Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding was that the allowance is from Charles as compensation for Harry's work as a working royal (wardrobe, travel, etc), separate from the trust/inheritance - which I agree would be his money and would have no issue there.

But I defer to the experts on this.

Ok, that makes sense but if Harry is still working, even “part time” as a Royal he should still receive compensation. At least that’s my opinion as a non British citizen. From the outside looking in it seems easy to compromise. Harry is not going to be King, so maybe he should be allowed to pursue other endeavors for his own sake. At the same time he is a Royal and can “work” as one but maybe not as his only job.
They can take some cues from the Kardashian/Jenner clan. They manage to work together and separate 😂

Ok, that makes sense but if Harry is still working, even “part time” as a Royal he should still receive compensation. At least that’s my opinion as a non British citizen. From the outside looking in it seems easy to compromise. Harry is not going to be King, so maybe he should be allowed to pursue other endeavors for his own sake. At the same time he is a Royal and can “work” as one but maybe not as his only job.
They can take some cues from the Kardashian/Jenner clan. They manage to work together and separate 😂
Yes, agree with you on this, and coincidentally just edited my reply echoing your thoughts on even partial compensation.

My understanding was that the allowance is from Charles as compensation for Harry's work as a working royal (wardrobe, travel, etc), separate from the trust/inheritance - which I agree would be his money and would have no issue there.

But I defer to the experts on this.

Edited to clarify: I have no issue with Harry keeping trust/inheritance money, but I think it would be best to decline money previously given to him in compensation for his work in support of the Queen. that or a reduced amount would be reasonable. He will be making way more in the private sector. I think this would be much more of a symbolic gesture that would go a long way.
Do you give money back to employers when you find a different position elsewhere?

Is a formal announcement required for Meghan & Harry to do what they are wanting to do? Again, genuine question, not trying to sound snarky.

My thought is just that if they want to live a simpler life away from the chaos, why make an announcement at all - particularly if the Queen doesn't want an announcement either. With the way things went down, they have invited even more attention and scrutiny. Almost seems like its backfiring on them.

I don't think it is required from "Sussex Royal" instagram .............. but I do think there would be an announcement from the Queen. I think they thought they would have more control over their trademarked name if they did it but it might backfire. If he had truly stood up to her and said; work with us here so we are happy or we'll leave and live in US full time. They would have had upper hand. But doing it how they did and asking for full financial support as they do it ............. yeah, not good.

I wonder about the argument several are making that Harry never felt comfortable in the royal life and Meghan was his ticket out. Did he really need a ticket out? I mean really, he could have broken free on his own before he ever met her. It likely would have been a lot easier to break free as a single man rather than with a wife and child in tow.

From the time he was a teenager he was acting out, getting negative attention and at times an embarrassment to the royal family. He made it clear he didn't want to be proper and royal and I really think each time he hoped they would say "that is it, you are going to college and you'll get a job in the private sector". But until William married and had children there was no way they would let him out of the royal business. William married, started his family and shortly after Harry seemed to get serious about his future. He finally settled down (and just my opinion but to someone he hoped they wouldn't want around ... older, divorced, American, actress let alone bi-racial) and now is the right time. But I do think they had hoped he would want to be part of the family since he had settled down but I don't think he ever did. I wouldn't be surprised if he blames them for his mother's death.

Maybe having his own family made him realize that now was the right time.

The right time was because William had his own family with three heirs and Harry was solidly off the hook. At this point he knew he could physically leave.

Does the allowance come from tax payers or from an existing trust?
I read he has a trust from his mother and inheritance from his great grandmother.
If that is his money then what’s the issue?

Charles pays him out of his income from the Duchy of Cornwall. Last year he paid them a $6.5 million "allowance" so no wonder they want to keep that. That supposedly covered 95% of their expenses which means they spent $6.8 million. They live in an estate for free ... and I'm sure other free perks. They want to keep these. The only thing it sounds like they are giving up is taxpayer funds which covered 5% or was $342,000.

Personally he is worth approx $40 million with money from his Mom, Great Grandmother and some jewels. She is worth $5 million from acting. For most of us that is a huge amount of money but not if you are spending $6.8 million a year. That money will be gone in a flash at that rate. Not sure why the royal family should continue to fund this kind of spending. Especially if they aren't doing their jobs or following the structure which is no outside jobs, no speaking engagements for pay, no product endorsement .... all which seem to be part of their trademarked business.

Do you give money back to employers when you find a different position elsewhere?

No. I would not expect him to return previous years' compensation amounts - I'm not sure where you would be getting that from my posts.

If he wants to step down/away, he should rightfully forgo that allowance going forward.

Charles pays him out of his income from the Duchy of Cornwall. Last year he paid them a $6.5 million "allowance" so no wonder they want to keep that. That supposedly covered 95% of their expenses which means they spent $6.8 million. They live in an estate for free ... and I'm sure other free perks. They want to keep these. The only thing it sounds like they are giving up is taxpayer funds which covered 5% or was $342,000.

Then that sounds like an issue between a father and a son and nobody else.

Then that sounds like an issue between a father and a son and nobody else.

Well ............. all of the funding coming in is ultimately under the Queen. She is the one who designates titles, where they live which determines their monies, she oversees the real estate of who lives where and their leases. It was reported from royal source that her and Charles are discussing this money, and she has told him he can withhold all that money from Harry. So it's between the Queen .. and everyone else. ;)

Harry not working for royal automatically will give up his taxpayer funds, it's up to the royal family if he will also give up the bulk of the funds. I just think it is eye rolling that they say they want to be financially independent but only want to give up 5% of the income they currently get. I would love to quit a job but keep the paycheck and perks.

Well ............. all of the funding coming in is ultimately under the Queen. She is the one who designates titles, where they live which determines their monies, she oversees the real estate of who lives where and their leases. It was reported from royal source that her and Charles are discussing this money, and she has told him he can withhold all that money from Harry. So it's between the Queen .. and everyone else. ;)

Harry not working for royal automatically will give up his taxpayer funds, it's up to the royal family if he will also give up the bulk of the funds. I just think it is eye rolling that they say they want to be financially independent but only want to give up 5% of the income they currently get. I would love to quit a job but keep the paycheck and perks.

As long as he gives up any tax-payer money then any decision that is made is just a family matter and doesn't effect the public.
I thought the quote was "working to be financially independent" ;)
I have no doubt they could be completely independent at this point, I took their point as more that they are still going to be performing some duties until a time when they will no longer and therefore no longer get an allowance for doing so.

I’m not sure the titles are as important as you and some others are implying. In the age of social media, casual observers (like myself) know them first and foremost by their faces and names — Harry and Meghan. I didn’t know/recall that they were Sussex-anything until reading this thread, nor do I have the foggiest clue what other titles they may hold. Funnily, you mention Her Royal Highness as the enormously important one, and I honestly couldn’t have told you if that was a legitimate title given to real human beings or just something six-year-old girls say while playing dress up.

If Harry and Meghan want to build a brand and capitalize on it, they have enough recognition to do so on their names and faces alone. If they were hoping to collect money from someone like me they’d be better off leaving the titles out of it altogether, because once you start throwing Duke of This, Earl of That, Royale with Cheese into the mix, I don’t even know who we’re talking about anymore.

Yes, perhaps you could not have told us that HRH was a real title, but no offense intended, you are probably not a potential donor with $20M to give to a pet cause, who, in return for which, wants to be seen hobnobbing with a genuine HRH. The Crown still has quite a lot of social power, and there are many, many wealthy people who crave proximity to that social power, and are willing to pay to get it. Anyone in the philanthropy business will tell you that the right connections are EVERYTHING.

PS: As for the allowance from the Duchy of Cornwall; that's pure generosity from the Prince of Wales, his to give, and his to taketh away. He is not legally obligated to give a second son one thin cent whilst an elder son is alive. If the Duke "steps back" to a public role at the level of, say, Prince Michael of Kent, then there is precedent that the value of a Grace & Favour residence is considered more than sufficient compensation. At the time the Civil List was done away with, the Exchequer examined the situations of all of the people who had been on it and received Grace & Favour residences. The Kents were deemed to not be pulling their weight, and must now pay rent for their space. Their space is an apartment at Kensington Palace that is smaller than the "too small" cottage that the Sussex family vacated last year. The Kents pay ~$157,000/yr in rent for it. The house in Windsor is worth many, many times that at market rates (though of course it could not be rented on the open market for security reasons, because it is located inside Windsor Home Park.)

Last edited:
Isn’t a lot of Megan’s clothes “gifted” for publicity? Givenchy sends her some outfits for official events. She wears them. Says the name of the designer or the designer is mentioned in the media. Win win? I always thought this is how most of this works.

Yes, perhaps you could not have told us that HRH was a real title, but no offense intended, you are probably not a potential donor with $20M to give to a pet cause, who, in return for which, wants to be seen hobnobbing with a genuine HRH. The Crown still has quite a lot of social power, and there are many, many wealthy people who crave proximity to that social power, and are willing to pay to get it. Anyone in the philanthropy business will tell you that the right connections are EVERYTHING.
Sure, but in fairness, people want to hobnob with Bill Gates, George Clooney, and Beyonce too, regardless of their lack of official titles. The fame is enough.

Sure, but in fairness, people want to hobnob with Bill Gates, George Clooney, and Beyonce too, regardless of their lack of official titles. The fame is enough.

Not always. Those 3 people are all famous because of their own accomplishments, and for the power they have in their fields. Without his connection to the Crown and to his late mother, who is the Duke of Sussex? A good-looking ex-soldier with a pretty wife who used to be a television actress. That may be enough for some people, but it isn't enough for the average major donor prospect. Clooney himself has acknowledged that his wife is usually the bigger draw in philanthropic circles.

Last edited:
Not always. Those 3 people are all famous because of their own accomplishments. Without his connection to the Crown and to his late mother, who is the Duke of Sussex? A good-looking ex-soldier with a pretty wife who used to be a television actress. That may be enough for some people, but it isn't enough for the average major donor prospect. Clooney himself has acknowledged that his wife is usually the bigger draw in philanthropic circles.
Without the crown, he probably wouldn't have the television actress wife. Good-looking ex-soldiers might do well, but not in those circles.

Just a weird question that Harry stepping away made me think of.....what happens if, heaven forbid, tragedy befalls the royal family, and the heir to the throne needs to step up before they are old enough to do so?

Just a weird question that Harry stepping away made me think of.....what happens if, heaven forbid, tragedy befalls the royal family, and the heir to the throne needs to step up before they are old enough to do so?
Good question, and saves me the trouble of quoting, as it was a point I wanted to bring up when talking about Harry being so far away as heir to the throne. These people are targets for assassination. I think it was just last year that a plot was discovered to kill Prince George on his way to school. :( Something could conceivably happen if they are all together somewhere, hence the extreme security. Very unlikely, of course, but you never know. Harry, Meghan and Archie are all targets as well.

I don't think it is required from "Sussex Royal" instagram .............. but I do think there would be an announcement from the Queen. I think they thought they would have more control over their trademarked name if they did it but it might backfire. If he had truly stood up to her and said; work with us here so we are happy or we'll leave and live in US full time. They would have had upper hand. But doing it how they did and asking for full financial support as they do it ............. yeah, not good.

From the time he was a teenager he was acting out, getting negative attention and at times an embarrassment to the royal family. He made it clear he didn't want to be proper and royal and I really think each time he hoped they would say "that is it, you are going to college and you'll get a job in the private sector". But until William married and had children there was no way they would let him out of the royal business. William married, started his family and shortly after Harry seemed to get serious about his future. He finally settled down (and just my opinion but to someone he hoped they wouldn't want around ... older, divorced, American, actress let alone bi-racial) and now is the right time. But I do think they had hoped he would want to be part of the family since he had settled down but I don't think he ever did. I wouldn't be surprised if he blames them for his mother's death.

The right time was because William had his own family with three heirs and Harry was solidly off the hook. At this point he knew he could physically leave.

Meh, I still don't buy it. He could have gotten out before, maybe not as a teenager but during/after his military service. It's not as if there was no one in the line of succession to take his place before William started having children. The monarchy would still have remained with the House of Windsor should it have come to that.

Now, I don't doubt that getting married and having a child of his own put the struggles into sharp focus for him and he became protective of his family. But that, to me at least, is not the same as seeing Meghan as his ticket out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter