Information on Port Orleans Riverside(Dixie Landings)???

2ndvice

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney for 2 weeks in July. We usually stay at the All Stars but this year we booked the Port Orleans Riverside, formerly the Dixie Landings. I really need some feedback from someone who has stayed here and tell me what it is like. Good points? Bad points? Maybe some helpful advice..Thanks. I am traveling with my hubby and 2 kids 8 & 12.

My mother and I stayed there two years ago, and I loved it. It is a beautiful resort. We stayed in the Mansions, in Magnolia Terrace, which I thought had the best location of all the Mansions (I know there are Alligator Bayou buildings that are closer to the food court & such, but I'm not sure of the building numbers, since we didn't stay in that section.) Our building was right next to a pathway that went to Ole Man Island (Main pool area) and then continued over the bridge to the main building that houses the lobby, food court, restaurant, etc. We were also right next to one of the quiet pools. While we loved the mansions, I've heard many people preferred the rustic atmosphere of the Alligator Bayou section of the resort - I would pick whichever theme appeals to you more. The bus service was efficient, and we used it quite a bit, even though we had a rental car. We usually ate breakfast in the food court, and the food was fine. We also ate in the restaurant at the resort (can't recall the name at the moment) a couple of times, and had very good meals (breakfast and dinner).

I would definitely recommend the resort - very pretty, relaxing atmosphere, great service. I have heard that the boat to DD is no longer running, which is a drawback - we used that a few times in the evening - but I don't think it woudl be enough to keep me from staying there again. If you have any specific questions that I can try to help with, let me know.

Only tip I'd add is to try to use the Main Bus Stop. We always did, and sometimes at that time of year, the bus would fill up before all the bus stops, then go directly to the park, leaving people at the last couple bus stops to stare (and probably curse inside) as the bus went whizzing by.
I agree about Magnolia Terrace-don't miss sitting in the Gazebo. I've stayed on both sides of the resort, and love both sides, but if I am in the mansions, Magnolia Terrace is my favorite (and I've stayed in each of the 4 on different trips).
And look for those big sticky buns in the food court. Unfortunately, we didn't discover them until our fifth trip. Well, I suppose there's an advantage-if I'd discovered them sooner, I'd really be waddling by now!

Our family has stayed at POR twice once in 2000 and this past Feb.The boat to downtown disney was not running and we missed it,but if business picks up maybe it will be back in the summer.(I am just guessing)Our visit in 2000 was wonderful and prompted us to choose the resort again.This time we noticed some differences but I am sure it was due to the resort going to almost full usage in the 2 weeks we were there.I found everyone there friendly and willing to go the extra mile for you.We stayed in the masions both times.Magnolia was located closest to the bridge to the themed pool and the food court.We were moved this last trip due to termites in my brothers room and ended up in the Acadia building(right beside magnolia with the quiet pool in between the buildings)The walk was a bit longer but the grounds are so nice that we did not mind.There is fishing on site,my daughters had hairwraps done and enjoyed it.We ate at the food court most evenings and usually picked up breakfast there.They had a burger place(chicken fingers,actual fried chicken pieces,philly cheese steak,and hot dogs,plus fries ,there was a grilled chicken sandwich which you could have with fries or a fruit cup)a pasta place(linguine and marinara(it was bland)and pizza,and garlic breadsand minstrone soup,There was a soup and salad spot also,with tossed salad with chicken strips,caesar salad with chicken,taco salad,nachos,macaroni and cheese for the kids,and soup(it was chicken noodle and quite good)they also had sub sandwiches served with potatoe salad,macaroni salad or coleslaw.They also had a bakery /ice cream parlour(hand scouped ice cream)In the morning there was pancakes,eggs ect.There were fruit and cheese plates in the cooler,tossed salads,fruit cups and jello.
We also ate at Boatwrights(the sit down restaurant for the resort) for dinner and enjoyed it
If the french quarter is open you will be able to walk there and use their pool(it is quite a walk but we enjoyed it)
I would recommend using the south depot(the oneoutside the gift shop)to catch the bus it is the first stop at the resort and you can usually get a seat.Then find out if your building is close to another bus stop so you can get off there for your return.I hope this helps.I am not sure what you know and don't know.

Hi, 2ndvice, and welcome to the Dis.

You'll have a wonderful, magical time. They have wonderful walkways all over the resort. Don't forget to take a beautiful boat launch to WDW Downtown Disney Marketplace. It is a relaxing and fun trip.

Here are some links for Frequently asked questions and a MAP and Photos and guest's Comments .

Have a magical vacation.

Sincerely, RaySharpton :)

We stayed in the Bayou part in 2000. We had Building 14 - its non-smoking- its maybe 3 minutes walk to the main bus stop, 3 minutes to the food court-- which we found great, and about 4 minutes to the main pool. We enjoyed the "quiet pool" by building 16 I think, more because it was less crowded and right by the laundry room.
The walks were all very enjoyable . We had a bottom floor room with landscape view-- room 1431. There were little bunnies hopping around here and there.. We loved it there..

One thing we didn't make time for that I wish we had was to ride the bikes around the resort. I can't think of the proper name for them- but the four of you can ride together.

Have a lovely time!!!

We have stayed there 2x and really enjoyed it. But, I have to say after staying at ASMO this past September, I would have a hard time paying more money to go back to DXL. The only thing I found better at DxL was Bob the piano player in the lounge, and from what I hear he is gone. Everything else at ASMO measured up to or exceeds DxL, IMO.

Just to add - I have to agree with other posters about using the main bus stop. If you are headed to the food court or Boatwright's for breakfast, this is easier anyway. After you have breakfast, just head out the front entrance through the lobby to the bus stop.

This is my favorite moderate resort. We have stayed there many times because we like the relaxing atmosphere and the food court. Not to mention Boatwrights and the entertainter in the lounge. Often we would walk down to POFQ and have breakfast in their food court, really good beniegts. We usually request Magnolia Bend, Oak Manor & Parterre Place is close to the main building. They are just over the bridge and down the sidewalk. It is a lovely resort and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

We stayed at the Riverside last month... Bayou section because the mansion rooms were still closed. Since you are going with 2 children I think you'll be very happy if you get the Bayou. We were in Building 38 which had no view of any parking lot, was secluded, quiet, and wonderful. Staff in all areas of Riverside were wonderfully accomodating. Have a great time!!

One of my goals in life (I know, I'm such a lofty person.....NOT!) is to stay at each resort at least once.

Having said that, I'm going back to PO-R in only 4 days! Since this is a "major stress decompression trip", I needed a resort I could afford that would have the most relaxing atmosphere. (Only spending about 1/2 my time at the parks)

I'm looking forward to strolling amongst the fountains, taking sunrise pictures of the river, ducks, bunnies and simply relaxing and "regrouping" my spirit. Dixie Landings/Port-Orleans Riverside is just the resort for that.

Old Man Swimming Hole (?) is perfect for kids because it has a small water slide and other diversions but the quiet pools were deserted when my sister and I went down in May, 2000. I'm looking forward to some mid-day peace and reflection in a quiet pool.

So, needless to say, PO-R is my favorite resort for just slowing down and relaxing. The grounds are beautiful, the animals are funny (just TRY cranking that pellet machine w/o attracting momma duck and her babies!) and the location to Epcot and MGM can't be beat! You'll have a wonderful trip! :D

You said:

"and the location to Epcot and MGM can't be beat!"

We'll be at POR in about 45 days! What's the best way to get to Epcot and MGM from POR? Did you use Disney buses, or your own car? About how long is the ride?

Thanks!!

Judith L

Adopt a homeless Siamese! http://www.SiameseRescue.org

According to my Passporter map, PO is nestled between the Downtown Disney Area and the Epcot Area (which includes Disney-MGM Studios).

Since my two favorite parks are Epcot and Disney Studios, I'm right next door. I usually take the bus so the ride won't be as long as it would be to Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom. I'll also have a rental car so I can go offsite to pick up Pepsi (I'm not a huge Coke fan and Disney only sells Coca-Cola).

I've never tried to actually WALK to DTO Dis, but I heard it can be done. I want to see (this trip) if it's possible to walk from Epcot Int'l Gateway to Disney Studios and how long that'll take. I got nuthin' but time on this trip!

Hope this helps! If you're interested in the Passporter, you can get a copy at your local bookstore (2002 edition should be in now or very soon) or you can order it online at www.passporter.com

Have a great trip! :D

PO-R (Dixie Landings) gets my vote also for favorite moderates resort. My favorite spot to stay in is also Magnolia Terrace.

It is so beautiful there...the grounds rival (if not beat) the grounds of the major full service resorts.

Have a great time...

Last time we were there the boats were so slow we walked to BW from the studios it took 15mins. The boat from MGM to EPCOT took an hour with all their stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter