• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is anyone else miffed about the deals?

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all ~ I am miffed with Disney. The AT PAR deals I've seen are for Dream Maker package. I don't want to spend all my time in the parks. I guess my only option is to enjoy Sea World and Universal next trip. S

You know what Sandra, I feel exactly the same! I just couldn't bring myself to stay onsite and spend all that money on tickets, when Universal has the 5 day Bonus Pass for 90 bucks,CAA offers SW tickets for $55 Cdn, AND you get a 2nd day free within 7 days. Even though this is our first trip ( and maybe BECAUSE it's my first trip; see my tag line) we are only doing one day at MK, and MVMCP. I am sure my husband will be so dazzled by the terrific prices I got on everything that he will agree to another trip, so I am no longer treating this as a "once in a lifetime" trip. If I went hog wild and bought passes up the wazoo he would think that the trip had cost too much and we wouldn't go again. By showing him how reasonably priced the holiday can be, I'm pretty certain that there will be another visit to the Mouse in the future, and then we will concentrate more on Disney stuff. By then maybe they will have the "at par" passes again.

Sandra I feel the same way. I am going to buy a 7 day hopper just so I can get 2 or 3 trips out of it, but we are starting to prefer the hotels at Universal and more time at those parks. Don't get me wrong we still love Disney and will do at least 3 days there on our trip but we are considering staying the entire time at Universal and driving back to Disney.

Faye-you could also considering buying a 5 day pass for Disney and then the next trip the tickets are already paid for and you could get a chance to see the castle on both trips. It would cost a bit more now but next trip would be a breeze.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way of all things. Room-only discounts (and indeed CRO themselves) are apparently on the way out. No ticket-only at par (or 2-for-1.5) deal this year. Based on recent successes, WDW appears to be pushing packages, rather than the individual components. This serves two purposes - they're easier to market, and by including the UPH passes they lock you into spending all your time (and money) at the parks.

However, there are some of us who that won't help; DVC owners who only need passes for their stay; people who like to do some of the other Orlando-area attractions as well. WDW thinks they can fill up more of the rooms (and make more money in the process) through the packages. Personally, I think they're alienating many of us - like people who will spend more time at USF as a result and spend our money there.

Time will tell.

- Mike

Yep, we're annoyed...we're DVC owners too, and were really watching for the buy one get 50% off tkt media deal.

I understand the business behind the UPH, stay on site, play onsite, SPEND onsite...but I think WDW may be a little out of touch with the people who come to their parks...."frequent guest" in WDW lingo is a person who comes every three years...and what do they do? My money is on 3days at Universal, Sea world, and 4-6 days at wdw, and call it their once in a lifetime trip. And then proceed to vacation elsewhere in successive years.

I also get the "all inclusive" idea that WDW is going for. One Price gets you ALL this feeling... to combat the travel elsewheres for one price - then its not airfare, Plus room, Plus tkts. I like travel like that too, which is why Sandals/Beaches/Breezes is so attractive to us....help me find a great tkt price, Walt, and we won't spend so much time at Universal!:crazy:

Because we really do like living with the mouse!
Thanks for letting me rant a littlepirate:

They bought back EE because many folks wrote letters ~ maybe we should start a letter campaign too! DH and I were talking about our next Disney trip and I gotta tell ya' we aren't in a hurry to go now that we can't get a room only deal. I think we would be better off enjoying Ontario and camping until my kids are old enough for Universal. S

I feel the same way Sandra! Dh is talking about going down south at March Break as he wants to go golfing. Of course, I will "tag along"! ;)

Last year I got a room-only code rate but if Disney is only going to offer package deals, that won't suit us at all. I like to do other things beside the Disney parks (I don't have the stamina to go every day) like resort hopping, shopping etc. He golfs! The Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista might be getting more business from us if we do go down! Usually we just stay there the first night as our "bumper" day in case we are delayed in the drive down due to weather at that time of year.

I'm still hoping that Disney might come out with room-only deals that are for everyone. I'd love to stay at Pop Century.

Hi Everyone:

There is still CAA discounts for room only. I know they are not as big a discount as the codes but it all helps.

Deb.

I haven't booked or bought anything for our Jan/Feb trip yet. I guess I'm still optomistic that Disney will do SOMETHING...other than the ultimate package. The package doesn't interest us at all because 1. we plan on arriving in the afternoon and on the day we leave, we hope to be on the road by 8:00 am. So there will be a day and a half of park time wasted. 2. We are planning on going to Seaworld on one day and maybe do some touring outside the park on another day. So now were up to 3 1/2 days that we have paid for park usage and are not in the parks:mad:

We went through similar disappointments last time we went to WDW(in 2002) with attraction closures (ieCOP) and the elimination of Early Entry days. I just don't understand their thinking. I would have thought that their ultimate plan would be to get more bodies to WDW...therefore the more money you will make...souvenirs, food, etc.

We are going to Disney in the next couple of weeks but also want to squeeze in Seaworld this trip as we have a weekend off site at the Old Summerfield Suites in Orlando.
Where can I get a good deal on tickets? 2 adults and a child?
Does CAA sell them? does anyone know how much for? I'm not a CAA member but I'm sure I can find someone who is to grab them for me!
:o)

Wow ~ you are all awesome. I thought I might be alone with my disappointment. We orginially planned to wait until POFQ re-opens and stay there for 4 night and then a Disney deluxe resort for 4 nights ~ I just assumed I would use a code. I figured about $100 USF for POFQ and about $200 USF for the deluxe. We planned to buy 7 Day HP and use 4 days this trip and 3 the next. We wanted to add one Universal day and one Sea World day. We love resort hopping and hanging out at the resort too. With the new packages, one is forced be a park commando to get your moneys worth. I think we might postpone our Florida trip until spring 2006 when ds is 6 years old and dd will be 11.5 years old. I can still get a S&D govt deal, so we might stay there and then over to Universal and of course the BEACH! We are having such a great time in our new tent trailer that I am happy hanging out in Ontario camping for vacations until 2006. We have camped almost every weekend since August! Chat soon! S

You can get the SW tickets at CAA, the price per adult is about $55 CDN for members, $60. non-member. I called SW on Saturday and confirmed that these tickets also qualify for the "second day free" promotion, so you can come back a second time within 7 days of your first visit at no additional cost. You just have to upgrade your ticket before you leave the park on the first visit. This is an awesome price, in Cdn funds, for 2 days entertainment.

I can't wait to go to Sea World again. The more I think about it, the more I want to go. My kids love Marineland in NF, so Sea World will be a fine treat! I think by the time we do Florida again they will be right into Universal Studios. I can see us going three or four Disney days and spend the rest of our time at Sea World, US and the beach. NASA is fun too! S

I guess I'm in the moniroty here, but I was thrilled when the CDN @ par Dream Maker package came out. I figured it out as being a great savings for my family anyway. The room-only price for 7 nights at WL in May was $1865 US. We booked the Visa package for the exact same dates and room type for $2022 UD. I figure that for 2 adults & 1 child that gives us 8 days of UPH for $157. Sure, we won't have leftover days to use next trip, but if we bought admission at the gate, it would cost us that much for 1 day. And I figure that if we decide to not go to the parks for 1 or 2 days, we still got a great deal!

It's not quite as good as the FTP, but it's pretty close. Then again, it's just my opinion.

You're not the only one in the minority. We just returned from our trip using the Fairy Tale Package, and I loved it.

Usually we have AP's and get room discounts with that. We love the convenience of going to the parks whenever we want and for as short a time as we like.

The UPH is great. We were able to go to both water parks and Disneyquest. All for the same price as we would have paid for the hotel alone.

The one advantage that I didn't expect is that we don't have a huge bill waiting for us when we come home because the package had to be prepaid. Not financially sound but from a cash flow perspective it is great.

We are not going next year (that's what I said this past January too) so I'm going to start saving so that we can take advantage of any package deals that will be available in 2005.

Not being able to visit other attractions doesn't matter to me because as it was we were only there for 8 days and we didn't have the time to do everything we wanted to do onsite.

This is a good business idea for Disney and as others have said only time will tell about how it affects their regular patrons. I would like to know what percentage of their guests are frequent visitors. I'll bet the number isn't that high. So naturally they are going to go after the people who only go once every 10 years.

Have a super day!!

Well as a fellow DVC owner like MikeJ and Mbb all we ever do is go to Disney and we are now buying AP's it really is cheaper in the long run for us anyhow as all we do is take 2 trips in the year all by backing our second trip for the next year up by 2 weeks then we get 2 trips our of our AP's plus for those that have them they have quite good room discounts with the AP rates.

We've looked at the APs too, and that's what we'll probably get for this trip, and "bump" up next year by heading for WDW right after Christmas/first of Jan...UPH's for 15 days is just WAY too expensive...we really would like to do Disney Quest, and that's just going to cost a little more...

I do agree that the package deals are a great way to travel, and if we weren't DVC, that's how we'd go this year... I just hate feeling like those who book early (11mos for us:D ) are left second guessing, or changing plans at the later minutes in order to take advantage of what "seems" like better rates...of course, my husband always smiles at me on Main Street and says he doesn't care how much it costs...we're here, and its all good...love that man! Goodness knows he must love me!:crazy:

Maybe Disney should look at (yet another) ticket category..."premium- APs- at- Florida -residents -rates- for -non-residents- who- book-330-days-prior-to-travel"...egads!:earseek:
...aaahhh, but then I'd have to fret over airfares;)

We don't have to worry about flights we just drive we leave after diner usualy then drive to Valdosta and stop for the night then on to Disney the morning afterthere is 5 of us in the car this trip should be fun can't wait.

... and at the rate the Canadian dollar is rising, you'll have "at par" deals before you know it anyway!!!!! Is 80 cents by December out of the question? Heck, it might make it by the end of this week!!!:D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter