I'm so scared, please help if you can.

Sonya

Kaki Gori veteran
My DH dropped me off at my parents' house last night and went to run some errands. I had no car and no way of leaving. My parents are remodeling their kitchen and doing some work themselves and some work is being done by my cousin. My dad was proudly showing me around and telling me what he had done when he mentioned the floor. He had taken it out the day before. It was asbestos.:( He said he did everything my cousin had told him to do, he put plastic over the floor when he was cutting, he didn't roll it up and he vacumed after it was over. He also wore a mask. Now there is black paper stuff on the floor that was under the asbestos flooring. My dad is not a professional, my cousin is.
My 1st thought was, I can't believe you didn't tell me when I called that you had done this, I'm 7 months pregnant! And of course I'm worried about them! My mom just got done with her chemo treatments and radiation! My dad didn't seem too concerned and mom just said "Well if I get cancer again so be it!" Like she doesn't care to see her 1st grandchild?
I was only over there 3 hours before DH came and I hurried us out of there.
Is there any danger to me and the baby? What about my parents? And of course I start worring about their pets, does asbestos affect them? Is it really that dangerous or did Dad take the right precautions?
I have a friend whos sister and husband took out their asbestos floor and a short time after that she came down with a cold that wouldn't go away. The Dr took X-rays and told her she had 3 months to live, she died 2 summers ago. I'm so scared! Please tell me if everything is OK or I should be yelling at my parents to get out of the house!

How scary, Sonya! I don't know anything about asbestos, but I recommend you call your OB/GYN as soon as you can, if nothing else to rest your fears.

Keep us posted!

Oh Sonya, no wonder you're scared! I think you should call your ob right away and explain everything and get checked out. This isn't something to fool around with.

I don't know much about asbestos, either. I do know that the problems occur when the asbestos is disturbed. That's when it gets into the air, and you could get it into your lungs.
I agree that you should check with your doc. I hope everything is fine for you and your folks!

((((HUGS)))) You must be so scared! Call your dr. now! I wish I knew more about it...

Let us know what they say.

What they said!!!

I don't know much about asbestos, except that it takes professionals to remove it.
There was a lot of it in my daughters middle school. Of course, they did not remove it until a summer after she was out and on to high school.

Please call your doctor!
Lisa

I'm with everyone else. Call you doctor! He'll know what to do. Please keep us posted.

I would definitely recommend they seek a professional to come over there and take care of it.

I don't think there's much you can do for yourself - damage (if any) I was told would not show up for many years later. But I think you would have to be exposed to it in a large quantity and frequently? I would call your doctor. Please try not to worry.

We found out our ceiling had it and my DH had already torn it down...not much we can do now.

I remember what it was like to be pregnant and worrying about all the possible health dangers around me! Please call your Dr. and try to relax. Stress isnt good for the baby either.
Im sure your exposeure was minimal and your Dr. will be able to reassure you.

Sonya, I agree, call your doctor and urge your parents to get professionals in there to finish the asbestos clean-up.

This may reassure you a little, it's part of an asbestos fact sheet from the National Cancer Institute:

Who is at risk?

Nearly everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life. However, most people do not become ill from their exposure. People who become ill from asbestos are usually those who are exposed to it on a regular basis, most often in a job where they work directly with the material or through substantial environmental contact.

Since the early 1940s, millions of American workers have been exposed to asbestos. Health hazards from asbestos dust have been recognized in workers exposed in shipbuilding trades, asbestos mining and milling, manufacturing of asbestos textiles and other asbestos products, insulation work in the construction and building trades, brake repair, and a variety of other trades. Demolition workers, drywall removers, and firefighters also may be exposed to asbestos dust. As a result of Government regulations and improved work practices, today's workers (those without previous exposure) are likely to face smaller risks than did those exposed in the past.

Although it is known that the risk to workers increases with heavier exposure and longer exposure time, investigators have found asbestos-related diseases in individuals with only brief exposures. Generally, workers who develop asbestos-related diseases show no signs of illness for a long time after their first exposure. It can take from 10 to 40 years for symptoms of an asbestos-related condition to appear.

There is some evidence that family members of workers heavily exposed to asbestos face an increased risk of developing mesothelioma. This risk is thought to result from exposure to asbestos dust brought into the home on the shoes, clothing, skin, and hair of workers. This type of exposure is called paraoccupational exposure. To decrease these exposures, asbestos workers are usually required to shower and change their clothing before leaving the workplace.

How great is the risk?

Not all workers exposed to asbestos will develop diseases related to their exposure. In fact, many will experience no ill effects.

Asbestos that is bonded into finished products such as walls, tiles, and pipes poses no risk to health as long as it is not damaged or disturbed (for example, by sawing or drilling) in such a way as to release fibers into the air. When asbestos particles are set free and inhaled, however, exposed individuals are at risk of developing an asbestos-related disease. Once these fibers work their way into body tissues, they may stay there indefinitely.

The risk of developing asbestos-related diseases varies with the type of industry in which the exposure occurred and with the extent of the exposure. In addition, different types of asbestos fibers may be associated with different health risks. For example, results of several studies suggest that amphibole forms of asbestos are more likely than chrysotile to cause lung cancer, asbestosis, and, in particular, mesothelioma. Even so, no fiber type can be considered harmless, and proper safety precautions should always be taken by people working with asbestos.

Is there a danger of nonoccupational exposure from products contaminated with asbestos particles?

Asbestos is so widely used that the entire population has been exposed to some degree. Air, drinking water, and a variety of consumer products all may contain small amounts of asbestos. In addition, asbestos fibers are released into the environment from natural deposits in the earth and as a result of wear and deterioration of asbestos products. Disease is unlikely to result from a single, high-level exposure, or from a short period of exposure to lower levels of asbestos.

Please keep us posted!!!

I agree with the others.....call your Dr. right away!!
I don't know much about asbestos, but I know they found it at the plant my FIL works at and they are all being tested for it.

Thank you WebmasterMichelle for providing that information to all of us.

Very scary. Please let us know what the doctor says and try not to get too stressed, as someone pointed out. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

I have no real scientific reasoning to back this up, but my "gut feel" (which I think comes from my geology classes where we discussed it a bit) is you'll be fine, your exposure wasn't enough to harm either you or your child. So I wouldn't worry about it, but I *would* talk to the Dr about it ASAP.

*hugs*

Sonya I can't add anymore than other people have already said here but please do call your OBGYN and let him know, he should be able to give you more information. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

yes, call the doctor so that he can reassure you. asbestosis is almost laways the result of long-term exposure and almost always is a lung ailment caused by inhailing the particles over a period of time.

Hopefully your doctor will reassure you. Sorry you're having to go through this extra worry. Please keep us posted.

and WebmasterMichelle - thanks for all of that info. I think we all learned something!

Thanks for finding and posting that info Michelle!! :)

Having worked construction most of my life it has always been my understanding that the health risks posed from asbestos are related to long term exposure. . . but I wasn't sure.

Sonya, I don't blame you a bit for being concerned; I agree with everyone else a call to your doctor would be the best thing to do and I'm pretty sure he/she will tell you it's nothing to be concerned about. . .

Just curious; how does your dad know for sure the flooring contained asbestos? As far as I know, asbestos is something added to different types of materials, and the only way to know for sure if it's present is to contact the manufacturer or send a sample in to be tested. . .

Anyway, sorry you got a scare put into you like that!! I definitely agree your parents should have told you about it before you came over; {{{Hugs}}} and please let us know what your doctor says. .

Thanks everyone, and thanks Michelle. I did call my Dr and she hadn't gotten back to me yet, I feel a little better about myself but am still very worried for my parents, they are living in this! (crazy people) I'll let you know what my Dr says when she calls.

Don't be scared. You will be just fine. Call your doctor if you need to ease your mind but don't let fear ruin your joy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter