I See a Line, I Wait In It ~ A January 2016 TR - Completed 12/29

I think of POR as a more "adult" resort - we stayed in a nice room for our honeymoon there. We couldn't afford a Deluxe, but it was still a nice adult hotel. Depends on what you want :)

We went to the boat dock and waited a little bit before boarding a boat. We passed a number of beautiful sights on this boat ride, including many signs for Downtown Disney (not pictured, but I felt vindicated after slipping up and using that name several times over the course of the trip) and a pretty Mickey head:
I think still calling it Downtown Disney is justifiable. There are still people who say MGM Studios.

And for those of you who were wondering … yes, I found that creepy. I don’t need to be swimming around a giant sea serpent.
I thought it was supposed to be a dragon from Mardi Gras... :rolleyes1

Once I had taken my creepy picture, we continued along the path (which, btw, was beautiful and peaceful):
::yes:: I loved it!

Beth and I were talking about our impressions of the resort, and I realized that POR kinda reminded me of an old mansion. I’ve been to many, many old houses and mansions (we come from a tourist family), and while I like them, they don’t all blow me away (and when they do, it’s often the inside, not the outside (I like gilded ceilings) … with the exception of maybe Kykuit, where the views are what’s most amazing about it). POR felt like that … nothing drew me in about it. Maybe the rooms are nice, but the outside bored me.
I can definitely see this. I actually kind of liked the calm, understated theming. But the princess rooms would have blown you away. :rolleyes1

As we were waiting for the boat, there were some Dopey runners
All runners are Dopey. :rolleyes1

(This was taken with the cell phone. The same cell phone that normally can’t take a decent picture. I don’t understand my cell phone camera sometimes.)
Well, clearly you don't understand it. Otherwise they'd all be this great! Nice picture!

I love your little tour of POR/POFQ! We've stayed at both and I really love POR! Our favorite area is the Alligator Bayou and not the mansions. I really don't like it to rain during the days in Disney. It can rain all night long as far as I'm concerned, but give me nice, sunny days!! I'm sorry Minnie wasn't out when you looked for her. It's so funny, I was watching thunderstorms in Disney on You Tube last night. OMG!!! I'm obsessed!!!! :yo-yo:

POR does look nice enough...but I just think it's too big....although I'd take any Disney resort right now lol. You got some great pics.

And for those of you who were wondering … yes, I found that creepy. I don’t need to be swimming around a giant sea serpent.
Still better than swimming at that mouth of the glowing-eyed evil clown that's waiting to devour you and spit you out... :scared:

POR felt like that … nothing drew me in about it. Maybe the rooms are nice, but the outside bored me.
I totally get that. I've NEVER had any interest in POR until the Royal Guest Rooms. Those are the only reason it's on my bucket list now, and I think it's because it's themeing... Deep South... is where I live and grew up. So, like you said, it's nothing new for me! :rolleyes:

I’m pretty impressed at myself – that’s a great picture (at least by my standards). Go Sarah!
Good job, kiddo! :thumbsup2

POR has two sections and it seems you mainly stuck on the side that they call the Mansions. I've only stayed on the side called Alligator Bayou which isn't mansiony but rather more lush and beautiful in my opinion. I haven't stayed at Carribean beach or Coronado springs but POR is my favorite moderate.

We definitely didn't get to explore as much of the resort as I had hoped - I do wonder if we would have enjoyed the Alligator Bayou area more. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to go back and explore again eventually.

Good job on the hotel sign. I never even thought of trying to get a photo of beach club.

Thanks! I always try to take picture of hotel signs.
Park icons, on the other hand ... not so much. I have no pictures of any park icons on my camera from the last trip (we do have photopass pictures and a few of Beth's pictures, though)

I really want to stay at POR one day. It sounds like you and Beth had a nice walk! I think these are very cute, subtle but a nice touch.

From what I hear, a lot of people love staying at POR. It was definitely cute ... but a little too subtle for us.

Great picture!

Thanks!

Looking forward to reading more!

Hopefully I'll have another update soon!

We had walked the other direction, from POR to POFQ, when we went resort hopping. We liked Riverside a lot more than FQ, but I can see why so many people like the compact FQ. We then took the boat to DS.

I definitely liked Riverside more than FQ, but I still didn't love it.

You walked an impressive number of steps that day. I can't believe how much you got done that day. :)

Running a 10K gives you a lot of steps :)

I think of POR as a more "adult" resort - we stayed in a nice room for our honeymoon there. We couldn't afford a Deluxe, but it was still a nice adult hotel. Depends on what you want :)

I don't think of it as "adult" vs. "child" ... I see it more as a matter of taste. I know adults who love the over the top theming and kids who are more comfortable with something more subtle.
It's definitely a matter of preference. It's a little more elegant than the values, but that's not really what appeals to us. It probably is an amazing place for a honeymoon, though!

I think still calling it Downtown Disney is justifiable. There are still people who say MGM Studios.

Okay, good. I'm not a terrible person for slipping up occasionally. Awesome.

I thought it was supposed to be a dragon from Mardi Gras... :rolleyes1

That could be it. I don't really know anything about Mardi Gras.

::yes:: I loved it!

As much as I didn't love it, POR is definitely a peaceful and beautiful resort.

I can definitely see this. I actually kind of liked the calm, understated theming. But the princess rooms would have blown you away. :rolleyes1

We actually almost stayed in the princess rooms once. I really think they would have been up our alley.

All runners are Dopey. :rolleyes1

I prefer to call us the 8th dwarf ... healthy.

Well, clearly you don't understand it. Otherwise they'd all be this great! Nice picture!

Oh, I definitely don't understand my cell phone camera. I don't understand my regular camera. I can take apart a laptop, but cameras confuse me. I'm weird.
And thanks.

I love your little tour of POR/POFQ! We've stayed at both and I really love POR! Our favorite area is the Alligator Bayou and not the mansions. I really don't like it to rain during the days in Disney. It can rain all night long as far as I'm concerned, but give me nice, sunny days!! I'm sorry Minnie wasn't out when you looked for her. It's so funny, I was watching thunderstorms in Disney on You Tube last night. OMG!!! I'm obsessed!!!! :yo-yo:

I think next time we need to spend some time checking out Alligator Bayou.
Rain during the day at Disney really shouldn't be allowed - it's not cool!

POR does look nice enough...but I just think it's too big....although I'd take any Disney resort right now lol. You got some great pics.

It was definitely much bigger than I expected.
But yeah ... any Disney resort is better than home!

Still better than swimming at that mouth of the glowing-eyed evil clown that's waiting to devour you and spit you out... :scared:

Boardwalk is next on our list of resorts to explore. So maybe after my next trip I'll have a picture of the creepy clown ... or not.

I totally get that. I've NEVER had any interest in POR until the Royal Guest Rooms. Those are the only reason it's on my bucket list now, and I think it's because it's themeing... Deep South... is where I live and grew up. So, like you said, it's nothing new for me! :rolleyes:

I would definitely stay in the Royal Rooms, but other than that ... yeah, no interest for me.

Good job, kiddo! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

Looks like a relaxing way to spend the rest of the day (and a much better way to spend a rain day).
Love the photos especially the POP sign.

I totally agree with the creepy sea-serpent slide. MY DS is a big-time pool kid, and I just can't picture myself hanging out at that pool all afternoon. Also, the Boardwalk has creepy pool vibe with that big clown face. Just not for us :sad2:

Looks like a relaxing way to spend the rest of the day (and a much better way to spend a rain day).

It was definitely a relaxing way to spend the afternoon - we enjoyed it!

Love the photos especially the POP sign.

Thanks!

I totally agree with the creepy sea-serpent slide. MY DS is a big-time pool kid, and I just can't picture myself hanging out at that pool all afternoon. Also, the Boardwalk has creepy pool vibe with that big clown face. Just not for us :sad2:

We don't really get to spend much time at the pools (which is sad, because we love swimming, but it's just how our schedule works out), but if we did ... I definitely wouldn't want to hang out at that pool. Ditto with the Boardwalk clown pool.
I really like the pools at the values, actually - nice theming, but not scary. No slides, though :(

I somehow missed your last two updates!

The rain that Friday morning was miserable - but it made for really light crowds when we first got to Hollywood Studios!

On our Disney Springs day, we met up with a cousin who lives in Florida, and she was so excited about that bakery! She's been vegan for as long as I can remember, so being able to buy snacks at a bakery was a big deal for her - she stocked up.

Port Orleans looks so pretty, but I totally get what you're saying about the understated theming. That pool is definitely creepy.

I love that you go exploring areas other than the parks/Disney Springs (and trust me, it's taken many floggings for me to stop saying "Downtown Disney" ;)). I've stayed in both the Alligator Bayou section and a Royal Room at POR and have photos/review on my blog if you're interested (too many photos/text to upload here), just PM me if you'd like the link. In fact, we just stayed in a Royal Room last month for the Star Wars half and AB for the very last (sniff!) Tower of Terror 10-Miler. It's a great race weekend resort because it's pretty laid-back and quiet and transportation is really quick. My only complaint was that the food court is a little lacking, but it's probably due to its proximity to Disney Springs (and yes, I almost typed Downtown Disney. You are not alone!). Looking forward to what you do next!

The rain that Friday morning was miserable - but it made for really light crowds when we first got to Hollywood Studios!

That's the one advantage of the rain - it really thins out the crowds!

On our Disney Springs day, we met up with a cousin who lives in Florida, and she was so excited about that bakery! She's been vegan for as long as I can remember, so being able to buy snacks at a bakery was a big deal for her - she stocked up.

It's definitely awesome that they have a bakery there that caters to special diets - sometimes it can be hard to find vegan or gluten free or dairy free iteams, and I really love that this option exists at Disney Springs!

Port Orleans looks so pretty, but I totally get what you're saying about the understated theming. That pool is definitely creepy.

It's definitely pretty (minus the creepy pool) ... it's just not really for me.

I love that you go exploring areas other than the parks/Disney Springs (and trust me, it's taken many floggings for me to stop saying "Downtown Disney" ;)). I've stayed in both the Alligator Bayou section and a Royal Room at POR and have photos/review on my blog if you're interested (too many photos/text to upload here), just PM me if you'd like the link. In fact, we just stayed in a Royal Room last month for the Star Wars half and AB for the very last (sniff!) Tower of Terror 10-Miler. It's a great race weekend resort because it's pretty laid-back and quiet and transportation is really quick. My only complaint was that the food court is a little lacking, but it's probably due to its proximity to Disney Springs (and yes, I almost typed Downtown Disney. You are not alone!). Looking forward to what you do next!

This was the first time we've really explored a resort that wasn't one we're staying at, but we definitely want to do it again - I really loved being able to see an area I'd never seen before.
I will definitely PM you for the blog link - if we end up doing the Princess Half Marathon at any point, I think it would be fun to stay in a Royal Room, so I'd love to read your review and see your photos.
We're not big food court people (we bring a lot of our own food), so that's not a deal breaker for me. I'd probably be heading to Disney Springs for food half the time anyway...

This was the first time we've really explored a resort that wasn't one we're staying at, but we definitely want to do it again - I really loved being able to see an area I'd never seen before.
I will definitely PM you for the blog link - if we end up doing the Princess Half Marathon at any point, I think it would be fun to stay in a Royal Room, so I'd love to read your review and see your photos.
We're not big food court people (we bring a lot of our own food), so that's not a deal breaker for me. I'd probably be heading to Disney Springs for food half the time anyway...

Awesome, will PM you back. We really loved the Royal Room, and I'm more of a tomboy than a princess! And of course, I forgot about the food part for you (sorry)! :)

We passed a number of beautiful sights on this boat ride, including many signs for Downtown Disney (not pictured, but I felt vindicated after slipping up and using that name several times over the course of the trip)

Exactly!!!

My best friend Cindy was chastised by a CM for calling HS MGM sometime after the name changed. But then long after that, I found some Disney materials- either maps or something on the website still referring to MGM. No need to get all snippy!

I have not been to POR or POFQ, so I really enjoyed your tour. My friend Cindy (same one mentioned above) just stayed there a couple of weeks ago. Her first time on property. She really liked it, although the quarters were a bit cramped. Two adults and 3 teenage boys. :crowded:

Nice job on the POP Century Sign- it is not cut off by the light post! I take pictures of resort signs, too and use them as one of the first pictures in my photo albums. Yes, I actually print pictures and make albums from my trips!

:goodvibes

Last edited:
My best friend Cindy was chastised by a CM for calling HS MGM sometime after the name changed. But then long after that, I found some Disney materials- either maps or something on the website still referring to MGM. No need to get all snippy!

Our first time at DHS was about a week after the name change ... and most of the stuff still said MGM. Disney is not very fast about getting their act together with the name changes ... we can't be blamed for sticking to old habits!

I have not been to POR or POFQ, so I really enjoyed your tour. My friend Cindy (same one mentioned above) just stayed there a couple of weeks ago. Her first time on property. She really liked it, although the quarters were a bit cramped. Two adults and 3 teenage boys. :crowded:

Definitely sounds cramped! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Even though we didn't really love the resorts, they're definitely very nice and I could see why people like them so much.

Nice job on the POP Century Sign- it is not cut off by the light post! I take pictures of resort signs, too and use them as one of the first pictures in my photo albums. Yes, I actually print pictures and make albums from my trips!

Thanks!
I print pictures too ... but I don't make albums. I do memory boxes - basically, I put all of my "memories" from the trip in a box so that I can go through and look at the pictures, maps, etc later. I definitely printed this picture!

Day 5, Chapter 1: Rainy Day/Bright Night
Saturday, January 9th, 2016
Saturday was another non-park day - this one was being spent mostly in the hotel room relaxing, with some fun plans for nighttime adventures. I'm not going to go into so much detail about the earlier parts of the day ... but I will make up for it with nighttime pictures. We have over 200 pictures taken after 8 PM.

I got up somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00 AM ... it felt nice to finally sleep in on vacation! I had picked up a coffee-like beverage from the food court the day before (illy issimo Cappuccino for those who are curious), so I grabbed that out of the fridge and had that with my chocolate chip cookie (from Erin McKenna Bakery NYC) for breakfast. Breakfast was definitely a hit - the cookie was absolutely fantastic (my favorite thing we got from the bakery), and the cappuccino (which I've had at Disney before) was pretty good.
Beth woke up a little after me and had some of my coffee and the leftovers from the cinnamon roll for breakfast.

After playing cards for a little bit, we got dressed and said some prayers before getting ready for lunch. Lunch was food we had brought from home. After lunch we napped for a few hours, and then we woke up with plans to take a walk around the Pop/AoA area.

When we woke up from our nap, we ate a little, and then got dressed to go out for our walk. We looked out the window ... and it was raining. We decided to play cards for a little while to see if the rain stopped ... it didn't. We ended up having to skip our walk, which was sad, because it was really the only time we had planned for exploring the hotel.

Eventually it was time to change into our nighttime clothing (aka denim skirts), pack our bags, and put on our medals so that we could go out and have ourselves some fun. We ventured out into the rainy night and made our way to the Magic Kingdom bus stop.

MK was not our destination for the night, it was just a stop along the way. Once we got to MK, it was time to hop on the monorail:

WDW2016_Day5_002.jpg

(For the record, we probably would have been better off with the express monorail, but I’m stupid)

As our monorail pulled up, I realized that we wouldn’t be riding on just any monorail …

WDW2016_Day5_003.jpg

We got to ride on the Star Wars: The Force Awakens monorail! This probably would have been more exciting if we were Star Wars fans, but even as regular people, we (okay, I) thought it was kinda cool.

We hopped on the monorail and passed through the Contemporary Resort before heading to our destination, the Transportation and Ticket Center. There, we hopped off the monorail and headed to another monorail:

WDW2016_Day5_004.jpg

Even though we weren’t using a park ticket this night, we wanted to spend some time in a park. And that meant monorail through Epcot.

We did take lots of pictures of Epcot from the monorail. Some of them came out okay. Here are my favorites:

WDW2016_Day5_006.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_007.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_010.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_012.jpg

(This one is my actual actual favorite … and it was taken on my crappy phone … I wonder if I’m finally learning to use this phone that I’ve had for over 2 years)

WDW2016_Day5_016.jpg

Once we reached the Epcot station, we were told to get off the monorail.
We did not. We stayed on the monorail to head back to the TTC.
Yes, that’s right, we broke the rules. Don’t expect it to happen again.

Once we got back to the TTC, we saw a topiary. And when we see topiaries, we take pictures:

WDW2016_Day5_020.jpg

We hopped back on the resort monorail to head to our next destination.

WDW2016_Day5_022.jpg

So, where were we headed?

WDW2016_Day5_023.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_025.jpg

The Grand Floridian!
We were only inside briefly, as our destination was actually the boat dock. On the way there, we passed a pretty fountain, and Beth got an excellent picture of it:

WDW2016_Day5_028.jpg

There’s a nightly occurrence on the Seven Seas Lagoon that we’ve wanted to see for the last few trips, but we just haven’t had time. Since we had a no-park day, we figured that the Electrical Water Pageant was a great way to spend that night. After some consultation with the DISboards (coordinating this with other events for the night), we decided that the GF boat dock would be a great place to watch – so that’s where we went. We got there a little early, so we sat down on the (slightly wet) benches and chatted a bit with the people around us. And ate some snacks. Finally, the floats arrived, and the music and fanfare started … so we got up to take some pictures, because that’s what we do.

WDW2016_Day5_035.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_044.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_051.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_057.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_064.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_071.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_072.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_076.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_080.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_081.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_089.jpg

WDW2016_Day5_090.jpg

As you may have noticed, there are two different angles here. I moved partway through the water pageant to an angle that I thought was a little better. Beth stayed back for most of the pageant, but joined me towards the end. That’s why some of the pictures have the Contemporary in the background and some have bushes in the background.

So … what did we think?
We liked it. It’s no Main Street Electrical Parade. It’s a cute little tacky thing, and while I’m not going out of my way to see it every trip, if I get a chance to see it again, I certainly would. If you’ve got a free night and want to take the time to see it, I definitely recommend it. Make it a monorail hopping night and watch this from somewhere on the lagoon. It’s not going to change your life, but it’s definitely cute.

Once the Electrical Water Pageant was over, we stuck around until it was time for the next part of our night plan.

To find out more about that … stay tuned.

Coming Next: Things That Go Boom In The Night

Last edited:
That Electrical Water Pageant is something that I wanted to see but never managed to squeeze in on our trip. It's one of those things I think that's great if you have the time...but I didn't want to make it into such a huge production to go that everyone's like...we travelled 45 minutes for THAT? Because my family is like that lol...while "I" on the other hand...would travel 45 minutes at Disney for a lot sillier reasons lol as I think would a lot of the peeps around here lol

Ooh, the Star Wars monorail! I, for one, think that that is very cool!

And what a great idea to take the mono through Epcot so you go inside the park without going inside the park. Love Spaceship Earth at night. What rebels for not getting off the monorail, hee hee!

Great photos of the Electrical Water Pageant! I've only seen it once because we had friends staying at the Poly so we met them at Tambu Lounge (I will never turn down a Tambu invitation) and then watched the show. You had a great view from GF! Looking forward to the upcoming booms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter