• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is DVC Getting too Big?

sean-1966

DIS Veteran
Is it getting to the point that DVC no longer "special"? At what point is it big enough? I've seen mention of a value DVC resort. Is that going to really downgrade DVC in your eyes?

In my eyes the more members the harder it becomes to get what you want for a stay with out proper planning. Also the buy where you want to stay addage holds very true as the membership grows.

As far as a value DVC, I'm not quite sure how this would work. I would assume that a stay at that resort would require less points........but the sell price from Disney would be the same? Or would it be a whole new DVC where you would have to buy into the value resorts??

As long as DVC is profitable for Disney they will continue to add and build.....

Brownie

I may be in the minority, but I love the fact that there are new resorts, new categories of villas, new restaurants, etc. After so many years of visiting WDW, both pre- and post-DVC, most vacations still offer a new experience! :cheer2:

So I say to DVD: "Keep 'em coming!" :thumbsup2

Is it getting to the point that DVC no longer "special"? At what point is it big enough? I've seen mention of a value DVC resort. Is that going to really downgrade DVC in your eyes?

Is DVC to big? No, if DVC was just one large mega resort complex, I would say yes. But since DVC is a collection of unique resorts, I would have to say that it still has a unique appeal. In fact, I think DVC has gotten better with the additional resorts that are being added.

There will not be a "value" DVC resort. There is not a need for DVC to sell a lesser resort, when the market is clearly selling so well as "deluxe villa" accomadations. Pure rumor.

there is a plan for all the WDW resorts to have DVC. yes even the value.

that say the only one I have heard mentioned is Pop Century. It is WDW best selling value resort - so although the other building is yet to be finished - which might mean DVC. I don't think so. Disney will finish it as a hotel not DVC.

that said I see a value resort like the Horizons at Marriott. It will cost less, and the points will be less. but they won't be able to get to the other DVC resorts until like 4 months (might even be less) before they arrive.

beside talking a big difference in points here. a value studio would have to less than 6 points (HH studio-Adventure season). So talking 4 points for a studio, maybe 8 points for a 1-bedroom, 10 points for a 2-bedroom. so asking them to spend enough points to get one of the current DVC is asking alot.

also think it will work the opposite we can't get it until the 4th month too. fair is fair.

believe me it won't be easy for them to get the other DVC resorts. and it won't be very easy for us to get their resort.

none of this is a fact only rumors that I have heard.

forgot the units will be much smaller as well.

i dont know though,

would the intial point buy in be the same? I cant see someone looking for value accommidations dropping $16k just to get in.

they wouldnt really need 160 points a year if the point stays were significantly lower

haven't heard that detail.

remember that DVC started out with 230 points, drop to 190, then a few years later 150 points. only with AKV & SSR has it gone up again to 160 Points.

so yea I would say probably less than a 100 points.

forgot the OP poster. no don't think DVC is too big. the more DVC resorts the better. It gives you more of a choice without having to reach for the check book. remember all the other choices require money as well a points.

Is DVC [to] big? No, if DVC was just one large mega resort complex, I would say yes. But since DVC is a collection of unique resorts, I would have to say that it still has a unique appeal. In fact, I think DVC has gotten better with the additional resorts that are being added.

There will not be a "value" DVC resort. There is not a need for DVC to sell a lesser resort, when the market is clearly selling so well as "deluxe villa" accomadations. Pure rumor.

Yes, I do think DVC CAN get too big. If they went to value accommodations, I would likely pull out. I did not buy into DVC for value accommodations, and I am one who feels the underpriced renting causes a "value" mentality that somehow degrades the resorts. When we have folks with websites pooling DVC points by being added to people's contracts just for the sake of renting....yep....it's getting too big.

Yes, I do think DVC CAN get too big. If they went to value accommodations, I would likely pull out. I did not buy into DVC for value accommodations, and I am one who feels the underpriced renting causes a "value" mentality that somehow degrades the resorts. When we have folks with websites pooling DVC points by being added to people's contracts just for the sake of renting....yep....it's getting too big.

I am just trying to be logical, but one glaring fact to me is that DVC doesn't allow point exchanges into anything other than moderate or deluxe resorts. I don't see that they will ever go the direction of value DVC. For the cost of my fees, I could stay a week at Pop Century. It doesn't make fiscal sense. You must consider the cost of ownership beyond the initial investment.

If Disney did offer DVC at value resorts, what would the price per point be? $104/point is current for AKV and SSR. Why would anyone pay that price when they can book with a room with a discount for much less? With a discount, they could book 2 rooms.

Considering that the buzz is that Contemporary is next on the list, I would expect the price to jump from the current $104/point.

I am under the impression that Disney would like to keep DVC "upscale". That is why they are building on to Deluxe resorts or building them independently - such as OKW and SSR.

Just my 2 cents....

I'm not sure DVC has gotten "too big" but I do think we are starting to see some of the growing pains of its expansion. I think the new Banking Rule is an example.

There is a plan? Your source?

a couple of supervisors at Disney - not going to name names they would get into trouble.

they hinted at the points - so I put that in rumor catalogue. If DVC is getting that definitely there would be a bunch of rumors.

that say - both the AKV and CR (if that is the next dvc) are NOT where they are in the planned DVC.

so WDW is not even sticking with their original plans for DVC.

I'm not sure DVC has gotten "too big" but I do think we are starting to see some of the growing pains of its expansion. I think the new Banking Rule is an example.

the article hinted that is was a member request. It might have been - some members that I meet (okay I tried they just aren't interested in any internet sites) can get very confused.

since the last couple of surveys have been on the internet - I can't see these folks participating in those either. So they must have written letters of complaint.

I think that the Pop Century rumor will never pan out. If they do ever offer a lower cost option it would have to be a seperate program.

As to whether I think DVC is too big, I welcome growth as long as it is not all at WDW. Disneyland, Hawaii, Disneyland Paris,etc. Will only offer us more options as members. In addition, DVC units sold outside of WDW will decrease demand for rooms at WDW, do to the fact that many of the members who buy at the new (offsite) resorts will do so because they like the location.

As an example I offer up the Grand Californian Villas. Most of these new members will be west coast members that plan on using these points primarly at The Disneyland Resort.

They are essentially expanding the portfolio of DVC resorts, without really impacting avaliablilty at WDW. This holds true wheather there are 50 units or 500. The same would be true for a Hawaii property.

In addition, you have many existing members that are waiting for some new options off WDW property. These members will use their points at off site resorts, creating avaliablity at their home resorts.

I support steady growth at WDW and expanded growth at other locations.

Luckily, this is the direction DVC seems to be going.

This is just my opinion but I believe it is getting too big. Not in the resort aspect, but in the management aspect.

I had an issue that happened several weeks ago. I really don't want to go into detail as it would take pages to write it all out, but my issue was escalated to upper DVC management. When it got there, management made the initial attempt to get in touch with me to discuss what happened. Within hours, I returned a phone call and then waited for 2 weeks without hearing something back. In my opinion, this was very unacceptable. As Disney Management, there should be no excuse for not returning a phone call, especially when I was not the one who initiated the phone contact in the first place.

Most managers know that touching base with someone goes a long way. I would have felt so different if that had been done, but in our case, I truly feel the attempt was to sweep it under the carpet.

I do know that MS now has a new person in charge, as in the head of Member Services. In talking to her one evening, she told me that they are going to be addressing the concerns of members. I hope that happens for everyone involved.

We have many vacations because of our ownership of DVC. We have some wonderful memories of those trips, but I have to say, my feel of Disney right now has been tarnished based on my recent experience with the management team at DVC. :(

I don't think it's too big. I love having additional options. The value to us has only increased with the addition of another resort since we bought, and the prospect of more. I am excited about trying AKV.

I don't see how additional resorts/members affect ability to get what you want, because the new members are added in proportion to the new space. So at the same time as there are more members vying for rooms, there are more rooms for everyone.

"Value DVC" doesn't seem like a good business proposition to me.

I love the idea of a Disneyland DVC. It would be really fun to go out there.

From Disney's perspective, there probably is no such thing as being too big. After all, as long as people are buying, Disney is cashing checks and smiling all the way to the bank. But from a member's point of view, bigger is not neccessarily better. When parks are too crowded or restaurants are too full, the guest experience suffers at the expense of the bottom line. I think DVC may actually be at or approaching the limit for what they can practically handle.

We've heard about the "decline" in housekeeping over the years as well as the difficulty in hiring enough of them. And it does seem DVC is becoming rather more inattentive to concerns of the membership, ie "we can't get your room ready for checkin by 4:00 pm so we'll change checkin time to AFTER 4:00 pm." Voila, problem solved and the members can go suck eggs! Not to mention the many operational changes over the last year or so that have polarized the membership into "it's good, it's bad" debates here on the DIS.

So I would think DVC can and probably has gotten too large. And, in my case anyway, I've noticed a decline in both guest experience and satisfaction. Not to the point of selling - for those who can't wait to suggest that as my solution - but definitely at the cautious optimism stage. Time will tell.

Yep, capacity issues - park capacity, restaurant capacity, pool capacity. Disney is going to have to do something if they want more beds - DVC beds or otherwise. And resource issues - a shortage of housekeepers, a shortage of good managers.

I also think that as DVC grows its flexibility is going to get less and less. More and more competition for a few rooms at small resorts. More rules and less flexibility.

I think most NEW members will not say it is getting too big; it was big when they joined and that didn't stop them. I think alot of the old timers that have owned for 10+ yrs. would say, yes, it is getting too big. I am not saying this from a resort aspect, of course more options are better. I am saying from a member aspect. i feel it is too big. Disney would disagree, i'm sure!

It just doesn't feel as special as it once did. MS has so many new people to handle the load and the ones i've dealt with are not trained very well. They left a point in my 2007 use year and used 2008 and even borrowed from 2009 without using that 2007 point first. Luckily, I noticed and had them correct it. I had one CM at MS tell me that i had to book the Disney Collection at 7 mos. out, not 11. Fortunately, i've been around long enough to recognize these mistakes but i can only wonder how many new members don't notice or realize and just assume MS is always right.

I've scaled back on my points to a fourth of what i once had and don't miss the points at all, that is something i thought i'd never do. Our vacation style has changed, but DVC has changed as well, and I don't feel it's for the better.

That said, DVC still has the most beautiful and spacious resorts and regardless of how large it's grown, we still did the right thing when we bought and have had 10+ years of fantastic vacations that i wouldn't trade for the world!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter