"IF I HEAR SLEIGH RIDE ONE MORE TIME" - A Nov 2012 Holiday Extravaganza UPDATED 10/18

AHHHHHHH Christmas time at Disney - a beautiful blend of two beautiful things!!! I haven't been to Disney during that time of year since 1997 but I remember it well - we were actually there for Christmas! I remember that we had to buy gloves because - even in December - we didn't think to bring them to FLORIDA! :sad2: My goal is to go to Disney in each month month (well, not the same year... but that sure would be nice!) I'm getting close! ;)
Nice! I don't know if I could handle being there on Christmas. As a summer traveler, I'm used to crowds, but Christmas crowds might just be too much for me. :laughing:
Oh, I love Bus Guy's voice too. Really, how can you not?! No joke, on my last trip we stayed at Bay Lake Tower and a little part of me was sad that I wouldn't get to hear that voice going to the Magic Kingdom. Yes I am weird.

YAY MVMCP! It is such a fun event. Can't wait to hear more about it!
That's not weird at all. Totally understandable. :)
Wonderful pics! :)
Thank you!!
Cute pic with the Dwarves! I'm planning to attend my first MNSSHP this year and I'm looking forward to meeting them there.

I love Christmas TRs. Christmas is my favorite time of the year, and it's great being at Disney then.
Awesome! They were a lot of fun.

Agreed. :goodvibes
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT BINGE!! I'm ALREADY waiting on season 5 and ANUSTART!!!

I totally loved MVMCP wayyyy back in 2009. Christmas in MK is just breathtaking.

Haha, I totally bought a Santa Hat for the party, but it was the night prior and at Epcot. The girl in the store wouldn't let me leave unless I wore it right then and there.
I know! I need season five ASAP. Or a movie. Or webisodes. I don't even care, I just want more!!

Breathtaking is right. The first time I saw the Castle all lit up...well, I'll save that for the report. ;)

AHH well now I miss Christmas at Disney now! I can't wait to hear more about your MVMCP. It was definitely a huge mistake that we didn't do that when I was there in December, but that's just one more thing to look forward to next time I guess! You look SO cute in your hat, I absolutely love it!
That's the great thing about Disney. Everything you don't do becomes something else to look forward to for the next trip. And thank you! I love that hat.
Great pictures with the dwarves! I love that they are part of the characters at the party.

A jacket? Brrrrr! It's hard to think about it being that cold in Florida, but it certainly does happen.

Great pics!
I love that they're all out! It makes for a great photo op.

I'm just glad it wasn't too cold. I mean, it was definitely cold in the evenings, but more chilly than freezing.
Ahhhhh!!!! I love the christmas party!!! Except I've never been big on the M&G before. That's my new goal for the Halloween party!
Love this pic of you guys and the 6 1/2 dwarves!
Yeah, even if you're not big on M&Gs, the special party ones are fun. The dwarf line gets long, but, if you do the waiting before the party officially starts, it doesn't feel like a waste of precious party time or anything.
I just read your last report and caught up here. I enjoyed your writing and can't wait to read the rest. We actually stayed at aoa right after you left. I'm interested to hear how you ended up liking the cooler weather. I live near dlr and never go during the summer because of the heat and crowds. Since it's the same weather as at my house, you would think I would be fine, but I swear carsland, toontown and parts of tomorrowland defy the laws of physics and are hotter than the sun. I think I would actually melt in Florida in July.
Thank you!!

As for the cooler weather, there were times throughout the trip where I missed the heat and humidity. Crazy, right? The cooler temps were definitely a nice change of pace, but I'd miss the surface-of-the-sun heat if I stopped going during the summer. I guess I just have so many good memories of traveling in the summer that I see the heat as friend and not something to avoid. It's definitely not for everyone though. I think I've just done it so many times that I've built up a tolerance. :rotfl:

AHHH Christmas at Disney. :love: I love your plaid personality (and hat) and your dwarf picture is so cute! But where's Lee Arenberg? ;)

just got back from Disney two days ago & i'm glad i didn't get too far behind,

i find the jacket & pants hilarious because it was literally 95 degrees when i was just down there all week & i'm pretty sure the sun sucked up about 8 pounds off of me, & i can't IMAGINE wearing a pants let alone a jacket!

your dwarves picture is super cute! 6 & a half eyes, :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I am so glad I just found your TR because we are arrivng the Saturday after Thanksgiving this year for our WDW trip and I/we have also never been during the holiday season. I'm trying to stick to my lists and book and plan, but I think reading Lia's report and now yours, is really going to help me perhaps...relax and remember to breathe a bit.

I have been to WDW in mid-NOV before, but not since '03, so I'm also hoping I bring the right stuff. I have already told DH we probably won't be needing shorts...Though on my other NOV trips, shorts were ok during the day and I'd wear a sweatshirt, but IDK....shorts in 40- or 50 degree weather at night after the sunsets might be a dangerous thing...so I guess we'll stick to pants/jeans and tshirts with jackets? I figure if we're cold, we'll buy a scarf or hat. ;)

Anyway, I'm totally loving your TR report so far! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read more!:yay:

AHHH Christmas at Disney. :love: I love your plaid personality (and hat) and your dwarf picture is so cute! But where's Lee Arenberg? ;)
Thanks! And I'd love to meet that Grumpy. He cracks me up.
just got back from Disney two days ago & i'm glad i didn't get too far behind,

i find the jacket & pants hilarious because it was literally 95 degrees when i was just down there all week & i'm pretty sure the sun sucked up about 8 pounds off of me, & i can't IMAGINE wearing a pants let alone a jacket!

your dwarves picture is super cute! 6 & a half eyes, :rotfl2::rotfl2:
Ahhhh Florida summers. Well, technically it's still spring, but still. I hope you had a wonderful trip despite the heat!
I am so glad I just found your TR because we are arrivng the Saturday after Thanksgiving this year for our WDW trip and I/we have also never been during the holiday season. I'm trying to stick to my lists and book and plan, but I think reading Lia's report and now yours, is really going to help me perhaps...relax and remember to breathe a bit.

I have been to WDW in mid-NOV before, but not since '03, so I'm also hoping I bring the right stuff. I have already told DH we probably won't be needing shorts...Though on my other NOV trips, shorts were ok during the day and I'd wear a sweatshirt, but IDK....shorts in 40- or 50 degree weather at night after the sunsets might be a dangerous thing...so I guess we'll stick to pants/jeans and tshirts with jackets? I figure if we're cold, we'll buy a scarf or hat. ;)

Anyway, I'm totally loving your TR report so far! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read more!:yay:
Welcome!! Remembering to breathe is my #1 tip for any Disney vacation. Obviously going to WDW requires a lot of planning/knowledge, but there's a fine line between preparedness and sucking all the fun out of it. So much of Disney's magic comes from the spontaneous moments you can't plan for. Study up beforehand and then relax. You'll be fine. The week after Thanksgiving is a great time to go. :thumbsup2

For my trip, the highs were in the 70s. During the day, I wore a tshirt, shorts, and a cardigan/light sweatshirt. In the evenings, I changed into pants. I only needed my jacket twice out of the six nights we were there. Strangely enough, we were in the Magic Kingdom both times. Haha.
I'm here! I need to go get caught up!
Yay!!! :cool1:

November 25th Part Four: A Whole New Land
As you may or may not know, Captain Jack Sparrow does M&Gs at MVMCP. I don’t entirely know why because pirates have nothing to do with Christmas and it’s not like they deck his dreads with boughs of holly or anything, but he’s there.

Mom is a big Pirates of the Carribean/Johnny Depp fan. She was really excited about this. I’m not much of a Pirates fan, but since it was what Mom wanted, I didn’t mind. She does so much for me that the least I could do is stand in line with her so she can meet a pirate. It’s not like she was asking me to wait to for an ax murderer or an ostrich or something.

Because the 7 Dwarfs came out early, we made it to Adventureland before Captain Jack’s line got too crazy. Cast members were still setting up the queue ropes and there were only a handful of groups in front of us. Unfortunately, we had to wait awhile for the Captain himself to arrive.

Pirates. You just can’t count on them to show up on time. pirate:

Once Captain Jack awoke from what I’m assuming was a rum-related stupor, the M&G began. I was planning on letting Mom do the picture by herself, but somehow I got dragged in.

Apparently Dad's and the character attendant’s shadows wanted to join us for the picture. Maybe fix the lighting over there, Disney. Just a suggestion.

After that, we got in line to meet the Aladdin characters. Well, Mom and I did. Dad got in line for free cookies and hot chocolate. He brought a hot chocolate over for me while I waited. It was ridiculously hot and I burnt my tongue, but I guess that’s better than lukewarm hot chocolate. Plus, I found the novelty of drinking a hot beverage in Florida highly entertaining. Usually I stick to the coldest things possible, so this little cup of hot chocolate felt special.

At MVMCP, Jasmine/Genie and Aladdin/Abu pair off and alternate appearances throughout the night. When we got in line, Aladdin/Abu had just taken over. Al was in his Prince Ali getup which AHHHHHHH!!!! “Prince Ali” is one of my top favorite Disney songs and I heart Aladdin lots and lots (who doesn’t?), so I was excited.

The line didn’t seem that long, so I figured we’d make it before they switched again. We didn’t. Sigh.

I tried not to be disappointed because A) I’m 22 and B) I knew this was a possibility when I got in line, but I was disappointed. Jasmine’s cool and all but I wanted to meet Prince Ali! *whines* *stomps foot*

Because of the laid-back approach, I looked for the positives. Genie was wearing a cute scarf and Jasmine had her winter coat on, so that’s both unique and thematically appropriate.

When it was my turn, Jasmine asked if I was carrying monkey treats in my bag. We wound up having a whole conversation about the dangers of carrying monkey treats in a bag like mine that hangs at monkey height. Apparently Abu steals them out of hers all the time.

As always seems to happen, we all looked at different cameras. Mom got Genie and the Photopass guy got me and Jasmine. Oh well. :rotfl:

While it had not yet had its official opening, New Fantasyland was open to guests during our trip. In all of the AHHHH CHRISTMAS frenzy, I had completely forgotten about it. After meeting Jasmine, the OMG PRINCESSES lightbulb went on in my head and off to Fantasyland we went.

Before we made it into the expansion, I got sidetracked by Peter Pan and Wendy. They were meeting by the carousel and had a super short line. The picture didn’t turn out, but they were so much fun! Peter loved my hat.

After that detour, it was New Fantasyland time!

I took this picture, quickly realized my camera is terrible at night and put the thing away.

Don’t worry. There will be more later in the TR. Dad did take a few during the party, so hopefully these will tide you over.

Seeing New Fantasyland for the first time at night was weird. I felt like I couldn’t fully take everything in, but it’s really pretty back there with the lights on. The Beast’s Castle is downright magical.

Enchanted Tales with Belle had a long line, so we skipped that for now. Under the Sea – Journey of The Little Mermaid (what a mouthful) was a walk-on, so we hit it. First ride of the trip and it was the brand new one!

The queue is super long but gorgeous. The detail in the rockwork is incredible. All of the water was a good call because while the ride itself doesn’t involve actual water, you still get that Disney water smell. The whole thing is really great.

Scuttle!

As for the ride, I thought it was cute. Sure, it’s not mindblowingly amazing or technologically groundbreaking, but I don’t think it needed to be. It’s just a fun, pleasant ride. The Ursula animatronic is cool. I sang “Kiss The Girl” with Sebastian. This is going to make me sound so stupid but I even caught myself holding my breath when we “went underwater,” so I’d say that effect worked. Ha. UTS-JOTLM (even the acronym is a mouthful) gets a thumbs up from me.

My only complaint is with the lighting in the “Under the Sea” scene. I think it needs to be darker. If you just focus on what’s in front of you, it’s not bad, but I made the mistake of looking up and had an “Oh right we’re in a warehouse” moment. Hopefully they were still tinkering with the light levels when I rode.

After that, we headed over to Gaston’s Tavern.

I’m going to hold off on properly freaking out about the Beauty and the Beast stuff for now. We spent more time there later in the trip and took lots of pictures, so I feel like I should wait and review it all together.

Right now, I’m just going to freak out about LeFou’s Brew.

OUUUDKJFEKBBFBBDSBFBDGKGAJFKCLNFS;

It is so good, you guys.

I’m an apple juice fan, so I knew I’d like it. I didn’t expect to be quite so obsessed though. After one sip, it became one of my top favorite Disney foods. It’s that delicious.

If you haven't tried it, LeFou’s Brew is a frozen apple drink with a hint of toasted marshmallow topped with a passion fruit/mango foam. To me, the foam tasted like candy. Sweet Tarts, specifically. It has a bit of a pucker to it which works really well with the sweetness of the apple juice. So good. Sooooo good.

I got mine in one of the souvenir Gaston mugs which I love. I just hated having to carry it around for the rest of the party. Keep that in mind if you're considering one.

While I was enjoying my Brew, we headed to Main Street to find a spot for Celebrate the Magic (which was brand new at the time) and Holiday Wishes.

This was my first look at the Castle all lit up. Ahhhhhhhh!!! It’s so perfect. There are no words to accurately sum up that level of perfection, so I’ll just let the pictures do the talking.

There was some waiting between finding our spot and Celebrate the Magic. It was then that I began to regret downing a frozen drink. I was already cold enough. I didn’t need to add more. I started shivering. Which WHAT? Shivering? In Florida? I still can’t even believe that’s a thing that happened.

Pants and shivering. Mind blown.

Anyway…

Let’s talk Celebrate the Magic.

I was a big fan of The Magic, The Memories, And You!

I didn’t have a particular attachement to the show itself. The guest photo aspect was whatever and I figured the projections would be just as cool in the new one.

But that song, man. It got me everytime.

EVERY DAY A FAVORITE MEMORYYY
SHARE ANOTHER PERFECT MEMORYYYYYYYY
OPEN UP YOUR HEART AND LET THE MEMORIES BEEEEE-GIIIIIINNNNNN

I teared up just typing that.

So I was not happy that Disney took it away from me. I would have been even more unhappy if Celebrate the Magic was terrible.

Thankfully it isn’t.

In fact, it’s very good. It took a few minutes, but as soon as the Castle turned into the Cheshire Cat, I was sold.

Character explosion!

Wreck-It Ralph!

For the special Christmas segment, they transformed the Castle into a Gingerbread Castle. Amazing. They also covered it in go-to poinsettias. Because duh.

The best part of Celebrate the Magic is that MEG AND HERCULES ARE IN IT! They’re only very briefly part of the finale montage, but I still felt like a proud mother.

Hercules is my absolute favorite Disney movie. Meg is my lifespiration. “I’m a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.” Hades is hilarious. Pegasus is flawless. The songs are great. And Hercules? Well, Hunkules is right. His big blue eyes…his rippling pectorals…Major Disney crush material. His personality’s not bad either. ;) But seriously Herc is adorable and I love him lots. I mean, I love everything about this movie. It’s got so much heart and it’s so funny and I will always be peeved that people don’t love it enough.

So, when they popped up on the Castle, it was like I was Phil seeing Hercules in the stars. It was great. Celebrate the Magic is great. The song’s not as good, but this’ll do. [SMILEY]

Holiday Wishes was next. Once again, I absolutely loved it. It’s really well done. The soundtrack, the fireworks, the use of the Castle…It’s excellent!

I can’t say I’m a fan of The Polar Express as a film, but I have an special attachment to its soundtrack for reasons I won’t bore you with. Holiday Wishes uses “Spirit of the Season” so I instantly filled with warm fuzzies and really, warm fuzzies are what both Christmas and Walt Disney World are all about.

It’s the spirit of the season
You can feel it in the air…

I think the Nutcracker section was my favorite part. I wanted to break into some ballet right then and there.

It’s kind of hard to see, but there are what basically amount to fireworks pinwheels on the Castle. It’s so cool.

May allllll your Christmaaaas WISHES coooome truuuue!​

I know I comment on this in every one of your TRs, but can I just say AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Disney water smell!!!!!! It's always been one of those things that make me smile and think I'm actually here :cloud9: And OMG the castle pictures are amazing!!! :lovestruc

I love Lefous Brew but can't imagine drinking it when it was so chilly out!!!

I'm with you on the Polar Express.... I love the music but am not crazy about the movie! I didn't know it was incorporated in the show!

Love all your pictures!

I loved this update! All of your character photos are adorable and New Fantasyland and Celebrate the Magic! AND Holiday Wishes! AHHH. :love:

I'm in total agreement with everything you just said about Hercules. It's such an awesome movie, and AMEN to the fact that Hercules is not only extremely attractive but a genuinely good guy! I will never understand all the lusting that goes on after Gaston... he's attractive, duh, but a total jerk. DEAL BREAKER. Hercules is perfect. :thumbsup2

I know I comment on this in every one of your TRs, but can I just say AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Disney water smell!!!!!! It's always been one of those things that make me smile and think I'm actually here :cloud9: And OMG the castle pictures are amazing!!! :lovestruc
Disney water smell is the best. :thumbsup2
Great pics of the castle! :)
Thanks!
I love Lefous Brew but can't imagine drinking it when it was so chilly out!!!

I'm with you on the Polar Express.... I love the music but am not crazy about the movie! I didn't know it was incorporated in the show!

Love all your pictures!
Yeah, it was only the one song, but I was so excited that Disney used it. The music from that movie is great.
Great report so far, can't wait to read more!
Thank you!
I loved this update! All of your character photos are adorable and New Fantasyland and Celebrate the Magic! AND Holiday Wishes! AHHH. :love:

I'm in total agreement with everything you just said about Hercules. It's such an awesome movie, and AMEN to the fact that Hercules is not only extremely attractive but a genuinely good guy! I will never understand all the lusting that goes on after Gaston... he's attractive, duh, but a total jerk. DEAL BREAKER. Hercules is perfect. :thumbsup2
I can't lie, Gaston made me swoon when I met him. He's no romantic hero and I'd never really be interested in someone quite so "positively primeval" but he's fun to flirt with. The things he says are just so over the top that my eye rolls are accompanied by giggles. I'm weak, OK. :rotfl: Herc is my one true Disney love for sure though. Did you see that he did M&Gs at Disneyland as part of their Limited Time Magic? I am so jealous of everyone who got to meet him.

I too got the Jasmine & Genie combo, sigh. Jasmine was totally perfect and awesome though, so that helped, but I have been dying to meet Abu for years. For some reason I have been obsessed with meeting him and Max Goof forever. Sigh.

I seriously love Jasmine's winter cloak thing. Like I want to wear that daily.

I just call it the Ariel ride because who can be bothered to say that long name? I'm lazy.

My only complaint is with the lighting in the “Under the Sea” scene. I think it needs to be darker. If you just focus on what’s in front of you, it’s not bad, but I made the mistake of looking up and had an “Oh right we’re in a warehouse” moment.

You oh so perfectly captured my problem with this ride here. I love it more than I can even really explain, like I definitely went on that the most of anything my whole trip and I have a blast on it, but the Under the Sea scene is just not exactly right the way most Disney things are. They need to light it in a way that looks more oceany. I don't know how to fully explain it but yeah, it takes a way from the whole effect.

Ah, LeFou's Brew. Just reading about it makes me thankful to be alive.

I love Celebrate the Magic but I don't think it's mind-blowingly better than MM&Y like a lot of people said. I really miss the part in MM&Y when Walt says "To all who come to this happy place, welcome" because that speech just gets me every time. I agree on the song also, but I do love the CTM song too. Like, I just love everything Disney so much that I don't want anything to change but I also want new things. Le sigh.

Ahhh Christmas seems like such a magical time to go!!! Although...being cold in Disney seems like it would be so weird. I can't even fathom. I love, love, love seeing the characters in their winter attire though. Adorable. Can't wait for more!!

It does seem strange for it to be cold in December at the parks. I do remember having hot chocolate once at Fantasmic so it must have been cool then, but I don't remember.
Thanks for the update!

They SHOULD decorate the dreads of Cap'n Jack. That would be seriously cool. I could not be more serious about that.

You know the shadow would work really well at MNSSHP. Maybe Disney forgot to uninstall it.

I swear nothing is more frustrating (aka extremely hysterically funny) than when everyone is looking at a different camera. That's how you know is it's a REAL Disney photo.

I agree, LeFrou's Brew is delish.

So glad you got to see the castle dream lights. I was just in absolute awe.

I too had a hard time letting go of Magic, Memories and You until I saw the new show and was just simply blown away. I get the connection to the old soundtrack though

And then Holiday Wishes with the pinwheels... Loved that. Of course when you add in perimeter fireworks, I'm an easy sell.

I MISS DISNEY AT CHRISTMAS. GAHHH.

Also, Meg and Herc no longer have their brief comeback moment. When I was there last week I was all excited about it and IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Needless to say I was NOT happy.

I too got the Jasmine & Genie combo, sigh. Jasmine was totally perfect and awesome though, so that helped, but I have been dying to meet Abu for years. For some reason I have been obsessed with meeting him and Max Goof forever. Sigh.

I seriously love Jasmine's winter cloak thing. Like I want to wear that daily.

I just call it the Ariel ride because who can be bothered to say that long name? I'm lazy.

My only complaint is with the lighting in the “Under the Sea” scene. I think it needs to be darker. If you just focus on what’s in front of you, it’s not bad, but I made the mistake of looking up and had an “Oh right we’re in a warehouse” moment.

You oh so perfectly captured my problem with this ride here. I love it more than I can even really explain, like I definitely went on that the most of anything my whole trip and I have a blast on it, but the Under the Sea scene is just not exactly right the way most Disney things are. They need to light it in a way that looks more oceany. I don't know how to fully explain it but yeah, it takes a way from the whole effect.

Ah, LeFou's Brew. Just reading about it makes me thankful to be alive.

I love Celebrate the Magic but I don't think it's mind-blowingly better than MM&Y like a lot of people said. I really miss the part in MM&Y when Walt says "To all who come to this happy place, welcome" because that speech just gets me every time. I agree on the song also, but I do love the CTM song too. Like, I just love everything Disney so much that I don't want anything to change but I also want new things. Le sigh.
I feel ya. M&G!Abu looks adorable. I met Max Goof randomly at Epcot one time. I wish he'd appear regularly. With Goofy too.

Exactly! The "going underwater" effect really works, but the second you enter the big "Under the Sea" scene, it falls apart. Yes, there are fish everywhere, but it no longer feels like you're underwater. It's a cute scene, but it feels disconnected from the rest of the ride because of the lighting.

Agreed about the Walt quote. I do like the "It was all started by a mouse" with the clip of Mickey being all "Aw shucks" in Celebrate the Magic, but "To all who come to this happy place, welcome" felt more powerful.
Ahhh Christmas seems like such a magical time to go!!! Although...being cold in Disney seems like it would be so weird. I can't even fathom. I love, love, love seeing the characters in their winter attire though. Adorable. Can't wait for more!!
It's definitely a magical time to go. I don't think being cold in Disney will ever stop being weird for me though. :rotfl:
It does seem strange for it to be cold in December at the parks. I do remember having hot chocolate once at Fantasmic so it must have been cool then, but I don't remember.
Thanks for the update!
It's such a strange feeling. All throughout the party, I kept having these moments of "Wow. I'm wearing a coat right now. Weird."
They SHOULD decorate the dreads of Cap'n Jack. That would be seriously cool. I could not be more serious about that.

You know the shadow would work really well at MNSSHP. Maybe Disney forgot to uninstall it.

I swear nothing is more frustrating (aka extremely hysterically funny) than when everyone is looking at a different camera. That's how you know is it's a REAL Disney photo.

I agree, LeFrou's Brew is delish.

So glad you got to see the castle dream lights. I was just in absolute awe.

I too had a hard time letting go of Magic, Memories and You until I saw the new show and was just simply blown away. I get the connection to the old soundtrack though

And then Holiday Wishes with the pinwheels... Loved that. Of course when you add in perimeter fireworks, I'm an easy sell.
Right? Just stick a few jingle bells and an ornament or two in there. It'd be perfect. :thumbsup2

That's how you know is it's a REAL Disney photo. So true.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the perimeter fireworks! Those are awesome as well.
I MISS DISNEY AT CHRISTMAS. GAHHH.

Also, Meg and Herc no longer have their brief comeback moment. When I was there last week I was all excited about it and IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Needless to say I was NOT happy.
WHAT? Nooooooooo. Why, Disney? Whyyyyyyy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter