IF YOU HAVE A 2016 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER....

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
or any year Highlander, I'd like to know if you like it, and if you don't mind sharing, your cost out the door. I'm specifically looking at the Limited Platinum V6 AWD model. I finally drove one this past weekend and found it comfortable and easy to drive. Safety features are plus.
Thanks everyone.

Look at KBB.com they have forums for what people are paying.... Toyotas are not cheap but are very comfortable to drive.. can not comment on pricing for what you are looking for but I did buy an Avalon and they do discount...but do not expect anything like 16% off like GM advertises for the year end.

I have an '09 Highlander Sport. Bought it certified used in 2010 & have put over 100K on it- I love it. With 2 boys it's perfectly sized, the foldaway rear seat is great & the motor has enough get up & go for me to feel safe on the freeway (yet it's pretty fuel efficient considering...)
Admittedly, This past year we started having a few glitchy things - radio seems to be going out and so does the screen on the backup camera; the motor / latch on back hatch seems to be going out (sometimes it doesn't close properly & I have to get out & push it closed for it to latch)...probably will trade it in on another highlander in the next year.

If memory serves we paid around $26 for it after a fair amount of shopping around & haggling.

We have an '09 and '13 Highlander, both Limited's but not AWD. DD drives the '09, it has 125,000 miles or so on it now and DH drives the '13. Both bought new at the dealer. No problems with either vehicle. We paid around $40K for the '13.

I agree they are not cheap vehicles but DH likes them-- the '09 was originally his before giving to DD. We had an '07 Explorer and he didn't like the 'truck' feel of it. He likes that the Highlander handles more like a car.

I have a 2016 Highlander XLE V6 AWD model. I added a few options, body moulding, door edge guards, all weather mats, towing package, The General paint and interior protection. I paid $40,782 out the door (However, I wasn't taxed on the full amount because I traded in a 2013 Honda Accord and the trade in amount is deducted before tax is figured)

Ok for the most part I love love love it... but I should've just sucked it up and paid another $15,000 and got a Suburban.

My highlander drives like a dream, great over bumps, good on gas, has pretty much all the features I wanted and was fairly economical in comparison to what we were looking at. BUT, we have a large family but really only my 11yo and 13yo drive with us on a regular basis (the others all have new cars). We have a 2yo and a 5yo foster sons and thought they might have been going home in September so we just thought about what we needed immediately. I think our bonus babies will be staying with us a little longer and regret not just getting something a little bigger.

But for a normal sized family that doesn’t have 2 kids in car seats and 2 kids who don’t want to sit in the back, then it would be great lol. Even if the 2 littles weren't in car seats it wouldn't be so bad, but the 2yo is still rear facing and it's just a bit of a headache if we go more than an hour away from the house because it's not overly comfortable for everyone in back. We have decided to look for a used suburban/yukon for Tyler to drive and use that for long trips.

Soooooo, that said depending on how many kids you have, how much time you spend traveling, etc I would either definitely recommend it or tell you to steer clear.

Last edited:
Ok for the most part I love love love it... but I should've just sucked it up and paid another $15,000 and got a Suburban. It drives like a dream, great over bumps, good on gas, has pretty much all the features I wanted and was fairly economical in comparison to what we were looking at.

A Suburban is good on gas?

OP, I can't speak to the Highlander, but we have a Sequoia and love it. It is a 2004 and still drives like almost new. It has almost 200K miles on it and we plan to keep it at least 6 more years, when the youngest graduates high school.

We love Toyotas so much we just got a Camry in 2014. It is our newest car and we expect it to last a LONG time.

A Suburban is good on gas?

OP, I can't speak to the Highlander, but we have a Sequoia and love it. It is a 2004 and still drives like almost new. It has almost 200K miles on it and we plan to keep it at least 6 more years, when the youngest graduates high school.

We love Toyotas so much we just got a Camry in 2014. It is our newest car and we expect it to last a LONG time.
No. Sorry I meant I wish I would've just paid the difference to get a suburban. Was talking about the highlander being good on gas.

or any year Highlander, I'd like to know if you like it, and if you don't mind sharing, your cost out the door. I'm specifically looking at the Limited Platinum V6 AWD model. I finally drove one this past weekend and found it comfortable and easy to drive. Safety features are plus.
Thanks everyone.

I have an '11. I bought the base, 2wd, 4 cyl for $24k out the door. I wanted the 4 cyl for cheaper gas and I am fine with the basic electronics (as long as there is ac and power windows/locks) I really like it and have had only 1 minor issue with the window clicking (but have yet to take it in). I am at about 70k miles.

One thing to keep in mind is there is no storage in the back if you use all 3 rows. Oh. And reversing seems to have weird blind spots. Maybe the '16 is different?

I have a '13 Base Plus V6 AWD with some add ons, paid 35K new. I love the way it looks, and drives but there are things I am disappointed in. The interior plastic parts are so cheap, I have squeaks and noises coming from the center front vent area and where the radio is. I also have a mildew problem with the AC vents, which apparently is common in Toyotas. None of my previous cars ever had an issue, and my last one I drove for 11 years!
There isn't a ton of space in the back, which is okay except when we travel. when I have o use the 3rd row seat there is zero cargo area. I do have the roof rack and rails and a towing hitch so that helps.
I know the design changed in 2014 so maybe some of those things are different. I don't think I would purchase another one though.
Lately I have been considering trading it in for a Honda Pilot. I don't really like how they look, but I know several people who drive them and they love them.

I have a 2015 XLE AWD. Mine's a lease but sticker was just under $39K.

I love it. It is my 3rd Highlander. I had a 2006 that I bought new and then traded in and leased a 2012 and now the 2015. We have had the captain seats in the second row on the last two. Wouldn't want a bench, I don't think. I have 2 teenage kids and a dog who rides with us a lot. There's so much room! It's a great car!

I have a 2015 highlander. It was one step up from the base model so it has a power lift gate and the interior is between a cloth and leather. I got it for $32,000, put $5000 down, and my payment is $525 per month for 5 years.

I love it! I went from a rav 4 to the highlander and I love the extra space. The back is huge when the third row is down. My kids car seats take up most of the second row, but they are comfortable back there. We have for up to 7 comfortably. I have sit in the third row and it is very comfortable.

I love it. It is my 3rd Highlander. I had a 2006 that I bought new and then traded in and leased a 2012 and now the 2015. We have had the captain seats in the second row on the last two. Wouldn't want a bench, I don't think. I have 2 teenage kids and a dog who rides with us a lot. There's so much room! It's a great car!

We don't have a Highlander, but I would definitely get captain seats in the 2nd row of any 3-row crossover or utility.

We don't have a Highlander, but I would definitely get captain seats in the 2nd row of any 3-row crossover or utility.

We are considering a 2014 Highlander or a 2012 Honda Pilot. The Pilot only has a bench for second row. With two carseats with the potential for three (one in the back), I am thinking captains chairs would be easiest to get everone in the car. My DH is not convinced and thinks moving the second row bench to get to the back woukd be easier.

So why would you only reccomend captains chairs?

We are considering a 2014 Highlander or a 2012 Honda Pilot. The Pilot only has a bench for second row. With two carseats with the potential for three (one in the back), I am thinking captains chairs would be easiest to get everone in the car. My DH is not convinced and thinks moving the second row bench to get to the back woukd be easier.

Access to the 3rd row is sooooooo much easier if you have captains chairs in row 2.

I'm not the pp you asked, but I wouldn't reccomend captain chairs only. They are nice, I had them in my mini van but there is no way I could have just captain chairs in my Highlander. If I had to use one of the 3rd row seats all the time I'd lose precious cargo space for everyday things.
I really like that I can make my 2nd row a bench or 2 captain chairs in my Highlander. Now that my dd has her own car we just use the captain chairs and put the console in the middle.

My mother is still driving the first year Highlander - an '02 or '03. Still drives so well that she doesn't want to get rid of it.

I tried to purchase a top of the line 2013 Highlander, but my Toyota dealership would only come off the price like $1500. The discount was very small, even though we had purchased multiple vehicles from the dealership in the past. They basically said they didn't have to discount the Highlander, people would buy it at full price.

I did have better luck with a discount on my 2008 Toyota Sienna. I purchased it at the end of the model year, so they were more liberal with the discounts.

Access to the 3rd row is sooooooo much easier if you have captains chairs in row 2.

SUV's these days have the easy slide back seats, so getting into the third row isn't as hard as it used to be. The seats slide all the way up to the front seats with the touch of a button. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder had this option, pretty sure a 2016 Highlander would also have this option.

Captains seats aren't a necessity for easy 3rd row access.

I have a '13 Base Plus V6 AWD with some add ons, paid 35K new. I love the way it looks, and drives but there are things I am disappointed in. The interior plastic parts are so cheap, I have squeaks and noises coming from the center front vent area and where the radio is. I also have a mildew problem with the AC vents, which apparently is common in Toyotas. None of my previous cars ever had an issue, and my last one I drove for 11 years!
There isn't a ton of space in the back, which is okay except when we travel. when I have o use the 3rd row seat there is zero cargo area. I do have the roof rack and rails and a towing hitch so that helps.
I know the design changed in 2014 so maybe some of those things are different. I don't think I would purchase another one though.
Lately I have been considering trading it in for a Honda Pilot. I don't really like how they look, but I know several people who drive them and they love them.

I also have a 2013 Highlander and have an issue with noise/squeaks from the center front vent. It drives me crazy!!! I do like my Highlander but felt my Town & Country seats were much more comfortable. The Highlander seats seem to be smaller.

I will have 1 or two car seats in the second row so to slide the seat forward may or may not be possible.

SUV's these days have the easy slide back seats, so getting into the third row isn't as hard as it used to be. The seats slide all the way up to the front seats with the touch of a button. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder had this option, pretty sure a 2016 Highlander would also have this option.

Captains seats aren't a necessity for easy 3rd row access.

Still an an extra step. Plus, it sounds like OP plans baby seats in row 2 which would defeat that feature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter