**Illuminations ending Sept 30th**

I don't have a need to see Illuminations anymore, seen it more than enough times. I suspect that I won't see the interim show.

Just a heads up, fp and/or the dessert party might not be an option the last night. They don't offer either during NYE and I feel they might want to keep as many options on viewing open for everyone

Just a heads up, fp and/or the dessert party might not be an option the last night. They don't offer either during NYE and I feel they might want to keep as many options on viewing open for everyone

I had considered that awful possibility. I’ve also wondered if maybe they’ll do a special event thing. Regardless, I’m going and if I have to camp out all day, I will with no complaints. I’m going in knowing exactly what to expect.

Reading this today reminded me that one of my best Disney/Family Trip memories of all time is sitting near Japan with my kids who were 5 and 12, in the most perfect weather ever, sharing a funnel cake and watching Illuminations. It was one of those moments where you think to yourself “Remeber this moment, everything is just right .”:cloud9:

I’m sad to see it go, but I’m also very grateful for the times we got to see it as a family over the years. It’s exciting to think one day I will be watching a new show hopefully with my kids and some grandkids.

My first viewing of Illuminations was when I was 3 months pregnant with my first born (who now performs at epcot btw) It was a cold December evening and I am one of those people that has no problem waiting for a long time to get a good spot. I was with my 2 sisters, mom and dad and it was really, really cold. I grabbed a spot right in front of Disney Traders gift shop and my whole family waited inside the store cause they were to wimpy to wait in the cold, I held that spot for about an hour and a half
I do admit Illuminations is not my favorite show and I am glad they are finally giving something new to the park but I understand the emotional pull it has

Last edited:

The first time I saw Illuminations was with my dad. I'd seen it 4 times since and loved it more and more each time. I was so sad last year in September because I knew it was going to be the last time I would get to see it and it was our last day of the vacation also.

But it was showing its age. The fire barge was cool a decade ago, but now it just looks like a big ball of fire, there isn't a huge amount of pattern to it. I will miss it, but thankfully we now have YouTube that will immortalize it forever. If they can pull of what they did with 'Happily Ever After' when they replaced 'Wishes' in the Magic Kingdom I'll be happy, a bitter sweet feeling.

I adore Illuminations b/c I love the soundtrack. The music is fantastic to me and my wedding song was off the Illuminations soundtrack. That being said I am excited to see the new show. The sneak peek looks like it will be really great.

I’ve seen bits and pieces of Illuminations over the years, but I’ve never stopped to watch the whole show until tonight.
I don’t know. The music/fireworks/show do nothing for me. I’m really looking forward to the new show in October. :)

We saw it for the first time on our last trip- I didn't really do anything for me either. I can appreciate it for the history and for what it means to others, but for me it was skippable. I'm also excited to see what they put together for the new show- the special effects kites look so cool.

I will be there about a week before the last show. That is close enough for me. The last show is a Monday night and I have to be at work early Tuesday, so just doing a day trip doesn’t work for me. On the plus side, I hope it won’t be as crowded when I am there as it will be the last night. I did a nice video when I was there in December to see it with the holiday tag for the last time, so I can revisit it any time.

Was disappointed to see Illuminations ending Sept 30th. We will be there mid October and was hoping to see it one last time.
Hopefully the new show is much better than just an interim show.

Ok, I had to book the Illuminations dinner at Rose and Crown again for our July trip. I just couldn't not!

It is sad to see Illuminations go. I remember seeing it for the first time on a trip with DH the summer of 1999 the year it first debuted. We loved it and the parade, Tapestry of Nations, so much that we quickly booked a trip for the fall to bring our two daughters and my MIL. We then booked two more trips to make sure we could see both Illuminations and the parade before the parade went away. So awesome! But to be honest, Illuminations has been scaled back so much from the original that it has truly lost something for us. We reminisce about how great it used to be. So glad we bought the cd and recorded the whole thing that year. We are going in October and actually looking forward to the interim show.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter