Iceland Day 3 Change

Rebecca White

Gal_From _Gallifrey
Before I get to the change that will most likely be made to the itinerary for next year, I would just like to start off by saying holy crap this trip was amazing!!! I love outdoors-y trips, and this one takes the cake. We were hiking, rafting, swimming, and boating from sunrise til sunset. Our guides, Drew and Julli, were the best adventure guides I've had yet, and this was my 12th ABD trip. However, this trip also has the most bus time of any adventure: over 28 hours are spent on the bus. And with that being said, let me tell you what happened on day 3 of our itinerary that I hope will be the new official itinerary for the trip in the coming years:

I was on the 8/4-8/11 tour. Day three typically starts out with an early morning as this is the day of the Skaftafell glacier hike. At breakfast our guides told us there was severe flooding in that area and the road had been blown out to make room for the water. We would not be going to the glacier hike or boat cruise that day. But, in true Disney fashion our guides had several back up plans. After seeing Seljalandsfoss we made an extra stop at Skogafoss, which was even more brilliant than Seljalandsfoss. You could hike up to the top of the falls and stand on a platform out over the precipice. Lunch at Vik was the same, located in a shopping mall right on the black sand beaches. Our guide Julli said we would not be able to see any puffins at this time of year as they have left the island for their winter nesting grounds, but at the second of the unplanned stops we came across a puffin roosting cliff! This black sand beach was at the southern most tip of Iceland, and there were hundreds of puffins flying around the mossy basalt columns and out in the ocean. Our guides had to drag us away from the beach as we didn't want to go! But they had saved the best for last: Julli called in a few favors and got us a glacier hike on Solheimajokull glacier, not 45 minutes from our hotel in Vik. The tour company Troll Expeditions came in on their day off to guide us up the glacier. According to Drew, this hike was actually more scenic and more rugged than the Skaftafell glacier as we actually hike up the glacier, not simply on it. Dinner that night was at the hotel in Vik, with drinks on the mouse!! Everyone, including our guides, agreed that this new itinerary was far better than the original with 5 less hours on the bus and a chance to see the puffins, and Drew said he would suggest changing the set itinerary to match what we had done today.

I realize that, since I did not get to do the Skaftafell glacier hike, I can't really make a good comparison between the two, but arriving at our hotel at 6:30 pm instead of 11:30 pm makes up the difference. I have many puffin pictures, but I just returned last night from the Denmark Short Escape ABD and haven't even unpacked yet :P Let me know what you all think!

Before I get to the change that will most likely be made to the itinerary for next year, I would just like to start off by saying holy crap this trip was amazing!!! I love outdoors-y trips, and this one takes the cake. We were hiking, rafting, swimming, and boating from sunrise til sunset. Our guides, Drew and Julli, were the best adventure guides I've had yet, and this was my 12th ABD trip. However, this trip also has the most bus time of any adventure: over 28 hours are spent on the bus. And with that being said, let me tell you what happened on day 3 of our itinerary that I hope will be the new official itinerary for the trip in the coming years:

I was on the 8/4-8/11 tour. Day three typically starts out with an early morning as this is the day of the Skaftafell glacier hike. At breakfast our guides told us there was severe flooding in that area and the road had been blown out to make room for the water. We would not be going to the glacier hike or boat cruise that day. But, in true Disney fashion our guides had several back up plans. After seeing Seljalandsfoss we made an extra stop at Skogafoss, which was even more brilliant than Seljalandsfoss. You could hike up to the top of the falls and stand on a platform out over the precipice. Lunch at Vik was the same, located in a shopping mall right on the black sand beaches. Our guide Julli said we would not be able to see any puffins at this time of year as they have left the island for their winter nesting grounds, but at the second of the unplanned stops we came across a puffin roosting cliff! This black sand beach was at the southern most tip of Iceland, and there were hundreds of puffins flying around the mossy basalt columns and out in the ocean. Our guides had to drag us away from the beach as we didn't want to go! But they had saved the best for last: Julli called in a few favors and got us a glacier hike on Solheimajokull glacier, not 45 minutes from our hotel in Vik. The tour company Troll Expeditions came in on their day off to guide us up the glacier. According to Drew, this hike was actually more scenic and more rugged than the Skaftafell glacier as we actually hike up the glacier, not simply on it. Dinner that night was at the hotel in Vik, with drinks on the mouse!! Everyone, including our guides, agreed that this new itinerary was far better than the original with 5 less hours on the bus and a chance to see the puffins, and Drew said he would suggest changing the set itinerary to match what we had done today.

I realize that, since I did not get to do the Skaftafell glacier hike, I can't really make a good comparison between the two, but arriving at our hotel at 6:30 pm instead of 11:30 pm makes up the difference. I have many puffin pictures, but I just returned last night from the Denmark Short Escape ABD and haven't even unpacked yet :P Let me know what you all think!
Thanks for that info! 5 less hours on the bus is always a good thing. Arriving at 11:30pm sounds awful. I wonder if subsequent trips this year are doing the regular itinerary or this one...

Although, I have to admit, a rugged hike up a glacier does not sound like something I signed up for! :eek:

Sayhello

That sounds like a great day. We liked everything about that long day, but we didn't get to the hotel until around 12midnight, and it was pretty painful, especially for the kids. Your day sounds like a really positive change.

Am glad you had a great trip!

We are on the 8/11 departure now and did not have the changes mentioned here. It was a brutally long day with lots of out-and-back bus time. Lunch was quite early, we waited for the cafeteria to open at 11, then dinner was served oh-so-slowly when we finally got to it around 8:30. Then a 2 hour drive to the hotel, which is the nicest of the trip, arriving at almost midnight. We then unloaded our own bags from the bus in the freezing rain. One good change was our flight was later, so we didn’t have to leave until 9:20 the next morning. I wish we’d had longer at the Vik hotel as it was comfortable and well-designed, and the breakfast was fantastic.

The move your own bags deal has not been a huge problem but this one night had me pining for ABDs of yore, when at least at the end of a long day, we would be able to go straight to our room and bags would be waiting for us there.

I actually was not very articulate on my above comment. I meant we liked all of the activities themselves, not necessarily all packed into one day :) I think shortening the day is the right thing to do.

We are on the 8/11 departure now and did not have the changes mentioned here. It was a brutally long day with lots of out-and-back bus time. Lunch was quite early, we waited for the cafeteria to open at 11, then dinner was served oh-so-slowly when we finally got to it around 8:30. Then a 2 hour drive to the hotel, which is the nicest of the trip, arriving at almost midnight. We then unloaded our own bags from the bus in the freezing rain. One good change was our flight was later, so we didn’t have to leave until 9:20 the next morning. I wish we’d had longer at the Vik hotel as it was comfortable and well-designed, and the breakfast was fantastic.

The move your own bags deal has not been a huge problem but this one night had me pining for ABDs of yore, when at least at the end of a long day, we would be able to go straight to our room and bags would be waiting for us there.

Ah yes, there is no "Tinkerbell" service in Iceland. Fortunately for us it was 60+ degrees and sunny/partly sunny the entire time we were there, we really lucked out. BTW how were Julli and Steffan? Drew actually broke his back on our trip when he slipped on a wet pool deck and he went home after our trip ended (we ended on 8/11), but Julli said his best friend Steffan was coming to fill in and that they would have a great time. I hope they've been good to you guys. And I agree, the hotel in Vik was the best one we stayed at.

I actually was not very articulate on my above comment. I meant we liked all of the activities themselves, not necessarily all packed into one day :) I think shortening the day is the right thing to do.

I agree! Maybe add on an additional day in Vik and split Day 3 up into two days...? And you're correct, all the activities were top notch and the only complaint I had was when my brother's dry suit leaked during the rafting on the last day and his entire outfit was sopping wet...funny for me, not so funny for him :P

Thanks for that info! 5 less hours on the bus is always a good thing. Arriving at 11:30pm sounds awful. I wonder if subsequent trips this year are doing the regular itinerary or this one...

Although, I have to admit, a rugged hike up a glacier does not sound like something I signed up for! :eek:

Sayhello

It was great! True, there was one person who opted out of the hike due to the exertion, but there were 8 and 10 year olds who were easily making the climb, it wasn't bad at all.

I agree! Maybe add on an additional day in Vik and split Day 3 up into two days...? And you're correct, all the activities were top notch and the only complaint I had was when my brother's dry suit leaked during the rafting on the last day and his entire outfit was sopping wet...funny for me, not so funny for him :P
Please tell me about the drysuits. I've heard they sometimes have to strap them around the neck to get them to be water-tight. I totally can't do that. Anything hugging my neck gives me a headache and makes me unable to breathe.

Sayhello

Ah yes, there is no "Tinkerbell" service in Iceland. Fortunately for us it was 60+ degrees and sunny/partly sunny the entire time we were there, we really lucked out. BTW how were Julli and Steffan? Drew actually broke his back on our trip when he slipped on a wet pool deck and he went home after our trip ended (we ended on 8/11), but Julli said his best friend Steffan was coming to fill in and that they would have a great time. I hope they've been good to you guys. And I agree, the hotel in Vik was the best one we stayed at.

We’ve actually been quite lucky with the weather in that it has not rained on any of our activities. We have only seen glimpses of the “mythical yellow thing” as it has been consistently overcast and cold but at least mostly dry.

We love having Stefan and Julli together! They are so much fun and have done a great job.

To work, the dry suits must basically choke you. DD’s leaked and she had a pretty bad experience. Mine worked and I was still miserably cold. It took hours for my feet and hands to warm up. However, we were the whiny exceptions- most everyone else, including DH, who got in the river, loved the rafting. It depends on your cold tolerance I guess

To work, the dry suits must basically choke you. DD’s leaked and she had a pretty bad experience. Mine worked and I was still miserably cold. It took hours for my feet and hands to warm up. However, we were the whiny exceptions- most everyone else, including DH, who got in the river, loved the rafting. It depends on your cold tolerance I guess
That is really, really going to be a problem. I can't even wear turtleneck sweaters, or anything that's against my neck. :( Crap. I'm pretty good with cold, but if I get too chilled, I get sick. I see a conversation with the Adventure Guides in my future. I was really looking forward to the rafting.

Sayhello

That is really, really going to be a problem. I can't even wear turtleneck sweaters, or anything that's against my neck. :( Crap. I'm pretty good with cold, but if I get too chilled, I get sick. I see a conversation with the Adventure Guides in my future. I was really looking forward to the rafting.

Sayhello
I thought it would choke, but it was fine-- I even took a dip in the river and remained dry. Btw, Drew is recovering (did not break his back, thankfully) and will be back for the September trip!

Please tell me about the drysuits. I've heard they sometimes have to strap them around the neck to get them to be water-tight. I totally can't do that. Anything hugging my neck gives me a headache and makes me unable to breathe.

Sayhello

So for me, I'm really small, only 5'4'' and 100 pounds, even the smallest drysuit was too big for me around the neck. My river guide Jax took some duct tape and taped it tight around my neck to make a seal. It never bothered me, I could breath just fine and felt comfortable (but Jax kept checking up on me to make sure I wasn't about to pass out). If you have no intention of jumping in the water, it won't be a problem, the drysuits fit comfortably around your neck and wrists and don't need to make a seal. This does come with the caveat, however, that one of the boats in our group flipped and people got wet against their wills. There isn't an alternative activity for this besides sitting with coffee/drinks in the main building, but we had about 7 people in our group opt to do that. From when you suit up until you return is about 2 hours, with 1 hour+ in the raft. About a quarter of the way through the experience you all stop for an awesome surprise, then continue on into a large lava canyon. About half way through you can get out and swim around, although "swim" is a generous term as the dry suits cause you to balloon up like a walrus XD. The water is cold on your face and hands only, and you can keep your face/hands out of the water if you choose by holding onto the boat. The suits cause you to float, so you don't have to work at all. I just floated down the river alongside the raft easy peasy.

IDK what other people were saying about the cold, unless your suit leaks or you didn't dress appropriately the temperature should not be a problem. You have the dry suit's "shoes" plus a pair of neoprene booties to keep the heat in. I never get cold ever, so I just had my pants and a t-shirt on underneath, but the guides recommend wearing a jacket as well. Neoprene hats and gloves are provided by the rafting company but many found them to be a hinderance. These rafting guides are the experts, and they did a good job of keeping people well within their comfort zone and helping them have the best experience possible.
wRwRVE
(derp it won't let me insert my own photos so I pulled this one off of google)

Hopefully this was helpful for you

ABD Postcard.001.JPEG this was Day 2 at Thingvellir
ABD Postcard.002.JPEG ABD Postcard.003.JPEG ABD Postcard.004.JPEG ABD Postcard.005.JPEG ABD Postcard.006.JPEG IMG_4782.JPGThis is Skogafoss, the extra waterfall we visited. A small group of teens and I went right up to the edge of the beach and got soaked but Drew got an epic picture of us....10/10 would get soaked again
IMG_4791.JPGthis is the bottom of the glacier we hiked up. It had volcanic ash on it from eyjafjallajökull's eruption a few years ago, and you could see said volcano from the top of it!

IMG_4813.JPG

I'm the one in the Norge hat...I got so much flack for wearing that hat, but my brother was wearing a Scotland hat and no one batted an eye...

I thought it would choke, but it was fine-- I even took a dip in the river and remained dry. Btw, Drew is recovering (did not break his back, thankfully) and will be back for the September trip!

oh thank goodness! There was a physical therapist on our trip and he was afraid, by the way Drew was moving, he had done some pretty bad damage. I'm glad to hear he is ok and he'll be back on his feet soon, he was a great adventure guide!

We were on the July 14-21 Iceland Adventure with Drew and Stefan. I'm so glad to know that Drew did not break his back and will be back in Sept. I guess he went home to Hawaii. Stefan is awesome also. We loved everything about the trip and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Are the drysuits the same as they use for rafting in Alaska (for those who have been on both trips)?

So for me, I'm really small, only 5'4'' and 100 pounds, even the smallest drysuit was too big for me around the neck. My river guide Jax took some duct tape and taped it tight around my neck to make a seal. It never bothered me, I could breath just fine and felt comfortable (but Jax kept checking up on me to make sure I wasn't about to pass out). If you have no intention of jumping in the water, it won't be a problem, the drysuits fit comfortably around your neck and wrists and don't need to make a seal. This does come with the caveat, however, that one of the boats in our group flipped and people got wet against their wills. There isn't an alternative activity for this besides sitting with coffee/drinks in the main building, but we had about 7 people in our group opt to do that. From when you suit up until you return is about 2 hours, with 1 hour+ in the raft. About a quarter of the way through the experience you all stop for an awesome surprise, then continue on into a large lava canyon. About half way through you can get out and swim around, although "swim" is a generous term as the dry suits cause you to balloon up like a walrus XD. The water is cold on your face and hands only, and you can keep your face/hands out of the water if you choose by holding onto the boat. The suits cause you to float, so you don't have to work at all. I just floated down the river alongside the raft easy peasy.

IDK what other people were saying about the cold, unless your suit leaks or you didn't dress appropriately the temperature should not be a problem. You have the dry suit's "shoes" plus a pair of neoprene booties to keep the heat in. I never get cold ever, so I just had my pants and a t-shirt on underneath, but the guides recommend wearing a jacket as well. Neoprene hats and gloves are provided by the rafting company but many found them to be a hinderance. These rafting guides are the experts, and they did a good job of keeping people well within their comfort zone and helping them have the best experience possible.
wRwRVE
(derp it won't let me insert my own photos so I pulled this one off of google)

Hopefully this was helpful for you

I think it must be really dependent on the day...the day we did the rafting, the river guides apologized for the wind, which with temps in the 40s really made for a rather chilly time on the river. It's also probably as you say...some people just don't get cold, while I always do. It's so subjective!

I'm 5'1", just over 100# and the kid's suit (yellow, xs) fit me perfectly. The neck was snug but not strangling. I had on silk base layers top and bottom, warm socks, a sweater, a fleece pullover, a down jacket, and a pair of pants. My body was ok while we were exerting ourselves, but my feet were blocks of ice the whole time and eventually that made me feel freezing cold all over. I shook for 30 minutes after we were out of the water. I had to keep reminding myself that there were the "feet" of the suit inside the neoprene booties and my feet weren't really wet, because they sure felt that way! I agree that the gloves were a hindrance. They got wet and stayed wet and my hands were very cold.

If I had it to do over, I would have worn two pairs of socks, I think. Not sure about the gloves. I thought about taking them off, but in the end decided wind on wet hands was worse than just wet hands.

One tip - the neoprene "hats" to wear under the helmet really helped keep my head warm and the wind out of my ears. BUT, the company does not have enough of them if all 40 go on the rafts. The hats are just hanging on hooks in the dressing room, while everything else you get handed, so some people missed them and it was too late by then. So if you want one, grab it as soon as you go in the dressing room!

I think it must be really dependent on the day...the day we did the rafting, the river guides apologized for the wind, which with temps in the 40s really made for a rather chilly time on the river. It's also probably as you say...some people just don't get cold, while I always do. It's so subjective!

I'm 5'1", just over 100# and the kid's suit (yellow, xs) fit me perfectly. The neck was snug but not strangling. I had on silk base layers top and bottom, warm socks, a sweater, a fleece pullover, a down jacket, and a pair of pants. My body was ok while we were exerting ourselves, but my feet were blocks of ice the whole time and eventually that made me feel freezing cold all over. I shook for 30 minutes after we were out of the water. I had to keep reminding myself that there were the "feet" of the suit inside the neoprene booties and my feet weren't really wet, because they sure felt that way! I agree that the gloves were a hindrance. They got wet and stayed wet and my hands were very cold.

If I had it to do over, I would have worn two pairs of socks, I think. Not sure about the gloves. I thought about taking them off, but in the end decided wind on wet hands was worse than just wet hands.

One tip - the neoprene "hats" to wear under the helmet really helped keep my head warm and the wind out of my ears. BUT, the company does not have enough of them if all 40 go on the rafts. The hats are just hanging on hooks in the dressing room, while everything else you get handed, so some people missed them and it was too late by then. So if you want one, grab it as soon as you go in the dressing room!
So you don't wear your own shoes/boots, you had footed suits and booties? And they were loose enough to put multiple pairs of socks on under? I'm thinking I will do that, because cold feet make me miserable, too. I sure hope the activity is worth all this!! :)

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter