Increased security effort by Uber

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
This morning Uber drivers nationwide got a notification that we will be subjected to more frequent "selfie" verification. This is a security/rider safety measure Uber uses to make sure the person behind the wheel is the same person they have conducted a background check on. It's invisible to the riders, but it's actually one of the best rider safety features Uber has.

During the process of going online, Uber drivers are occasionally required to take a quick selfie with the Uber Driver app. That photo is then confirmed by facial recognition software, and if everything is correct, the driver is allowed to go online and get ride requests. If not, starting today, the account will be immediately deactivated.

We think the increased use of this safety feature is probably bogus drivers using other people's accounts to drive illegally. I personally would love to see them require a selfie on every single airport ride, but I'm sure they won't go that far.

Please REMEMBER: Before you get in that car, check to be sure the face behind the wheel is the same as that shown on your rider app. It's your best safety protection, and if the picture doesn't match, neither you nor Uber has any idea who is driving that car.

Lyft, incidentally, does NOT have this safety feature. My picture on my Lyft account is from three years ago.

That's good news, kudos to Uber for doing it. Hopefully Lyft will setup soon!

We got a Lyft at GF earlier this month. The app said the car was a Toyota. A car pulled up and I jumped in. The guy said a name, wasn’t mine! Our car was about 30 seconds after. Lesson learned - check the plate!

The guy said a name, wasn’t mine! Our car was about 30 seconds after. Lesson learned - check the plate!
Been there, done that, but it was worse and I hadn't been drinking...

Waiting at at hotel with my staff team, I'm told we're in a White Dodge Caravan, one pulls up, the Valet staff must have heard that said too since they open all the doors, I hop in. The driver asks what's going on, valet says aren't you here to pick these people up? He says, no I'm checking in. Yeah always check the plates! *blush*

The thing that would really help would be a plate on the front of the car. I realize some states dont require it, but man, it sure would make things easier. And if it’s dark out, it’s hard to see a face to match. You have to go up to the car and practically stick your head in!

The thing that would really help would be a plate on the front of the car. I realize some states dont require it, but man, it sure would make things easier. And if it’s dark out, it’s hard to see a face to match. You have to go up to the car and practically stick your head in!

Yep.

The recent tragedy in SC maybe wouldn’t have happened if that state had front plates. Maybe.

Apart from car color, all of the info you need about the car (for a person like me who can’t always tell the Hyundai H from the Honda H at a glance) tends to be on the *back* of the car. It’s difficult.

But I never even imagined that a driver might let someone else drive for them. Yikes.

Yep.

The recent tragedy in SC maybe wouldn’t have happened if that state had front plates. Maybe.

Apart from car color, all of the info you need about the car (for a person like me who can’t always tell the Hyundai H from the Honda H at a glance) tends to be on the *back* of the car. It’s difficult.
My experience has been that people who are concerned about safety just walk 8-10 feet to the back of the car and look at the tag. Or at least confirm my name.

Those who are not concerned (or who are drunk) just jump right in. The rideshare companies have a whole menu of safety features, but many riders don't use any of them.
But I never even imagined that a driver might let someone else drive for them. Yikes.
It's a problem in many big cities, unfortunately. Create any system and someone will immediately start trying to game that system -- especially if there is money involved.

Those who are not concerned (or who are drunk) just jump right in. The rideshare companies have a whole menu of safety features, but many riders don't use any of them.

The biggest safety feature they are in fact using. Which is not driving drunk.

The biggest safety feature they are in fact using. Which is not driving drunk.
True for the drunks. But a huge majority of Uber passengers are NOT drunk at all. The club-closing drunk runs are a very small part of their business.

And...if you're drunk, stumbling out of a college bar in Columbia, SC at 2 AM, and get into the wrong car...

People who are drinking need to consider safety issues beyond just not driving. There are other risks in life.

I don't think asking people to take an extra 10 steps to look at the back license plate is that hard.

I don't think asking people to take an extra 10 steps to look at the back license plate is that hard.

It’s not physically hard.
It’s awkward. It feels like “I don’t trust you” right before trusting them to drive you safely.

It would be nice if all states had plates on the front.

Of course I’m still thinking about my second to last Lyft trip, which was shortly before this thread. The driver was wearing SO much makeup (like beyond kardashian levels) that she could almost have been anyone underneath it. Her picture on the app did have the same makeup, though. So if it was a friend they spent a lot of time copying it!

It’s not physically hard.
It’s awkward. It feels like “I don’t trust you” right before trusting them to drive you safely.
As a driver, I don't find it awkward at all. Whenever a rider does that to me, I thank them for being careful -- AND I know I have a savvy rider who is not going to be one bit of trouble.

Of course I’m still thinking about my second to last Lyft trip, which was shortly before this thread. The driver was wearing SO much makeup (like beyond kardashian levels) that she could almost have been anyone underneath it. Her picture on the app did have the same makeup, though. So if it was a friend they spent a lot of time copying it!
Let me guess -- hair heavily slicked back into a ponytail, shaved makeup eyebrows, every other word spoken was "...like?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter