Is it just me? I.E. new automated voice when you call DVC.

It's not the cost for me, it's just one less Disney thing at Disney. enjoyed the very Disney voice when I called. If others think it is just a voice OK but not me..smjj

The day they reduce dues because of this I'll send you a check for the amount I save. ;)

The cost of paying a voice actor when spread across the millions of points is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction per point. However here's the main thing - DVC gets a straight 12% budget calculated on the remaining Operating and Capital budgets (less a few line items) for MS administration and can keep what they don't spend. It's a profit center for them and those few dollars they save will go in their pockets.

I’m well aware of how the budgeting works, believe me. If you know about Disney IT and telephony and their change control / life cycle, you would not be questioning the realisation of savings and efficiency. It is not just a voice actor - you are quite correct, that is just one, relatively, small cost. Changing these prompts is/was a massive undertaking and involves several departments and takes weeks of effort. This wasn’t just an exercise in swapping out the voice - there are are some big changes in the underlying technology that will allow more dynamic handling of calls through the IVR that would not have otherwise been possible, including adding the potential automation of some straight forward tasks. This will realise non-trivial savings over the lifetime of its implementation. It is not possible for Member Services to increase or enhance their services without making savings elsewhere - so while this will not directly impact dues, it could very well impact, in a positive way, the service offering from MS. So I fully maintain that this is good for our dues - anything that results in our money being spent more efficiently is a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

I just dialed in. It was definitely a man's voice but didn't sound like a robot. Is ok to me.

Wow they changed it again. No longer a robot sounding voice. Sounds good.

Had to call just to check. It is still synthesized but much better.
It seems the new offering is Disney's hybrid solution. They seemed to have brought back the male voice that was pre-recorded and created a robot voice to emulate the elements that are variable. He goes from sounding like he did before to glitching into some weird, synthesized inflections of words. Whatever it is, it sounds better than the interim all-robot voice.

Wow they changed it again. No longer a robot sounding voice. Sounds good.

Yes it is better but is still is not Ed. I am sure they have a valid reason to change it but still Ed's voice was just so Disney and I miss it..smjjºoº

Yes it is better but is still is not Ed. I am sure they have a valid reason to change it but still Ed's voice was just so Disney and I miss it..smjjºoº

It's like they searched to find something as close as they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter