• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Iceland Day 3 Change

So you don't wear your own shoes/boots, you had footed suits and booties? And they were loose enough to put multiple pairs of socks on under? I'm thinking I will do that, because cold feet make me miserable, too. I sure hope the activity is worth all this!! :)

Sayhello

Yes, the dry suit is like one big onezie PJs, they have "socks" of their own, but you should keep your socks on. Over top of the suit's socks, you put neoprene booties. these are not part of the dry suit and will get wet. Because of the cold of the booties and the pressure of your feet against them, you will feel like your feet are wet, but they are not, your brain is tricking you. And yes, the suits come in all sizes so you can wear as many layers underneath as you feel you need. I'm not a good judge of what is cold, I'm from Michigan and am very used to the cold, but from what I'm reading you may want to double your socks layers and double your jacket layers. Eddie Bauer sells an amazing pair of lined "all terrain" pants that I bought last winter and they were the only pair of pants I wore when I was in Iceland because they were warm and could shed the rain. Wool products are also great because they are a great insulator and work even when they get wet.

And I can't stress this enough: if you don't want to get in the water, you do not have to. Unless your guide pulls an epic fail like what happened on my tour and stops paying attention to the river and causes his boat to flip, you will not go in the river.

Yes, the dry suit is like one big onezie PJs, they have "socks" of their own, but you should keep your socks on. Over top of the suit's socks, you put neoprene booties. these are not part of the dry suit and will get wet. Because of the cold of the booties and the pressure of your feet against them, you will feel like your feet are wet, but they are not, your brain is tricking you. And yes, the suits come in all sizes so you can wear as many layers underneath as you feel you need. I'm not a good judge of what is cold, I'm from Michigan and am very used to the cold, but from what I'm reading you may want to double your socks layers and double your jacket layers. Eddie Bauer sells an amazing pair of lined "all terrain" pants that I bought last winter and they were the only pair of pants I wore when I was in Iceland because they were warm and could shed the rain. Wool products are also great because they are a great insulator and work even when they get wet.

And I can't stress this enough: if you don't want to get in the water, you do not have to. Unless your guide pulls an epic fail like what happened on my tour and stops paying attention to the river and causes his boat to flip, you will not go in the river.
Are these the pants you wore?

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/w...-pants/23151059?showProducts=&sizetype=&size=

If so, I have 2 pairs of these that I'm bringing. I'd be very happy to hear that these served you for the whole trip. I'm from Ohio, so not quite as cold as you, but I'm still pretty used to cold.

Were they even good around the waterfalls, especially the one you go behind?

And I have *NO* intentions of getting in the water! :)

Although there's not much you can do about epic fails!

Thanks!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Are these the pants you wore?

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/w...-pants/23151059?showProducts=&sizetype=&size=

If so, I have 2 pairs of these that I'm bringing. I'd be very happy to hear that these served you for the whole trip. I'm from Ohio, so not quite as cold as you, but I'm still pretty used to cold.

Were they even good around the waterfalls, especially the one you go behind?

And I have *NO* intentions of getting in the water! :)

Although there's not much you can do about epic fails!

Thanks!

Sayhello

Yes, those are the pants! I love them so much they're the only pants I would wear walking around campus this past winter. It was like wearing a pair of nice warm sweatpants but with the durability of mountain-climbing gear. I had no problems around the waterfalls with them, even the one we walked behind. The water sheds like it does for rain pants and the inside lining doesn't get wet. Now, if you have a phone/camera/headphones in your pockets, I can't guarantee those won't get wet/ruined, but your body will be warm and dry.

Yeah one of the rafting guides was busy splashing the boat behind him and they hit a rock going through the rapids and the boat tipped over. There were very unhappy people on that raft.

@sayhello these are photos from our rafting trip in Alaska this summer. If the suits are the same this should give you an idea of what they looked like, including the booties (and how they worked in the water--this water was glacier-fed so much too cold to swim in, but my daughter was fine and stayed dry in the suit when she jumped in). I also can't stand turtlenecks or things too tight on my neck, but I wasn't bothered by these.

drysuits2.jpgdrysuits.jpg

@sayhello these are photos from our rafting trip in Alaska this summer. If the suits are the same this should give you an idea of what they looked like, including the booties (and how they worked in the water--this water was glacier-fed so much too cold to swim in, but my daughter was fine and stayed dry in the suit when she jumped in). I also can't stand turtlenecks or things too tight on my neck, but I wasn't bothered by these.

View attachment 345709View attachment 345710
Thanks, Emily! That doesn't look too bad. Awkward, but not too bad.

Sayhello

View attachment 345709View attachment 345710

can confirm these are what they looked like in Iceland, only a different color

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter