Idea for Podcast or is there a past Podcast I've missed on "Orlando Food"

DisneyKentucky

DIS Veteran
I actually work out and listen to the podcasts and I really love the food talk. It's weird but hearing people describe food makes me work out harder. That said, because of Kevin (or maybe it was Pete) my DW and I have decided we're taking our daughter out to the "The Ravenous Pig." I know this is typically about Disney but I am a big fan of original restaurants that can only be found in one city.

Also, Food Trucks. Just listened to last years podcast about that. I'm next to Nashville and there are a ton in Music City and I wondered if there are some we need to try in Orlando.

Thanks for any responses from the Team or anyone who has a great idea (FWIW, any Farm to Table places would be awesome).

I actually work out and listen to the podcasts and I really love the food talk. It's weird but hearing people describe food makes me work out harder. That said, because of Kevin (or maybe it was Pete) my DW and I have decided we're taking our daughter out to the "The Ravenous Pig." I know this is typically about Disney but I am a big fan of original restaurants that can only be found in one city.

Also, Food Trucks. Just listened to last years podcast about that. I'm next to Nashville and there are a ton in Music City and I wondered if there are some we need to try in Orlando.

Thanks for any responses from the Team or anyone who has a great idea (FWIW, any Farm to Table places would be awesome).

Guess no one liked the idea. I'd still love to know of food in Orlando. I am planning 4Rivers, Cask and Larder and Ravenous Pig. Anyone ever eat at one of these 3?

4Rivers is good for FL BBQ...it was much better before they startd belieiving their own hype and started expanding...better than most places around here but pales in comparison to most BBQ places I grew up with in TX

i hear really good things about C&L and Ravenous Pig but just haven't had the $ and/or time to go to either

4Rivers is good for FL BBQ...it was much better before they startd belieiving their own hype and started expanding...better than most places around here but pales in comparison to most BBQ places I grew up with in TX

i hear really good things about C&L and Ravenous Pig but just haven't had the $ and/or time to go to either

Good to know. I've never been blown away with Florida BBQ (I spent most of my summers in Alabama) but, I am always looking. Where else is good I should hit in Orlando (local coffee shops as well).

Orlando Weekly just released their best of Orlando list this week so you could browse through that online for some ideas...

Luma on Park ($$$)

903 Mills ($)

don't know any good coffee shop as I'm not a coffee person but First Watch, KeKe Breakfast Cafe, and Hash House A Go Go are all good breakfast choices...

BubbaLou's is pretty good BBQ...just avoid Sonny's like the plague...no idea how these restaurants stay in business...I fell into the trap thinking it was related to Sonny Bryan's which is a good chain place in TX but it's not

Going off of some of the things already said... 4 Rivers is about as close to TX BBQ as you'll get, and it is good, but crazy overpriced and wayyy too crowded.

903 Mills Market is a delicious little place that doesn't get nearly enough respect.

I like both First Watch and Keke's, but they fall into "good generic local breakfast cafe place." I'm more than happy to go to either, but I never really get a craving to go to any in particular.

If there's anywhere special you are curious about, I'm more than happy to go do some investigating ;)

A few years ago John and Kevin did a review for Bonefish Grill. We went based on their review, and its now a must-do for us when in central Florida. Love the "bang-bang shrimp"... yes, its a chain, not sure what you are looking for, but we enjoy it enough to keep going back.

I guess I missed this thread the first time around. :surfweb:

John & Kevin have done a couple of reviews of off-property restaurants on the show. Besides the aforementioned Ravenous Pig and Bonefish Grille though I'm not remembering the others. Safe to say their off property reviews aren't frequent.

Kevin has also posted a few reviews on the FoodieTales website (just click on the logo in my sig) that may be interesting reading.

I guess I missed this thread the first time around. :surfweb:

John & Kevin have done a couple of reviews of off-property restaurants on the show. Besides the aforementioned Ravenous Pig and Bonefish Grille though I'm not remembering the others. Safe to say their off property reviews aren't frequent.

Kevin has also posted a few reviews on the FoodieTales website (just click on the logo in my sig) that may be interesting reading.

I never could find a review on Ravenous Pig from them. I'm not that interested in Bonefish Grille if it's the chain Bonefish Grille since I can eat there where I live.

903 Mills, Breakfast or Lunch? If you had to choose one.

Luma on Park looks fantastic. My child (although 4) has been to many fine dining restaurants. Doubt this is one I'd want to take her, anyone want to babysit? :hyper:

Seriously trying to squeeze in 903 right now for the plans in Nov. if not January.

We have First Watch in Kentucky but, the photos for Keke's looks fantastic.

I won't out them but someone PM this to me and "Beefy King" intrigues me as I love Local Fast Food. Tends to have more soul than the chains and usually ma and pop feel:

I'm not a local either, but I do try to include a non-WDW place on a trip as much as I can. I've been to Ravenous Pig, Cask & Larder, and Luma on Park.
Ravenous Pig: I loved this place; good beers and upscale (but not hoity-doity fancy) pub/comfort food; serious/seriously good food but not a serious vibe; I've had great lunch and dinner there and I'm hoping someday my trip dates will align with one of their pig roasts
Cask & Larder: From the same folks as RP; can't say too much because I wasn't feeling so great that day/can't remember what I had; menu looked good (especially the charcuterie) so I need to go back to do it right
Luma: A little more upscale but not uncomfortably so; good for wine and they'll work to find something you'll like. If you have a group of 2-4? (I'm guessing about the size), call and try to book the chef's table. It's set up right off the open kitchen and you'll get a few extra snacks.
I think all 3
I also like Bull & Bear in the Waldorf - last year both B&B and La Luce at the other end of the Waldorf/Hilton complex had weekly tasting menus that I thought were quite good.

Other places that I want to try (off the top of my head):
Prato = WP, same team as Luma
Hamilton Kitchen = WP, opening soon at Rollin College's new hotel Alford Inn; chef Chris Windus was exec chef at Bluezoo for years until he left to open this; looks like it will be upscale/modern takes on Southern
Hanamizuki = I-Drive; recommended by a friend whose tastes I trust/are similar (of course meaningless for you for kaiseki Japanese
Beefy King = fast-foody steamed roast beef sandwiches; supposedly similar to Roy Rogers or Arby's chains (I *loved* Roy Rogers, growing up)

Just wanted to mention that Val & I have done a few off-property restaurants. We've done the Bonefish Grill that Kevin & John frequent and really enjoyed it. However, I've heard that others in this chain are a bit inconsistent.

We've also done Bull & Bear at the Waldorf and its a spectacular meal. Expensive but a really good dining experience. I'd rate the steak there as good as Shula's at the Dolphin.

Once we move to FL, we'll be doing reviews of the local restaurants for FoodieTales.

Beefy King is a good sandwich and the spuds (tots) are pretty good too...much better than Arby's as this meat is fresh and not processed
I

Beefy King is a slightly better Arby's. But IMO, it's one of those things that locals just love because it is theirs... not because it is so much better than the competition.

Beefy King is a slightly better Arby's. But IMO, it's one of those things that locals just love because it is theirs... not because it is so much better than the competition.

Well, that's disappointing. Although, many towns love their ma and pop fast food.

Another I've considered but seems to be glossed over by most is Yellow Dog Eats. Anyone have the chance to dine here?

Well, that's disappointing. Although, many towns love their ma and pop fast food.

Another I've considered but seems to be glossed over by most is Yellow Dog Eats. Anyone have the chance to dine here?

Have been to Yellow Dog Eats many times. the sandwiches are great

I used to work nearby. I havent been back in several years only because it's now truly out of the way.

This is not centrally located to anyone but the folks the in Ocoee, Winter Garden area.

I used to work nearby. I havent been back in several years only because it's now truly out of the way.

This is not centrally located to anyone but the folks the in Ocoee, Winter Garden area.

Nice. I noticed it was a bit out of the way. Ravenous Pig and 4Rivers also seems out of the way but, if it's that good..... I am worth the drive.

Yellow Dog Eats literally could not be anymore out of the way. I lived behind MK for 6 months which is 10 minutes from EVERYTHING... and it still took 20 minutes to get there.

With that said, it IS delicious. Although I'm still bitter that I ordered a side of pasta salad and got a container the size of a thimble.

All things considered though, assuming you'll be at Disney, if you're discussing 4Rivers and Ravenous Pig... those are both 30ish minute drives up I-4... so if you're willing to do that, taking the back roads to Yellow Dog is entirely feasible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter