I will probably get flamed for this but here goes...

disprincesspatty

Earning My Ears
With what I am hearing, I don't see that there is anyone who can not get a GAC! You would have to be the 100% picture perfect family. And I just don't know many of them. My family will be going in May and we are, DH (46) high blodd pressure, myself (44) thyroid problems (not overweight), DD (21) eye sight 20/650, DS (20) asthma, eye sight 20/450, DDBF (21) ADHD, and DS (16), asthma, eye sight 20/400. I would never think of getting a GAC, I think of it as something for the people who could not go to Disney without it. If a parent is able to wait in line for a fastpass so that their child doesn't have to stand in line then they should. I would never accuse anyone of faking disability, but do you not think there are people that are taking advantage of the GAC also? I think if you can possibly do it without the GAC, you should. I have seen too many reasons on here that I personally don't thing require a GAC. More power to the people that truly need them, and I hope they get every accomodation available to them, but I think there is great abuse of the GAC cards. Of course I can not prove this, but I think everyone thinks it but is afraid to say it on here. If we all have GACS, then the parks should just start taking reservations for when you can come in.

Hi, not sure how representative this is of others on this board since it's my first post and all...

It's not about a diagnosis or condition, it's about the severity of the condition. If the condition is so severe regardless the diagnosis they can't enjoy the park, and a few simple accomodations would be the difference in participating or not then a GAC should be considered. It's simply allowing that family to enjoy disney the same way the typical family does.

With what I am hearing, I don't see that there is anyone who can not get a GAC! You would have to be the 100% picture perfect family. And I just don't know many of them. My family will be going in May and we are, DH (46) high blodd pressure, myself (44) thyroid problems (not overweight), DD (21) eye sight 20/650, DS (20) asthma, eye sight 20/450, DDBF (21) ADHD, and DS (16), asthma, eye sight 20/400. I would never think of getting a GAC, I think of it as something for the people who could not go to Disney without it. If a parent is able to wait in line for a fastpass so that their child doesn't have to stand in line then they should. I would never accuse anyone of faking disability, but do you not think there are people that are taking advantage of the GAC also? I think if you can possibly do it without the GAC, you should. I have seen too many reasons on here that I personally don't thing require a GAC. More power to the people that truly need them, and I hope they get every accomodation available to them, but I think there is great abuse of the GAC cards. Of course I can not prove this, but I think everyone thinks it but is afraid to say it on here. If we all have GACS, then the parks should just start taking reservations for when you can come in.

There will always be "cheaters", that's just life.

I would prefer it to stay the way it is , and yes pretty much anyone could get one, then see a change that would require me to constantly "prove" I'm a person with a disability.

I also would not want a CS to make that decision, or anyone for that matter.

But your point is well taken.

Be Big,
Alan

I agree with that 100%, however are there people who say "well we could do it without a GAC, but I don't feel like waking early enough to get a fastpass, or "well we have an excuse, lets use it to our full advantage. There are obviously families that wish they never had to use a GAC but do have to. I think the privleges shoud be reserved for those families.

There will always be "cheaters", that's just life.

I would prefer it to stay the way it is , and yes pretty much anyone could get one, then see a change that would require me to constantly "prove" I'm a person with a disability.

I also would not want a CS to make that decision, or anyone for that matter.

But your point is well taken.

Be Big,
Alan

Thank you.

Like Alan, said, there will always be cheaters. We deal with it and move on. I have an obvious disability but would never dream of getting a GAC because I have no need for one.

I don't really know how many cheaters could get away with requesting a GAC. My mother needs one and we were questioned extensively as to the reason she needed it, because you can't look at her and tell she has a disability. but she wouldn't have been able to go to WDW with out it. But as another poster said there will always be one or two that are going to break the rules. She only really used the Handicapped entrance a couple of times and was never asked to show her GAC card, probably because she was on an ECV.

I think the CM's are very attentive and not very many people can get away with cheating. At any of the entrances there were several CM's directing traffic and assisting guests with disabilities. My observation may be off, because while it was crowded, it wasn't as crowded as say Christmas day

I don't really know how many cheaters could get away with requesting a GAC. My mother needs one and we were questioned extensively as to the reason she needed it, because you can't look at her and tell she has a disability. but she wouldn't have been able to go to WDW with out it. But as another poster said there will always be one or two that are going to break the rules. She only really used the Handicapped entrance a couple of times and was never asked to show her GAC card, probably because she was on an ECV.

I think the CM's are very attentive and not very many people can get away with cheating. At any of the entrances there were several CM's directing traffic and assisting guests with disabilities. My observation may be off, because while it was crowded, it wasn't as crowded as say Christmas day

I have seen too many reasons on here that I personally don't thing require a GAC. More power to the people that truly need them, and I hope they get every accomodation available to them, but I think there is great abuse of the GAC cards.

Oh yeah...ITA!

I truly hope that is the case. I just personally know 2 families, 1. DBIL and wife who use handicapped parking wether their son is with them or not, and a Minister's wife who says she needs bottom floor of every hotel she stays in because she had broken her ankle recently, of course it was 3 years ago but she still gets a kick out of it. I guess I am just synical from these people. I just figure, if I know this many , there has to be more out there.

I truly hope that is the case. I just personally know 2 families, 1. DBIL and wife who use handicapped parking wether their son is with them or not, and a Minister's wife who says she needs bottom floor of every hotel she stays in because she had broken her ankle recently, of course it was 3 years ago but she still gets a kick out of it. I guess I am just synical from these people. I just figure, if I know this many , there has to be more out there.

Your not "cynical" just a realist.

Like I said there at the park in numbers every day.

At one time I spent a ton of time at Disney and it would amaze me how a whole family could be so unfortunate to all be in a EVC.........

But it doesn't matter. Back in my day we would say "Bad Karma" comes to those that cheat society, so maybe payback for those are a come'n.

Like Lindsay said "get over it", if you don't it will consume you.
As a realist you will soon see that is true.

Be Big,
Alan

I'll help you beat off the flames because I agree with you. some of the reasons are really stretching it. I feel for the people who really need the GAC because the way it is going it is going to get a lot stricter. When we were there last on IASW the line was literally 3 minutes if that and as we were getting off, down the ramp came a family with their GAC out , no physical disability or wheelchair in the group. They just wanted to bypass the incredibly small line because they could, now that is abuse.

I'll help you beat off the flames because I agree with you. some of the reasons are really stretching it. I feel for the people who really need the GAC because the way it is going it is going to get a lot stricter. When we were there last on IASW the line was literally 3 minutes if that and as we were getting off, down the ramp came a family with their GAC out , no physical disability or wheelchair in the group. They just wanted to bypass the incredibly small line because they could, now that is abuse.

Ok, as I said the park gets hammered with cheaters but......

Are you a human MRI machine ? Do you have X-Ray vision, ESP ?
When you make a comment like the above expect to be called out.

Now lets be productive, what would your solution be.
Remember before you answer there are legalities here.

Be Big,
Alan

Your not "cynical" just a realist.

Like I said there at the park in numbers every day.

At one time I spent a ton of time at Disney and it would amaze me how a whole family could be so unfortunate to all be in a EVC.........

But it doesn't matter. Back in my day we would say "Bad Karma" comes to those that cheat society, so maybe payback for those are a come'n.

Like Lindsay said "get over it", if you don't it will consume you.
As a realist you will soon see that is true.

Be Big,
Alan

I am sure you are right, what goes around will eventually come around.

I know a family that knows about my son's disabilty and how we only use the GAC when absolutely necessary...then they have the nerve to tell me stories of how they "get away" with their abuse of it. It personally makes me sick b/c she has no idea of what life is like for us on a daily basis. Morons are among us!:sad2:

Wow that is sad. :( I am amazed someone would use that spot without the person they have a plate for. I would expect them to know better ... more so than someone who does not have a disabled person in thier family if you kwim. We just recently got the form filled out for our DS a hangtag. I have put it off and put it off because it seemed so permanant to me I guess. We have always just carried him in but now he is getting to big to throw over my shoulder if the walk is to long for him and his kwalker.
I am sure there is a wide spread abuse of the GAC. I have actually noticed it just about every place that you go and get "special" treatment. DS is a big WWE fan and when we go to signings of the stars I have seen people we know from our town. They are never in W/C when we see them out and about in town but yet for the signings when they know they will get extra time with the star they never get out of thier rental w/c. :confused3 I have said it before and will say it again there is a special place in hell for people like that ...

With what I am hearing, I don't see that there is anyone who can not get a GAC!

Well, that's not quite true. I'm a paraplegic who uses a wheelchair and can't walk at all. But I wouldn't be given a GAC because the lines are mostly accessible. I go through the standby line or get fastpasses for most rides.

I see alot of people here who have GACs saying that they use it only as a last resort and that they usually just use normal fastpasses. Of course I also see others who use the GAC as a fastpass but I can't say that it's an abuse since I'm not them and don't know what prevents them from getting a normal fastpass.

Yes I will flame you!

I can't believe people who really have disabilites would really stand in judgement of others. This is what is happening here. You are judging whether someone is truely disabled or how they should manage their disability. As I said in my other post, you can't tell my DD is disabled. She needs the GAC, and you would look at her and stand in judgement saying there is nothing wrong with her. When in fact her disability could kill her. She gets off the rides and it looks like she is a cheater. Your short sided view is rude, and incredibly insensitive. There maybe those who cheat, but who are you to be the judge.

As you can tell this is a very sore subject with me. I feel we are constantly having to defend ourselves because others think it is their job to watch over everyone else. I think you need to answer for yourself and you have no business attending to others affairs that don't concern you.

Not to get in a debate. and no I am not an xray machine but please explain to me what reason they would need to use their GAC when they were walking down without difficulty a ramp the same degree and length, the boats stop for everyone,and the wait in the reg. line was a minute or 2? I am having trouble figuring out that need. IMO abuses like these are going to make it hard for people who really need it and don't do anything to help the general public understand or be any more tolerable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter