Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a weird question that Harry stepping away made me think of.....what happens if, heaven forbid, tragedy befalls the royal family, and the heir to the throne needs to step up before they are old enough to do so?

There would be a regency. So should, heaven forbid, the Queen, Charles, and William all pass away while George is still a child he would still be king but wouldn't really have any actual power (such as it is) or many responsibilities until he reached the age of majority or whatever. Those duties would be performed by someone designated by courtiers or the crown, in that case it would very likely be Harry or maybe Edward if he was still around.

Ok, that makes sense but if Harry is still working, even “part time” as a Royal he should still receive compensation. At least that’s my opinion as a non British citizen. From the outside looking in it seems easy to compromise. Harry is not going to be King, so maybe he should be allowed to pursue other endeavors for his own sake. At the same time he is a Royal and can “work” as one but maybe not as his only job.
They can take some cues from the Kardashian/Jenner clan. They manage to work together and separate 😂

Yeah, they could just get their own Reality TV show....they'd be fine! ;)

The Queen knew and encouraged them to wait to make the announcement. I'm glad they defied her.
Why may I ask? Do you not believe in respect? She is basically the CEO, the boss. When normal people quit a high profile job things are planned in a mature, respectful manner that leads to a calm transition. These two are like inexperienced teenagers giving the middle finger. My gut feeling is they also just shot themselves in the foot for their main customer group, the brits. The US will most likely open them with open arms, as they do the kardashians.

n
Isn’t a lot of Megan’s clothes “gifted” for publicity? Givenchy sends her some outfits for official events. She wears them. Says the name of the designer or the designer is mentioned in the media. Win win? I always thought this is how most of this works.
from my understanding with royals that is not how it works. They have their fav designers but it‘s not like the Oscars where A listers get clothing. From my understanding they never take free stuff too. Many designers were shocked to find for example Kate wearing their dress and they had no warning.

Good question, and saves me the trouble of quoting, as it was a point I wanted to bring up when talking about Harry being so far away as heir to the throne. These people are targets for assassination. I think it was just last year that a plot was discovered to kill Prince George on his way to school. :( Something could conceivably happen if they are all together somewhere, hence the extreme security. Very unlikely, of course, but you never know. Harry, Meghan and Archie are all targets as well.
Or even just a plane crash with the whole William/Kate family aboard. Not trying to be morbid, just pointing out that it’s not completely implausible that Harry could still find himself next in line.

Or even just a plane crash with the whole William/Kate family aboard. Not trying to be morbid, just pointing out that it’s not completely implausible that Harry could still find himself next in line.

I saw that movie a long time ago ;)
King-Ralph-1991-Movie-Poster-720x340.jpg

Good question, and saves me the trouble of quoting, as it was a point I wanted to bring up when talking about Harry being so far away as heir to the throne. These people are targets for assassination. I think it was just last year that a plot was discovered to kill Prince George on his way to school. :( Something could conceivably happen if they are all together somewhere, hence the extreme security. Very unlikely, of course, but you never know. Harry, Meghan and Archie are all targets as well.

And no one knows this better than Prince Philip, though accidents and kidnap attempts are actually more of a hazard than assassinations. In 1937, when he was 16 years old, his sister Cecilie, the wife of the head of the German house of Hesse, was killed in a plane crash, along with her husband, mother-in-law and 3 sons. Her toddler daughter survived the crash, but died of meningitis less than 2 years later. The entire family was wiped out except the duke's younger brother (whose wedding they were en route to attend); his marriage was childless, and he had to adopt a distant cousin to continue the line of succession. (The crash that killed Cecilie was a horrible story; she was pregnant at the time and apparently went into premature labor on the flight, causing the pilot to attempt an emergency landing. The landing gear clipped a chimney on the way into a small Belgian airfield and the plane cartwheeled into the ground. They found the baby in the wreckage. Worse is that some people say the family deserved it for joining the Nazi party.; my personal feeling is that unless you are speaking of Hitler himself, no one actually deserves to die such a horrible death.)

Seventh is not all that far down the line if everyone ahead of you is part of the same nuclear family that usually are in the same place at the same time. The family actually has a rule that no two heirs are supposed to travel together, but this rule is often ignored now that travel technology has improved so much. It probably should not be; the best engines and pilots on the planet wouldn't protect them from a terrorist attack.

Well ............. all of the funding coming in is ultimately under the Queen. She is the one who designates titles, where they live which determines their monies, she oversees the real estate of who lives where and their leases. It was reported from royal source that her and Charles are discussing this money, and she has told him he can withhold all that money from Harry. So it's between the Queen .. and everyone else. ;)

Harry not working for royal automatically will give up his taxpayer funds, it's up to the royal family if he will also give up the bulk of the funds. I just think it is eye rolling that they say they want to be financially independent but only want to give up 5% of the income they currently get. I would love to quit a job but keep the paycheck and perks.
she and Charles not her and Charles

Sorry, but I couldn’t resist as your post was so otherwise intelligent.

I was just watching NBC, and the British correspondent Keir Simmons said there was a leak about HM moving to Canada. So was Harry trying to get in front of the leak? I wonder how much he'd tried to broach this whole topic with the Queen? I know everyone is saying she was broadsided by the news. But, would she have ever been amenable to HM moving away from royal duties?

On the one hand, I feel like good for HM. On the other hand, whatever one family member doesn't do, another has to pick up the slack. Regardless, I feel bad for the Queen. Even in her 90's she can't get a break from the craziness.

No. I would not expect him to return previous years' compensation amounts - I'm not sure where you would be getting that from my posts.

If he wants to step down/away, he should rightfully forgo that allowance going forward.
My apologies, I misread your comment. I see what you are saying now.

And no one knows this better than Prince Philip, though accidents and kidnap attempts are actually more of a hazard than assassinations. In 1937, when he was 16 years old, his sister Cecilie, the wife of the head of the German house of Hesse, was killed in a plane crash, along with her husband, mother-in-law and 3 sons. Her toddler daughter survived the crash, but died of meningitis less than 2 years later. The entire family was wiped out except the duke's younger brother (whose wedding they were en route to attend); his marriage was childless, and he had to adopt a distant cousin to continue the line of succession. (The crash that killed Cecilie was a horrible story; she was pregnant at the time and apparently went into premature labor on the flight, causing the pilot to attempt an emergency landing. The landing gear clipped a chimney on the way into a small Belgian airfield and the plane cartwheeled into the ground. They found the baby in the wreckage. Worse is that some people say the family deserved it for joining the Nazi party.; my personal feeling is that unless you are speaking of Hitler himself, no one actually deserves to die such a horrible death.)

Seventh is not all that far down the line if everyone ahead of you is part of the same nuclear family that usually are in the same place at the same time. The family actually has a rule that no two heirs are supposed to travel together, but this rule is often ignored now that travel technology has improved so much. It probably should not be; the best engines and pilots on the planet wouldn't protect them from a terrorist attack.
Princess Anne was victim of an attempted kidnapping almost 46 years ago, when she was 23.

Just a weird question that Harry stepping away made me think of.....what happens if, heaven forbid, tragedy befalls the royal family, and the heir to the throne needs to step up before they are old enough to do so?

If that happens, then Harry steps up or passes it on to whoever is next. Zara Phillips doesn't have title and is not a working royal, but she is line to the throne too.

I have no problem with having some of Harry and Meghans security funded either. That simply needs to be done whether they are working royals or not because they are targets. Saying security only comes if he's a working royal is like holding him hostage.

I really don't understand this. Charles has talked about a slimmed down monarchy, many British citizens hate that their tax dollars fund the royal family, horrible things were written about Megen basically telling her to "go away". They ARE going away and now those same people are saying "where do you think you're going?".

Last edited:
My apologies, I misread your comment. I see what you are saying now.
Ah no problem! I write in haste sometimes, so thank you for allowing me to clarify in case others also misread. :)

I don’t follow the royal family at all, but I do know it would be exceptionally hard to be compared to Kate. She seems flawless and very comfortable in her role. Megan will forever be in her shadow.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but William and Kate seem to handle their family and royal responsibilities well. And they have three kids and likely more responsibility, being directly in line for the throne. Ever since Harry and Meghan got married, I have heard news stories periodically that Meghan wasn't taking the notoriety and criticism well. Its certainly not for everyone. It sounds like she may be missing her old lifestyle, with her wanting to get back into acting. I'm wondering if the differences are that Kate knew exactly what she was getting into, being from England and understanding what the royal family was about. Meghan probably thought she knew, but likely had no idea. And her criticism in the press was likely heightened with her being American. I feel for her because its a tough road to walk down, but by the same token, it also comes with the territory.

The British press has been relentless in their harassment of Meghan. We don't see it here in the US, but it is appalling to see some of the things that they say. Here is one, little difference in the way they treat her compared to Kate.
I think that 99% of the people have no idea how demanding that life is. To sit and say "she should have known" is stupid, how could she. It is like telling a new parent that kids are hard, there is no way to explain and understand until it is actually happening to you. Some of the ridiculous rules and expectations that the Queen has put on her family go too far. For example, no one in the royal family is allowed to eat onions or garlic, ever. Either cooked or raw because the Queen does not want anyone to have bad breath. And if they are at a meal, you are done eating as soon as the queen is, including the children. Still hungry? too bad. And having the new moms get dressed up and in heals hours after giving birth to show the public their baby is beyond words. Of course they have responsibilities that they have to follow but I think that those should mostly fall to Harry. If new Mom Meghan wants to stay home with her baby and cut back on royal duties until the child/children are older, then what is the issue? Harry handled all of these without her before. There are obviously things going on that none of us know about for them to take this extreme action. I don't know how people can be so critical when they have no insight into their personal life.

The British press has been relentless in their harassment of Meghan. We don't see it here in the US, but it is appalling to see some of the things that they say. Here is one, little difference in the way they treat her compared to Kate.
I think that 99% of the people have no idea how demanding that life is. To sit and say "she should have known" is stupid, how could she. It is like telling a new parent that kids are hard, there is no way to explain and understand until it is actually happening to you. Some of the ridiculous rules and expectations that the Queen has put on her family go too far. For example, no one in the royal family is allowed to eat onions or garlic, ever. Either cooked or raw because the Queen does not want anyone to have bad breath. And if they are at a meal, you are done eating as soon as the queen is, including the children. Still hungry? too bad. And having the new moms get dressed up and in heals hours after giving birth to show the public their baby is beyond words. Of course they have responsibilities that they have to follow but I think that those should mostly fall to Harry. If new Mom Meghan wants to stay home with her baby and cut back on royal duties until the child/children are older, then what is the issue? Harry handled all of these without her before. There are obviously things going on that none of us know about for them to take this extreme action. I don't know how people can be so critical when they have no insight into their personal life.
I would take their demanding life over a single mother working at a minimum wage job. And it's not "stupid" to say she should have known, because, she should have known.

Had to LOL at ABC Network News calling this "a crisis" earlier tonight. Liz wants Chucky, Wills, and Harry to come up with a "workable solution" pronto. Oh em gee, Britain is going to collapse otherwise!!!

Is it really true that the queen has custody of any heirs? That is beyond screwed up if true. Get out Harry & Meghan while you can!!!!!!

If they still “work” in some capacity then they should get compensated. And who cares if they go off on their own and profit from their titles. He is a prince, he was born that way.

This is actually true. The Queen has "legal" custody of any children born in the Monarchy. She has never used this, but if she wanted to, she could take Archie away from them and have him live with her legally.

I would take their demanding life over a single mother working at a minimum wage job. And it's not "stupid" to say she should have known, because, she should have known.

No one really knows what it will be like until you actually live it. Do you think that she or Harry thought that the press would be so relentless in their hatred for her? Your response sounds like it comes from a jealousy angle. They are rich so they don't have any feelings and deserve to be treated that way? You don't know what kind of life they lead. I would not want that life, it is not your own. Maybe you are too young to remember what it was like for Fergie. I recommend you go and listen to her talk about what it was like for her. She married Andrew and she was under constant criticism. She could do no right according to the royal family and the press. She purchase the clothes that they expected her to wear to be up to royal "standards" and got into debt of millions of dollars that the royal family foisted on her when she divorced. They treat people that they hate abhorrently. It comes down to us not really knowing what it is like to live like that. I am not going to condemn them for doing what they think is best for themselves and their child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter