"IF I HEAR SLEIGH RIDE ONE MORE TIME" - A Nov 2012 Holiday Extravaganza UPDATED 10/18

I'm joining in!

I love your OSU sweatpants in the "I'm wearing pants in Florida!" picture. And your "I'm celebrating" button is so cute! I'm still irritated by the whole no-bowl-game thing though. :(

So I was reading the first few entries of your TR and it was bothering me because it felt like there was something missing, and then I realized that your sister wasn't on this trip! I'm guessing that she had school?

We are also big on OSU. Not really where I live per se, but my family. We have a bunch of relatives near Columbus so it's perfect. That halftime show was incredible. It's the two best things in one place!

I love that it says "Get down Polyester." That makes me laugh. I don't know why.

"The Browns actually won." :rotfl:

That I'm Celebrating tagline >>>>>

Whatever camera you use is very sharp and the colors in your photos really POP.

:lmao:

Knee-slapper pun if ever there was one.

Count me in!!
WELCOME! :goodvibes
I am EXACTLY the same when it comes to packing. Omg it's ridiculous, I'll be so excited for a trip and then the day comes and I'm like...oh wait right I should probably pack now.

Yay for Pop Century!! It's such a fun resort, one of my favorites. I love all the little details!

and omg I am dying at the NSYNC thing. I loved them when I was younger and now that's all I'm gonna think of when I look at the giant POP! things everywhere haha. excited to read more! :)
Yep. I'm kind of envious of the people who get all their packing done, like, days in advance. I don't know how they do it! :rotfl:

Right? Pop Century is so fun. And thinking of *NSYNC just makes it more fun.
I think I my have laughed out loud a few times. I love your writing style. Joining in. ::wave::
Welcome and thank you!! :woohoo:
I'm in!!!
Woo-hoo! :banana:
:rotfl:
I can completely relate to your packing problem. I go to Disney in the summer. I know what to pack. It's easy. But cold at Disney? I can be sitting there staring at the current Orlando temperature. It says 49 degrees. I know that is cold and yet I still can't compute that I need to put a sweater in that suitcase. Florida is warm..How could this be?:confused3. It's confusing.
Now give me my yearly August trip? I know what I need to pack..shorts, t-shirts.. the number for the med emerg clinic for when I keel over from heat and dehydration. That I can deal with:rotfl:
Exactly! Packing for the summer is so easy, but my brain could not compute packing for cooler weather.

I love how you can make the lead-up and travel days so entertaining. And I'm right there with you... I hate packing. Of course I hate the return packing MUCH more. :goodvibes

I just statyed at POP for the very first time last month and that was my initial impression as well... fun. And energetic.

Plus I became totally obsessed with resort welcome mats. :thumbsup2
Right there with you. Packing to go home is just awful.

Yep, energetic is right. It's definitely an in-your-face kinda place as opposed to some of the more laid back resorts, but I liked it.
Just subscribed and got caught up. I'm looking forward to reading all about your Christmas trip! Why didn't your sister (Katie?) go with y'all? I'm glad you're liking POP so far. I prefer POR (but haven't stayed at FQ side yet), but POP is a good value. If only they had queen beds!
Unfortunately, Katie couldn't take the time off. She's a busy gal.

POR is next on our "Let's Stay Here" resort list, so I'm glad to hear you really like it. We loved French Quarter last summer, so we're hoping we'll like Riverside just as much.
I was planning on joining in and then I read that you're a buckeyes fan and I dunno if I can do that to my Michigan ways :P

I guess I'll still stick around though.
:rotfl: Don't worry. I'll try not to be too much of a Buckeye. ;)
I'm in and caught up! Looking forward to your TR - great start!! BTW, who said we are supposed to take Christmas decorations down? I didn't get that memo!! :lmao:
Thank you! If we as a society could agree that leaving Christmas decorations up is not a faux pas, I think that'd be great.
Subbing. Reading from my phone so I still need to see your pics. They just load so slowly.

I love the way you described people"s opinions of the value.

Fun thread.
Thanks!! :goodvibes
Great trip report title! We loved Pop Century too! I look forward to reading more about your terrific trip!
Thanks! :yay:
Whoops, forgot to add: That is great advice to always bring a Sharpie. I have a mini one that I take with me everywhere in my cellphone/key holder!
Yep. Sharpies are so useful.

I had the same problem the first time I went to Florida in December! Then when I went the next year, I knew exactly what to pack. Except it was much warmer the next year, so I really can't win. :laughing:

OH MY, your Pop pictures are getting me EXCITED. BAHHH. And I totally hear that exact line from the song every time I see pictures of POP too! Great minds.
Hahaha Well, when it's finally cold again, you'll be prepared.

Soooo...you're at Pop right now!! I hope you're enjoying it!!!
I'm joining in!

I love your OSU sweatpants in the "I'm wearing pants in Florida!" picture. And your "I'm celebrating" button is so cute! I'm still irritated by the whole no-bowl-game thing though. :(

So I was reading the first few entries of your TR and it was bothering me because it felt like there was something missing, and then I realized that your sister wasn't on this trip! I'm guessing that she had school?
Yay! Thank you!! I love those sweatpants too. The no-bowl-game thing was pretty irritating. I guess we'll just have to win the National Championship this year to make up for it. :thumbsup2

Yep, Katie had school. We made sure she was OK with us going without her though.
Joining in. Love your TR's.
Thank you!! :goodvibes
I'm in! Love your TRs!
Thanks!!:woohoo:
We are also big on OSU. Not really where I live per se, but my family. We have a bunch of relatives near Columbus so it's perfect. That halftime show was incredible. It's the two best things in one place!

I love that it says "Get down Polyester." That makes me laugh. I don't know why.

"The Browns actually won." :rotfl:

That I'm Celebrating tagline >>>>>

Whatever camera you use is very sharp and the colors in your photos really POP.

:lmao:

Knee-slapper pun if ever there was one.
I <3 the Ohio State Marching Band a lot, but I <3 them even more for that halftime show.

Right? The things the POP buildings say crack me up.

Hahahahahaha My camera (and my dad's since some of these are his) thanks you! :upsidedow

AT LONG LAST, a trip report that will discuss gorilla soap operas! I thought I was the only one. Also, snoap worries me. Like I really want that to get in my eye.

Ratcliffe is so disgusting. Like. What. You and Meeko are so adorable, though.

I got so sick of a lot of songs during my Christmas trip. Just in general hearing Christmas music instead of the normal park music in certain areas was WRONG. Thank God they keep my beloved 1 hour ToT loop in tact.

Sorry about your pre-trip meltdown. :( It's perfect that you overpacked because I did NOT bring enough warm clothes. Early December is the freaking weirdest Florida weather. One day it's hot, one day you're wearing a leather jacket in Animal Kingdom and you're still freezing.

OMG I forgot you stayed at POP!!! Yay, it's my DVC home resort! And I hope you get to go back when they're playing their own loop b/c as I've said, *NSYNC is played on the regular and in general it's just the best playlist ever.

Yes, Pluto IS breakdancing on the Pop comforter. If this isn't the thing that will get the people who usually stay at the Grand Floridian over to Pop, I don't know what it'll be! Maybe that Goofy is dressed as a hippie? I DON'T KNOW.

CHICKEN PENNE ALFREDO HAS BEEN DELETED FROM THE POP MENU. I was outraged. Thankfully, they still have it at All Star Movies. WHEW. Close one.

Well, I am SO excited for this TR! Thanks for helping soften the "UGH I'M HOME" blow for me tonight! I'm especially into the whole no ADRs, winging it kinda thing! Yay!!

You had me at the 12-0H button (if confused, see user name).

Coolest. Celebration. Button. Ever.
A+ user name!! Thanks for joining in!
AT LONG LAST, a trip report that will discuss gorilla soap operas! I thought I was the only one. Also, snoap worries me. Like I really want that to get in my eye.

Ratcliffe is so disgusting. Like. What. You and Meeko are so adorable, though.

I got so sick of a lot of songs during my Christmas trip. Just in general hearing Christmas music instead of the normal park music in certain areas was WRONG. Thank God they keep my beloved 1 hour ToT loop in tact.

Sorry about your pre-trip meltdown. :( It's perfect that you overpacked because I did NOT bring enough warm clothes. Early December is the freaking weirdest Florida weather. One day it's hot, one day you're wearing a leather jacket in Animal Kingdom and you're still freezing.

OMG I forgot you stayed at POP!!! Yay, it's my DVC home resort! And I hope you get to go back when they're playing their own loop b/c as I've said, *NSYNC is played on the regular and in general it's just the best playlist ever.

Yes, Pluto IS breakdancing on the Pop comforter. If this isn't the thing that will get the people who usually stay at the Grand Floridian over to Pop, I don't know what it'll be! Maybe that Goofy is dressed as a hippie? I DON'T KNOW.

CHICKEN PENNE ALFREDO HAS BEEN DELETED FROM THE POP MENU. I was outraged. Thankfully, they still have it at All Star Movies. WHEW. Close one.

Well, I am SO excited for this TR! Thanks for helping soften the "UGH I'M HOME" blow for me tonight! I'm especially into the whole no ADRs, winging it kinda thing! Yay!!
Lia, there was some serious gorilla drama. It was enthralling. Like, I would say it had me on the edge of my seat except I was standing.

Ratcliffe is disgusting. Why pair the adorable raccoon up with that thing for photo ops? There were a lot of small children in the area and I was just like, how are you all not running in away in terror???

Yeah, I assumed I'd enjoy hearing Christmas music in the parks, but it...no. The regular loops are such a big part of the Disney experience that it felt weird without them.

Based on how I reacted to POP's bus music, I would agree that the resort loop is probably the best ever. I mean, anything that includes *NSYNC is. That's why I'm still mad On the Line didn't win 254983954 Academy Awards. What were you thinking, Academy?

WHAT? They got rid of the Chicken Penne Alfredo? Whyyyyy?

I'm glad I could help. :)

November 25th Part Three: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
As the title says, on the very first night of our very first holiday trip, we headed to the Magic Kingdom for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party!

This was a momentous occasion.

MVMCP is one of those things I’ve always wanted to do. I thought it was a fitting way to kick things off because, over the years, attending the party kind of came to symbolize my dream of a Christmas trip as a whole. After all, you can't go to the party any other time of year.

We left for the Magic Kingdom around 4:45. The bus arrived quickly. Just to get this out of the way now, we were really happy with the bus service from Pop Century. The buses were almost always full, but we rarely had to wait long. The only iffy moments were at park closing, but even those weren’t terrible. When there are a bunch of people trying to get to the same place at the same time, backups happen. If you have somewhere you really have to be, pay for a cab.

Anyway, hearing Bus Voice Guy’s voice again filled me with warm fuzzies. I love that man. Well, I love his voice. I couldn’t tell you what he’s like as a person. Probably not nearly as peppy and probably doesn’t use the term “motor coach” nearly as much.

The warm fuzzies quadrupled as we pulled into MK and the Mickey Mouse Club March kicked in. It’s so perfect. I don’t know how anyone could hear/experience that and not feel the rush of OH MY GOSH WE’RE HERE GLJHSSHFGDSLD!!!!!!!

MICKEY’S VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS PARTY!!!!!

And more go-to poinsettias. I told you they were everywhere.

They had special turnstiles set aside for all the party people.

Does anyone remember the Disney-fied version of “Whoomp! There It Is” that Tag Team recorded called “Whoomp! There It Went” about Donald’s birthday celebration? No? Well, it starts with Mickey yelling PARTYYYYYYY PEOPLEEEEEE, so it’s stuck in my head now.

Also, I’m pretty sure Breakdancing Pluto from the Pop Century beds is breakdancing to this song.

Moving on…

“Take a look at banner, Michael!”

Sorry. I’ve been on an Arrested Development binge for the past week.

We headed inside and got our wristbands. I should probably note that while MVMCP doesn’t begin until 7, they start letting the PARTYYYY PEOPLEEEEEE in earlier. At 4, I believe.

The Train Station was looking extra festive.

WOOOHOOOOOOO.

We took a few minutes to take everything in. I mean, I was standing on a Christmas-ed out Main Street and wearing pants. It was a let-this-soak-in-because-omg moment for sure.

Before the trip, I decided I needed a Santa hat with Mickey ears, so buying one was the first thing we did.

Some hats in The Chapeau’s window.

The traditional red Santa hats were kinda small for my big head, so I opted for the red and green plaid version. It’s cute and it feels like pajamas. Plus, I have more of a plaid personality. Like, it sounds dumb, but it’s true. I *do* have a plaid personality. Interpret that as you see fit. ;)

The cast member at The Chapeau was kind enough to remove the tag so I could wear it for the party. I didn’t even have to ask. As we were leaving, one of the survey-taking CMs asked if I’d take one about my experience. Because of the tag-removing CM’s excellent service, I said yes. You’re probably saying “You paid $60+ a person to stand there and take a survey?” Yes. Yes I did. Why not?

The thing about MVMCP is that, for me, just being at the party was enough. I didn’t really have a long list of stuff I absolutely had to do. There were a handful of things, but mostly I was content seeing where the winds took us. We didn’t wanna burn out on our first night in WDW by storming through the Magic Kingdom and trying to cram everything in. There’s absolutely a time and place for such behavior, but this wasn't it. At least not for us. And we were all OK with that. The party was sold out which meant there’d be people everywhere and lines would be long, so I figured taking the laid-back approach was the right call.

After the survey, we finally made it out of Town Square.

Picture time!

I’ve invented a new trend: Bunsen Honeydewing.

My eyes sometimes squint when I smile (and I wasn't wearing any eye makeup which didn't help), so, from a distance, it only kind of looks like I actually have eyes behind my glasses. Hence Bunsen Honeydewing.

All the cool kids are doing it.

Like I said, we had a handful of party must-do’s. One of them was getting a picture with the 7 Dwarfs. Since it’s recommended to get in line for that early on, that’s what we did.

Dream Along with Mickey was happening as we headed to Frontierland.

I’ve still never stopped to watch it, but I’ve passed by enough times that I know the songs. That counts, right?

A nearly empty Splash Mountain queue. Weird. I am not used to seeing that so late in the day.

During MVMCP, the 7 Dwarfs meet at the exit to Splash. Since it was only a little before 6:00, the park was still open to regular guests and Woody and Jessie were meeting there.

Whenever I see Jessie, I hear “KEEP SHOOTIN’ BUCKAROOS!!!” in my head. Toy Story Mania has ruined me.

A Cast Member set up a special line for us PARTYYYY PEOPLEEEEE to wait in. Mom, Dad, and I were the third group. Once Woody and Jessie were done for the day, they moved us into that “official” line. We had time to kill, so I plopped onto the ground and chilled. The wait wasn’t bad at all. I was still in that is-this-real-life haze, so just sitting on Disney ground and smelling Disney air brought me joy. Also, a little girl near us was watching (and singing along to) the Trolley Show on her Dad’s phone which entertained me. She’s totally going to be a DISer someday.

Eventually workers came out to set up the photo-op.

They had a hard time getting the lights in the trees to stay on. It was funny. Then I felt bad for laughing because I’d hate to have an audience while putting up my Christmas decorations. It's never pretty. Ha.

As the sun set, it got cooler. So much so that I put on my Northface jacket. Ahhhhh. I mean, what? A jacket? In Disney? I don’t even know what to say about that.

The Dwarfs wound up coming out around quarter ‘til 7. I don’t know if that’s normal or if it’s something they just did that night, but it was nice. Less waiting!

They were adorable and so in-character. I loved their scarves and the jingle bells on their hats. So cute.

Before long, it was our turn.

Because of the set up and where the Dwarfs directed us to stand, we blocked out two of them but whatever. Laid-back approach, remember? Six and a half pairs of their eyes sufficed. :santa:

AHHHHHHH Christmas time at Disney - a beautiful blend of two beautiful things!!! I haven't been to Disney during that time of year since 1997 but I remember it well - we were actually there for Christmas! I remember that we had to buy gloves because - even in December - we didn't think to bring them to FLORIDA! :sad2: My goal is to go to Disney in each month month (well, not the same year... but that sure would be nice!) I'm getting close! ;)

Oh, I love Bus Guy's voice too. Really, how can you not?! No joke, on my last trip we stayed at Bay Lake Tower and a little part of me was sad that I wouldn't get to hear that voice going to the Magic Kingdom. Yes I am weird.

YAY MVMCP! It is such a fun event. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Cute pic with the Dwarves! I'm planning to attend my first MNSSHP this year and I'm looking forward to meeting them there.

I love Christmas TRs. Christmas is my favorite time of the year, and it's great being at Disney then.

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT BINGE!! I'm ALREADY waiting on season 5 and ANUSTART!!!

I totally loved MVMCP wayyyy back in 2009. Christmas in MK is just breathtaking.

Haha, I totally bought a Santa Hat for the party, but it was the night prior and at Epcot. The girl in the store wouldn't let me leave unless I wore it right then and there.

AHH well now I miss Christmas at Disney now! I can't wait to hear more about your MVMCP. It was definitely a huge mistake that we didn't do that when I was there in December, but that's just one more thing to look forward to next time I guess! You look SO cute in your hat, I absolutely love it!

Great pictures with the dwarves! I love that they are part of the characters at the party.

A jacket? Brrrrr! It's hard to think about it being that cold in Florida, but it certainly does happen.

Great pics!

Ahhhhh!!!! I love the christmas party!!! Except I've never been big on the M&G before. That's my new goal for the Halloween party!
Love this pic of you guys and the 6 1/2 dwarves!

I just read your last report and caught up here. I enjoyed your writing and can't wait to read the rest. We actually stayed at aoa right after you left. I'm interested to hear how you ended up liking the cooler weather. I live near dlr and never go during the summer because of the heat and crowds. Since it's the same weather as at my house, you would think I would be fine, but I swear carsland, toontown and parts of tomorrowland defy the laws of physics and are hotter than the sun. I think I would actually melt in Florida in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter