If I loved BLT, will I love BWV?

Music City Mama

DIS Veteran
We recently returned from a stay at a 1 BR standard view at BLT and absolutely loved the resort and the room (I had to do a split-stay at the Swan, though, because staying there the whole time was too expensive).

We normally stay in the Epcot resorts area and next year I'd like to not do a split-stay and I think I can pull off a 1 BR standard view at BWV.

I don't need to be sold on the location, just the resort and rooms. Anyone stayed at both and love both?

They are totally different in style. I actually didn't care for BLT all that much. To me BWV has so much more character. The decor is definitely not nearly as sleek. It's more beachy and laid back. I just love everything about the resort in general, especially the Atlantic City Coney Island theme. Plus the location, but you already commented on that.

We recently returned from a stay at a 1 BR standard view at BLT and absolutely loved the resort and the room (I had to do a split-stay at the Swan, though, because staying there the whole time was too expensive).

We normally stay in the Epcot resorts area and next year I'd like to not do a split-stay and I think I can pull off a 1 BR standard view at BWV.

I don't need to be sold on the location, just the resort and rooms. Anyone stayed at both and love both?

One big difference is there will only be 1 bathroom at BWV, plus no sleeper chair. So it depends on how many people you have.

I think it depends on how much you prefer modern vs period Disney theming.

QS is the other main BWV complaint..there's the bakery, pizza window and some food at a pool bar...and you have to go outside to get into restaurants.

I think MK bus transportation is less than ideal at BWV. Going you have to stop at S and D then finally MK.
Returning in the afternoon might land you on a 5 stop bus that stops at S, D, YC, BC, then finally BW.

Standard view at BWV can be difficult to get 7 months out much of the year. Seeking 1BR gives you more of a chance. Assuming you can get it, the standard views themselves are OK although not outstanding. If you want outstanding try for boardwalk view, best on site (and I have had theme park view on a high floor at BLT). Decor is like 1950s to early 1960s beach resort; some like that, some don't.

Your 1BR at BWV is about 100 sq ft smaller than the 1BR at BLT and that is a very noticeable difference. You will also have only one bathroom although the master bath at BWV is actually two rooms (sink and tub in one; sink, shower and toilet in the other). You don't have that peculiar shower they have at BLT which squirts at you from two different directions. As far as location goes, BWV cannot be beat. You can walk or boat to both Studios and Epcot, You have more than two dozen restaurants within walking distance (at the Epcot resorts and the two parks). Also, you are close to everything at the resort -- main and one of the quiet pools are on the BWV side, entertainment on the boardwalk, four restaurants on the boardwalk (Flying Fish (most expensive), Kouzzina's (Greek and good), Big River Grill (burgers, steak and such, and locally brewed bears, all good), and ESPN Club (sports screens everywhere and mostly short order food, heaven for a male, wives may be non-committal), a night club (excellent dueling piano show) and a dance hall. You don't have a counter service restaurant but there is a bakery with some things other than baked goods. The ice cream shop is outstanding.

The pool is fine although some take exception to the big clown face where the slide is. You don't have Chef Mickey's which I consider one of the best character meals on site. However, you can get one in the morning at Beach Club at the Cape May Cafe although the best meal there is the seafood buffet without characters in the evening.

I own at BWV and AKV and those are 1 and 2 as my favorite resorts, but BLT does take third. My sense is if you liked BLT, you will most likely like BWV. Its only downside for me is the bus system for the other two parks and DD, which system I consider to be the worst on site by far (and I have used all of them over the years other than the value resorts). You share with S/D and sometimes with YC/BC and delays often seem to be the norm rather than the exception. If you have a car you can find the parking to be inconvenient with a possible, long trek to the room, unlike BLT where you can always get something fairly close to the building..

love blt - like bwv -

as has been mentioned

no restaurant or quick service (really miss the qs) - the pool bar is very limited. So here you definitely need groceries. Now when the weather is great - it is a fun place - but when the weather is bad - you need to be prepared.

the walk to Epcot is not bad - and the studios if you are near the back door is okay.

because they are setup different than the MK - you don't feel the excitement that you do walking to the MK. You can't see alot of them until you are in the parks.

Thanks for your replies. I know that the 1 bedroom is smaller at BWV which is a downside, but it's not like we can't make it work. There are 4 of us (kids will be 11 and 7). They LOVED having separate beds at BLT, but as my DH says, they'll just have to deal. Having two bathrooms was nice, but it's not imperative.

I plan on trying to rent points 11 months out, so I think I could probably snag a standard view. Don't plan on paying for a boardwalk view.

I do like the look of BLT -- it's definitely more my taste, but I can appreciate the more beach cottage look, too. I think the killer for me will be the lack of QS options (and the walk to get to them).

I do like the Epcot resorts area a bit more than the MK resorts area (and love having walking/boating access to 2 parks), so I think it makes more sense for us to stay there. I'm pretty easy to please, so I don't think I'll hate it or anything, I just want to like it a lot (even though I realize I might not like it as much as BLT).

I could have the best of both worlds and do a split-stay again (Epcot resort and then BLT), but I really want to stay put next time and not think about having to move.

Well, at least it sounds like it's possible to like both, which is what I was really wanting to know. Thanks again.

We love both BLT and BWV. I think BWV feels more "intimate" especially if you have BW view because you are so close to the BW, boat and lake and Epcot. But the rooms at BWV are not as nice as BLT because they don't have the 2nd bathroom and sleeper chair. DH and I always have a 1 bedroom to ourselves so those 2 things aren't that big of a deal to us. Also BWV doesn't have the island in the kitchen. BWV does have a really nice walk-in closet and a balcony off both the master and the living room (sometimes it is one big balcony, sometimes it is 2 small ones). People complain about the walk to the elevators at BWV but some rooms at BLT are not super close either. And for sure, once you get to the elevators, they are much faster at BWV than BLT because there are only 5 floors at BWV.
Regarding buses, the number of stops that BWV buses make is dependent on the time of day and year. We have stayed at BWV at least 40 times and about 38 times the route to MK has been BWV then Swan then Dolphin then MK. On the way back it has been BWV first stop. It must be that we go at times when the bus service is better. We always drive to AK and DTD, so can't comment on that. We love walking to both Epcot and DHS because DH is in a scooter and it is so easy to not deal with cars, buses or boats. And the walk is really lovely (but we never go in summer when it is really hot).
I think it is hard for anyone to predict what someone else's likes and dislikes will be in choosing a DVC resort. I really think that the best advice is to try every resort at least once so you can decide for yourself. The beauty of DVC is that there is always another trip, so no big deal if any particular resort turns out to not be your style.
P.S. I have tried all of the WDW DVCs except VGF and I have my favorites but have actually enjoyed every single one.

I one the crazies who love both. They're two of my home resorts. I love the feel of the Boardwalk and I actually like the lived-in feel of the decor. I love how sleek and modern BLT and it's decor are. But there's nothing like walking around the Boardwalk itself and going, "wow, this is actually a resort?!?!"

Try it, I think you'll love it.

We stayed @ CR Concierge Level. It was nice but I did not love it. I love the BW. The whole ambiance & relaxing feel. Within steps to everything magical !! The bus service is terrible but I can live with that.

We also love both! We love BLT for the décor, sleeper chair and extra bathroom. We love BWV for the Boardwalk itself. Both are a great location for walking to a park(s) but there is so much on the Boardwalk to see and do. The rooms could use an update at BWV and I don't like having just the sofa bed as we have a teenage boy and girl. But those points are easily overlooked and we love staying there. Don't think you can go wrong with either one! :goodvibes

for sv would ask for view of the stream (also hc parking) - it has a back door to the buses - plus another back door to the community pool. So standard view here is pretty good.

(although do prefer BLT sv)

this is closer to the studio than epcot - you can walk to them both. most people walk to Epcot than studios - not sure why

Another "loves both" person--altho I'll take it one step further and state that I love ALL the DVC WDW resorts (have stayed at all but Wilderness Lodge, and have visited there)...

Each one is unique, altho there are enough similarities (principally in layout) so you know you're in a DVC villa!

Neither BWV nor BLT is a favorite (but don't forget I do love them both)...my personal favorites are BCV and SSR--my DS would add AKV to the "favorite" list...

And the standard view villas are among the best bargains in the system...definitely worth trying to find an owner to rent from at 11 months!

Good luck and hope you enjoy!!!

BWV rooms are a bit worn and need updating, but I found that BLT is starting to show it's wear already and it is a lot newer.

Love BWV lobby area, feels like you are really in a east coast beach town. The Boardwalk area is fun to wandering in the evening. Walking distance to Epcot was great, loved using the back entrance, we even walked to HS a few times.

I think you will enjoy BWV just as much.

BWV rooms are a bit worn and need updating, but I found that BLT is starting to show it's wear already and it is a lot newer.

Love BWV lobby area, feels like you are really in a east coast beach town. The Boardwalk area is fun to wandering area in the evening. Walking distance to Epcot was great, loved using the back entrance, we even walked to HS a few times.

I think you will enjoy BWV just as much.

They just did a complete renovation at BWV about three years ago. It will probably be another seven or so before they do it again.

I love both for different reason.

I love the BLT rooms.. They are awesome. Nice and big and bright..love the 2 baths and the kids love the separate beds. Love that its a smaller footprint then the Bw and the top of the world is great.

But I love the BW resort better. I feel that there is more to do and they just redid the bakery with better choices, but the swan and dolphin and Bc are right there so there are tons of food choices not to mention Ws...it's right around the corner for Qs meals. The rooms are a bit dated, not as nice as the BLT, and they are not as big as the BLT due to the lack of balcony off the living rooms, but the resort is just awesome.

I own at both and always do a split stay as I like to be close to the parks so I don't waste time getting to and from.

It's really so personal that it is hard to tell.

We love BLT, but don't really care for BWV. Strangely enough, we really like BCV and I would be the first to purchase if they ever built at Yacht Club. When it comes to DVC, there is something for everyone!

Just did a split stay with BLT and BWV for Easter. BWV is our home resort so we are biased. We have styaed at BLT twice and enjoyed that as well.

The 1 BR with kids works fine. If kids don't want sleeper couch together we have used used cushions from old couches as second bed in past (not sure if knew couches can be used like that. We also have used air mattress when we have driven (you can fit a air mattress in carry on as well).

We have stayed in most of the villa resorts (with the exception of OKW) and no matter where we stay I always find myself wishing we were back at BLT at one point or another over the course of the stay. The BWV are nice, I love the resort and don’t really have a problem with the lack of QS (we eat breakfast in our room and don’t really ever eat QS).
The one thing that is a factor for us at BW is location. One time we were clear down at the end near Jellyrolls, and that was a hike to the elevators and pool. The next time we were very near the elevators and loved it, a quick walk to get to the main building and pool. If you are renting a car parking can be kind of a pain. My kids were joking this last time that their perfect resort would be the rooms from Bay Lake, the pool from the Beach Club, the gym from SSR, in the Polynesian resort but moved to the Boardwalk location lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter