• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I remember _______ at the World...

Dr.Girlfriend

DIS Veteran
When we were driving into MK on Thursday, I told my husband how I remembered how excited I was as a kid when we got close enough to WDW to turn on their AM station to listen to parking instructions, attractions in the parks, etc. I kinda miss that old station.... ;)

What do YOU remember? Besides cheaper prices, I mean. ;)

Taking the monorail through the Contemporary and thinking "Anyone who stays here must be rich", LOL.

I also remember when you could actually HEAR the howling dog outside of the Haunted Mansion from way out in Liberty Square. When did they turn that down/off?

Watching movies in the Penny Arcade. I recently saw two of the old machines in the (I think it was) Beach Club resort. One of them was broken, though.

I remember the ticket books where you had to use the different tickets for different rides. I know this really makes me look old.

I remember the ticket books where you had to use the different tickets for different rides. I know this really makes me look old.

Not any older that the rest of us. You're in good company.

I remember the characters roaming around without "handlers". I remember just running into Minnie, or Donald and they were just walking down Main St. USA. And I remember the photo shop on Main Street having costumes that you could dress up in and look like you were from 1870's or the Wild West.

I remember The old song from the Carousel of Progress...
Now is the time...
now is the best time...
now is the best time of our lives...

When we were driving into MK on Thursday, I told my husband how I remembered how excited I was as a kid when we got close enough to WDW to turn on their AM station to listen to parking instructions, attractions in the parks, etc. I kinda miss that old station.... ;)

What do YOU remember? Besides cheaper prices, I mean. ;)

I remember that! I used to love switching to that station because it meant you were almost there!

I was also just telling my mom about waiting in line to meet the characters in certain "character greeting areas." She didn't know they didn't still just wander around like they used to.
I still LOVE Disney, but do miss some of the oldies but goodies.

i remember river country :sad1:

i could have spend all 2 weeks there and never entered a theme park.

i remember river country :sad1:

i could have spend all 2 weeks there and never entered a theme park.

I never went to River Country, but I vividly remember the brochures and commercials.

I also never went to Discovery Island and honestly didn't know it even existed until recently!!

Waiting on line for over an hour just so i could ride 20,000 leagues under the sea.I miss that old attraction

I always remember two things from when I was a kid at WDW. One is the voice on the Monorail. I still look forward to hearing that voice. My wife and I always take the Monorail into Magic Kingdom, at least on the first day. The other thing I can remember was that first walk into Main Street. The smell of the bakery and the "old school" mickey balloons around. I still love it but those memories will always stick with me

Oh the memories!...
- monorails with doors that had to be individually shut and there were just row of benches to sit on...no standing
- needing a ticket to ride the monorail if you weren't staying at a resort
- only 2 resorts...the Contemporary and the Polynesian..and having to book at least a year in advance to get a room.
- Rooms at the Polynesian being $45.00!! And I think that was Lagoon View.
- The old tomorrowland with Mission to Mars (Stiches Great Escape), Circle Vision 360 (Laugh Factory) and Eastern Airlines If You Had Wings (where Buz Lightyear is)
- The long drive from the highway/interstate through Disney property to get to the Main Gate, and waiting in traffic jams to get to the main gate.
- Discovery Island and River Country
- swimming in the 7 Seas Lagoon and it not being an issue
- the "wave" machine on an island in 7 Seas Lagoon that generated little waves at the Polynesian beach
- real shell necklaces when you checked into the Polynesian
- tickets for rides, that then moved to a card where they stamped your entry date on it when you went through the turnstill. Think it was called a "passport." You then had to show it to get on each ride.
- Skyway..and the oh soooo long line!
- Swan Boats
- the original Diamond Horseshoe when it was an old saloon show
- the Walt Disney Story on the right when you entered Main St.

I remember going to Disneyworld in 1983 and taking my whole family with me.
I was stationed in Tampa and went to wdw just about every weekend.
When I got out I set up a family package. This included a week stay at the contempory hotel unlimited entry into the parks and 3 meals aday. The package was 1640.00 total price. The unique thing was that we used a like credit card to get thru the turnstyles and when we went onto the rides we would show the CM the cards instead of tickets.
I also remember the model plane demos in disneyland and in wdw the bumper flying saucers.

Dan-tot:3dglasses

Oh the memories!...
- swimming in the 7 Seas Lagoon and it not being an issue
- the "wave" machine on an island in 7 Seas Lagoon that generated little waves at the Polynesian beach
- real shell necklaces when you checked into the Polynesian
- Skyway..and the oh soooo long line!
- the original Diamond Horseshoe when it was an old saloon show

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!:flower3:

I remember plastic juice containers shaped like an orange, grapes, and I think strawberries that were sold from carts full of ice. I wish I could find a picture but I definetly remember those.

I still have one of the ticket books. Any takers?!?!?! :confused3 jk

I wouldn't dream of parting with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter