• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I went...

out to eat with my family tonight - and it was awesome! It felt very safe - the tables were all at least ten feet apart, paper menus instead of the reusable ones, all condiments were brought in small disposable cups. All staff wore masks and gloves, and my family wore masks until our food came. It was sooo nice to be out - the waitress got almost a 40% tip just because I was in such a good mood. :cool1:
Yay! What state?!

Thats so great! Glad you had a wonderful time!

We had one of the nicest days, weather wise, in WI of all 2020 so far.
Wish I could be sipping a drink overlooking a lake sunset at an outdoor bar....but alas, we are still under lock and key:(

Same here but in NY. I was so bummed that we couldn’t go any place to have a drink outside.

Ours open 25% capacity Monday. I’m wanting to go to the japenses steakhouse when they open Since it was out last eat in meal before all this and thought it would be fun for our first back.

We are in Georgia. My two daughters & I went out mid afternoon Thursday to a nearby Mexican restaurant. Not a lot of diners inside, they had removed all the tables so only booths were available so every other one was in use. Regular plastic menu, disposable utensils sealed in bag with napkin, salt/pepper packet. I really don't remember if waiter had on a mask but pretty sure he did. Everything was wonderful.
Today around 6pm me, my two daughters & 2 teen grandsons went to Applebee's. Had to sit at 2 different tables as they said they could only seat 4 to a table. Theirs was set up every other table with the tables opposite were the same but the ones directly across were empty so the boys were across & down a bit. Funny thing is tho, I could have probably leaned across & touched the people at the other table across & down the other way. Weird. Tables were numbered so they told us which number to sit at & seat ourselves. We had to walk pretty close by other diners to get to table. Not many at bar area so they were spaced good. Paper menu, real silverware in an unsealed plastic bag. Condiments in those little plastic packets. All the servers had masks on. We were seated close to the area where people were coming in a side door to pick up or place to go orders. A lot of those people were coming in and the area was so small they were all right next to each other, no social distancing there. Hostess was barely civil, waitress was good. My food was really good, lol.
Honestly, your description of Applebee's sounds sad and kind of horrible. I'd rather just not go. :(

Very glad that my wife is such an excellent cook. We have not missed eating out at all. In fact, quite the opposite, and we are savings hundreds of dollars each month as a result. We may never go back to our old habits simply because this has produced a much healthier lifestyle for us.

For those who are eating out, I am happy for you.

Very glad that my wife is such an excellent cook. We have not missed eating out at all. In fact, quite the opposite, and we are savings hundreds of dollars each month as a result. We may never go back to our old habits simply because this has produced a much healthier lifestyle for us.

We never really ate out inside a place all the time but we have gotten fast food just ever so slightly less than we used to.

Regardless my birthday is tomorrow; what normally would be filled with a nice, rare treat of spending a bit more than we normally would at a restaurant (aside from our anniversary), sitting with family out at a restaurant, won't be that way. We got steaks from a restaurant curbside for our anniversary in April but no it wasn't the same as we ate the steaks at home compared to eating at the restaurant (or what would have been in Vegas as we had a trip then). We missed step-father-in-law's birthday in March as well, etc. Mother's day will be another missed time spending with my family, missed my aunt's birthday in early April having a family meal out.

For us it's not reduced to someone in the family being an excellent cook or not. But happy for you that you got lucky to have such an excellent cook in the family. We do fine ourselves but I wouldn't call us excellent :)

I'm in Georgia but haven't been out much yet. I did go to the grocery store Friday for the first time since mid-March, hubby has been going for us. I do go into the office once a week to check mail and frankly, our shelter in place rules were so lax that just about everyone was still working here in Athens. The only difference I could tell was UGA and public schools and bars were closed. I did notice when I went into the office on Friday, which was the day the shelter in place was lifted, that traffic was worse. I drive by a little local coffee shop that has been closed but Friday they had what looked like a walk up window open. People were about 10 deep, shoulder to shoulder and nary a mask in site. When I went to the grocery store, all the staff were wearing masks but only about half the shoppers. Saw one couple that both had masks on their persons but neither over their nose or mouth. The woman had hers pulled down below her chin and the man had his hanging from his ear. I did wear one but only because hubby is so worried about it that he insisted. Not that he would have known but I don't lie to him and I told him I'd wear it. I would love to go out to eat but again, he isn't ready yet so I'm guessing it will be awhile for us.

Regardless my birthday is tomorrow; what normally would be filled with a nice, rare treat of spending a bit more than we normally would at a restaurant (aside from our anniversary), sitting with family out at a restaurant, won't be that way. We got steaks from a restaurant curbside for our anniversary in April but no it wasn't the same as we ate the steaks at home compared to eating at the restaurant (or what would have been in Vegas as we had a trip then). We missed step-father-in-law's birthday in March as well, etc. Mother's day will be another missed time spending with my family, missed my aunt's birthday in early April having a family meal out.

Happy early birthday! We're in the same boat here - my birthday was on Thursday and my mom's was Wednesday. With our back to back birthdays we always celebrate together, usually going out to eat both days, and some kind of day trip the weekend before or after. We live together so we still got to "celebrate" but this year all that involved was getting takeout both nights. This definitely isn't a good year for spring birthdays :grouphug:

I'm also an excellent cook, at least I think so! :p

We eat very healthy at home, but I do miss going to a restaurant, enjoying food that I normally wouldn't cook, having a cocktail, then a glass of wine, appetizers, entrees, maybe dessert, talking, the buzz of the other patrons.

Yeah, I really miss going out to dinner.
:(

Happy early birthday! We're in the same boat here - my birthday was on Thursday and my mom's was Wednesday. With our back to back birthdays we always celebrate together, usually going out to eat both days, and some kind of day trip the weekend before or after. We live together so we still got to "celebrate" but this year all that involved was getting takeout both nights. This definitely isn't a good year for spring birthdays :grouphug:
Aww you're so sweet!

Happy late birthday to both you and your mom :hug:

Yes, def. the experience has slightly shifted in what one used to do. I kinda feel like in a weird limbo if that makes sense?

We never really ate out inside a place all the time but we have gotten fast food just ever so slightly less than we used to.

For us it's not reduced to someone in the family being an excellent cook or not. But happy for you that you got lucky to have such an excellent cook in the family. We do fine ourselves but I wouldn't call us excellent :)
May the Fourth be with you! Happy Birthday!!!

My DD turns 21 on Cinco de Mayo. She is super bummed that she can't do the traditional 21st Birthday Bar Crawl in her college town, so we are going to recreate the bars and their signature drinks here at home. I'm making the signs for each place today. I hope you have a great birthday even though it will be different from normal.

May the Fourth be with you! Happy Birthday!!!

My DD turns 21 on Cinco de Mayo. She is super bummed that she can't do the traditional 21st Birthday Bar Crawl in her college town, so we are going to recreate the bars and their signature drinks here at home. I'm making the signs for each place today. I hope you have a great birthday even though it will be different from normal.
Thank you! :hug:

Aww and what a rough year to be turning 21 on cinco de mayo on a tuesday! I totally feel for her. That's a creative way though of making the experience at home and so thoughtful too :)

Hope your daughter has a great birthday too! She'll have an interesting story to tell having a recreation of bars at home that's for sure :D

I doubt if NJ is going to open restaurants anytime soon. The last time I was out with my sister was to a restaurant at the end of February. I miss her, and I miss going out to eat.

I feel the same way. At least the parks are open was able to get in some good walks.

Restaurants are still closed for dine in here. A few are defying the law, but most are just take out. Take out works just fine with me. What's the hurry to return to dine in?

We've had 3 immediate family birthdays during the lockdown. It kind of sucks. Especially when you're the one who usually does the cooking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter