Is clothing required on your verandah?

And if you’re on a European cruise and go to the beach, you’ll probably see a couple topless ladies. Oh, and a lot of naked statues and paintings.

The US is pretty unique in its approach to the human body.
See? Now this is what confuses me. Europeans tend to be more secure in their skin, wearing “smaller” swimwear, topless beaches, etc......yet I hear they think the cracks between the doors in publi restroom stalls in the US are appalling. What gives?

No one is advocating walking around naked, or making love in front of anyone (well some of you are on the edge!). A glimpse of a naked body is not harmful. If I am showering in the gym or changing clothes in the spa and you are there with your child you expect me to hide behind a towel? Um no. I am not an exhibitionist and I dry off quickly and put my clothes back on. And yep, I may be on my balcony nude, or my husband may open the stateroom door while I am naked and you are walking by- big deal.
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Chances are no one will be walking around nude.
You may see some breastfeeding. You may see butt cheeks at the pool. You may see speedos. You may see topless young girls (under the age of 6). Its vacation, go with the flow and do not be offended.
You haven’t been on a Disney cruise until you see the European men in their speedo thongs

Just off the phone with DCL. The representative said "nudity is absolutely not allowed on the ship" and that includes balconies. Think what you like but I find it ridiculous to advocate nudity on a line known for being family friendly.
Did you honestly expect the representative to say yes it’s allowed? Once you are out to sea there is very little Disney can do. What you expect them to do, put someone in Disney jail?

7ED501A7-452F-4BBF-AA8D-8F2329F38EB7.jpeg I decided to also ask customer support about being naked on the verandah but I took a different approach. My name was changed and I scribbled out the agents name. I also made sure to leave the agent a great review for putting up with my ridiculous question.

See? Now this is what confuses me. Europeans tend to be more secure in their skin, wearing “smaller” swimwear, topless beaches, etc......yet I hear they think the cracks between the doors in publi restroom stalls in the US are appalling. What gives?

I'm American and have no issues with nudity but think public bathrooms in the US are generally terrible with the cracks and open floors. I prefer private restrooms with doors that go to the floor with a real door. :duck:

I'm American and have no issues with nudity but think public bathrooms in the US are generally terrible with the cracks and open floors. I prefer private restrooms with doors that go to the floor with a real door. :duck:
I totally prefer the little rooms with doors, too. But I don’t sweat the little cracks in the doors of stalls either. I know when I go on a restroom I don’t look at the cracks and look at people in stalls. So whatever is going on in there I don’t see. And I don’t want to see. We are all in that room for the same person. Nothing to be uncomfortable about. But, I could see it being bothersome to others so it’s cool. ;)

This is the same reason that the verandas are not totally private. Many of them have small cracks in the connecting walls that allow you to glimpse into the next-door veranda.

This is the same reason that the verandas are not totally private. Many of them have small cracks in the connecting walls that allow you to glimpse into the next-door veranda.
I think there in lies the question. Obviously, it is in poor taste to be leaning over the rail in the buff for all the world (or even neighbors) to see without any real effort. But, if you are sitting in the chairs back towards the slider with a glass of wine, enjoying the view and sea air and Junior next door peers around the wall being all nosy... well... in my opinion, he sees what he sees. If Mama doesn't want him seeing, she should make sure he isn't peeping!

As I posted earlier in the thread, if my kid sees you naked I will consider that a risk to their well being and report you. No, I am not a prude but that is not what I go on vacation for.

There always has to be one who gets over the top offended! :rolleyes1

Three words: watch your kids. If your children are throwing themselves over the balcony edge, or leaning far enough over to look up and see anyone, you aren't doing your duty as their parent and their ACTUAL physical wellbeing is at risk come that point. Calling the Disney Police on someone expecting reasonable privacy because your children were behaving in an unreasonable manner is just sad.

PS: this opinion is brought to you by a (very proud) Verandah Club member. :tongue:

Last edited:
View attachment 335378 I decided to also ask customer support about being naked on the verandah but I took a different approach. My name was changed and I scribbled out the agents name. I also made sure to leave the agent a great review for putting up with my ridiculous question.
LOL. I love what you did there and I love the Disney CM response. I mean, they didn't say Disney doesn't allow it, just offered a reminder that the area is not totally private and you might get a complaint. I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of folks here have been saying all along. I know that's what I've been saying.

There is no express statement by Disney that is telling guests they are not allowed to be on the balcony without clothing. There are all sorts of other rules such as don't leave things on your balcony such as towels, swimwear, snacks, etc. They may blow overboard. There is a sign on the door asking passengers to keep the door to the balcony closed. Nothing about the clothing you should (or should not) wear.

Thread drift, but last time we were at the Family Beach a family from the UK was a few umbrellas down from us. Everytime they got out of the water they took off their suits to dry and changed into other clothes. That was a new one for us.

View attachment 335378 I decided to also ask customer support about being naked on the verandah but I took a different approach. My name was changed and I scribbled out the agents name. I also made sure to leave the agent a great review for putting up with my ridiculous question.

Two interesting observations:
- the response is that the staterooms are not totally private rather than the veranda!!
- here is the description on the DCL website. Does the advertising standards agency apply in the US (It’s a UK thing)

Commenting as someone enjoying the thread and in the “just be sensibly discreet” camp.

DE2E3C4D-DCF5-4CD5-A196-D8296FF35125.jpeg

Thread drift, but last time we were at the Family Beach a family from the UK was a few umbrellas down from us. Everytime they got out of the water they took off their suits to dry and changed into other clothes. That was a new one for us.
My friend grew up in Germany and says that being in a wet swimsuit is a huge deal there so everyone strips and changes right away. After her family moved to the states, relatives visited and they almost gave everyone on the us beach quite a show until my friend's mom stepped in.

We were on the Magic and when we were docked in Tortola there was a German (I think it was German) cruise ship across the pier from us. There were PLENTY of passengers on that ship who were starkers on their verandah while enjoying their coffee and other pursuits. They really didn't care that they were at the pier and in direct eye sight of our ship. For those of you who are concerned about children seeing naked adults, I can tell you that my kiddos had WAY better things to do on board than watch naked adults "get busy" on the verandah. Ha ha!

When my husband and went to a swimming pool in a German spa, we were the only one wearing bathing suits. So it was we who felt very conspicuous and inappropriate! LOL. We subsequently adopted the "When in Rome..." philosophy toward all this. We in the US are much more weirded out by nudity than some others with whom we share the planet. Perhaps nudity on the balcony is best enjoyed later at night, when the "moon" is a normal part of the scenery.

Last edited:
Curiosity killed the cat, right? I went back and watched the sail away video, and the only place where I saw the possibility of the suspected Free Willy Waver was at the 4:25 mark. Even so, with the glass wall tinted, I wouldn't have thought he had taken off anything more than his shirt. If I were sitting at Fishlips enjoying a cocktail and some snackage, I probably would not have even noticed him at all.

Two interesting observations:
- the response is that the staterooms are not totally private rather than the veranda!!
- here is the description on the DCL website. Does the advertising standards agency apply in the US (It’s a UK thing)

Commenting as someone enjoying the thread and in the “just be sensibly discreet” camp.

View attachment 335871

Private just means not shared with another cabin. Not enclosed so that no one can see in.

Threads like these make me crazy. Sure, it’s ok if an adult has sex on their balcony and a child happens to see. But god forbid if someone holds a spot in the character greeting line or theater for a child (or adult for that matter) who happens to be somewhere else for a few minutes. Sheesh! :crazy2::duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter