando it would be for WDW and USO but that is if I'm going there for vacation not just the pit stop for my vacation.

I haven't done the water parks there so I can't speak towards that-that said the tickets would still cost you a pretty penny too so I think it depends on if you're still willing to spend money and it's more about how much money or if you're wanting a less expensive option.

If you're ok with spending some money I do think that getting a Disney resort with the type of amenities you're looking for and then maybe hitting up Disney Springs could work. Maybe you're going for the pool, maybe you're going for the ambience, etc.

We're doing it for a February cruise. The month means that spending the day at a resort or water park isn't a viable alternative. It's just three of us though, and one is under 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter