Internet access

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
This is probably an unnecessary question that only an obsessive planner would ask ;), but what do you do to access the free internet in the DVC resorts?

I'll be taking my netbook with me for the first time to a DVC resort, and have used it before only in resorts with WiFi. Is it as simple as just connecting the cable, or will I be given complicated instructions / passwords, etc.? Should my netbook automatically connect?

(If I've got nothing more important to worry about than this, things can't be too bad, can they? :teeth: )

Hope some-one comes along & answers this question as DS has asked to take his laptop with him.
Does the lap top automatically reconfigire its self to a internet provider (like the mobile phone does)or do you have to do something complicated, can you tell we have never taken or used laptop abroad before !!

You only need to plug in the cable provided, click on the Disney policy acceptance and you will be online. Used our Samsung NC10 last yesr with no problems. You will have to do the acceptance thing every day as the internet is charged for 24 hours use. Of course you wont pay staying on points but you still have to go through the acceptance screen....

Just to add to epcot1stfave reply. If you do have a problem connecting (which I did) just ring the helpline number and they will talk you in using a hidden link. Very fast and efficient service and best of all free for DVC.

Thank you for the info, epcot1stfav and Paddyshack! It sounds re-assurringly simple :surfweb:

Hope some-one comes along & answers this question as DS has asked to take his laptop with him.
Does the lap top automatically reconfigire its self to a internet provider (like the mobile phone does)or do you have to do something complicated, can you tell we have never taken or used laptop abroad before !!

Glad I'm not the only one who wonders about these things ;)

This is an interesting thread as I will be taking my netbook to SSR for the first time in July. Do I need to take any cables with me? :confused3 (Except for the power cable obviously!
Thanks

This is an interesting thread as I will be taking my netbook to SSR for the first time in July. Do I need to take any cables with me? :confused3 (Except for the power cable obviously!
Thanks

The ethernet cable that connects to the wall socket and your computer will be in a little bag hanging in your closet in the room (if it's missing you can just call and get one brought to your room). No need to take anything special along with you :)

Does the Acceptance policy show up in the internet browser when you open it the first time within 24 hours?

The reason I ask is, since I only have an iPhone, I was planning on bringing my WiFi Router with me, so I can still use the free Internet with my iPhone. But of course I would only be able to accept the internet policy if it shows up in a browser.

Has anyone on here already used the DVC internet with an iPhone?

Does the Acceptance policy show up in the internet browser when you open it the first time within 24 hours?

The reason I ask is, since I only have an iPhone, I was planning on bringing my WiFi Router with me, so I can still use the free Internet with my iPhone. But of course I would only be able to accept the internet policy if it shows up in a browser.

Would it work with an i touch?? I bought the disney app and could not figure out how to login to the internet when we were there in April:confused3

Everything is done through a browser.

When you try to connect to the internet the page automatically diverts to the Access page where you have to get the terms and an accept button for the $9.95 charge to your room. Note that you still get and have to click this button even if you're DVC and staying on points just the charge won't go to your room.

I've never connected via a router/wifi personally however I've seen a lot of people on the main DVC forum comment that they do it (they keep the router in their Owners Locker) so seems to be definitely possible :)

Hope that helps!

The ethernet cable that connects to the wall socket and your computer will be in a little bag hanging in your closet in the room (if it's missing you can just call and get one brought to your room). No need to take anything special along with you :)

Thanks Disneymad!

I have connected many times at different disney resorts. I frequently have to ring their helpline as it just won't connect. Sometimes they do sort it out quickly (as long as you can follow their instructions!) but sometimes they need to send an engineer (or even 2 on one occasion when it took them several days to work out they had done some faulty connections on their server!) Don't mind the frustration quite so much now we don't have to pay at DVC resorts.

when i tried to use the wireless internet at CBR they charged me and the internet never quite worked it would work for 10 seconds at a time then time out and not work for 5 minutes and then kick back in... i was told there was no problem with the internet and it was my computer but how come my wifi at home works fine? i didn't bother with it after wasting the first 10 bucks.

Hrrm, interesting. I've used the Hi-Speed internet at OKW, BWV and Saratoga Springs, had no issues.

Could your problem at CBR have been down to some sort of Firewall on your router perhaps? Certain Ports not open at home that need to be open at the resort?

Differing configurations could deffo cause potential problems (either at WDW when you arrive or back home if you change something at resort) - as WDW don't offer WiFi their support presumably is a bit iffy too and they might not even know how to fix any issues.

Incidentally, when I turned my laptop on last year at OKW I was picking up someone else's wifi because they didn't password protect their connection.

Just connect the cable and start up your web browser. Accept the terms, and off you go. I wish they had WiFi, but no dice.

As for using the free Internet in the rooms at DVC, there is nö difference between the iPhone and iPod Touch. For both you will need a wireless router, for example the Airport Express from Apple. You then have your own wireless network. This you access as you would at home.

We stayed at BCV last Sept. I took my wireless router with me and had absolutely no problems setting it up and using my Iphone!
My route did not lose any of it's settings in transit, so it was a simple case of plugging the ethernet cable into the router and powering up! My Iphone recognised my router, just as if I was at home, so all's I had to do was open the web browser to any site and it automatically redirected me to the Disney in-room Internet website. Follow the on screen instructions (once every 24 hours mind) and away you go!
I had no connection issues. Only downside was the fact that I was only getting a 0.5 meg connection on average. It peaked at 1 meg during the night (low use), so found it quite slow at times.

I plan on taking it for our upcoming trip in Dec - much easier to take the tiny router & iPhone, rather than a laptop!!!

However - one small tip. If you have fixed IP settings like me then I recommend changing the DNS
servers to the same that are being allocated to your router from Disney. If you are using dynamically assigned IP addresses (auto) then ignore this!
Brandis said:

You only need to plug in the cable provided, click on the Disney policy acceptance and you will be online. Used our Samsung NC10 last yesr with no problems. You will have to do the acceptance thing every day as the internet is charged for 24 hours use. Of course you wont pay staying on points but you still have to go through the acceptance screen....

yeah..yeah..I want to try this..thanks dude!:yay:

Does anyone know if to connect an Airport Express to the Internet outlet in the room, is a normal or a crossover cable needed?

Also, the cable provided in the room probably is a normal, non-crossover one, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter