I will probably get flamed for this but here goes...

I only have one leg. When I put on my "new" leg as my grandkids say i can only walk for a block or so. I do have my own evc. What i want to know do i get something from my Dr. or use the letter that tells what I have and go from there. No I can not walk up or down stairs or go up or down hills that is why I have the evc. Witch would be better to have if i need a GAC. Kathy
Given what you are saying about your needs, I think an ECV would be a better accomidation for you than a GAC. If you can't walk more than a block or so and you can't go up or down hills/stairs, a GAC would only help you avoid those in the attractions. There are lots of small to medium size hills in the parks and you will be walking a lot more between things outside of the lines than the distance you would be walking in the lines.

If you are using an ECV, you won't need a GAC to avoid stairs in lines. Just having the ECV lets the CM know that you need an accessible entrance and you will be routed in a way that avoids any stairs.
If you haven't already looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread (located near the top of this board), I'd suggest you check that out. There is a link in that thread to the official WDW Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities and a whole section about GAC (Guest Assistance Cards).

Bill, I don't think you were actually asking for reasons, but I thought it might be helpful to others to explain why we go ahead and use the GAC as a Fastpass.

Our two DDs are quadriplegic and use power chairs. The first time we tried to get a GAC, we were refused, so we tried getting Fastpasses at each ride instead. After a couple of rides, the girls were totally exhausted criss-crossing the parks to get the passes, and it was especially hard on my DD who is extremely heat sensitive due to a metabolic disorder.

So we tried sending my husband off to get the Fastpasses, but that left me alone to take care of two people who each need one-on-one help much of the time, including one who needs to be closely watched for signs of overheating or metabolic crisis. In an environment like a Disney park, it's hard for me to even walk with them into a building to cool down by myself, as they both have dystonic posturing in their arms, making it hard to get through doorways or narrow aisles without help (plus I couldn't move too far from where he left us because we didn't have cell phones at the time, and he couldn't have found us).

Once he came back with the Fastpasses, then we had to coordinate being at the ride at the right time with criss-crossing the parks to find the companion rest rooms, doubling back to first aid for them to rest out of their chairs, staying on top of frequent feeding times for DDs metabolic disorder, etc.

So, the next time we went to WDW, I pushed a little harder to get a GAC. We don't use the GAC at a lot of rides because there really aren't a lot of the rides with FP that DDs can even ride.

Someone mentioned getting up early so they could ride before the parks got crowded. This really doesn't work for us because it takes quite a long time to get both the girls washed and dressed, medications mixed and given, meds, approriate snacks, cornstarch and other needs packed in backpacks for the day, and lots more I won't go into. Plus, we can't go ride a few rides, then have breakfast. We absolutely have to feed DD in our room right after she gets up. Oh, and all this is after getting up 4-10 times during the night to shift their positions in bed.

And because we can't get to the parks early, the Fastpasses will either be for times that are late enough that we can't use them (the girls can't last very long at the parks) or will be out for the day.

What I'm trying to say is that DDs situation is a lot more complicated that just using wheelchairs, and having the GAC makes a difference in their having the opportunity to ride rides and enjoy their time at WDW.
We are in somewhat the same situation as you, although I only have one DD with disabilities to be concerned about.
We can't get her to the parks early either. We did try it a few times, but it meant getting up very early to get all the things done that she needs done (by someone else since she can't get ready at all without help). It also meant that we ended up with a very hypotonic girl (think of a 90 pound Raggedy Ann doll), which meant she could only get on rides where she could stay in her wheelchair and even then, she had trouble holding her head up. Later in the day she got very hypertonic (think 90 pound Barbie doll with all stiff limbs and tunk), which not only made it hard to transfer to rides, but also made it easy for her to 'pop' out of her wheelchair (even with seatbelt and foot/ankle straps).
We do try as much as possible to get Fastpasses if we can (with one child with a disability, I can send DH over to get Fastpasses). Sometimes, getting Fastpasses doesn't work. We never know when we get one whether we will be able to use it - will she have a seizure or some other problem and be in any condition to use it many hours later??

Over the years, we have figured out that many parks also have a late in the day time when many attractions can be gone right on with little wait (like Kali River Rapids is very busy early in the day, but late afternoon, you can usually get on pretty much as fast as you can manouver thru the line). So, doinng that has minimized our use of the GAC, but those are things we found out by going to the parks many times and observing things. A service like TourGuide Mike (a Theme Parks Board Sponsor) might help a lot of people figure out things like that and might be very useful for people who need to avoid crowds and general 'busy-ness'. The GAC only helps with waiting for attractions, but knowing when it's busy where can help to avoid long lines at places like restaurants, bathrooms, etc.

There are times when we do need to use the GAC - like without a GAC, it was almost 3 years after Test Track opened before we were able to get to the park early enough to ride it.

Sue,

Yes, I think your situation and ours must be very much alike. Your comparisons to rag dolls and Barbie dolls was perfect. I'll have to remember that.

Over the years, we have figured out that many parks also have a late in the day time when many attractions can be gone right on with little wait (like Kali River Rapids is very busy early in the day, but late afternoon, you can usually get on pretty much as fast as you can manouver thru the line).

Would you mind sharing any other tips like this you can think of? We are planning a trip for this summer and thinking we may not go to the parks until late afternoon or early evening because of DD's heat intolerance. I don't think I've ever read anything before along the lines of how to tour in the evenings. It's always about getting to the parks early.

Juliah
The hottest time of day is not actually when most people think that it is. It's usually around 5 pm. The Weather Channel website can give you hourly temperature information so you can plan your day. The morning really is the coolest & least crowded, but gets crowded fast. I have also heard that the Extra Magic Hours are most useful in the early morning, that's what we plan to do.

What we do it ride until it's too hot & crowded, go back to the hotel and then come back in the evening. That's what siestas are for:thumbsup2 . I agree with Sue that lots of rides are indeed empty around supper time, but it might still be too warm, especially in the summer.

By the way, I think the AK is very hot, hotter than the other parks. It might have to do with the vegetation (humidity) and general lack of shade there. If you can stand rain, I think it's actually the best one to go to when it's raining . The animals will be out because it's not hot, and if there's lightning, there are more attractions that are still open. Florida has more lightning (and more lightning deaths) than any other state and Disney is pretty quick to close attractions because of this.

I'll second that the hottest time of the day isn't noon. As I said previously, heat affects my asthma, and my "danger zone" is from 2:00 pm until 5:30-ish.

Anne

I have no disability, but travel often with my mother who does have mobility issues. She doesn't own a scooter, but uses the complimentary ones at the grocery store and walmart and target. I have been to WDW over 30 times. I am a nurse and have always had a pet peeve about people judging other people. I am afraid it is part of our culture. People are judged by their looks.

I have absolutely no problem what so ever at WDW seeing people use a GAC for a ride. I feel that the person or family who has one, has a reason for it. You just have to stop judgements and have a little faith/trust in the process that WDW uses. Maybe a few people "fool" the system, but in all, it isn't that many. I think there are more and more people using them, because it is they only way they can.

It is very easy to critisise the OP and a couple of people who have made supportive comments, but it is a position which has some validity.

Firstly although I have not seen the comments as I am not long to these boards it seems that some people will try to get an undeserved GAC. If these were removed from the system there would be less pressure on the system which should benefit all for whom the GAC is genuine requirement.

There is also the matter of perception, this is hard to ovecome as the number of situations when an issue is not apparant to others. I think their is no solution to this other than by instilling confidence in all that the system is fair.

I must admit to seeing family groups wheel one person up to a ride and another away from the ride. Although it is possible that they have two people who have partial need of a wc the thought that comes to mind is that the wc is not really needed.

See this does not 'bother' me. I know that if a CM sees it they will do what's appropriate. Now do I think it is horrible? HECK yeah but on vacation if I worried about all the wrongs of the world I would feel like I was home LOL. Sometimes I think people need to just let the magic overcome them and just focus on their part of the World. I am sure all these issues have come up in discussions with the powers that be at Disney and they feel continueing the benefit of the GAC the way it is outweighs the people who abuse it.

i think most people who qualifly for a GAC use it with good judgement
but some people have the me myself and i problem- roll with it because it's
YOUR TRIP TO TO ENJOY- don't let an person of not good judgement ruin
your time not worth it

See this does not 'bother' me. I know that if a CM sees it they will do what's appropriate. Now do I think it is horrible? HECK yeah but on vacation if I worried about all the wrongs of the world I would feel like I was home LOL. Sometimes I think people need to just let the magic overcome them and just focus on their part of the World. I am sure all these issues have come up in discussions with the powers that be at Disney and they feel continueing the benefit of the GAC the way it is outweighs the people who abuse it.

To be honest I have'nt been aware of the GAC in my trips to the park and have no problems with it. I was responding to the post with possible issues and my observations of the use of wc.

Thank you for reminding me of something -- I can't fix everything and all the rule breakers in the world (and in the World) aren't my responsibilities.

DH has been telling me over the last 18 hrs -- I am only responsible for how I REACT to Dear Aunt's behavior and outbursts. I am not responsible for the behavior and outbursts. I should do what I can to make sure her meds, her diet, her sleep, etc are on target -- i.e. control what I have control over -- and let the rest go.

Y'know the WDW-Idiots (and I refer to those who want to scam the system or are so self-centered that the entire world is about them) aren't in my control either -- I can only control if I let it ruin my WDW experience(s).

Thank you,
EG

same thing if you are concerned about what people will think if you use a chair/ecv...

if you think about it, people arent really thinking about you. they're thinking about what you're thinking about them. so to heck with them. you have a good time in WDW and do what is best for you and your family.

Thank you for reminding me of something -- I can't fix everything and all the rule breakers in the world (and in the World) aren't my responsibilities.

DH has been telling me over the last 18 hrs -- I am only responsible for how I REACT to Dear Aunt's behavior and outbursts. I am not responsible for the behavior and outbursts. I should do what I can to make sure her meds, her diet, her sleep, etc are on target -- i.e. control what I have control over -- and let the rest go.

Y'know the WDW-Idiots (and I refer to those who want to scam the system or are so self-centered that the entire world is about them) aren't in my control either -- I can only control if I let it ruin my WDW experience(s).

Thank you,
EG

Your welcome. I used to worry too much about what others thought and paid attention to that the injustices that I saw going on. My son being born put alot of that to rest. He teaches me that no matter how hard I try life is not in my control. Plus others irrational reactions are not that big of a deal anymore.

Dr Phil says it well that we are only responsible to our reaction to anothers action. So on vacation I try to let others take care of the policing of the rules. I am in a happy bubble. It has been burst a couple of times but I try to shake it off and make a new bubble.

Once I had to get a GAC. I was staying onsite alone with the kids right after I had surgery. I wasn't allowed to lift over 10 pounds and my youngest had just learned to walk and wasn't very steady on his feet. With doctor's note in hand, I went to guest services to explain my situation. The CM there was confused how she could help me. She got her supervisor who decided the best thing to do was to give me a GAC that said to use the stroller as a wheelchair. This worked out great. As for the resort, we had a 3rd floor room right by the elevator. I used the valet service to get the bags to and from the room. It was our first ever relaxing trip to WDW. Usually we are on the go from morning to night. My walking so slow, made us see things we otherwise missed in the hussle and bussle of a busy vacation or day trip.

Once I had to get a GAC. I was staying onsite alone with the kids right after I had surgery. I wasn't allowed to lift over 10 pounds and my youngest had just learned to walk and wasn't very steady on his feet. With doctor's note in hand, I went to guest services to explain my situation. The CM there was confused how she could help me. She got her supervisor who decided the best thing to do was to give me a GAC that said to use the stroller as a wheelchair. This worked out great. As for the resort, we had a 3rd floor room right by the elevator. I used the valet service to get the bags to and from the room. It was our first ever relaxing trip to WDW. Usually we are on the go from morning to night. My walking so slow, made us see things we otherwise missed in the hussle and bussle of a busy vacation or day trip.
Thanks for sharing.
That's a very good example of you not knowing what they could provide or exactly what you needed, but being able to tell them what would be a problem for you. I'm glad they were able to come with an inventive solution to your needs.

I suppose the same could be said for people who "rent" the wheelchairs and ECV's... if they really needed one, they'd own one. I wouldn't be against the documentation idea- I could bring a filing cabinet full of medical evals, reports and diagnoses... but the CM's need to know how they can help- not why they should.
:grouphug:

That's not necessarily true. My mom doesn't need one in her everyday life, but she doesn't walk for miles every day in her regular life either. In order to keep up with my kids, she would need a wheelchair so she doesn't end up done in by 11 am!
Additionally, when my daughter was about 18 months old, we had to get a GAC to use the stroller as a wheelchair. We only used it when we needed it, but my husband has a horribly bad back a and I had just had surgery on my wrist. We couldn't carry our daughter through every attraction. We didn't realize when we arrived that we couldn't take the stroller in, being able to take it through attractions enabled us to stay, whereas otherwise we would have had to leave without doing much of anything.

In fact, after they changed the rules a few years ago, I was terrified that we wouldn't be able to get them for our autistic sons, and almost cancelled our trip.

Thank god I didn't.

I believe Disney had my children in mind when they created the GAC - it allows for the level of accommodation they need, whether it's using the FP or other alternative entrances, being able to take multiple rides, or having a quiet place to wait. At our last visit, we didn't have a single issue with a CM - in fact, most were absolutely amazing - on the PoTC, the CM took us through the back entrance, giving us a tour along the way; on Fast Track and Splash Mountain, they let the boys just remain on seated for multiple rides. Maybe it's that I'm up front with the CMs about their conditions, and as good Disney people, they understand how tough these boys day-to-day lives are, and just want to add enough magic to last a little while. It's pretty clear, once you spend 5 seconds with my boys that they're far from typical (though DS8 has come a long, long way.) But our last trip to WDW was absolutely amazing, and I believe it was mostly because of the GAC.

We're heading to DL next week, and I no longer fear even asking for member services for new ones - I just plan on taking our old ones from WDW, as all our needs were met by the stamps we received. The ADA provides for appropriate accommodation, and that's what my kids get. I only wish that more, not less, parents with autistic children thought about utilizing the GAC - maybe they'd brave the Mouse rather than pass due to the seemingly overwhelming challenges.

Do people cheat and get the GAC? I don't know - I'm too busy enjoying my children complete and utter happiness to notice what other people are doing.

We all need to not judge.You never know what's going on in a persons life.

You would take one look at my husband and think he was cheating.He was born with a club foot.He can walk on it and have no problem.The problem is that he can't stand on it for very long.His ankle does not bend.It really hurts when there is a slight angle--we might not even feel it-and then he compensates and his other foot and leg starts to hurt.His legs are also 1in different.We went to DL in December for 7 days.On day 6 he could hardly walk so we went to guest services and ask for a GAP.They said maybe we should get a wheelchair for him.The point was he could walk and was worried he would take a wheelchair from someone who absolutley needs one.The CM huffed but gave us one.All she needed to do was look at it-kind of gross but I'm not a foot person anyway.He said it was a great tool for him and it made it much more enjoyable.He also felt VERY guilty.So next time you question someone that doesn't look like they need it,remember they just might be in pain and feeling guilty because of people like you(and sometimes me).We also don't use it we have FP's.Like someone said before KARMA.

Oh did I mention I have a son with Autism?He looks so normal but acts so "different".However,he hasn't needed the GAP,so we never got one for him.Another point I'm not abusing it.Thought about getting one but did a test drive with him and he doesn't need it.Makes him feel "normal".

main.1169436127.jpg

I must admit to seeing family groups wheel one person up to a ride and another away from the ride. Although it is possible that they have two people who have partial need of a wc the thought that comes to mind is that the wc is not really needed.

If I saw this happening in a park, I'd just assume the people switching off and on know what they're doing. :) Maybe because....Yep!....we'll be doing it ourselves in a few days. (woohoo! :woohoo: ) One sister has post-polio syndrome, one sister has a prosthetic leg, and I'm pre-surgery on one knee and post-surgery on the other. Between the three of us we'll have a wheelchair and an ECV but we'll be switching off and on throughout the day since we all need as much walking exercise as we can stand. None of us could get through 7 days of parks under our own power, though.

If I saw this happening in a park, I'd just assume the people switching off and on know what they're doing. :) Maybe because....Yep!....we'll be doing it ourselves in a few days. (woohoo! :woohoo: ) One sister has post-polio syndrome, one sister has a prosthetic leg, and I'm pre-surgery on one knee and post-surgery on the other. Between the three of us we'll have a wheelchair and an ECV but we'll be switching off and on throughout the day since we all need as much walking exercise as we can stand. None of us could get through 7 days of parks under our own power, though.
Exactly.
I know of a lot of people who have done just that.

I see nothing wrong with it either, but if people are obnoxious about it (like when the kids/teenagers are doing it), it can kind of be a slap in the face to those who use wheelchair full-time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter