Is it really ok to laugh at BAWB??

DH and I met Bob at one of the Pod Meets in December. I asked him how he felt about all the ribbing he takes.

I don't remember his exact words, but he basically said that they were all good friends and it was all in fun.

Kathy

P.S. I still stick to my theory that he encourages it so we all feel sorry for him.

In my personal opinion....they do go over the line on occassion, and it comes across as mean-spirited. I have no doubt that they're all good friends but, as we all know, there's usually a "pecking order" amongst any group of people. I'll admit that I'm a newcomer to the podcasts, and have only heard six or seven in total, but some of the comments directed toward Bob are a bit much.

And my support of Bob has nothing to do with the man's name. :)

Believe me, I've met them, and Bob is held in very high esteem by everyone. Bob's playin' ya, Bob.

In my personal opinion....they do go over the line on occassion, and it comes across as mean-spirited. I have no doubt that they're all good friends but, as we all know, there's usually a "pecking order" amongst any group of people. I'll admit that I'm a newcomer to the podcasts, and have only heard six or seven in total, but some of the comments directed toward Bob are a bit much.

I actually thought this a time or two myself when I first starting listening to the DU, but then I realized.

1. Bob is fully capable of speaking up for himself.

2. There is no way that I can make judgements on 10+ year relationships whose interactions I have only "witnessed" (by listening to the podcasts) for a very very very small window of about 12 hours. ( so far :music: )

And I never thought about it, but I'm sure if someone heard the bantering and teasing that go back and forth between my brother and I (we both have a strong tendency toward the snark) they would think some of what they hear goes over the line as well, but we know each other so well we know it's all in fun and we don't cross "the line" even though it sure might appear to others that we do. I think it's the same with the podcast crew.

Bob, Diana and Brian (Bob and Diana's son) enjoyed Easter dinner with my folks, John, myself, my brother, his wife and kids and some other friends.

After dinner....we spent approximately three hours sitting around shooting the breeze and having coffee.

Bob, Diana, John and I had dinner together Saturday night ( near Disney and it was good...but thats another show) with some other friends.

We will spend most of tomorrow recording this weeks podcast.

You're right....we're really not that crazy about him.

Bob, Diana and Brian (Bob and Diana's son) enjoyed Easter dinner with my folks, John, myself, my brother, his wife and kids and some other friends.

After dinner....we spent approximately three hours sitting around shooting the breeze and having coffee.

Bob, Diana, John and I had dinner together Saturday night ( near Disney and it was good...but thats another show) with some other friends.

Nice story...but I heard you discovered Bob gleefully reading this thread and laughing because his plan for sympathy and attention is working so well. And when he admitted to you his plan of going to WDW to look for the ever more elusive chicken strips, you snapped! You tied Bob up, threw him in the trunk of your car and served him Easter dinner left-overs in the basement...only allowing him upstairs albeit tied to his kaht, for the supposed coffee and shooting the breeze session in a sad attempt to improve your image and foil Bob's evil plan in one fell swoop! :laughing:

Hi Folks, I feel it is time to address this thread. It is ok to laugh at BAWB. I am right there laughing as well. I am embarrised that this thread has actually gone this long before I jumped in to comment.

Those that are new to the podcast must understand that when a person brings props into an audio only podcast he is expecting to have comments directed at him. If you wear 20 lbs of beads collected from the Mardi Gras weekend, you have to expect it will bring comments. If you wear a hawaiian flower shirt to the show you are going to attract attention. If you bring in empty Dole Whips to the round table you are going to expect comments. If you highjack a rapid fire you are going to bring comments. The people at the round table are only human. If you hold up an empty Dole whip cup for them after you tell them you brought them one, you are going to get a reaction. If you hold a lightning rod in your hands you are going to get attention.

The people at the Round Table are my best friends. We have fun each week sitting down and just having a conversation. We may kid around but it's all part of the show. I love each and every one of them and having this thread out there is not something I enjoy to see. I really feel bad it is on the boards.

I just want you to know that each week I sit there behind my mike listening to the opening on the show and words can not tell you how happy I am to hear Pete say "with me this week are my close friends Bob Varley, Julie Martin, Corey Martin, Kevin Klose, and John Magi." These people are really true friends and all the kidding is just in fun.

I hope this gives people a better feeling of what goes on in the show.

:thumbsup2 Thanks for your reply :thumbsup2 ---I am sure though, taht this issue will come up again and again in the future, because your teasing banter is just that convincing to your listeners (and perhaps, some of our posts can be equally as convincing to the podcast crew?) :confused3

But, you can count on your regular audience to help assure others that it is truly, truly all in fun and comes from a happy place!!

Now, can we bug you to ask about how you came to need to wear your boot or is that too personal of a question?

You are all great, and we adore you ALL! :cheer2:

The people at the Round Table are my best friends. We have fun each week sitting down and just having a conversation. We may kid around but it's all part of the show. I love each and every one of them and having this thread out there is not something I enjoy to see. I really feel bad it is on the boards.
NOW look what you've done...you've made Bob feel bad!!!! And you get after his friends for this...shame, shame.

Hi happy2go2wdwmom, I will be glad to tell you why I wear the boot. Back in 1997 I broke my ankle and the result is my ankle is very unstable. The doctors wanted to do a fusion of the ankle and that is just not what I wanted. At home I don't require wearing the boot. But when I have to do any conciderable amount of walking I need to reduce how much the ankle joint actually moves.

Walking around at the parks can be very painful. Here is an example: At Universal they have an area that is made up of cobblestones. Walking on them in a sneaker is quite painful because of the unevenness of the road. With the boot it is not so bad. My ankle stays in one place and that is good.

So that is why I wear the boot.

Yeah, I believe that the only reason that you spend so much time with him is to get more material for making fun of him on the show :)

Now that I've listened to the show for awhile, I get the whole Bob thing. You only pick on the ones you love :)

Yeah, I believe that the only reason that you spend so much time with him is to get more material for making fun of him on the show

That is so not true madi100. :mad:

I see them as a family. You can tell how close they are by their comments. Doesn't everyone wish they could be that close to the ones they work with? I am sure they would all drop everything if Bob needed something.

I see them as a family. You can tell how close they are by their comments. Doesn't everyone wish they could be that close to the ones they work with? I am sure they would all drop everything if Bob needed something.

I wish I was as close to some of my family members as they are.

Now I feel bad for making Bawb feel bad. What a vicious circle!!! Honestly it was a light hearted question, that as a newbie to the podcast, I had to ask......so that I could enjoy them to the fullest!

So I apologize for opening up this can of worms again, I promise I meant no harm!!!

And Bawb......I am sorry I made you feel bad. I really was asking with a smile on my face and a giggle in my heart!

(and I am not apologizing so that my dh....who thinks Bawb is a celebrity...doesn't leave me)

Its ok. I just wanted to jump in and set the record straight on this issue. No harm done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter