• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is DVC Getting too Big?

That has not been the case each year, last year it was mainly due to beach restoration.

True, but that large increase hit kind of hard all at once. I don't think my dues have ever gone down there (like my okw dues had at one time). Plus, being right ON the coast like that, it is likely to happen again. Of course, that doesn't stop me from owning there, i LOVE that resort and it's worth the money but i don't think i'd buy there if i didn't like it, as someone had mentioned.

I wouldn't say it's too big but with the amount of contracts sold at SSR I do think it's almost impossible to get a ressie at the smaller resorts. I wish they would change the home resort priority to a smaller window than 7 months, maybe 3 or 4 months. I've been trying to get into BW(my home) in Jan for over a month now and nothing is available.

I wouldn't say it's too big but with the amount of contracts sold at SSR I do think it's almost impossible to get a ressie at the smaller resorts. I wish they would change the home resort priority to a smaller window than 7 months, maybe 3 or 4 months. I've been trying to get into BW(my home) in Jan for over a month now and nothing is available.

Problem with that is scheduling off work and schools. Getting airline tickets. Disney wants the rooms filled. If they hold back invetory until the 3 month mark, occupancy will go down. Less money being spent at the parks. You had from 11 to 8 months to book your room. You can not expect DVC or any other timeshare for that matter to have a room waiting 5 months from check-in. It just does not happen.

Problem with that is scheduling off work and schools. Getting airline tickets. Disney wants the rooms filled. If they hold back invetory until the 3 month mark, occupancy will go down. Less money being spent at the parks. You had from 11 to 8 months to book your room. You can not expect DVC or any other timeshare for that matter to have a room waiting 5 months from check-in. It just does not happen.
And the opposite of that is not to expect people to make all their vacation plans in their small window. Not everybody can do that. If I can't get in my home resort, I just don't go. I'm sure there is no record of how many people DON'T go when they can't get in their home resort. It's impossible to please everybody. My next step may be to sell.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding harsh.
My question is why would it defeat the purpose of DVC for you? You can still use your DVC for the exact reasons you bought it for... saving on deluxe accommodations. You could actually pretend the value DVC doesn't even exist, as it wouldn't affect you in any way.

Again, I'm just trying to understand, and I'm not trying to devalue your opinion.. :smokin:

MG

I have no problem with DVC adding a value resort it probably won't change my vacation habits or affect me. it may be just the ticket for many and if so that is great. As for me, if I was ok with the value resorts I could have done that without DVC. As I stated the draw for me was the use of (what I consider) deluxe accommodations for about the same price I was paying for the values or off property. In my mind it gives me a better vacation experience for my money. So I guess what I was saying was the addition of a value DVC just wouldn't entice me into purchasing DVC if I wasn't already an owner.

sorry if I snapped at you:grouphug: I just don't think the allure of a value resort is what attracts most folks to DVC. I could be wrong;)

....................Disney employees are one of the largest percentage of DVC members and they almost exclusively use DVC to trade out. They were able to purchase DVC with a discount and use it travel elsewhere as they have no need or desire to use it at WDW.
Where did you get this information?

Again, I don't understand this...
You wouldn't have to stay there, and the folks that do want to stay there would get a bargain price as compared to a cash rate. :confused3

MG
I think I understand.
A value DVC would have to be a completely seperate entity from the current DVC. If it wasn't, then someone could buy into a value DVC at a value price-per-point (lets say it would cost half as much as buying into SSR or AKV), probably pay less dues, but use their points to stay at a deluxe DVC resort. And as a consequence, deluxe DVC owners would be forced to book value DVC rooms because all the deluxe DVC rooms were already booked by the influx of value DVC owners.

If there was to be a value DVC, then those owners should only be able to use their points at other value resorts.

It's just that now that we have an RV, we are going to OTHER places, at disney..we can stay LONGER and don't even GO to parks some days.

I'm glad you brought this up. As a timeshare owner I know the value of spreading your wings. When I was a kid, my parents invested in a beachfront condo near us. For the next 15-20 years our only vacations were to the beach. It got very boring even though the condo was considered a second home.

Then we started taking short hotel trips. Eventually that turned into a Marriott vacation club trip, then ownership. Now my dad and I plan 4-5 big trips a year. Two to Disney, one-two elsewhere (Williamsburg the last few years) and one some place new. This year we used Marriott reward points (converted from our vacation club weeks) to stay in London. In the past we've gone on cruises, stayed in Miami, Tampa, St. Augustine, Savannah, Hilton Head, New Jersey, even several stops cross country to Colorado.

I love Disney because it's a great park area and meeting place. But I'd go nuts if that was the only trip I ever took in a year. After the 50th time riding Buzz Lightyear it gets dull.

The one thing that concerns me about DVC is the somewhat poor value they put on trading out to other destinations. It's an expensive ownership in the timeshare world, yet doesn't give members half the travel flexibility as other timeshares like Marriott.

I'm glad you brought this up. As a timeshare owner I know the value of spreading your wings. When I was a kid, my parents invested in a beachfront condo near us. For the next 15-20 years our only vacations were to the beach. It got very boring even though the condo was considered a second home.

Then we started taking short hotel trips. Eventually that turned into a Marriott vacation club trip, then ownership. Now my dad and I plan 4-5 big trips a year. Two to Disney, one-two elsewhere (Williamsburg the last few years) and one some place new. This year we used Marriott reward points (converted from our vacation club weeks) to stay in London. In the past we've gone on cruises, stayed in Miami, Tampa, St. Augustine, Savannah, Hilton Head, New Jersey, even several stops cross country to Colorado.

I love Disney because it's a great park area and meeting place. But I'd go nuts if that was the only trip I ever took in a year. After the 50th time riding Buzz Lightyear it gets dull.

The one thing that concerns me about DVC is the somewhat poor value they put on trading out to other destinations. It's an expensive ownership in the timeshare world, yet doesn't give members half the travel flexibility as other timeshares like Marriott.

I know i will always love being at Disney World, i loved it PRE-dvc and i'll love it POST-dvc (if i sell the rest off eventually). However, since we've been venturing out to other places, even tri-state area campgrounds, geez, there's ALOT more to do in this world! My son has been telling me this for awhile now and he's glad we are finally finding out for ourselves. We are enjoying hiking, biking and we rediscovered Fort Wilderness and there is just nothing like it.
When we bought into DVC 10 yrs ago, my kids were 2 and 10, of course it fit our lifestyle perfectly back then. Now it seems like we're TRYING to find ways to use the remaining points we have. we thought we'd just use them at Fort Wilderness but with that $95 trade out fee DVC decided to gouge us with, that probably won't be happening. Since our points are at our beloved HH, we may just end up there which is fine with me!

I personally think that people should have to pay a small surcharge to stay outside their home resort. But since that isn't the rule, I plan to buy some points at the cheapest resort (HHI) and use them when I can to book rooms at one of the most expensive ones.

Isn't that kinda like saying "It's awful that people are rioting that electronics store and the police do nothing? Hold on while I grab a TV for myself."

I know i will always love being at Disney World, i loved it PRE-dvc and i'll love it POST-dvc (if i sell the rest off eventually). However, since we've been venturing out to other places, even tri-state area campgrounds, geez, there's ALOT more to do in this world! My son has been telling me this for awhile now and he's glad we are finally finding out for ourselves. We are enjoying hiking, biking and we rediscovered Fort Wilderness and there is just nothing like it.

Well I did have near 10 years of traveling elsewhere before we even returned to Disney. (I went once as a kid pre-beach condo.) And I've ruled out moving down to Orlando permanently, but I find I appreciate Disney more as the years go by. I also split my trips between offsite and onsite resorts so I never feel completely limited.

But our days of just going to the parks all day are over. Now I happily spend half the day at the Boardwalk before setting foot inside EPCOT. Or else (as I discovered in May) I'll happily leave the park just to head back to SSR and swim. The resorts themselves are an attraction and pleasant getaway. Disney just happens to be cleaner, better landscaped and much more people friendly than the rest of the world. (Something you figure out if you live with a mobility disability that requires wheels.)

Since our points are at our beloved HH, we may just end up there which is fine with me!

Judging by your interests I expect you'll have a great time at HHI. It is a bicyclist's paradise! I can't say I was that impressed with Disney's location there (the Marriott's have better beachfront or harbour property), but with a car or bike there's a lot to see and do. If I didn't have so much of it at home in our beach condo, I'd be returning to HHI sooner. But of all the southern coast beaches (Myrtle, Tybee, Hilton Head, Wrightsville), I find Ocean City, MD has the best one.

I think I understand.
A value DVC would have to be a completely seperate entity from the current DVC. If it wasn't, then someone could buy into a value DVC, probably pay less dues, but use their points to stay at a deluxe DVC resort. And as a consequence, deluxe DVC owners would be forced to book value DVC rooms because all the deluxe DVC rooms were already booked by the influx of value DVC owners.

If there was to be a value DVC, then those owners should only be able to use their points at other value resorts.
True, but I don't think they would get our deluxe accommodations at a discount. The value DVCs would be less points, but the current ones would still be the same points. As far as differences in fees, heck that happens all the time... Trust me, I pay the VB dues.. :eek:

I guess that's easy for me to say because I ALWAYS book using my home resort advantage. If I booked late and couldn't get my first choice, I would probably be saying exactly the same as you. :)

Thanx, disney-super-mom. I do understand your point. :smokin:

MG

Well I did have near 10 years of traveling elsewhere before we even returned to Disney. (I went once as a kid pre-beach condo.) And I've ruled out moving down to Orlando permanently, but I find I appreciate Disney more as the years go by. I also split my trips between offsite and onsite resorts so I never feel completely limited.

But our days of just going to the parks all day are over. Now I happily spend half the day at the Boardwalk before setting foot inside EPCOT. Or else (as I discovered in May) I'll happily leave the park just to head back to SSR and swim. The resorts themselves are an attraction and pleasant getaway. Disney just happens to be cleaner, better landscaped and much more people friendly than the rest of the world. (Something you figure out if you live with a mobility disability that requires wheels.)

Judging by your interests I expect you'll have a great time at HHI. It is a bicyclist's paradise! I can't say I was that impressed with Disney's location there (the Marriott's have better beachfront or harbour property), but with a car or bike there's a lot to see and do. If I didn't have so much of it at home in our beach condo, I'd be returning to HHI sooner. But of all the southern coast beaches (Myrtle, Tybee, Hilton Head, Wrightsville), I find Ocean City, MD has the best one.

Oh yes, we DO love it there! We went to HH pre-disney and already knew we loved it, the Disney Resort with it's theming, just made it that much more enjoyable for us. We actually LIKE that it's not on the beach since we're not beach people (my sons would disagree, lol). We have been going there practically since it opened and was barely landscaped! Now we all got bikes to take on the RV with us but the ironic thing is, HHI isn't very RV friendly unless you're staying at one of the two RV resorts so we'll put them on the mini van and head down one of these days. Right now, it looks like for Thanksgiving next year.

Isn't that kinda like saying "It's awful that people are rioting that electronics store and the police do nothing? Hold on while I grab a TV for myself."

Kinda. It's like saying, "Oh my gosh, there's a loophole in the law that makes it perfectly legal to take television sets during a riot! They need to close that loophole because it's bad public policy and bad for society to have such a loophole. But since the loophole is there, I'm going to grab a TV for myself."

So, if people bought at VB, 1/2 of their stays had to be at VB? When? I have never read this before.

Bobbi:goodvibes
It's true..
When I first looked into DVC many years ago, the guide at OKW told me the same thing. I was mostly interested in using points for the Poly at the time, but he said "every other stay must be at OKW".
He continued to say we could spend one night of our vacation at OKW, then the rest at the Poly. Next year repeat the cycle.. :smokin:

MG

So, if people bought at VB, 1/2 of their stays had to be at VB? When? I have never read this before.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We bought in '92. They opened Vero & Hilton Head and at that time, every other trip had to be at your home resort. There was a lot of things early on that the "newbies" don't know about. That was the lure back then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter