If you were building a new home, what would be your must haves?

thought of an upgrade we did last year that has CHANGED MY LIFE! redid our walk-in primary closet and bit the bullet to have california closets do the install with adjustable height hanging rods and shelving:worship::worship::worship: i have arthritis in my shoulder and hanging up clothes on standard height racks has caused me pain for years. i looked into those pull down racks but they eat up allot of space when they are in the pulled down position so i was concerned that if one of us was ever in a wheel chair there wouldn't be enough clearance. i now have the rods at a perfect height so i'm not putting stress on my shoulders. i set up the shelves so the most used items are within easy reach/the infrequently used is up top but easily accessible with a step stool. if the time comes that we need to lower them further it's a simple pop out of the rod and reset the height.

if you decide to go this route you can see if your builder will just leave your closet a blank slate so there's nothing that has to get torn out (i even have a small office corner in my closet where all our household paperwork is stored, out of sight for easy access).

We have a whole-house generator. It's nice to have, but not needed if the neighborhood has underground electric (ours doesn't, but some neighborhoods in the area do).

We also have a nice sunroom--it has a gas heater installed, and we put in a heater/AC unit. It's one of the most popular rooms in house, for people and pets alike. If that doesn't interest the OP, at least consider a screened in porch (and pool, if you're getting one).

The other thing that we have that I like more than I thought I would--the family room has a wet bar. It's a recessed, closet-type area with a small sink and no door. We're not much for drinking, but we use it as a coffee area. It might be worth at least thinking about having a dedicated area for coffee, if for no other reason than so you can steer clear of the uncaffeinated monsters!

Since you are moving into a 55+ community, I would design it with aging in place in mind. The AARP published an excellent guide to that: AARP Guide to Revitalizing Your Home: Beautiful Living for the Second Half of Life. It's available on Amazon. Even if you don't need the features, it will help with resale.

There are a lot of things you can do to prep your home for future needs without doing it yet. For example, instead of putting in grab bars now, you can ask the contractor to block the walls for them now and give you the info you need to install them later. If possible, you can ensure that the staircase is set up so that a chair lift can be installed at a later date. Not all staircases will accommodate them. You can make sure doorways and bathrooms can accommodate walkers and wheelchairs and that light switches are at wheelchair-friendly heights. You can ensure one home entrance is handicapped accessible, the flooring is slip-resistant, and the thresholds aren't trip hazards. If you choose carpet, I recommend low pile carpet so it's easy to use a walker or wheelchair.

We purchased a piece of land in a 55+ community in Florida and we are heading down next week to do our design meeting to pick out all the stuff for the house. We have the ability to move walls, do stretches to the entire house, basically, anything we want. (Wel, my wallet may disagree with that last statement

this is our 1st time building and hopefully our last time moving so I want to get it right.

is there anything that your home doesn’t have that you wish it did or something that it has that you are so happy it does?

any advise is welcomed but looking for inexpensive add ons that would be difficult or expensive to add later. Thanks!

list so far.
Cabinets all the way around the island. (No pantry in our floor plan)
Gas line Spicket (probably not the right word) in back for the grill
1 outlet plug on each exterior wall
An outlet plug on the center of the living room wall for the tv
Garbage can holder in kitchen cabinets
Long thin window at the top of the master shower for light
Windows in garage door
Sliding shelving in the kitchen cabinets (lower half) - both shelves, not just the top one. I hate getting down on all fours to pull out pans, or anything stored under the counter.
Induction cooktop or stove. All the convenience of gas, none of the danger.
Fan lights in every room. Keeps a/c costs down.
Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you everyone for all your thoughtful responses. I really appreciate them.
I have added quite a few things to my list.
If you are moving anywhere in a hurricane zone, hurricane windows are a must. You don't want to be trying to put up shutters when under a hurricane watch.

Three must haves would be:
- Comfort Height toilets with elongated bowl and soft close lids. Once you use them you will never go back.
- Tankless water heater. Specifically NAVIEN brand. I get nothing for the recommendation but I have had four bands of tankless in three different houses over the last 15 years and this one is the best. None are cheap (be concerned if they are) but it will last 15-20 years if you take care of it (annual flush with scale cleaner) and you can take a hot shower for as long as you like!
- Water softener. Have lived without one for the past year and hopefully will never have to do that again.

Good luck!
We just did a major house remodel and addition. Make sure that the electrical is designed appropriately for a tankless water heater. We had to upgrade the electrical because the approved permitted plans were sized for a regular water heater tank. When in use, they draw quite a bit of electricity and will mess with the rest of the electrical system if they don't have enough dedicated power.

A bidet in the toilets can be easily added after the fact but its a great upgrade.

We have been waiting for a specific KitchenAid refrigerator for a year. We will be visiting the appliance shop this weekend to pick out a different one (and pay the increased cost :( ). Make sure the appliances you select are in stock or readily available.

All one level
Zero entry shower. No lip to walk over.
Laundry room next to Main Bedroom.
Power blinds.

We just finished building and I'm sure our must have list is different from yours. The one thing we didn't do that we will go back and install is a jet air system in the shower. I'm so over squeegeeing (sp?) the glass. It will be worth every penny.

The neighbor has a generator that is placed a few feet from my bedroom. If you're going to put one in, please put it in your garage. It's incredibly loud and the last thing I need when the A/C is out and my white noise machine doesn't work is lots of noise when I'm trying to sleep.
I don't think the garage is the best place to put a generator (at least while it's running).

I recently moved to Florida. I suspect you might be moving into the same community. Many of the features people have

Things I don't like:

The neighbor has a generator that is placed a few feet from my bedroom. If you're going to put one in, please put it in your garage. It's incredibly loud and the last thing I need when the A/C is out and my white noise machine doesn't work is lots of noise when I'm trying to sleep.

Generators should not be placed in the garage or any other enclosed space.

https://www.santaenergy.com/generat...s, windows, and vents, and flammable material.

Sliding shelving in the kitchen cabinets (lower half) - both shelves, not just the top one. I hate getting down on all fours to pull out pans, or anything stored under the counter.
Induction cooktop or stove. All the convenience of gas, none of the danger.
Fan lights in every room. Keeps a/c costs down.
Good luck and enjoy!

I have sliding shelves in my pantry and absolutely hate them. You can't put nearly as much in them because junk catches then falls off the back and then you have to pull the bottom draw out to get to it, etc. I thought I would love them but I hate them. When we model the kitchen that will be gone.

Well, then, it shouldn't be right outside my window either according to that website.

My neighbors in a previous home had a portable generator that they would hookup and operate in the garage with the garage door open.

Midwest build at ages 32 and 39 in 1990. What we did - what we wish we had done. (Many things we did are personal choices depending on age, location, likes, dislikes, children, forever home or a move up home etc. etc. etc. You may agree or disagree.)

What we did:
Outlets to the outside weather proof plugs switched to the front foyer coat closest. Great at Christmas!!
An outlet under each window for Christmas candle lights.
Outlet at banister height for Christmas garland with lights.
Light and switch for every closet.
Light in center of room & one plug switched for a lamp in each room. Center light has switch by bed too.
Back hallway is switched to a lamp down the hall and through the kitchen to the family room. There is
a switch to the same lamp going down the hall to the primary bedroom. This one light helps to
always light the way no matter where you are going in the house.
We took scrap 2 by 4s and put in blocking for curtain rods, toilet paper holders, towel rods, & garb bars.
(We did the latter ourselves then photographed and measured where all were so we could locate after
the drywall was put up. We still have not used the ones for grab bars but they are there.)
Christmas room storage lined with 2 by 4 shelves that are two feet deep with 3/4 OSB. No sagging.
This was an idea that our builder chuckled at. Everyone admires my labeled tubs and holiday
decorations. A great use of space and soooo organized. :)
Basement an extra row of block high for added height space.
Steel I beams and steel above garage doors for a soldier course of brick. No sagging.
Wood burning fireplace with gas jet.
Gas run to back yard for a firepit.
Big kitchen pantry with wooden shelves.
All closets and storage spaces were designed, completed and painted before we moved in. We did this
closets ourselves. They are perfect for the way we live. We used galvanized pipe for closet rods. No
sagging and we had blocking behind the drywall for ease of hanging. Screws no molly bolts.
Behind sofa or at the end of the hall hardwire for a picture light. Also can serve as a night light.
Higher counters due to our heights. (In 1990 counters were pretty low. Now ours are the standard.)
Open stairway to the basement with beautiful railing. Heat rises - no issue. This was my father-in-laws
suggestion and we have loved it. The space is so open.
Cold spigot in the garage BUT my father-in-law said to do hot and cold to garage. We did not. Mistake.
Extra block on basement height for added open feeling and head space.
One inch pipe from the main at the street instead of 1/2 or 3/4. Always plenty of pressure.
Run a plastic pipe under sidewalks in case you want wiring to lights on the other side of the walk. You can
just cap it off until you are ready to use. So inexpensive to do before sidewalks are poured.
Insulation around entire bathroom for sound proofing. We insulated between bedrooms too.
Energy efficient honeycomb blinds. (They were expensive but have been a great purchase.) Draperies and
curtains have been changed but the blinds are still great - so energy efficient.
French doors to outside patio that are really sliders so no space is taken out of the eating area room per
the swing of the doors.
Room in basement that is all brick for storms. (aka: Tornadoes.) Also serves as the laundry room. (I am
one of those people that do not wish my laundry to be upstairs. But the plumbing is there incase we
ever have to switch.
Wider than normal halls (8 inches) and stairway to basement (6 inches.) (Wheel chair or stair chair.)
Determined where most furniture pieces would go so plugs were where we wanted them and cold air
returns and or registers we in the right places.
Fully insulated garage.
We went for timeless and traditional and not trendy which has served us well for 30+ years.
Garage large enough that car doors can be open without hitting one another and/or the walls.

What we wish we had done:
Pocket door on guest bath instead of a regular door. Pocket French doors on dining room instead of
regular French doors.
Double hung windows and not crank out windows. (The crank windows were 20 percent more expensive.)
Double hungs would allow the tops to be open for circulation without fear of rain getting in. This was
the biggest mistake on the entire house!! Super nice wooden windows that I hate. lol Yet I am well
aware crank out Andersons may be the choice of others.
Hard wired security lights. Easily added but easier to do in process. Times have changed.
Zero entry heated shower floor. (Was not a thing when we built in 1990. Getting ready to do.)
Two water meters. One for water and sewer used in the house and one just used for lawn watering. In
our town you pay sewer on water you use on lawn unless you have two meters. Expensive to add after
the fact. Also good not to have to pay sewer rates for water to wash cars.
Do not over landscape. Ours looked great for a few years and then we started to remove things. However, we love our shade trees. Our professional plan was great but just way too much after a few years of growth.
Nine foot ceilings throughout in addition to the two cathedral ceilings.

Would build the exact same house again with a few tweaks.

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone again for all the great suggestions.
I really thought this process would be fun but I’m just a big ball of stress right now.

We are really trying to keep the costs down as much as possible because the base price of everything has skyrocketed since we bought the lot.

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone again for all the great suggestions.
I really thought this process would be fun but I’m just a big ball of stress right now.

We are really trying to keep the costs down as much as possible because the base price of everything has skyrocketed since we bought the lot.
I love the process. Don't be afraid to do the things that can't be changed down the road first. We did not finish our basement for two or three years. We did not furnish the sunroom for a couple years. We waited on draperies and just had blinds for a few years. We made sure all the mechanicals and products used were superior. We wanted a strong structure with superior materials that would last. We were also not afraid to roll up our sleeves and do many things too to save $$$. My father-in-law was such a valuable resource and we learned so much from his wisdom and experience. He knew every nook and cranny of the house and taught us along the way. Wishing you the very best in this process!!

Congratulations! I designed and built post and beam homes in the northeast. Many of these features have been mentioned, however they are worth pointing out again:

*Wide hallways and doorways**minimize hallways and watch for doorway privacy issues (you'll use a 3-D program walkthru)
*Hard flooring throughout (timeless look)
*High(er) ceilings
*Walk in shower (designed so no door needed) with seat, hand held magnetic fixture (does not need to be fancy get at Lowes and have them install it)
*Windows on the north side are important for year round light
*If using gas for kitchen, also have an outlet on your patio for a grill and stand by generator (even if you don't have one installed now)
*4' extension on garage
*Garage door opener with battery back up for power outages
*Soft closing cabinet drawers and lots of them in different sizes (pots and pans), cabinets to ceiling eliminating dust and it just looks nice
*Deep, large kitchen sink and good faucet gets lots of use so quality important
*Thicker counters (quartz or granite) don't let them skimp
*Tall baseboards and deeper crown molding

I could go on, really think through anything you can't change like hallways, window placement, garage size (no one ever has enough) and preinstalling any future electrical, gas or plumbing lines. If you think anything will look dated in 5-10 years it will so be careful with trendy looks! Good luck!

Last edited:

Please have a construction attorney look over the contract before you start. Costs have skyrocketed and depending on how the contract is written, you may have to come up with any extra costs.

I built during COVID and there was nothing to love about the process. Delays, cost increases, labor shortages, and backorders were an every day occurrence. I love my house and it brings me joy now that we've moved in, but man was it a nightmare. We still aren't finished. I've called it the half-way house for a long time ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter