Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s interesting how Mr. Markle is the villain here while H&M’s stars continue to shine. ⭐

Latest word is that the two international celebrities will now be starting their own production company (the way some of their high powered friends have). They must have some pretty good people advising them, though Beyonce and Jay Z seemed a little shocked seeing Harry and Megan “pitch” themselves (Meghan’s words) to the Lion King director at the movie’s premiere. 😳 (Video at end of article.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...arry-Meghan-Markle-asking-voiceover-work.html

::yes::

Say what? Mr. Markle opened his mouth and trashes his daughter...yes, that does make him unsavory. H&M want to work for their own money rather than get paid by public to show up, smile pretty and go home - yet people scoff?

He obviously did think about it first and will be making money off his name (which I see no issue with). Seems like the Queen is ok with it too. It's the random folks on this thread and in the world that think it's a disgrace.

I think he's too much of a liability in the military. Didn't he have to be pulled from missions due to security risks? Either way the military pay would never cover his security. Can he even reenlist at his age now?

He was pulled from a tour to Afghanistan. He did serve the two tours in Iraq and they figured out a way that he wasn’t a liability. I don’t remember all the details but I know his job was in a helicopter.

Some military jobs give people great experience for civilian jobs.

Say what? Mr. Markle opened his mouth and trashes his daughter...yes, that does make him unsavory. H&M want to work for their own money rather than get paid by public to show up, smile pretty and go home - yet people scoff?

To be fair, it seems that at the very same time H&M want to disavow being officially subject to royal rules they also were taking steps to generate their independent income under the royal umbrella of their titles. Hence the very sudden creation of the Sussex Royal social media presence and the trademarking applications. This was probably a big sticking point regarding what was possible regarding the potential of them serving part-time in their royal roles. It may very well be that they would have absolutely been granted the ability to keep the titles, serve a part-time assortment of royal appearances and have the ability to reside elsewhere and pursue their own financial endeavors the rest of the time. The RF realizes why reducing the whole thing to simply a brand isn't sustainable.

Harry (& possibly Meghan) seem intent on everything being on their terms and in their timing. Harry should have the sense God gave a goose to understand that's not how it works. IMO he's either dealing with emotional issues that have bubbled up with marriage and fatherhood or he thought his very special status with the People as the youngest son of the People's Princess entitles him to break the rules as he sees fit. It's possible Meghan's ideas and demands factor into how things have gone, but since she's an outsider to the whole system and only been on the scene a couple of years that's hard to tell. Harry is the one who's grown up in this system and has emotional ties to the family, the country and its People, so he clearly knows it all doesn't bend simply because he or anyone else wants it to.

He was pulled from a tour to Afghanistan. He did serve the two tours in Iraq and they figured out a way that he wasn’t a liability. I don’t remember all the details but I know his job was in a helicopter.

Some military jobs give people great experience for civilian jobs.

He was actually not allowed to be deployed to Iraq over safety concerns (he's a high value target and his presence would put everyone he was with at higher risk). He did two tours in Afghanistan after that.

He obviously did think about it first and will be making money off his name (which I see no issue with). Seems like the Queen is ok with it too. It's the random folks on this thread and in the world that think it's a disgrace.

I think he's too much of a liability in the military. Didn't he have to be pulled from missions due to security risks? Either way the military pay would never cover his security. Can he even reenlist at his age now?

I don't think they have a problem with him making money off his name. I think the problem comes in when he specifically uses Royal as a part of it, because it suits his agenda. I believe that's the either or that is the sticking point. IMO he knew that and made the preemptive move with the Sussex Royal social media and trademarking moves. He seems to think he can get away with doing it his way if he forges ahead and asks permission later, thinking it will be a foregone conclusion if he forces the Queen's hand.

The military stuff that he's pulling out of now isn't really so much about his active duty service, it's regarding the ceremonial command titles he inherited from Philip. As far as the security issue when he was serving in Afghanistan a large part of the problem stemmed from the fact he was a huge target once his presence became publicly known, something that also put a huge target on everyone serving around him.

He was supposed to be deployed to Iraq, but threats were made against him, so they stationed him in Afghanistan, instead. He wasn't there very long before some idiot made his location public, so he had to be pulled out of there again. After that, he trained to become a helicopter pilot and flew missions over Afghanistan.

He was actually not allowed to be deployed to Iraq over safety concerns (he's a high value target and his presence would put everyone he was with at higher risk). He did two tours in Afghanistan after that.

Oops. Got it backward.

Mr. Markle has been made out to be a bad guy and humiliated for the past year and a half. I’m surprised it took him this long to finally speak out (and he allowed the letter from Meghan to be published in defense of himself when Meghan had her friends lie to People Magazine). Everything I’ve read about him is that he’s a nice guy. YMMV

The rest, well, we’ll probably be seeing them more, or more intensely, than ever, given that they’ll be “in the business”, somewhat dependent on publicity, and no doubt part of the celebrity crowd. It seems a little disingenuous in people who supposedly wanted to get out of the spotlight and blamed the media for their profound unhappiness. But you and others are right, they need to make money. A lot of it. And that’s one way to do it. Plus, it’s what Meghan knows, and probably missed. It will be a bitter pill for many in the UK to swallow, but more power to them.

I think Meghan thought she'd be able to handle the status of being part of the Royal family. But, I was surprised by the type of reaction she got as opposed to Kate did. I kinda thought that they were more progressive across the pond, but it really seems that looked down on Meghan for being American, divorced and bi-racial.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal
And with the media being responsible for Diana's death, I can see this whole thing being the final straw for Harry. Maybe, this just gave him a reason to get away or least take a step back from the circus.

It’s interesting how Mr. Markle is the villain here while H&M’s stars continue to shine. ⭐
I personally couldn’t care if their stars continue to shine, fizzle, explode into a supernova, or implode into a black hole. I see two people who want a career change and a new house, and I don’t quite understand why that would generate so much outrage. They want to live their own lives, let them. One part of this story that does seems outlandish to me, however, is that anyone could view Meghan’s paternal relatives as the pitiful, downtrodden, sympathetic characters in this situation. One doesn’t have to side with Meghan to see what a mess her family is.

Thomas Markle Sr. (Father)
  • Has trashed her in the press every chance he gets. Seriously, this guy just never shuts up.
  • Staged and sold pictures to the paparazzi.
  • Waffled back and forth about whether he would attend her wedding in the days prior, ultimately backing out at the last minute due to a heart attack.
  • The heart attack story may be fake.
  • Leaked her private letters to the media.
  • Has said in an interview “I’m enjoying the fact I can make the entire Royal Family not speak” and says he has no plans to stop talking about her/them.
  • Plans to testify against her in court.
Samantha Markle (Half-sister)
  • Changed her name back to Markle after Meghan’s engagement.
  • Has three children, is estranged from them all. Also estranged from her mother, brother, and half-sister Meghan (for over a decade).
  • Trashes Meghan in the press.
  • Is writing a book titled The Diary of Princess Pushy’s Sister
  • Lied about being injured in a car crash while trying to evade the paparazzi. Police say the incident never happened.
  • Spends so much time hate-tweeting that, in one year alone, she landed herself on the Fixed Threat Assessment Centre’s watch list, had her twitter account suspended, and was investigated by police for cyberbullying.
Thomas Markle Jr. (Half-brother)
  • Was also estranged from his father until recently.
  • Reported to be an alcoholic.
  • Arrested for DUI.
  • Multiple arrests for assault.
  • Involved in multiple domestic violence incidents including one where he held a gun to his girlfriend’s head.
  • Sent Harry a letter asking him to call off the wedding.
  • Has repeatedly trashed Meghan in the press.

Tyler Dooley (Nephew)
  • Co-owns a cannabis business selling “Markle Sparkle.”
  • Tried to capitalize on his royal connection by appearing on a reality show.
This family is an absolute train wreck. There’s video of Meghan, 18 years old, saying she and her father weren’t “on the best of terms,” so this is not a new situation caused by her sudden rise to fame. She’s been dealing with this her entire life. Meghan has every right to step away from this chaos and I would argue she has a moral imperative to keep her child away from those toxic people. How anyone can fault Meghan for trying to get away from this dysfunction is beyond me. :confused:

I think Meghan thought she'd be able to handle the status of being part of the Royal family. But, I was surprised by the type of reaction she got as opposed to Kate did. I kinda thought that they were more progressive across the pond, but it really seems that looked down on Meghan for being American, divorced and bi-racial.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal
And with the media being responsible for Diana's death, I can see this whole thing being the final straw for Harry. Maybe, this just gave him a reason to get away or least take a step back from the circus.
Thanks for posting that. I had been looking for it but couldn't remember what website it was from and I was coming up empty with google.

Yeah the thing that is not hard to see is the difference in how each has been treated at least the severity of it.

TBH I don't know how much of it is because she's American, divorced or bi-racial and how much of it has to do with just not being the traditional person she was expected to be and it's gotta be worse having Catherine right there for an easy comparison remindes me a lot of having siblings where one is always compared to the other. Fall in line or we won't like you. Clearly she rubs some people the wrong way and it may be more from that reason.

Yeah the thing that is not hard to see is the difference in how each has been treated at least the severity of it.

TBH I don't know how much of it is because she's American, divorced or bi-racial and how much of it has to do with just not being the traditional person she was expected to be and it's gotta be worse having Catherine right there for an easy comparison remindes me a lot of having siblings where one is always compared to the other. Fall in line or we won't like you. Clearly she rubs some people the wrong way and it may be more from that reason.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/meghan-markle-prince-harry-royals-racism_n_5e174a0cc5b6b32c72bf01b2
In 2016, Rachel Johnson, sister of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, grossly referred to Meghan, who was dating Harry at the time, as having “some rich and exotic DNA” in a column for the Daily Mail charging that the now-duchess was not “wife material.”

Rachel Johnson later labeled Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, “a dreadlocked African-American lady from the wrong side of the tracks who lives in LA.”

The Mail published an article that month suggesting that Los Angeles-born Meghan was “straight outta Compton,” in reference to a song by the ’80s hip-hop group N.W.A.

The publication noted in another article the month prior that Meghan, though “stunningly beautiful,” was not “the society blonde style of previous girlfriends” of Harry.

I'm not one to automatically jump to conclusions and I'm sure these people don't mean "that way" and it's just a misinterpretation but it doesn't mean it's any less apparent.

I actually think Meghan's mother has been the height of class by never saying anything to embarrass herself or Meghan.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/meghan-markle-prince-harry-royals-racism_n_5e174a0cc5b6b32c72bf01b2
I'm not one to automatically jump to conclusions and I'm sure these people don't mean "that way" and it's just a misinterpretation but it doesn't mean it's any less apparent.

I actually think Meghan's mother has been the height of class but never says anything to embarrass herself or Meghan.
I'm not doubting that some people see her ethnicity and race an issue. I've never said otherwise nor was my comment saying that :confused3

I havent seen this posted yet. Last night in UK, Prince Harry attended a function for AIDS and HIV charity Sentebal. He gave a speech about the recent events. This is the full transcript

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/20/uk/transcript-prince-harry-speech-intl-gbr/index.html
"Good evening, and thank you for being here for Sentebale, a charity me and Prince Seeiso created back in 2006 to honor my mother's legacy in supporting those effected by HIV and AIDS.

"Before I begin, I must say that I can only imagine what you may have heard or perhaps read over the last few weeks...
"So, I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share -- not as a Prince, or a Duke, but as Harry, the same person that many of you have watched grow up over the last 35 years -- but with a clearer perspective.

"The UK is my home and a place that I love. That will never change.
"I have grown up feeling support from so many of you, and I watched as you welcomed Meghan with open arms as you saw me find the love and happiness that I had hoped for all my life. Finally, the second son of Diana got hitched, hurray!

"I also know you've come to know me well enough over all these years to trust that the woman I chose as my wife upholds the same values as I do. And she does, and she's the same woman I fell in love with.

"We both do everything we can to fly the flag and carry out our roles for this country with pride. Once Meghan and I were married, we were excited, we were hopeful, and we were here to serve.

"For those reasons, it brings me great sadness that it has come to this.
"The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly. It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven't always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.

"What I want to make clear is we're not walking away, and we certainly aren't walking away from you. Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible.

"I've accepted this, knowing that it doesn't change who I am or how committed I am. But I hope that helps you understand what it had to come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.

"I was born into this life, and it is a great honor to serve my country and the Queen.
"When I lost my mum 23 years ago, you took me under your wing.
"You've looked out for me for so long, but the media is a powerful force, and my hope is one day our collective support for each other can be more powerful because this is so much bigger than just us.

"It has been our privilege to serve you, and we will continue to lead a life of service.
"It has also been a privilege to meet so many of you, and to feel your excitement for our son Archie, who saw snow for the first time the other day and thought it was bloody brilliant!

"I will always have the utmost respect for my grandmother, my commander-in-chief, and I am incredibly grateful to her and the rest of my family, for the support they have shown Meghan and I over the last few months.
"I will continue to be the same man who holds his country dear and dedicates his life to supporting the causes, charities and military communities that are so important to me.
"
Together, you have given me an education about living. And this role has taught me more about what is right and just than I could have ever imagined. We are taking a leap of faith - thank you for giving me the courage to take this next step.

"So ... welcome to Richard's garden -- minus the fountain!
"First, may I echo Johnny's words earlier and thank in particular Patricia and Richard, and all the teams involved in making tonight so very special and such a success... at least so far...

"Thank you also for turning up!
"I'm sure Lewis was the draw factor, but I know you will all be leaving tonight with a better understanding about what we're trying to achieve at Sentebale, and that's what really matters to us.

"I first visited Lesotho many years ago, back in 2004, and was shown around by my dear friend Prince Seeiso -- who sadly isn't able to join us this evening.

"Struck by the hardship and challenges so many children faced, and with the support of local partners, we set up Sentebale two years later. The word Sentebale means "forget me not" in Sesotho and also serves as a memory of both Prince Seeiso's mother as well as my own.

"Since the beginning, we've developed a series of programs and created the purpose built Mamahato centre to help a generation of children break through the stigma that is allowing the HIV epidemic to thrive. Half of those children had lost either one or both of their parents to the virus.

"But today through our networks of clubs, camps and programs across both Lesotho and Botswana, we help children and young adults to learn that they can go on to live happy and productive lives, despite being HIV positive.

"We teach them that this human immunodeficiency virus doesn't have to be a death sentence for anyone anymore, that the real enemy we are fighting is stigma, and the antiquated attitudes that work against young people coming forward when wanting to take an HIV test.

"This is relevant in every part of the world today, including here in the UK, where there are an estimated 110,000 people living with HIV.

"Here, I can't not mention my dear friend Gareth Thomas -- who in my mind -- has quite literally changed the way people think about HIV -- so thank you bud.

"By being here tonight, every one of you are helping to fight that stigma and helping a generation of children and young adults to becoming the generation that ends it.

"My work and commitment for this charity, that I founded 14 years ago now, will never falter.

"I and all those at Sentebale, be it here in London, Lesotho or Botswana -- will continue the work to make real long-lasting impact for all those that have been left vulnerable.

"There's a lot to do, but it's only possible by working together and receiving support from people like yourselves... and like Lewis Capaldi... who has so generously flown here directly from Malaysia, via Dubai -- taking tonight out as a detour on his way to the Grammys in Los Angeles -- where he is nominated for best song.

"Lewis, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to be with us this evening. We are all incredibly grateful.

My point was Prince Charles profits off his position and name for charity, but it seems to be a problem for some when Prince Harry and Meghan do the same.

Charles profits from the Duchy as he is a working member of the Royal Family. If he decided to pack it in, do a deal with Netflix, do an interview with Oprah and tap up Bob Iger for voiceovers, he’d have to give it up.

An article I read pointed out that the Duke and Duchess did not really get what they want. They originally suggested a hybrid arrangement: "part-time working royals." However, it sounds like that option was not acceptable to the monarchy. It sounds like the Sussexes' options were either to be full-time royals or non-working royals.

So, clearly, he did have choices... however, I think he was saying "I have decided I cannot be a full-time working royal, and someone else decided I cannot be a part-time working royal, so there are no remaining choices beyond becoming a non-working royal... and so that's what I'm doing."

EDIT: My guess is that the rule about working royals not being allowed to earn private income probably .
I don’t think every detail has been worked out. I could be wrong, but doubt the RF are cool with H&M exploiting/cashing in on the name or connection to the Crown.

It's back to the wanting the cake and eating it too (which btw is a dumb saying, who has ake that they don't want to eat....isnt that the point of having cake????)

So, because I love etymology of words and phrases I can answer this!

The original proverb is actually backwards from what we use now. The original from 1546 was this: “Wolde ye bothe eate your cake, and haue your cake?” This version makes way more sense, you can't eat your cake and still have your cake. (Because you ate it!)

I'll also digress on the "have your cake" issue. In this case, "have" means save, which is confusing for us in modern English because we so often use the verb "have" to mean "eat" when the subject is food.
"I'll have a burger" means I will eat a burger, and probably as soon as it is served.

If you replace the word "have" with "save", then the phrase makes a LOT more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter