Illuminations Questions

Is it a ton of smoke? My daughter has asthma and smoke really aggravates it. Should we avoid the show?

When we were there, the ash was more of a problem than the smoke. I am sensitive to smoke as well, and I didn't find it hard to breath or anything, but we could feel the ash falling on us. I wouldn't say avoid the show altogether - just maybe pay attention to the wind direction when you're scoping out your spot.

Is it a ton of smoke? My daughter has asthma and smoke really aggravates it. Should we avoid the show?

It is because of the falling ash that they lock off that area, but it is possible to feel some in other places, depending. It's pretty rare. You shouldn't really be exposed to any smoke unless the wind is really carrying it, bu again that would be pretty rare.

As to the area they lock off, it was pretty rare that they ever opened it, but it did happen. Falling Ash is also why they block off the area outside of the back of the castle at MK. They make the CMs stand there though.

We did the cruise a couple of years ago and didn’t think it worth the money, we split it between four of us so was 100 dollars each including tip. I would much rather do the Frozen Dessert party, you have a great view, some decent deserts and alcohol if you want it( and of course the CM’s are super nice!) We did the Frozen party twice last Christmas and I can’t say enough good things about it, the Frozen ride is a nice little bonus but aside from the great view of Illuminations, which is our favourite, the walk back to the Boardwalk area through an empty park was priceless.

I wouldn't. I usually wait outside an hour before Mexico Sitting just outside the fence with a Margarita and we get a great seat and can usually beat some of the crowd since were closer to the exit.

I've been burned by the ashes as well. Luckily, I wiped it off my face as soon as it landed. There was some commotion around me. After the show, I walked into a gift shop and noticed flecks of ash all over my arms. Underneath were burn marks that lasted about two weeks. I probably should've brought it up to Disney, but at the time I didn't think the marks would disappear quickly.

As for asthma, I have it too. It's easier to escape the smoke at Illuminations if the winds are steady and don't move around (compared to, say, a show at Hollywood Studios), but you'll have to gauge that on the night that you're there.

We have been at the beach club and doing illuminations for 15 Year’s straight . Most of those times we cut it close and do dinner at WS with 5-15 min to spare. This is during Xmas and Easter. At times we are in front row. Other times we are way in back 10-20 yds behind the crowds. In those cases due to slope down we had a 100 % view. Bottom line is at you don’t have to waste fp or do a cruise to get good view and you can show up minutes before the show

When we were there, the ash was more of a problem than the smoke. I am sensitive to smoke as well, and I didn't find it hard to breath or anything, but we could feel the ash falling on us. I wouldn't say avoid the show altogether - just maybe pay attention to the wind direction when you're scoping out your spot.

I have asthma and Illuminations is my fave show and I never have any problems, I just pay attention to which way the wind is blowing in the WS and don't view the show at any of those countries. Also, most issue with the ash and smoke is in the FP or VIP viewing area.

Last edited:
We are going to be staying at the Beach Club for our upcoming trip. On one of our days we are spending the day at the resort and pool complex. But we will be entering EPCOT for dinner that evening with plans to stay for Illuminations.

I have never used a FP+ for Illuminations and have read mixed reviews about the FP area. Is the FP area worth it?

Would anyone suggest it vs finding a good spot in front of Japan/Canada area?

Even a little crazier is the Illuminations Cruise worth the 350 bucks or so vs the FP or finding a good spot?

Just looking for some with some experience an opinions on this please and thanks!
Staying at the Beach Club, I often watch from the bridge right as you enter the park at IG heading towards France. Great viewing spots, far enough away from the smoke, and a quick exit back to your hotel when you're done.

Interesting opinions on this so far.

We have watched Illuminations from many different spots and always felt that there really isn't a bad viewing location. This past trip, we ended up getting a FP+ for it late in the evening, on Dec 28th, so it was a very busy time of year. We all thought the view was incredible, the best we had ever seen. The holiday ending was really amazing from this location. Despite the busy time of year, we did not feel crowded in any way in this location. We stayed at the back railing instead of near the front. No smoke. No ashes.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Would I choose it over Soarin' or TT? Never in a million years. However, if you can get it later in the day after you are done all your rides, it is well worth it.

We enjoyed the FP section, last time was in January. We also have shared Illumination cruises around 5 times, plus we watch from the bridge when we are staying at an Epcot resort. It’s my favorite night show.

We are going to be staying at the Beach Club for our upcoming trip. On one of our days we are spending the day at the resort and pool complex. But we will be entering EPCOT for dinner that evening with plans to stay for Illuminations.

I have never used a FP+ for Illuminations and have read mixed reviews about the FP area. Is the FP area worth it?

Would anyone suggest it vs finding a good spot in front of Japan/Canada area?

Even a little crazier is the Illuminations Cruise worth the 350 bucks or so vs the FP or finding a good spot?

Just looking for some with some experience an opinions on this please and thanks!
I have not used a FP for it but might if I could get it as a 4th FP. There are lots of great places to watch with no FP though. Instead of the cruise have you considered the Frozen Illuminations party? This was lots of fun and having a seat to watch was a big draw, bu the party itself was awesome and getting a ride on Frozen after the park closed was great!

To be honest, I think it's the really just a matter of wind conditions for that particular night. But in my opinion, with asthma, I would not take that chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter