Inappropriate Work Attire

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, your right, I don't really like them. But thats only HALF the issue. The other issue is the HEAD TO TOE SPANDEX!!! It aint pretty!

spandex.jpg

Perhaps not, but I've seen plenty of heinous business suits too. My advice is to look the other way. Since you "lock yourself in my office" when they come in, it shouldn't be hard to avoid them and their offensive clothes.

Perhaps not, but I've seen plenty of heinous business suits too. My advice is to look the other way. Since you "lock yourself in my office" when they come in, it shouldn't be hard to avoid them and their offensive clothes.

I lock myself in my office? Wow, I didn't even know I had a key!!! ;)

As I said, I don't have anything to do with the realtor side of the office, hence the reason I dont have anything directly to do with these women - but its another reason I don't think HEAD TO TOE SPANDEX is appropriate since its not just a realty office.

To clarify.... Generally, I don't really care what people wear while going out. At the mall, at the movies, out to dinner - I'm not really looking at others, so I don't really care - and if its really bad, it can sometimes be a form of entertainment - lol. But at work, I just don't think its appropiate. No matter if they are realtors with set hours or not, I just think you should have a little more respect for your office than to wear all over spandex.
I think it also has something to do with the fact that the few women that do this, I can't stand for reasons other than their attire. They are loud, obnoxus (sp?) and when they walk into the office, I hide in my office!!! I really have nothing to do with them, or the reality part of the office, so I can easly stay away from them, but you can't excape their loud obnoxus voices.

Silly Jennasis!! She doesn't LOCK or BARRACADE herself in her office-she just hides!!! :rotfl2:

I'd wager they wear HEAD TO TOE SPANDEX just to watch you run hide in your office. ;)

I'd wager they wear HEAD TO TOE SPANDEX just to watch you run hide in your office. ;)

Wow, thats a really rude thing to say. So sorry if I don't find it appropriate for people to dress a certain way in an office setting. All you feel the need to flame away, and attack me personally. I'm sure you and your buddies will have more whitty comments after this. After all, we are allowed our own personal feelings, right? Just don't air them on here as long as everyone else doesn't feel the same way.

Wow, thats a really rude thing to say. So sorry if I don't find it appropriate for people to dress a certain way in an office setting. All you feel the need to flame away, and attack me personally. I'm sure you and your buddies will have more whitty comments after this. After all, we are allowed our own personal feelings, right? Just don't air them on here as long as everyone else doesn't feel the same way.

I don't have any "buddies here" - and after you have graced us with your opinion several times on how they "ain't pretty in spandex", I guess I felt like airing my personal opinion, too. Or isn't that ok if I don't agree with you?

I don't have any "buddies here" - and after you have graced us with your opinion several times on how they "ain't pretty in spandex", I guess I felt like airing my personal opinion, too. Or isn't that ok if I don't agree with you?

:thumbsup2 Your right! I mean, I was stating how I felt about people in my office coming in wearing innapropriate clothing, and your stating something rude about me - about how people in my office (people you don't know) MUST feel about me (again, someone you don't know). You said it to be rude, and hurtfull.

ETA - If you don't like the tread, just don't open it. Simple as that.

I have to agree with the OP. While its true that these agents are on their own time, they are still entering a professional office with customers. I have no problem running into the grocery store or Target in my workout clothes after hitting the gym (running shorts/tshirt), but I would feel very uncomfortable going into my place of business (a professional office) in that attire. Not only would I personally feel uncomfortable, but I don't think customers should see me dressed that way and in the office as an employee. Its just unprofessional.

I wouldn't have an issue either if they aren't meeting clients. I have a couple of friends who are realtors. They do run in occasionally. They dress up for showings and closings--but if they are just doing phone work or whatever else they might run to the office for, they might be more casual.

I do know that they are practically available by phone all day long and perhaps they were in the middle of something and a client wanted some properties printed out. My friends will run to the office to do that (if it is close) and then run home and change or whatever.

When I have them show me houses--I always tell them they don't need to dress up for me and they can bring the kids along as well. No sense in paying for a sitter when my kids are friends with their kids.

Honestly, I haven't seen what your realtors are wearing--but I doubt they are meeting with clients in that get up.

I do agree that maintaining a professional look in a professional setting is important. But I also know that (around here anyway) realtor work is mostly a nights and weekends kind of job. Very few showings during business hours since the clients have work to go to themselves.

:thumbsup2 Your right! I mean, I was stating how I felt about people in my office coming in wearing innapropriate clothing, and your stating something rude about me - about how people in my office (people you don't know) MUST feel about me (again, someone you don't know). You said it to be rude, and hurtfull.

For what it's worth, it's more rude to comment on someones personal appearance.

And also, virtually no clients ever come into a real estate office. We do our business from our homes, on the road, or meet clients elsewhere. Obviously the boss doesn't have a problem with it. Stop attacking people for their personal appearance, on top of rude, it's downright mean and petty and just shows that there are some insecurities within the person judging.

OP, I think you're getting all the flames because some are taking your comments as fat bashing. I personally don't think that was your intention. But for some, you've touched upon a hot button issue. I'd cut my losses and stop responding.

I wouldn't have an issue either if they aren't meeting clients. I have a couple of friends who are realtors. They do run in occasionally. They dress up for showings and closings--but if they are just doing phone work or whatever else they might run to the office for, they might be more casual.

I do know that they are practically available by phone all day long and perhaps they were in the middle of something and a client wanted some properties printed out. My friends will run to the office to do that (if it is close) and then run home and change or whatever.

When I have them show me houses--I always tell them they don't need to dress up for me and they can bring the kids along as well. No sense in paying for a sitter when my kids are friends with their kids.

Honestly, I haven't seen what your realtors are wearing--but I doubt they are meeting with clients in that get up.

I do agree that maintaining a professional look in a professional setting is important. But I also know that (around here anyway) realtor work is mostly a nights and weekends kind of job. Very few showings during business hours since the clients have work to go to themselves.

As I said, I have nothing to do with the realtor part, so I don't know for sure, but I really doubt (hope) they are meeting clients looking like that, just coming into the office. And I have no problem with people coming into an office dressed down - I'm wearing jeans and a nice shirt right now (with a jacket over it because some of the guys in here think its great to put the A/C at 60!!!!) - its just the spandex that I have a problem with. One was here for several hours in it. I have no idea if she is about to go to the gym or what, but I just feel like if you are going to go to the gym after working for hours, you can get dressed at the gym.

I go and play tennis after work many days - I don't come in a tennis skirt!!!!

OK, it's alright to be mean & hurtful behind the back of your co-workers that you know, but not ok on a message board. Got it.

No one comes into realtor offices? Really? I guess I'm the exception. I've purchased 3 homes in my lifetime and all three times, I've spent time in the realtor office. And we were not the only customers in the office on any occasion. One office we walked into LOOKING for a realtor to show us some homes. If I had walked in and saw the agents dressed in workout clothes, I would have taken my business elsewhere. When making a transaction in the neighborhood of half a million dollars, I want to work with a professional. That's not to say that they should be dressed to the nines, but I would expect at the very least to see business casual in an office environment.

Silly Jennasis!! She doesn't LOCK or BARRACADE herself in her office-she just hides!!! :rotfl2:

You're right. I apologize OP. I should have said , "I hide in my office"...mea culpa.

I stand by my original sentiment though...since you are hiding in your office, it shouldn't be hard to ignore the offensively dressed ladies. You may even miss them completely!:thumbsup2

OP, I think you're getting all the flames because some are taking your comments as fat bashing. I personally don't think that was your intention. But for some, you've touched upon a hot button issue. I'd cut my losses and stop responding.

Stop posting?? Whats the fun in that???? ;)

Anyway, I'm in no way fat-bashing. If you look at my sig, you will see that I've lost about 90lbs (gain some back with my birthday :sad1:) and I still have about 20lbs to go. Anyway, these women aren't fat - there not "tone" but not fat either. It has nothing to do with their weight, just the fact that yes, customers do come in here, this is not just a realtor office (which I've stated several times) and its just not appropriate.

No one comes into realtor offices? Really? I guess I'm the exception. I've purchased 3 homes in my lifetime and all three times, I've spent time in the realtor office./QUOTE]

We've only gone for offer paperwork. Closing was done at a mortgage company. For the paperwork bit, it was still after hours and we went straight to a conference room, not to the actual desks of the realtors.

Our MLS is on line--for where we leave--it just isn't critical to walk into a realtor's office.

Sadly--the 80s are back and it includes spandex.:eek: So perhaps it is a retro look?

OP--I would just leave it alone.

What has happened to the Dis? You people are ridiculous. Are you 12? The OP has tried to explain her point over and over, but you just don't want to listen. Its just ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Get over yourselves people and grow up.

This post will be locked in 3...2...1....

As I said, I have nothing to do with the realtor part, so I don't know for sure, but I really doubt (hope) they are meeting clients looking like that, just coming into the office. And I have no problem with people coming into an office dressed down - I'm wearing jeans and a nice shirt right now (with a jacket over it because some of the guys in here think its great to put the A/C at 60!!!!) - its just the spandex that I have a problem with. One was here for several hours in it. I have no idea if she is about to go to the gym or what, but I just feel like if you are going to go to the gym after working for hours, you can get dressed at the gym.

I go and play tennis after work many days - I don't come in a tennis skirt!!!!
You know, to many people, your jeans would be just as inappropriate as spandex. Think about that for a minute.

No one comes into realtor offices? Really? I guess I'm the exception. I've purchased 3 homes in my lifetime and all three times, I've spent time in the realtor office. ...
I don't have a clue where our realtor's office is. I've been in her car and her home, but never her office.
If I had walked in and saw the agents dressed in workout clothes, I would have taken my business elsewhere. When making a transaction in the neighborhood of half a million dollars, I want to work with a professional.
I wouldn't. I'm buying a house, not an agent. Once the transaction is over, I do not keep up a personal relationship with the person. Therefore, I could care less what about his/her wardrobe.

Wow, so sorry I logged on today, and had an opinion. I think some of you really need to take a long hard look into yourselves and see why you are attacking someone who is simply stating a thought about what is appropriate to wear to work. I never said anything about their weight, you assumed that.

FYI - This does not mean I'll be leaving or even taking a break from the Dis. I'm not going to get pushed out by bullies who have nothing better to do than sit at their computer and show their true colors.

I will go to my grave saying NO SPANDEX AT WORK and if some morons have a problem with that, then go ahead and wear your spandex to work, to the mall, to the food store. Just more for me to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter