Im so glad iI found this place

BarbJ34

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. This board has been so helpful. I go to disney every year but all the great info i had gotten will make this trip the best. I'd like to tell you about myself. Im mom to Samantha. She is a 10 yr old girl with spastic diplegia cp. which basically means her two legs are effected and left arm, and her muscles are very tight. She uses a power wheelchair that she just got in Oct. She was born in my 29th weak of pregnancy,weighing only 3 lbs and suffered a brain bleed. She goes to public school and is doing really well. She plays buddy baseball for our township and 2 yrs ago we were invited to play on the soulth lawn of the white house. We met president Bush and it was really a exciting day. Im married to a great guy who is also disabled. He had taken an extra job at a gas station so I could stay home,one nite it was robbed and he was shot. The bullet entered his arm went thru his stomach and landed in his spinal cord. He is paralized from the weist down. He also uses an electric wheelchair due to his troulble with his left arm. He is very independant,he drives, works ect. Once a yr all 3 of us go to cape May NJ, it is great but alot of work, so My daughter and I go to Disney for "my vacation " as he puts it. Im thankful I can do that and not worry about him(although I do anyway) he is very independant and we have family close by to help if need be.

I just thought Id share my story with everyone. Like I said this board is great and it really helps me not only with planning but to de-stree when I need to. Thank you all!

Welcome! I am glad you introduced yourself! This is an amazing group! Very supportive and very helpful!

It's nice to "meet" you!!;);)

:sunny:

Originally posted by BarbJ34
Im mom to Samantha. She is a 10 yr old girl with spastic diplegia cp. which basically means her two legs are effected and left arm, and her muscles are very tight. She uses a power wheelchair that she just got in Oct. She was born in my 29th weak of pregnancy,weighing only 3 lbs and suffered a brain bleed. She goes to public school and is doing really well.

Welcome Barb. I'm mom to an almost 18 year old daughter, Jackie who also has spastic diplegia CP. She was born at 30 weeks and weighed 2lbs 10oz. Jackie will be graduating in 3 weeks from our local public high school. Next year she starts school at the University of Oklahoma. The time goes so very quickly, seems like only yesterday she was ten too ;) This is a great board for destressing. I often find that it helps me put things in perspective. Welcome aboard :wave:

Hi! You must be beaming with pride! :sunny: That is so great.
It is wonderful to hear that! Thanks for sharing!

Hi.
I've been very busy with life outside the boards and haven't had time to do more than come by and read very often.

I'm glad you like our little spot here. The people who stop by are what makes it great.

I have 2 DDs. The oldest one is graduating (today!) from college with a BA, majoring in Illustration. My youngest DD is 18 and has CP. She has mixed type CP (mostly spastic quad). She's non-verbal, but understands well and is a pro at using her power wheelchair (wish she had gotten it when she was 10). She is in special ed and graduates in June.

BarbJ34, I agree – this place is the best. I was temporarily disabled last year due to a leg injury and surgery to repair that injury. I almost cancelled my WDW vacation because I was very concerned about my health and worried that traveling with a disability would be too much for my family to bear. While I was busy worrying about what to do with my vacation, unbeknownst to me, one of my Dis friends “outted” me over here on the disABILITIES board. My dear friend sent me the link to her thread and it forced me to come here to seek guidance (I love helping others but have a very hard time asking for it for myself). I did a lot of reading on this board, and some posting too, and eventually made an informed decision to move forward with my vacation. The rest, as they say, is history.

I learned so much from the folks here. My family had the most incredible vacation – I honestly think it will be impossible to top. I owe it all to the disABILITIES board and my friends here on the Dis.

Note to SueM in MN: Congrats on both of the grad's in your life -- you must be very proud.
Note to ToriLammy: Congrats on the grad in your life, too. :D

Thanks, Janet. My girls are both very special to me.
And congrats to ToriLammy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter