If you wrote Star Wars, would Padme have lived?

Don’t forget Ahsoka. She was like a daughter to them both.:sad:
Actually now that I’m thinking of it, Padme would be an angry force ghost. He tortured his biological daughter and froze his son in law in carbonite, cut off his son’s hand and handed him over to a psychopath, and killed their unofficial daughter in cold blood. I wonder how his conversation went with Padme when he went to heaven….after all the people he harmed went after him in the afterlife. 🤣 :confused3 :duck:😬

No, evil damages good so those kids would have been linked through Padme and never could have escaped and grown to be who they needed to be. There is no way Padme could have lived and Vader not felt it and felt her as time went on, remember how he kept feeling his Mom's anguish and felt drawn to her? Only reason he didn't pick up on his children is he never had the chance to bond with them and was in such a foggy state when they were born and whisked away. At least that's my lifelong fan take on it ;)

I didn't like the way they wrote her off though, it was weak.

Apparantly that guy's name is Elan Sel'Sabagno, nicknamed "Sleazebaggano" and he did go home and rethink his life.
It only works on the weak minded.
Clone Trooper: No and can aim properly.
Storm Trooper:Yes and explains their bad aim.🤣

No, evil damages good so those kids would have been linked through Padme and never could have escaped and grown to be who they needed to be. There is no way Padme could have lived and Vader not felt it and felt her as time went on, remember how he kept feeling his Mom's anguish and felt drawn to her? Only reason he didn't pick up on his children is he never had the chance to bond with them and was in such a foggy state when they were born and whisked away. At least that's my lifelong fan take on it ;)

But did he value power or love more?

But did he value power or love more?
Love, he was only a pawn of power when he thought it could be used to protect the one he loved. If Padme would had lived she would always have pulled him away, look how his son, Luke, won him over in the end, that was all love :). Power was a tool, but love the goal.

The Emperor could manipulated the Midi-chlorians. The Emperor gave Anakin life through Shmi & took away Padme's life like he did his own Master. If Anakin knowingly still had Padme, he would not be Lord Darth Vader. At the time, everything Anakin did was in the name of Padme. Despite all of that, Yoda had the powers to save Padme and chose not to in my book. A rewrite, Yoda saves Padme, Padme & Leia travel Alderaan with Senator Organa to raise Leia & Luke is secretly sent to Tatooine.

Since Disney owns Star Wars makes sense with having a dead parent since Disney like to go that route often.

Last edited:
As was said, I would have had Padme live long enough for Leia's line about remembering her to make sense. She could have lived with the Organas for a short time before dying.

I thought the whole "She's lost the will to live" nonsense was pretty lame, I guess having two babies who need you wasn't enough to make her want to stick around? I know she's supposed to have really loved Anakin but what sort of mother would decide that her children weren't worth staying alive for? That just never made sense to me and it just seemed like more of Lucas' bad writing. He just wanted to get Padme out of the way so the movie could end.

As for Obi-Wan not remembering that Padme also had Leia, that was simply because at that point in ESB the "other" wasn't Leia, it was a new character. But when they started writing RotJ they decided it would be quicker to just make the "other" Leia, even though Leia spent days on the Death Star and Vader never once sensed that she was his daughter, and Lucas had already hinted that Luke and Leia might be romantically attracted to each other in the first two movies. It just became "OK, they're brother and sister now!"

I would have loved grandma Padme giving Kylo Ren a piece of her force ghost mind. 🤣

As was said, I would have had Padme live long enough for Leia's line about remembering her to make sense. She could have lived with the Organas for a short time before dying.

I thought the whole "She's lost the will to live" nonsense was pretty lame, I guess having two babies who need you wasn't enough to make her want to stick around? I know she's supposed to have really loved Anakin but what sort of mother would decide that her children weren't worth staying alive for? That just never made sense to me and it just seemed like more of Lucas' bad writing. He just wanted to get Padme out of the way so the movie could end.

Do we even know who Leia was talking about shen she said she "remembered." It's possible that either Leai is referring to Bail's wife, or maybe there were pictures of Padme that she had seen. It's not really a big deal if she remembers. Also, the Force.

As for the "will to live," I don't think that's really all there is to it. That's waht the droid interpreted as happening, but couldn't really explain it. The attack wasn't just physical, but a droid wouldn't understand it. It's not literal.

Anakin wanted a dictatorship since AOTC, particularly to eliminate slavery (which did happen under the empire).

I wouldn't have had Padme live, her dying deepens the tragedy of it all and solidifies Anakin on his evil path. But her death should have been so much better. Like maybe sacrificing her life in the struggle to begin the rebellion, or saving her children from Palpatine, I don't know. She was a pretty kick-*** and heroic character. Would have liked her to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Do we even know who Leia was talking about shen she said she "remembered." It's possible that either Leai is referring to Bail's wife, or maybe there were pictures of Padme that she had seen. It's not really a big deal if she remembers. Also, the Force.

It's been a while since I've seen RotJ, but didn't Luke specifically ask if she remembered her *real* mother, to make it clear that it wasn't Bail's wife she was talking about? And it's not a big deal, to me it's just another example of Lucas' sloppy writing and not caring if his newest stories matched up with what he'd written previously. Padme needed to die right after Leia's birth and it didn't matter if Leia specifically stated in RotJ that she died when Leia was "very young", which usually means one or two years, not one or two minutes.

And yes, you could say that it was the Force that enabled Leia to remember a woman she interacted with for only a few seconds when Padme named her, but then you have to wonder that if Leia had latent Force abilities such as that, why Vader didn't sense it AT ALL on the Death Star, even after he spent days in close proximity with her during her interrogation, which included a mind probe.

As for the "will to live," I don't think that's really all there is to it. That's waht the droid interpreted as happening, but couldn't really explain it. The attack wasn't just physical, but a droid wouldn't understand it. It's not literal.

The medical droid stated that she was "completely healthy", she just didn't want to live any more. And Obi-Wan didn't seem to notice anything amiss with the Force, which I think he would have if her death was due solely to Force shenanigans like her life force being drained, which doesn't match up with her being perfectly healthy anyway.

Last edited:
Are we talking about starting over from A New Hope, or specifically the prequels?

Because in Return of the Jedi, Leia made it sound like she knew Padme ("Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"), because Lucas didn't decide to have her die until he wrote the prequels. The retcon is that "Leia has memories through the Force", but that's just nonsense. If I were redoing just the prequels, I'd feel compelled to leave Padme alive, at least for a few years after Luke and Leia were born.

But I think it's more tragic for Padme to die. Anakin turns against the Jedi, kills all the youngings, almost dies by the hand of Obi-Wan, just to find out Padme died anyway. That's sadder.

Anakin wanted a dictatorship since AOTC, particularly to eliminate slavery (which did happen under the empire).

Anakin didn't get anything he wanted but was still Palpatine's lapdog, at least until he discovered the existence of Luke (the Vader comics show Vader start to turn against Palpatine). That's part of the tragedy. Mom is dead, wife is dead, slavery is still a thing.

It's been a while since I've seen RotJ, but didn't Luke specifically ask if she remembered her *real* mother, to make it clear that it wasn't Bail's wife she was talking about? And it's not a big deal, to me it's just another example of Lucas' sloppy writing and not caring if his newest stories matched up with what he'd written previously. Padme needed to die right after Leia's birth and it didn't matter if Leia specifically stated in RotJ that she died when Leia was "very young", which usually means one or two years, not one or two minutes.

And yes, you could say that it was the Force that enabled Leia to remember a woman she interacted with for only a few seconds when Padme named her, but then you have to wonder that if Leia had latent Force abilities such as that, why Vader didn't sense it AT ALL on the Death Star, even after he spent days in close proximity with her during her interrogation, which included a mind probe.

The medical droid stated that she was "completely healthy", she just didn't want to live any more. And Obi-Wan didn't seem to notice anything amiss with the Force, which I think he would have if her death was due solely to Force shenanigans like her life force being drained, which doesn't match up with her being perfectly healthy anyway.

Well, I think it's Lucas's perogative to change his mind when it comes to Star Wars, but also I don't really have a problem with it - it doesn't really need to be explained that much.

Anakin didn't get anything he wanted but was still Palpatine's lapdog, at least until he discovered the existence of Luke (the Vader comics show Vader start to turn against Palpatine). That's part of the tragedy. Mom is dead, wife is dead, slavery is still a thing.
The empire did make slavery illegal by ANH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter