• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In Memory Of Sylvia

Blondie

~*~*~*~<br><font color=blue>This TF always enjoys
Out of respect for Sylvia I'd like to start a memorial thread. She was one of our own, she was "us." She cared for her son, and animals with a vengeance. She fought the good fight, but in the end, God wanted her more than she could resist.

Please add your condolences and insight on breast cancer so that none of us will forget what a terrible disease this is, and so that we may all realize that life is so precious and so short.

Rest in peace Sylvia, you are amongst the angels now.:(

It is a sad day when we lose someone from our circle of friends.

Let's be thoughtful about how we treat those who remain with us.

Nice thoughts, Blondie. I'd like to come back and post something more thoughtful when it doesn't hurt so much.

Thanks for caring.

It often takes a jolt in life to remind us of the truly important things that matter......

Hopefully Sylvia's passing is leaving us here at the Dis with a renewed sense of self, family, and friends. I know that I will walk with "fresher eyes" today, and live a bit more lovingly with my family and friends..........

Oh no! I didn't know. I am so, so sorry to hear this. :(

Rest in peace Sylvia.

I remember that Sylvia was one of the very first moderators to respond to a post I started. I maybe had 20 posts, and as a DIS youngin', that made me feel good.

I had a many more exchanges with her after that. She had a brilliant sense of humor and I enjoyed her post a lot. I feel a little more hollow today then I did yesterday...and I think we all do.

I hope she is at peace, and I hope her son will be OK. Dying is part of the circle of life we all belong to and we see it every day.

But still....it hurts to lose a friend. :(

I didn't know Sylvia the way some of you did, but I can remember reading her posts, even recently, where she continued to remain positive with each and every one, and would even respond to some of my silliness with a friendly and smiling post. She was obviously a woman of incredible strength and a heart to match.

My heart hurts so for her son! :(

I send my deepest sympathies to all of you who knew Sylvia. If I could post clip art, I'd add a pink ribbon to my signature....the symbol of breast cancer awareness.

In Sylvia's honor, let's all remember the importance of regular breast exams and mammograms. All you men out there, please encourage your wives, mothers, daughters to do the same.

God bless Sylvia. May she rest in peace.

I only wish I had known Sylvia better, but she always stood out to me, as I know she did to everyone, as a very special, sweet lady. I hope that her brave fight will remind us all how important it is to take every precaution with our own health, so that her death might not be in vain. May she rest forever with God and His angels.

I didn't know her except through her posts. I always liked her and enjoyed reading what she would write. I am saddened by her passing, and the thought of her son not growing up with her by his side. She will be missed by us, but maybe Heaven will have a special place for us DIS'ers because she is there.

Sadly, I didn't learn of Sylvia until after her passing. She is the second person I have known who loved all things Disney and was also taken by breast cancer. My friend Denise died almost 4 years ago. At her funeral, the pastor talked about her love for Mickey Mouse, and at the end of her eulogy said she was now singing "M-I-C (see ya' real soon) K-E-Y (Why? Because God and I love you) M-O-U-S-E. Now I have a feeling that Denise isn't singing alone.

ribbon2cp.gif
I did get to know Sylvia probably the best of anyone on the DIS. I only feel sad that I did not go and visit her in life. :( I thought of it several times and always put it off. :( Never should have.

I guess it was because of Marie, and her being a current breast cancer survivor, that pulled me so very tight to Sylvia. Over the course of the past 18 months, I did get to know her quite well, first by email and ICQ, then by phone for the past 7 months. She was very full of life and dealt with her illness in a brave, matter-of-fact way. She addressed it and tried to bravely beat, alas, not being able to. :(

People do survive though, Marie, and her mom, are examples to me.

<center>Give yourself a breast exam once a month,
and get a mammogram once a year.
Remember that mammograms are the best means
of detecting breast cancer early
</center>

I will always remember Sylvia for offering her advice and support when my own mother went in for surgery late last year. It was helpful knowing that a person that did not really know me was willing to offer a shoulder to lean on.

As some may know, I was able to see Sylvia in hospital a few weeks ago. I visited her briefly and now that I look back upon it, I'm so glad I had to chance to talk to her for just a few minutes and put a face to her wonderful clipart.

Sylvia, you will be remembered here. Spread your wings and fly.....

Kevin, I think, if I am correct, that you may be the only DIS person who actually met Sylvia in person. What a special place you will always have in your heart for her. And thanks so much for stopping by. When I talked to her afterward, she was most appreciative to have had you visit her.

Breast cancer effects men as well as women. All of us need to perform monthly self-exams. My sister has been battling breast cancer for a few years now, and I myself had a breast cancer scare last month. For now, I am cancer free, but being female and having a family member with breast cancer, I will always have to worry about this dreaded disease. I am sitting here in tears now after having viewed the lovely photos that Dan was so kind to post of Sylvia. Just today I did my small part (before I learned of Sylvia’s death) and bought my Breast Cancer Research stamps at my local US Post Office. Those are the only kinds of stamps that I buy. I also support the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and other breast cancer foundations. I have lost friends to breast cancer, most recently last year. And I have other friends who are battling it right now. Every day I pray for a cure and will continue to pray and donate my time & money to that cause until the cure is found.

God Bless Sylvia and her family.

Ironically, I had my first mammography on the day that Sylvia died. It seems so ridiculous now that I was worried about whether or not it would hurt.

My most fond memory of Sylvia was her sense of humor. Once, long ago and far away, we both lost our temper over something trivial. Not at each other, but at a particular situation. She sent me an email that made me laugh, and at the same time, made me realize how inconsequential the particular situation was. Sylvia was a fine example of someone who lived each day to its fullest, truly an inspiration to me.

This tragedy will live in all of our hearts, and I don't think I'll ever see Eeyore again without feeling a certain sadness. But I will continue to gain strength from Sylvia's courage and strength.

Blessings to all.

Sylvia here (met her at acmepet and chatted on ICQ), I was directed here by our friend Kunder.
I will miss her sense of humor as well, she was so very funny. Even though we never met in person she was one of the few people I could always talk to when things were bad. She touched my life and made me a better person for knowing her.....

Welcome Spooky Pook. I am so touched that you stopped by for a visit and shared your lovely memories of Sylvia. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

Thank you for your kindness Snoopy....
I am glad I was able to add my memoies to all of yours.

My heart felt sympathies to the family also.....This hit me in the gut when I read that Breast Cancer had taken her.

My mom is a 2 year survivor of this disease....I remember how difficult it was for my family in the early stages of moms' diagnosis and treatment.

The medical field has made great strides in prevention and cure for this.......Why can't they save everyone? Makes me wonder sometimes......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter