I wish the new private island had a pool.

I'm a beach girl too. I've never understood the amount of people in the pool at a beach side resort. I mean I understand being in the pool, but if that's all I'm wanting to do I can do that much cheaper at a hotel that's not by the beach. Likewise, I'm not booking DCL to sit in a pool, private island or on ship.

Yup, small ships have hardly any pools. Pools are a big "want" for us on vacation.
I swim almost every day at the gym, and I am one of the few on my street without a pool in my backyard so just depends on what your lifestyle is I guess.

Does anyone else?
Sounds like a great idea. Nothing elaborate but some people would rather have a pool. I am not in that category but have friends that are. All are women. Seems like it has to do with being covered in sand. When we vacation, I am in the water and they stay at the pool. No issue with another alternative.

Perhaps a water park vacation would be better for you then.

I have a waterpark 2 minutes from my house. I didn't say I wanted a waterpark on this island, but a nice pool with a bar nearby...sounds lovely. The ocean isn't for everyone. My 18 year old son hasn't stepped foot in the ocean since 2012, when he was 8 and a fish swam up against his legs at...Castaway Cay. He freaked out and hasn't gone in the ocean since. And we live near the beach.

It gets really hot on the beach when you don't go in the water. A pool would be a refreshing option.

I'm a beach girl too. I've never understood the amount of people in the pool at a beach side resort. I mean I understand being in the pool, but if that's all I'm wanting to do I can do that much cheaper at a hotel that's not by the beach. Likewise, I'm not booking DCL to sit in a pool, private island or on ship.

This!! Even at the beach my family has gone to for years, even some of the ocean front houses have pools. We never stay ocean front, but the public walkway to the beach from the area we have rented a house from the past few times has houses on each side with pools. The last time we were there, I swear the family staying in one of them never went to the ocean - we'd walk to the beach about 9am and back about 12:30pm then back again around 3pm and back home at 5/5:30 and they were always in the pool. We never saw any indication that they had ever gone to the beach (no sand on their walkway, etc.). I could never imagine paying the weekly rate on an oceanfront house at the beach and never setting a toe on the beach!

This!! Even at the beach my family has gone to for years, even some of the ocean front houses have pools. We never stay ocean front, but the public walkway to the beach from the area we have rented a house from the past few times has houses on each side with pools. The last time we were there, I swear the family staying in one of them never went to the ocean - we'd walk to the beach about 9am and back about 12:30pm then back again around 3pm and back home at 5/5:30 and they were always in the pool. We never saw any indication that they had ever gone to the beach (no sand on their walkway, etc.). I could never imagine paying the weekly rate on an oceanfront house at the beach and never setting a toe on the beach!

Maybe they just like being AT the beach? It's pretty. It smells nice. The sunsets are gorgeous (on the west coast, at least). I haven't been in the ocean in a few years. We live by Newport Beach in CA and the water is often too cold to get into. PLENTY of people still go to the beach and rent beach houses. You don't need to ever go in the water. Having a pool where you can see the ocean is awesome. Evening bonfires are a big thing here as well.

Well other cruiselines private islands have wonderful pools along with their beaches ( ie: Harvest Caye w/ NCL). So I definitely see the draw for an island pool as it is way bigger than any cruise ship pool. I for one think Disney should have stepped up their game and included a really nice pool. I am right there with you Bobbi!

Maybe they just like being AT the beach? It's pretty. It smells nice. The sunsets are gorgeous (on the west coast, at least). I haven't been in the ocean in a few years. We live by Newport Beach in CA and the water is often too cold to get into. PLENTY of people still go to the beach and rent beach houses. You don't need to ever go in the water. Having a pool where you can see the ocean is awesome. Evening bonfires are a big thing here as well.

But you couldn't see the ocean from the pool - it was lower than the dunes it was behind. And bonfires aren't allowed at that beach (Ocean Isle, NC - and the water was warm). They seem to be more of a West Coast thing.

I know different strokes, but I looked up the cost of that house and I'd never spend that to not go on the beach.

i thought the agreement was they would have visitations when the ships are not in port or that there will be a specific area for them. not mingling with DCL passengers.
Possibly. The articles Ive read may have excluded this fact.

Having a big pool makes the beaches less crowded.

it gives options to families where some want to just swim in a pool while others want the beach.

plenty of people also like doing both and swapping from one to another.

pool temperatures can be controlled enabling people to swim when the ocean is too cold.

it provides something different to Castaway Cay.

massive own goal by not having one

I'm rather glad that they don't have one, though. So maybe it's not such a massive own goal at all.
But having one doesnt take away from the beach. In fact it adds to it as it spreads the crowds further. It makes the beach better.

plus it makes kids happy. Isnt that the whole point of disney? To make kids happy.

this is the private island pool I want, I am one of those crazy people that want both a pool and beach, but the pool has to have the ocean view and be amazing.
conrad-bora-bora-nui.jpg

But having one doesnt take away from the beach. In fact it adds to it as it spreads the crowds further. It makes the beach better.

plus it makes kids happy. Isnt that the whole point of disney? To make kids happy.
As I wrote previously, I don't think that many kids will be disappointed in Lighthouse Point. They don't seem very upset about Castaway Cay! But, to be honest, I'm not a kid and I don't have kids, so I don't much care what they want. Disney isn't just for kids!

A pool would take away from the overall aesthetics of the island and would make the project less environmentally friendly and sustainable. For those reasons, I would prefer not to have a pool.

The public areas will be separate from the cruise guest areas. There’s a layout map that shows that.

I think a pool area would be great. Aulani is on the ocean and has 3 pools. Most beach resorts do. If you don’t want it, don’t use it. They have the space to do it. An infinity pool that looks out into the ocean would be perfect. Doesn’t even need to be on the beach.

The public areas will be separate from the cruise guest areas. There’s a layout map that shows that.

I think a pool area would be great. Aulani is on the ocean and has 3 pools. Most beach resorts do. If you don’t want it, don’t use it. They have the space to do it. An infinity pool that looks out into the ocean would be perfect. Doesn’t even need to be on the beach.

Agree completely.

I have to LOL at the "a pool is not environmentally friendly" argument. As though parking a ship offshore and unloading thousands of passengers and their related garbage is?

Agree completely.

I have to LOL at the "a pool is not environmentally friendly" argument. As though parking a ship offshore and unloading thousands of passengers and their related garbage is?
Actually, it's not so bad. The ship uses a new dock that doesn't require dredging and is a fair bit away from the island itself. The trash is returned to the ship.

Besides, it's not about the overall impact. It's about not making that impact even worse. Disney had to do a lot to convince the Bahamian people that they were going to be as environmentally friendly as possible and that they would develop a small percentage of the land. Running a pool requires a lot of energy, a lot of chemicals and a lot of space. Who needs it when the ocean is right there? Better to spend your limited power and land budgets on other features.

If you are looking for a big pool, go on a line that offers that.
My family tried that and while we really loved Coco Cay, we didn't really like much else about RC and it's not worth it to go on a completely different cruise line when you only enjoy one day out of the vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter